What tyres? The Ultimate Tyre Thread

Rahr85

E*POWAH Master
Sep 6, 2020
nottingham
But moving to MaxxGrip especially in the wet is gamechanging and much higher grip and confidence than a 2.6” MaxxTerror.

I'm actually quite curious as to how much of a difference there actually is between the compounds for more human riders. My bike came with the maxxterra assegai 2.5" on the front and i can't even once think of a time where i felt there needed to be more grip. I'm replacing it with a 2.6" mainly to get a bit of a difference between the front and the rear.

<cynic>I'm sure at downhill racer speed where ever second counts the difference is noticeable. But for most of us i'm interested if there is a tangible difference beyond the softer compound needing to be replaced more often and making them more money </cynic>

Avyoung

Nov 28, 2018
Canada
I much prefer a light insert like a rat bite to a heavy duty casing , smaller rear tyre will also make the bike a bit slacker if you like that feel , o tried it on my meta and it made my steering less precise on slower stuff which I didn’t like

That is great input! I agree, ultimately it would be best to experiment to see what suits you best.
I'm actually quite curious as to how much of a difference there actually is between the compounds for more human riders. My bike came with the maxxterra assegai 2.5" on the front and i can't even once think of a time where i felt there needed to be more grip. I'm replacing it with a 2.6" mainly to get a bit of a difference between the front and the rear.

<cynic>I'm sure at downhill racer speed where ever second counts the difference is noticeable. But for most of us i'm interested if there is a tangible difference beyond the softer compound needing to be replaced more often and making them more money </cynic>

Never needed more grip? Have you never washed out a front tire before? Sounds like you are poor candidate for MaxxGrip and DH casings. However if you are curious I would encourage you to give it a go. It’s only a tire after all!
I do have an Assegai in 29x2.5” in MaxxGrip in EXO + as well perhaps the lighter single casing with MaxxGrip might attract you. There are DHF and DHR2 in single casing MaxxGrip as well. I hope you have a lot of fun trying different tires and compounds!

Rahr85

E*POWAH Master
Sep 6, 2020
nottingham
That is great input! I agree, ultimately it would be best to experiment to see what suits you best.

Never needed more grip? Have you never washed out a front tire before? Sounds like you are poor candidate for MaxxGrip and DH casings. However if you are curious I would encourage you to give it a go. It’s only a tire after all!
I do have an Assegai in 29x2.5” in MaxxGrip in EXO + as well perhaps the lighter single casing with MaxxGrip might attract you. There are DHF and DHR2 in single casing MaxxGrip as well. I hope you have a lot of fun trying different tires and compounds!

Similar to the same argument on cars. There is a point where the extra performance isn't noticeable by the normal person. I've not had the misfortune yet of washing out the front but for some reason whyte wanted to make it more likely by having a maxxgrip compound on the rear but maxxterra on the front.

Tyres to me are a pain as there isn't one for all occasions and it's not cheap to keep swapping out tyres and having consistent conditions to make a fair assessment possible. If it came with that tyre on the front it can't be that bad.

It will all come down to the rider and the terrain, i don't think there's really a catch all recommendation for tyres.

Last edited:
Feb 5, 2019
Wales
Does anyone have any experience with Vittoria tyres? Looking at getting the VITTORIA Tire E-Mazza 27.5x2.6 E-Bike Graphene 2.0 4C Tubeless Ready.

Getting DT swiss h1700 27.5 wheelset. Not sure what rim size I need.

Last edited:

Kernow

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
Anyone know of anywhere in uk with magic Mary 29x 2.6 in stock or anything similar Michelin maxis etc Everywhere I know if us out if stock of everything

Dave_B

Subscriber
Aug 29, 2020
Newquay
Anyone know of anywhere in uk with magic Mary 29x 2.6 in stock or anything similar Michelin maxis etc Everywhere I know if us out if stock of everything

lol. Good luck with that. Have been looking for the last two weeks. Ended up with an Eddie Current.

bluewater87

Jul 12, 2020
Canada
Thanks guys for your advices.
I’ll give a try with the Assegai 27.5 X 2.5 DD MaxxGrip / DHR II 27.5 X 2.4 EXO+ MaxxTerra combo
Running a stronger or as strong casing in the rear instead of the front makes more sense. The rear gets loaded up more than the front, so the extra stiffness is warranted there. I’d recommend a dd dhr2 maxxterra 2.4 for the rear. Assuming you’re not using inserts...

Avyoung

Nov 28, 2018
Canada
I've not had the misfortune yet of washing out the front but for some reason whyte wanted to make it more likely by having a maxxgrip compound on the rear but maxxterra on the front..

manufacturers only put the MaxxGrip at the rear because they are wanting the DoubleDown or DH casing to protect the rear rim from landings on rocks or casing a double. It’s actually cheesy for them to place a cheaper single casing MaxxTerra in the front. Probably going for the single casing to make the bike lighter too. In any case it does not make sense to run MaxxTerra in front and MaxxGrip in the rear.

Kernow

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
lol. Good luck with that. Have been looking for the last two weeks. Ended up with an Eddie Current.
i found a Michelin e wild rear But front seems impossible and it’s front I really want I guess we need to get used to this supply problem for virtually anything bike currently

Rosemount

E*POWAH Elite
May 23, 2020
Qld Australia
Does anyone have any experience with Vittoria tyres? Looking at getting the VITTORIA Tire E-Mazza 27.5x2.6 E-Bike Graphene 2.0 4C Tubeless Ready.

Getting DT swiss h1700 27.5 wheelset. Not sure what rim size I need.

30 mm ID gives a 2.6 tyre a flatter profile .
Narrower and the side walls are squashed out and the tread more rounded . I felt the difference 1st ride . Better traction .

Longbiker

Sep 23, 2019
Dortmund, Germany
DHF / DRH2 / Assegai (Maxx Terra) / Shorty if really muddy or Magic Mary Super Trail for a great all rounder. In my experience you cant go wrong with these tyres. Personally using 2.4 DHR2 EXO MaxxTerra on the rear and Shorty 2.5 EXO MaxXTerra (for winter) and will change to Assegai 2.5 Maxxis Terra EXO when it starts to dry out a bit more. My riding is pretty much exclusively trail based riding at the moment.

What do you think for spring and summer for your style of riding, it is pretty similar to my style:
DHF for front ( i need DD or DH casing) in maxxgrip or 3c maxxterra? I ride trails and sometimes bikepark the moderate lines ( the blue ones).

Last edited:

Dave_B

Subscriber
Aug 29, 2020
Newquay
What is the Schalbe equivalent of the High Roller II? Is it the nobby nic super trail? (I’m thinking of getting a Nobby Nic for dryer conditions.

Kernow

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
What is the Schalbe equivalent of the High Roller II? Is it the nobby nic super trail? (I’m thinking of getting a Nobby Nic for dryer conditions.
Nobby Nick or Hans dampf is probably closer to high roller . I would say nobby Nick is less Aggressive probably faster for dryer conditions

Kernow

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
Just to update this , I’ve just had a stick alert from Merlin they now have the michelin ewilds in stock front and rear , good price too I think at 43 quid .

roboticinvesting

Oct 27, 2020
Calgary
Just to update this , I’ve just had a stick alert from Merlin they now have the michelin ewilds in stock front and rear , good price too I think at 43 quid .
Can confirm - just ordered 29 front and 27.5 rear from them for delivery to Canada. Like @Kernow said, really good pricing too, even once I added shipping to Canada. I'll probably need to pay duty, but even then the price is really good.

Kernow

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
Merlin are in the ball order here already.
more than I can say for chain reaction these days

Looking forward to trying these out

ECD9E0A5-D21E-4100-A10D-C4F1A4A1CA2D.jpeg

deksawyer

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Jan 11, 2020
Fife, Scotland
Well, my rear Shorty has started to tear its knobs off after only about 30 miles. Now, it's inevitable that there's some tarmack bits in my outings, but that's just ridiculous IMO.

Should I just keep using it? Should I send it back? Should I change from a road tyre to an off road tyre when I arrive at the trail? What would Hong Kong Phooey do...?

IMG20210202142353.jpg

Kernow

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
What's the rolling resistance of the e-Wilds? I don't want something that's going to turn the bike into a tractor!
I can answer that having just fitted mine I went for a try up the road without my battery before and after They roll ok , certainly no tractor
I was quite happy . Less drag than the mary high roller combination my last bike had , and no great noticeable difference from the stock Bontrager tyres my bike came with , which are said to be fast rolling and certainly felt like they are .

EebStrider

Apr 18, 2020
Surrey, UK
I can answer that having just fitted mine I went for a try up the road without my battery before and after They roll ok , certainly no tractor
I was quite happy . Less drag than the mary high roller combination my last bike had , and no great noticeable difference from the stock Bontrager tyres my bike came with , which are said to be fast rolling and certainly felt like they are .

Good to know. I’ve got the Nobby Nic at the moment, so I’m interested to see how they’d compare.

Kernow

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
Good to know. I’ve got the Nobby Nic at the moment, so I’m interested to see how they’d compare.

I’ve not tried nobby Nick on my ebike , but I’ve got them in a narrower size on my xc hardtail , they are more of a trail tyre with a less chunky tread so I would expect the knobby Nick to roll faster although the front ewild is a bit lighter than the knobby Nick with a ramped tread , so maybe not a lot in the front if you want a bit more soft ground grip for winter

Last edited:

Mcharza

E*POWAH BOSS
Aug 10, 2018
Helsinki, Finland
Well, my rear Shorty has started to tear its knobs off after only about 30 miles. Now, it's inevitable that there's some tarmack bits in my outings, but that's just ridiculous IMO.

Should I just keep using it? Should I send it back? Should I change from a road tyre to an off road tyre when I arrive at the trail? What would Hong Kong Phooey do...?

View attachment 52056
Sad to hear. What compound is that tire? And remember Shorty is a mud tyre

Singletrackmind

Sep 17, 2020
San Diego, CA
@Singletrackmind rides these - hopefully he can chime in. Mine are arriving today so I can't comment, but hopefully he can...
Been very impressed with rolling resistance. Much better then the Eddy Currents I'm running on my Levo. Specifically picked these for my YT Decoy because its set up as more of a DH/Enduro sled. Been a long time Maxxis fan and for the type of riding I do on the Decoy would pick no other tire. Sure there are faster rolling tires but the traction and all round riding characteristics of the E-Wild's made me a believer. A couple riding buddies converted and give high marks. Here's an article that may provide some insight.

Rahr85

E*POWAH Master
Sep 6, 2020
nottingham
Current setup after wearing through the rear assegai maxxgrip
2.6" x 27.5 3c MaxxTerra Exo+
2.5" x 27.5 3c MaxxTerra Exo+

Didn't want to risk tearing apart a mud specific tyre as shown earlier as i do ride a lot of tarmac which is almost the main reason the maxxgrip tyre that came with the bike is so badly worn. Jury is still out on the e-wilds so figured i'd move the front tyre to the rear and replace it with one slightly wider to try and shift the grip more to the front than the rear. So far it feels good.

When this set of tyres are gone i'm tempted to go minion DHF / high roller as this has worked well for me in the past.

Longbiker

Sep 23, 2019
Dortmund, Germany
"When this set of tyres are gone i'm tempted to go minion DHF / high roller as this has worked well for me in the past".

Thats exactly my choice for the upcoming summer, but i'm struggling with the compound, 3C maxx terra or 3C maxx grip (at DHF). My tendency is maxx terra because of better rolling resistance. Our weather coditions are similiar, perhaps a little dryer here in Germany.
What do you think?

Rahr85

E*POWAH Master
Sep 6, 2020
nottingham
If you can get the one you want in maxxgrip for both ends it would be the optimal tyre but it's not always that simple. I don't feel like i need the max grip as i'm probably not even pushing close to 80% of what the maxxterra offers.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles