What tyres? The Ultimate Tyre Thread

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire

bluewater87

Jul 12, 2020
Canada
The difference the compound of sides knobs between maxxterra and max grip is only 2a durometer.
The difference between the center knobs is 8a.

Is the 8a you’re giving up in rolling resistance worth the trade off for an extra 2a in cornering grip? Unless it’s a DH or enduro bike, I’ll stick with maxxterra.

EBBEB5F5-BC1E-4B9B-85F4-A6901603E00B.png

Kernow

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire
Thankyou for the thought. I had an email request in at Merlin they emailed me earlier in the week , they are on the bike already just had my first ride on them nice tyres , highly recomend ?
Merlin are on the ball ?

I was looking at the E-Wild’s last night but thought £43 was a tad expensive, but I’m used to 1995 prices ha ! Have the front on order now so glad to hear they’re ok

Kernow

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
I was looking at the E-Wild’s last night but thought £43 was a tad expensive, but I’m used to 1995 prices ha ! Have the front on order now so glad to hear they’re ok
Compared to other brands like schwalbe which seem to be up 50-60 quid they are cheap , that's a good price Merlin had , I could have waited for stock and had them trade at 40 So Merlin are doing well at 43 especially considering the shortage of tyres etc

JC1982

Feb 6, 2021
South Wales
Hi all

After a little advice on tyre choice for my Haibike All MTB 7, 2.6 front and 2.8 rear, Welsh valleys riding.

So the bike comes with 2.6 DHF front and 2.8 DHR II rear tyres. I have started looking into replacements tyres, not in a rush as I will get my use of these tyres first.

However, I am finding that compounds and casings are very limited for the 2.8s especially. I am looking for something that has a good roll to it but with a stronger casing than the exo and to pair that with something with good grip also in the front.

Given the lack of choice it appears, I have contemplated dropping the rear to 2.6 tyres.

What's people's thoughts on on dropping the tyre size our good 2.8, 2.6 tyre combos?

Thank you

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire
Compared to other brands like schwalbe which seem to be up 50-60 quid they are cheap , that's a good price Merlin had , I could have waited for stock and had them trade at 40 So Merlin are doing well at 43 especially considering the shortage of tyres etc

Did you get the sealant leaking through the sidewalls for ages after ? It's been around three hours after fitting the tyre and I'm still losing pressure and having sealant leak.

Kernow

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
Did you get the sealant leaking through the sidewalls for ages after ? It's been around three hours after fitting the tyre and I'm still losing pressure and having sealant leak.
No they sealed instantly , where’s your sealant leaking from ?

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire
No they sealed instantly , where’s your sealant leaking from ?

Through the sidewalls, both sides of the tyre, the whoe circumference. The tyre looks like a sieve when I put soapy water on it! Added around 100ml of sealant but that's all I had so ordered some more and will top up when it arrives. The tyre was flat as a pancake this morning. I have the tyre off the bike and now lying flat on its side and I'll keep rotating all day and swapping sides over! I'm sure this tyre will be worth all this hassle ?

Kernow

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
Through the sidewalls, both sides of the tyre, the whoe circumference. The tyre looks like a sieve when I put soapy water on it! Added around 100ml of sealant but that's all I had so ordered some more and will top up when it arrives. The tyre was flat as a pancake this morning. I have the tyre off the bike and now lying flat on its side and I'll keep rotating all day and swapping sides over! I'm sure this tyre will be worth all this hassle ?
If that’s a new Michelin e wild then it’s faulty , there are some tyres that need the side walls to seal on lighter xc / race tyres from conti especially but not on the heavier ebike ‘ enduro tyres we use I usually use at least 120ml of sealant on a 2.6 tyre

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire
If that’s a new Michelin e wild then it’s faulty , there are some tyres that need the side walls to seal on lighter xc / race tyres from conti especially but not on the heavier ebike ‘ enduro tyres we use I usually use at least 120ml of sealant on a 2.6 tyre

I phoned Merlin and they just said it needs more sealant. I'll give it another day of rotating and more sealant but if it keeps losing pressure then its going back

Kernow

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
I phoned Merlin and they just said it needs more sealant. I'll give it another day of rotating and more sealant but if it keeps losing pressure then its going back
Can you post a photo of the leaking sealant

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire
Can you post a photo of the leaking sealant

45BBECC1-A6C3-4C83-918C-40B69C9819B8.jpeg

This is what it looked like yesterday around 3pm, still leaking, and this is a vast improvement to 24hrs prior

However, happy to report that after constant swirling , rotating, shaking and laying the tyre flat yesterday , the tyre is fully sealed this morning with no sign of sealant weeping and still 30psi, so job done ??

Kernow

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
View attachment 52700

This is what it looked like yesterday around 3pm, still leaking, and this is a vast improvement to 24hrs prior

However, happy to report that after constant swirling , rotating, shaking and laying the tyre flat yesterday , the tyre is fully sealed this morning with no sign of sealant weeping and still 30psi, so job done ??
Wow I’ve seen a few tyres do that , but as I said usually lighter xc race stuff . I wonder if anyone else has had this with e wild .

Singletrackmind

Sep 17, 2020
San Diego, CA
Wow I’ve seen a few tyres do that , but as I said usually lighter xc race stuff . I wonder if anyone else has had this with e wild .
Mounted E-Wild's on a rims from a couple different manufacturers with no issues. Have Cushcore in rear wheels, little bit of a pain to mount but no leaks whatsoever. Using Stans Race tire sealant.

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
These look new:

Maxxis Assegai EXO+ in MaxxGrip

Might be a decent spring / summer grippy trail tyre

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
These look new:

They actually have their own thread :)

Can't get the staff ;) :LOL: :LOL:

AlexR

Oct 10, 2020
Portugal
These look new:

I’m running that one at the front, done only ~300km but so far all good, very predictable.

Assegai MaxxGripp in Exo+ has a similar weight to others (29x2.5 at 1.118g vs 1.060g of Butcher 2.6), though a bit smaller. I don’t find it too draggy in comparison, either.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
DH22 6 Month overview ..

Confidence wise - amazing. Predictable ! They grip - everywhere (within logical expectations).

Wear - good. A lot better than I was expecting, might wear faster through summer though.

Resistance - No punctures, no problems. Have tested them on and off with and without sealant. They sit fine without, but on my setup I lose about 1psi a day without sealant. Seem tough as hell ! They're not foldable .

Weight - Heavy. 1440g each for a 27.5 *2.4 . So noticeably slower accelerating.

Rolling resistance. HIGH ! Quieter than DHR/DHF but side by side descending on tarmac with same weight setups you need to pedal the DH22's to stay with a same speed rolling DHR/DHF combination. If range is your thing, these are not for you. At least 10%-15% less range than wider profile E-wilds.

EDIT : OK, so having actually done more than glance at them when they're wet and inspected them properly .. and sent pictures to the wise and mighty one ... it would appear that they're actually worn :-( and my theory that unless they're down to 1mm of tread they're still ok is incorrect. So ignore my wild claims that they wear well - they're not magic .. the rest is correct though !

22.jpg

Last edited:

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Wear - good. A lot better than I was expecting, might wear faster through summer though.
TBF if any soft compound DH race tyre lasts you 6 months you're either not using it for it's intended purpose or just not riding very much.
eg. I'd expect a rear to be worn to the point of reduced performance after just one weekends DH riding at Ft William.
(still useable but close to the condition you'd prefer swapping to a new one to do a race run on)

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
TBF if any soft compound DH race tyre lasts you 6 months you're either not using it for it's intended purpose or just not riding very much.
I don't ride with them for gods sake ! They're way to pretty for that ! :) I do dust them regularly though.

I'm surprised with the wear. They're actually holding up better than the e-wilds. The knobs aren't splitting or cracking. They still have edges, very odd ! I need to up my game ! I actually expected them to be completely wrecked in 2 months at the most, though in fairness the trails I'm on at the moment are far easier going than my normal ones.

Once I realised you could sleeve them with an old 2.8, that really started keeping them clean.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Yeah. it's hard cornering and hard braking that wears soft compound tyres to the point of the tread patern not really working as well. They'll last a lot longer in soft conditions or smooth trails without a whole lot of hard braking

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Most of the trails here at the moment are soft .. (muddy) .. snow .. ice .. or pine leaves !??! the long nadgery ones you just slide on ..

I've also been doing my best for the last few months to employ the Gary system of "DON'T BRAKE" These conditions and techniques seem to extend tyre life.

I suspect on some normal trails in the dry, the 22's will tear up pretty quick like the wilds.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles