What tyres? The Ultimate Tyre Thread

markloch

May 14, 2021
NorCal
Lucky raffle winner of an eMTB, getting a ‘23 Orbea Urrun 30, already have a ’21 Rail 5 which sports WTB Vigilante 2.8 front/Specialized Eliminator 2.6 rear. According to the spec sheet the Urrun comes with Maxxis Rekon 2.40" 120 TPI 3C MaxxTerra Exo+ TLR front and rear. Surfaces I ride on (NorCal coast) are generally dry, range from hardpack to loose dust/dirt, gravel, rocks. I’m debating whether to get a different tire, front or back, not sure if I want more grip in back (especially if I remove the governor from the motor) or in front (my four falls have been plowing out on loose surfaces).

Any ideas? Or stick with the Rekons for now?

Perryqhill

Jul 16, 2023
Doncaster, Uk
Any love for Hutchinson Griffus?

I've had a Shorty gen 2 on mine since back end of last year when it got really sloppy in the UK and especially so around where I live and its been great for me. It's not the best as things dry out though or on hardpack etc.

When it was in for a motor replacement in March I bought a short term replacement hard tail and it had a Hutchinson Griffus 2.5 on the front. I'd never really heard of them but we had a few weeks where things began to harden up and I was quite impressed with the grip. Given they're avaliable much cheaper than some of the Maxxis stuff rather than put an Assegai on I've decided to go for the Griffus for the summer at less than half the price.
Given its the UK the summer will probably only last a few months and the Shorty will be back on anyway. 😀

Hattori-Hanzo

Apr 10, 2023
UK
Hey all, can anyone offer some advice,
I've been running a magic Mary (super trail, soft) and big Betty setup over winter and found it a good set up in the mud.
Now things are drying out, and riding on a lot of sandy hills I'm finding the Mary not so grippy.

I have a spare big Betty to put onto the rear but wondering to get another magic for the front or if there is something else worth considering?

Loamranger

Dec 10, 2019
U.K.
Some of the new Michelin tyres look interesting, check them out. Not tried yet but have been running DH22’s over winter. Not for summer, probably the DH16 or ebike Racing Lines.

Specialized Cannibal is a good buy, I’ve got one to try out. They are around £45 each.

Otherwise the old favourites, DHR/DHF.

George_KSL

Sep 11, 2021
Slovak Republic
Hey all, can anyone offer some advice,
I've been running a magic Mary (super trail, soft) and big Betty setup over winter and found it a good set up in the mud.
Now things are drying out, and riding on a lot of sandy hills I'm finding the Mary not so grippy.

I have a spare big Betty to put onto the rear but wondering to get another magic for the front or if there is something else worth considering?
You can always just swap to ultra-soft Mary (though not sure if the ultra-soft/supertrail SKU is already in retail, otherwise you'll have to get supergravity..), which roughly equals Assegai in Maxxgrip in terms of tackiness. Assegai/Maxxgrip does exist in Exo+, but it's actually 1250 grams in 29", I have multiple copies, nothing light-weight about it :- ).

The stickiest, tackiest, best-rebound front tyres right now are Assegai-Maxxgrip, Mary Ultra-Soft, KryptotalFR-SuperSoft, Cannibal T9, etc.. Some of those come in trail casings, but most don't.

It really doesn't matter which one of those you get, they all offer top performance to best DH riders on planet in mixed conditions.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles