Stilus Sram SX transmission lifespan

Ken

May 30, 2020
Northumberland
Now ridden 2700 mls on the Stilus mainly in the Cheviots, Pennines and Northumberland.
From new ran it with 2 chains, alternated, ultra sonic cleaned, soaked in Scott oil and nursed.
Time now for a new cassette and chains due to some chain jumping and jangling on the small gears. Tried every adjustment known to man but resigned now to the inevitable. Allowing £200 for a 12 spd cassette and 2 chains. Price per mile approx 8p over 2700 mls. A bit of a shocker but at 80 it is a damn good buy! I would be most interested to learn about other Stilus transmission life spans, indeed on other e bike models as well.

taxidriver50005

Jun 17, 2020
Skelmersdale
2900 miles now on second chain... No jumping ect... Always lubed before every ride with wet oil on first chain... Trying dry oil on second chain but unsure if it will last the distance the first did.

MickS

Sep 10, 2020
Poland
I've changed the cassette and front chain ring after 7300 km. 3 chains consumed during that period (cleaned and lubed not as often as it should be). The 3rd chain, when new, was slipping on the 17 and 15 teeth cogs, but after ca 500 km - it stopped. But it was a sign for me that for the next chain I will need to change the cassette (which I did). At the end of life of that 3rd chain, the front chain ring started to suffer from chain-sucking. Therefore I've decided to bit the bullet (read: spend quite a lot of money) for the change of the whole drivetrain. The lessons learned - change chains earlier than 0.75% of "stretch". The original SX derailleur still working and doesn't want to break :)

Ken

May 30, 2020
Northumberland
Unbroken chain! Mileage up to 3400. At about 2700 miles compared the two chains which have done service from new. The KMC gold was noticeably stretched by more than 1/2 link compared to the SRAM SX so the KMC was binned. The SX was then given the hot wax immersion treatment and re fitted. I have been very pleasantly surprised, another 700 miles and now with the gaps around the pins filled with wax the SX is performing very well. Not as good as new, occasional difficulty in making an exact gear selection but I can live with that. At least no skipping and ripping the cassette and quietly confident of at least making 4000 mls before a complete swop out.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles