What tyres? The Ultimate Tyre Thread

deksawyer

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Jan 11, 2020
Fife, Scotland
I see you're in Scotland so similar winter conditions to me in the IOM. Are the Shorty's suitable for both front and rear, or do you have something different for the front?

Thanks

Got a Nobby Nic on at the moment, and I'm just gonna use it until I need to replace it, which will be with either an Assegai or DHF.

enCrypt

Sep 13, 2020
Douglas
Got a Nobby Nic on at the moment, and I'm just gonna use it until I need to replace it, which will be with either an Assegai or DHF.
Thanks for the reply. I couldn't actually find any Shortys in the right size at a decent price last night, so I've ordered the classic DHF / DHR 2 combo. Maxxgrip for the front, maxterra for the rear

Rahr85

E*POWAH Master
Sep 6, 2020
nottingham
Simple one here. If i keep racking up the miles like i am my assegai's will need replacing.

But what are fitted are 27.5 x 2.5", a lot of the better priced deals seem to be on 2.4" or 2.6" tyres. When the weather/covid situation improves i want to be getting back to more bike parks, should i go for the 2.4" for a bit more rolling speed or the 2.6 for a bit more contact patch? Clearance shouldn't be an issue.

I'm thinking there shouldn't be a huge difference between the two and it's more important to get a decent tyre.

Kernow

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
Simple one here. If i keep racking up the miles like i am my assegai's will need replacing.

But what are fitted are 27.5 x 2.5", a lot of the better priced deals seem to be on 2.4" or 2.6" tyres. When the weather/covid situation improves i want to be getting back to more bike parks, should i go for the 2.4" for a bit more rolling speed or the 2.6 for a bit more contact patch? Clearance shouldn't be an issue.

I'm thinking there shouldn't be a huge difference between the two and it's more important to get a decent tyre
2.6 seems to have become the most usual / favoured size for full suspension ebikes ,
I wouldn’t be so sure the smaller tyre is always the slowest rolling iether . Different tyres with the same marked dimensions even from the same manufacturer seem to vary quite a bit in thier size , not only width but profile and volume differences . Your going to need higher pressures on 2.4 to protect rims and punctures so harsher ride , less clearance less grip

MrSimmo

E*POWAH Elite
Apr 24, 2020
The Trail.
Anyone tried the E-Wild vs the Wild Enduro?

I’m running Wild Enduros gum-x 29x2.4 front and rear and keen to understand if there is a noticeable real world difference between the two.

Kernow

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
Anyone tried the E-Wild vs the Wild Enduro?

I’m running Wild Enduros gum-x 29x2.4 front and rear and keen to understand if there is a noticeable real world difference between the two.
Was only talking to my son in law last night about this , he’s sponsored by Michelin and had been able to try them all , he prefers the 2.4 on his race bike , but he says there are some enduro racers who really rate using the e wild 2.6 especially on the rear . For my ebike I’ll be sticking with 2.6 which means the e wild , that was also his opinion for my bike and my sort of riding Extra bit of volume helps with a heavier bike I think , that’s why it had 2.6 as standard I guess

MrSimmo

E*POWAH Elite
Apr 24, 2020
The Trail.
Was only talking to my son in law last night about this , he’s sponsored by Michelin and had been able to try them all , he prefers the 2.4 on his race bike , but he says there are some enduro racers who really rate using the e wild 2.6 especially on the rear . For my ebike I’ll be sticking with 2.6 which means the e wild , that was also his opinion for my bike and my sort of riding Extra bit of volume helps with a heavier bike I think , that’s why it had 2.6 as standard I guess

Thanks Kernow ?

Mate

Jan 4, 2021
Amsterdam
I would like the Racing Ray and Racing Ralph from Schwalbe. However Schwalbe has a few specific E-MTB tires. Only these have a much too rough profile for me.

My question to you is, "Do you have special E-MTB tires?

Kernow

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
I would like the Racing Ray and Racing Ralph from Schwalbe. However Schwalbe has a few specific E-MTB tires. Only these have a much too rough profile for me.

My question to you is, "Do you have special E-MTB tires?
Racing Ralph are a light xc racing tyre with small tread intended for a light xc bike in conditions that are not too rough or wet . if your not heavy and only ride fairly gentle off road stuff without rocks and anything hard hitting you might get away with them on an ebike , if you can get the width required .
something like the smart sam ,or Rock razor would be more durable with a similar low profile fast rolling tread for dryer conditions

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
I’m looking at trying the Vitoria eMazza on the rear. The front tire is fine for now. Since I’m burning through a few rear tires, because of the steep rocky trails I ride on, I want to try the Vitoria eMazza. Anyone have experience with these and know of a supplier in close by?
29”x2.6 on a Trek Rail.

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
Anybody got any thoughts on maxxis assagai maxx grip for front?
Loads of grip, slow, draggy and fairly heavy. Wouldn't be my choice unless I was needed totally outright grip for riding steep rocky dh style stuff. I have one and its really draggy. I also have the Maxx Terra version that is very very good for my style of trails and riding.

AlexR

Oct 10, 2020
Portugal
Loads of grip, slow, draggy and fairly heavy. Wouldn't be my choice unless I was needed totally outright grip for riding steep rocky dh style stuff. I have one and its really draggy. I also have the Maxx Terra version that is very very good for my style of trails and riding.

Agree with Rob on the grip, loads of grip, and for me, as much important, very predictable. ?

But, with new version Maxx Gripp in Exo+ the weight is very similar to others (29x2.5 at 1.118g vs 1.060g of Butcher 2.6) and I don’t find it draggy in comparison, either.

I don’t have experience with the DD and DH cases.

I recommend this tire.
Others in my short list for front:
- Vittoria eMazza
- Schwabe Magic Mary

Last edited:

baydoh

Dec 22, 2020
Australia
I've purchased eddy current front and rear but my Trek store couldn't fit them so now I'm looking for an alternative for the front to replace the bontrager se5 as i don't really like them. I will leave se5 on the rear. Any other suggestions for mainly trail riding that doesn't get too wacky!

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
I've purchased eddy current front and rear but my Trek store couldn't fit them so now I'm looking for an alternative for the front to replace the bontrager se5 as i don't really like them. I will leave se5 on the rear. Any other suggestions for mainly trail riding that doesn't get too wacky!
DHF / DRH2 / Assegai (Maxx Terra) / Shorty if really muddy or Magic Mary Super Trail for a great all rounder. In my experience you cant go wrong with these tyres. Personally using 2.4 DHR2 EXO MaxxTerra on the rear and Shorty 2.5 EXO MaxXTerra (for winter) and will change to Assegai 2.5 Maxxis Terra EXO when it starts to dry out a bit more. My riding is pretty much exclusively trail based riding at the moment.

Last edited:

MrSimmo

E*POWAH Elite
Apr 24, 2020
The Trail.
Yup echo the above.

Worth considering the profile of the rider as well. For me, circa 80kg UK rider, fast trail/enduro use (Surrey Hills type riding profile) plus bike-parks and a few more extreme venues, weather is pretty changeable here.

Preference 1: Maxxis DHF Maxx Terra 2.5 front / DHR2 2.4 Maxx Terra rear
Preference 2: Schwalbe Magic Mary SuperTrail 2.6 front/rear

Not really sure if there is a noticeable difference between the Magic Mary SuperGravity and the SuperTrail other than sidewall protection (apparently there is more on the SuperGravity which brings in a weight penalty). The online reviews suggest the SuperGravity is the equivalent of the Maxxis downhill Double Down casing, more effective for 'proper' downhill riding, but who knows in reality.

For summer riding, swapping the front to an Maxxis Assegai Maxx Terra 2.5 decreases rolling resistance at the expense of wet/soggy terrain grip but as pretty much everything is out of stock, its unlikely!

Currently running broken knob, bald, scratched Wild Enduros 29/2.4 and looks like they'll be here to stay for the short term!

baydoh

Dec 22, 2020
Australia
Yup echo the above.

Worth considering the profile of the rider as well. For me, circa 80kg UK rider, fast trail/enduro use (Surrey Hills type riding profile) plus bike-parks and a few more extreme venues, weather is pretty changeable here.

Preference 1: Maxxis DHF Maxx Terra 2.5 front / DHR2 2.4 Maxx Terra rear
Preference 2: Schwalbe Magic Mary SuperTrail 2.6 front/rear

Not really sure if there is a noticeable difference between the Magic Mary SuperGravity and the SuperTrail other than sidewall protection (apparently there is more on the SuperGravity which brings in a weight penalty). The online reviews suggest the SuperGravity is the equivalent of the Maxxis downhill Double Down casing, more effective for 'proper' downhill riding, but who knows in reality.

For summer riding, swapping the front to an Maxxis Assegai Maxx Terra 2.5 decreases rolling resistance at the expense of wet/soggy terrain grip but as pretty much everything is out of stock, its unlikely!

Currently running broken knob, bald, scratched Wild Enduros 29/2.4 and looks like they'll be here to stay for the short term!
Cheers. Riding weather here is pretty much dry all the time so you'd go the assegai over the dhf?

macs80

Feb 16, 2020
Switzerland
I currently have Magic Marry on the front and Hans Dampf on the rear. Both in 27.5 / 2.6 and it’a time to change them.
Í’m looking for something that give me more grip on the front and more confidence on the corners while still allowing to drift and skid easily.
So after some research I‘m ready to order:

Front: Maxxis Assegai 27.5X2.6 WT EXO+
Rear: Maxxis Dissector 27.5X2.4 WT EXO

What do you think ? Any advices ?

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I'm not saying these are better for you, but they are worth a look if you haven't already taken them into account.
Take a look at the WTB Vigilante (TCS Light High Grip with TriTec compound and Slash Guard) for the front. I have been happily surprised at the level of grip when cornering.
I was looking at fitting a WTB TrailBoss on the rear, but before I could fully investigate, I discovered a brand new Maxxis High Roller II (3C WT Maxx Terra EXO TR) in the garage! The TB looks good, but as I haven't tried it I cannot make a recco. The Maxxis HR II is great rear tyre; it will power you out of a slippy hole and will still let you drift on a corner if the front tyre is even gripper.

macs80

Feb 16, 2020
Switzerland
Thanks Wizard. Yes I hesitated with the DHR2 for the rear but it seams that the dissector are better for fast rolling so I thought that would be a good balance with the Assegai on the front. But maybe too slippery on the wet?

And what do you thing about the size? I means to have 2.6 on the front and 2.4 on the rear?
I’ll definitely have a look at the WTB.

Kernow

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
Thanks Wizard. Yes I hesitated with the DHR2 for the rear but it seams that the dissector are better for fast rolling so I thought that would be a good balance with the Assegai on the front. But maybe too slippery on the wet?

And what do you thing about the size? I means to have 2.6 on the front and 2.4 on the rear?
I’ll definitely have a look at the WTB.
How heavy are you , the rear takes the biggest hits so smaller tyre is more likely to get damaged what did you bike have as stock

macs80

Feb 16, 2020
Switzerland
2.6 on both wheels. But they sell now the model 2021 with 2.4 on both wheels. Same frame.

I’m 75kg. So maybe would be better to have also the EXO+ for the rear tire ?

Jugglematt

Jun 29, 2020
Australia
Hey folks
Currently looking at replacing the rear tyre on my focus thron . At the moment i have nobby nic . 2.6 front and back. The front seems ok but the back is copping a hammering , with side wall cuts and wear , snalke bites. Punctures .
Im a big guy 6ft4 and 100 kg so i need a replacement tyre with heavy sidewall protection and strength
I Ride fire roads , single track , some sandy trails. Some rocky stuff. Oh and looking at a 400km bike packing trip next month.

Ive narrowed it down to the schwalbe eddy current or the pirelli scorpion emtb rear both in the 29 x 2.6 . Im leaning towards the scorpion because of the lower rolling resistance and expected longer mileage . Both tyers are similar price . And both tyres are available online in australia .
I saw that rob did a review of the pirelli came up fairly favourable . Some other mixed reviews out there .

Feedback apreciated from folks who have used both tyers . Including wear , grip , and how the sidewalls hold up . Also have i missed an obvious option .

Man it was never this difficult. Back in the day i would ride to the bike shop , say i need new tyers and just grab what he had on the shelf.

Thanks
Matt

Screenshot_20210130-072306.png

e-rear-render.png

Avyoung

Nov 28, 2018
Canada
I currently have Magic Marry on the front and Hans Dampf on the rear. Both in 27.5 / 2.6 and it’a time to change them.
Í’m looking for something that give me more grip on the front and more confidence on the corners while still allowing to drift and skid easily.
So after some research I‘m ready to order:

Front: Maxxis Assegai 27.5X2.6 WT EXO+
Rear: Maxxis Dissector 27.5X2.4 WT EXO

What do you think ? Any advices ?
I think whatever you buy for the front in the maxxis line up, make sure you get MaxxGrip compound if you are looking to have MaxxConfidence.

i do like the dissector for speed and skids but I think the DHR2 is a way better wet weather partner to the Assegai. DHR2 also drifts well and predictably too. Sounds like you would like MaxxTerror in the rear for compound.

macs80

Feb 16, 2020
Switzerland
The assegai tires with Maxxgrip are available only in 2.5. So they are better then 2.6 with Maxxterra compound for max traction and confidence ?
I'm a bit lost about tires sizes. What are the real pro and cons having bigger or smaller tires in front or rear?

Avyoung

Nov 28, 2018
Canada
The assegai tires with Maxxgrip are available only in 2.5. So they are better then 2.6 with Maxxterra compound for max traction and confidence ?
I'm a bit lost about tires sizes. What are the real pro and cons having bigger or smaller tires in front or rear?
It’s a good question. If you observe the pro DHers they would be all on DH casing 2.5” Assegai (or 2.5” DHF, Shorty for example) for the front. Tough casing to reduce the casing from squirming under high corner loads MaxxGrip for obvious reasons. If you are comparing a 2.5” exo to a 2.6” exo in the same MaxxTerra compound I would say in general the 2.6” would give you more grip and more supple ride with the larger volume. But moving to MaxxGrip especially in the wet is gamechanging and much higher grip and confidence than a 2.6” MaxxTerror.

Kernow

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
2.6 on both wheels. But they sell now the model 2021 with 2.4 on both wheels. Same frame.

I’m 75kg. So maybe would be better to have also the EXO+ for the rear tire ?
I much prefer a light insert like a rat bite to a heavy duty casing , smaller rear tyre will also make the bike a bit slacker if you like that feel , o tried it on my meta and it made my steering less precise on slower stuff which I didn’t like

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles