Levo Gen 2 2020 Turbo Levo Owners Thread

James_C

Nov 25, 2019
Kent, UK
3 years is impressive ? do you maintain them in any way? The stumpy I have, never touched the jockey wheels!

I see this more of a warranty issue, did you speak to the bike shop you bought it from about it? Berkshire told me the mech isn’t usually covered however I’m not sure Specialized can pick and choose what they do and don’t warranty

i

Mesut

Nov 14, 2019
West Sussex
My rear mech just imploded. Cage broken and 1 jockey wheel missing. Luckily I was going very slowly, and amazingly only about 1.5 miles from home and it was all downhill.

Berkshire cycles guessed what the issue was, the bearings are seized. Opened one and its caked with mud inside! Not bad going for 6 weeks old, although it has seen some rough conditions. I haven't jet washed, only used a hose. Cant really see how I can either avoid mud, or water to wash it off either.

anyone else had issues with mud/water ingress on SRAM GX jockey wheels?

Yes, same here. 1st one completely jammed and had to get whole rear mech replaced. Then brand new wheel jammed after 4 weeks. Like you, I just wash with hose. The shop can't understand why they jam so quickly. I'm now wondering if it's caused by drying with an air line.

James_C

Nov 25, 2019
Kent, UK
Yes, same here. 1st one completely jammed and had to get whole rear mech replaced. Then brand new wheel jammed after 4 weeks. Like you, I just wash with hose. The shop can't understand why they jam so quickly. I'm now wondering if it's caused by drying with an air line.

Did you check what was inside the bearing ? you can lift the seal off with a toothpick or similar.
my LBS are saying they don't have many come back with problems. But I can't help thinking its just going to fill up with mud again. I'm not that keen on cleaning the bearings out weekly.

James_C

Nov 25, 2019
Kent, UK
its curious you mention air line. I use a pet dryer which has a similar effect. I wonder if we are blowing the mud in? I only use the dryer when its clean though...

Mesut

Nov 14, 2019
West Sussex
Indeed. I use an electric air duster (designed for blowing dust out of a computer). But only after the bike has been cleaned. But Ive started the think that that may be the cause when the LBS said they couldn't understand why the problem occurred so quickly.

Geoff_O

Feb 16, 2020
UK (but in Italy)
Hi, my first post so I hope I am in the right group. I bought a 2019 Turbo Levo Comp Carbon last year and 10 days ago, I bought a (new) 2020 Turbo Levo Comp (with the 700 wh battery). Other than the fork and bigger battery the 2 bikes are basically the same.

I know it is early days but I have noticed that despite having the bigger battery (should not be a factor in power consumption other than slight increased weight) the new bike seems to be using conspicuously more power for a given distance/duration than my other (old) bike. So, to check this I did the same (short) circuit on both bikes, using the same power settings on each bike and with very few variables in the conditions; both were recorded on the mission control app. The information is below: (Both bikes were set to the same default assist levels).
1581947166066.png

Just from this example it can be seen that the 2020 levo is using approx. 15 % more power (total consumption) for the same ride than the 2019. This was just a short test ride but I am seeing something similar on my other rides - but it might be even more. I am concerned that this bike seems to be using more of the battery than the old one. The new bike has display firmware 20.B.0 and the old bike has 22.B.0 (it was updated at the service) so it might be linked to the Firmware update I suppose – but frankly I doubt it.
Is it possible the new bike motor is still running in (and therefore has more resistance to overcome) or is something else going on? Grateful for anyone’s informed thoughts.

jbodnar

Patreon
Subscriber
Nov 23, 2019
California
Hi, my first post so I hope I am in the right group. I bought a 2019 Turbo Levo Comp Carbon last year and 10 days ago, I bought a (new) 2020 Turbo Levo Comp (with the 700 wh battery). Other than the fork and bigger battery the 2 bikes are basically the same.

I know it is early days but I have noticed that despite having the bigger battery (should not be a factor in power consumption other than slight increased weight) the new bike seems to be using conspicuously more power for a given distance/duration than my other (old) bike. So, to check this I did the same (short) circuit on both bikes, using the same power settings on each bike and with very few variables in the conditions; both were recorded on the mission control app. The information is below: (Both bikes were set to the same default assist levels).
View attachment 26098

Just from this example it can be seen that the 2020 levo is using approx. 15 % more power (total consumption) for the same ride than the 2019. This was just a short test ride but I am seeing something similar on my other rides - but it might be even more. I am concerned that this bike seems to be using more of the battery than the old one. The new bike has display firmware 20.B.0 and the old bike has 22.B.0 (it was updated at the service) so it might be linked to the Firmware update I suppose – but frankly I doubt it.
Is it possible the new bike motor is still running in (and therefore has more resistance to overcome) or is something else going on? Grateful for anyone’s informed thoughts.

Just curious, how much does each bike weigh?

Are you running the same tires on both?

I have different wheelsets/tires for my 2020 Comp, but I haven’t tried comparing them in terms of battery usage.

Geoff_O

Feb 16, 2020
UK (but in Italy)
I haven't got accurate weights for them to hand (but might check when I get home) but I think they will be pretty close, less for the extra battery weight ( a small % of the whole rider/bike combination). Tyres are the same - although I run the 2019 tubeless. If anything the 2020 had higher tyre pressures, so probably less rolling resistance I would have thought.

Supratad

Nov 13, 2019
North Yorkshire, UK
There was a chap on that eBay they have now, selling a single Code R rear brake and lever, minus the clamp. Would that swap with the clamp from the Level T? Would the currently installed hose also fit the Code R ?

Oddball question, would or could my 2001 Shivers be made to fit?

Mesut

Nov 14, 2019
West Sussex
Did you check what was inside the bearing ? you can lift the seal off with a toothpick or similar.
my LBS are saying they don't have many come back with problems. But I can't help thinking its just going to fill up with mud again. I'm not that keen on cleaning the bearings out weekly.

The first time they said jammed with mud/crud. The second time they said it had dried out. That made me think maybe the air line is the issue.

Mtbvkk

Feb 21, 2020
Seattle, wa
I test rode a 2018 Levo today and and loved it, so am ordering a 2020. I'm torn between the Comp and Base. I know the Comp has a lot of value for the additional 1000$ but I want to upgrade the RE brakes on the base and the comp also comes with the REs so that's not an option. I didn't like the RE's at all on the demo. I have Code R and RSC on my fuse and stumpy respectively and the RE's had no modulation in comparison and I want a similar feel on all my bikes. So with that additional add-on cost, I'm leaning towards the Base model. The big question is the range for me. Any idea of the difference between the levo 500wh and 700wh battery in terms of elevation and hours? I probably do max of 15-20 miles with 3000 feet of elevation over 3-5 hours. I won't be needing anything covering more than that for the near term. So I'm wondering if the 500wh will suffice and I can get the 700wh later when my wallet fills thick again if I feel ambitious for longer rides.

Geoff_O

Feb 16, 2020
UK (but in Italy)
I test rode a 2018 Levo today and and loved it, so am ordering a 2020. I'm torn between the Comp and Base. I know the Comp has a lot of value for the additional 1000$ but I want to upgrade the RE brakes on the base and the comp also comes with the REs so that's not an option. I didn't like the RE's at all on the demo. I have Code R and RSC on my fuse and stumpy respectively and the RE's had no modulation in comparison and I want a similar feel on all my bikes. So with that additional add-on cost, I'm leaning towards the Base model. The big question is the range for me. Any idea of the difference between the levo 500wh and 700wh battery in terms of elevation and hours? I probably do max of 15-20 miles with 3000 feet of elevation over 3-5 hours. I won't be needing anything covering more than that for the near term. So I'm wondering if the 500wh will suffice and I can get the 700wh later when my wallet fills thick again if I feel ambitious for longer rides.
I would think the 500wh is plenty for what you intend. You might want to dial down the power settings to extend the range but you still get plenty of support on lower settings. Based in Europe I work in metric, and early on I used my 2019 comp carbon (500 wh) on a ride with over 1000m climb and 50km distance and still had about 30% left in the tank. But - as an afterthought we are limited to 15 miles per hour before the power cuts out. State-side you are on 20 mph - so that will have a reasonable effect, depending on your settings.

Mtbvkk

Feb 21, 2020
Seattle, wa
I would think the 500wh is plenty for what you intend. You might want to dial down the power settings to extend the range but you still get plenty of support on lower settings. Based in Europe I work in metric, and early on I used my 2019 comp carbon (500 wh) on a ride with over 1000m climb and 50km distance and still had about 30% left in the tank. But - as an afterthought we are limited to 15 miles per hour before the power cuts out. State-side you are on 20 mph - so that will have a reasonable effect, depending on your settings.
Thanks a lot for the feedback. That’s really helpful! On my test ride with me being in bad shape I mostly used eco mode and trail occasionally. Turbo rarely. So that might work.

Geoff_O

Feb 16, 2020
UK (but in Italy)
Thanks a lot for the feedback. That’s really helpful! On my test ride with me being in bad shape I mostly used eco mode and trail occasionally. Turbo rarely. So that might work.
With the mission control app you can easily tune each of the 3 settings to give you different (customised) support levels and power output. The default settings are fine but you can further reduce them to extend range and still get plenty of assist for when you really need it.

danrodcr

Jan 9, 2020
Virginia USA
Hi. I am considering
Really enjoying the extra range of the 700wh battery! Razzed around one of the local bike parks all afternoon in Turbo with plenty left at the end of the ride :p

Very fortunate in Hobart, so much trail minutes from the city CBD. Lunchtime escapes on the eMTB are sweet!

View attachment 18419

View attachment 18420
Hi. I am considering the same bike. Did you upgrade the fork and rear shock? What are your impressions with the one that came with the bike? Txs

TomH79

Jan 5, 2020
Finland
Yo!
I got 2020 comp wich my buddy likes to trade to his 2019 comp carbon. He sugested that we swap only framesets but we both keep our batteries so i continue using 700wh bat and he stick with 500wh.
So if I put a little money i do get carbon frame but is it worth it? It will be around 700g lighter than alloy comp.

How about the warranty with motor/frame?
Does the motor still have 2year warranty even im not original buyer? And the frame i got 2 year warranty( original owner has lifetime warranty).

Mtbvkk

Feb 21, 2020
Seattle, wa
Yo!
I got 2020 comp wich my buddy likes to trade to his 2019 comp carbon. He sugested that we swap only framesets but we both keep our batteries so i continue using 700wh bat and he stick with 500wh.
So if I put a little money i do get carbon frame but is it worth it? It will be around 700g lighter than alloy comp.

How about the warranty with motor/frame?
Does the motor still have 2year warranty even im not original buyer? And the frame i got 2 year warranty( original owner has lifetime warranty).

according to the video here, weight savings don’t mean much on the Levo.
Levo SL vs. Levo- Mtbr.com

Mtbvkk

Feb 21, 2020
Seattle, wa
With the mission control app you can easily tune each of the 3 settings to give you different (customised) support levels and power output. The default settings are fine but you can further reduce them to extend range and still get plenty of assist for when you really need it.
Thanks, yes noticed that. Really good feature.

Mtbvkk

Feb 21, 2020
Seattle, wa
Many people ( some whose opinion I trust ) said that the guide re’s are great. So I finally ended up ordering the comp in storm grey today. I was torn between the taupe and that storm but decided to go with the blue color. Dealer said should be a few weeks. Can’t wait!

TomH79

Jan 5, 2020
Finland
Many people ( some whose opinion I trust ) said that the guide re’s are great. So I finally ended up ordering the comp in storm grey today. I was torn between the taupe and that storm but decided to go with the blue color. Dealer said should be a few weeks. Can’t wait!

I have had two set’s on re’s and new code r’s in my past bikes.
Last summer i totally lost my mind with sram brakes. Even if I spended lot of time to adjust/bleed them , I never managed to make them work/feel as I like them to work.
During race weekend, after practice day i needed to bleed them.. fffuuuu
At fall ordered 8120 xt:s. Once those was fitted/adjusted, they have worked exatly the same all the time. No worries. Totally hasle free.
Maybe not as powerfull as codes but lot less pain in the ass.

How about maguras mt7? Anyone has a review to tell?

Last edited:

TomH79

Jan 5, 2020
Finland
Thinking to upgrage the to lyrik ultimate.
Anyone has the 42 offset model? Difference in riding to 51 offset?

Mtbvkk

Feb 21, 2020
Seattle, wa
Do the 2020 models come with the little 2-piece guard installed for the motor in front of the chain stay or do we have to get the dealer to do it afterwards?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles