Tyres

Simon1970

Dec 9, 2022
Ash
Hello. I'm currently running 27.5 x 2.8 Maxxis minion dh on the rear and a 29 x 2.5 on the front. I love them but i'd like to have something that's in the middle. Can you recommend something that's the same size but a bit more high rolling?

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
What do you mean by High Rolling?? I use Maxxis Assegai and find them good in a lot of varying conditions as long as it is not claggy/clay mud because they do not then clear very well. I have used Michelin Wild ( not E wild) and the front tyre is one of the grippiest I have ever ued especially on corners. The rear is fast rolling and again good in most conditions. As far as Shwalbe alternatives are concerned Magic mary up front and Big Betty on the back is a ood combo. A lot depends on the trail conditions where you are. In terms of tyre width I use 2.4 or 2.5 and even 2.3 in the summer.........fatter tyres tend to be too vague in my opinion.
DHR/DHF is a good combo but DHR is pretty draggy and best in loose over hardpack in my opinion.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
The Maxxis Aggressor was rated the best rear tyre on this site (The Outdoor Gear Lab).

The 9 Best Mountain Bike Tires

It reports on 28 tyres (ignore the title "the 9 best mtb tyres" it has been updated for 2022).
Page down and right to see all the tyres and to see the individual reviews.

I had an Aggressor on the rear of my emtb and didn't get on with it, it was spinning out too much. I just happened to have a WTB Trail Boss, so I fitted that and it was much better (I finally got up that short steep ascent that had been troubling me).

On the report, if you look at the individual scores for the six rated features (cornering, pedalling, braking............) you will see that the WTB Trail Boss does the same or better than the Aggressor across the board, except on ease of installation, where it loses by 3 points out of 10. I had zero difficulty fitting the Trail Boss, so maybe they were just unlucky. I think the WTB Trail Boss is a terrific rear tyre. I sold the Aggressor to my mate and he loves it that much that he thinks I was mad to get rid of it!

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
The Maxxis Aggressor was rated the best rear tyre on this site (The Outdoor Gear Lab).

It reports on 28 tyres (ignore the title "the 9 best mtb tyres" it has been updated for 2022).

I had an Aggressor on the rear of my emtb and didn't get on with it, it was spinning out too much. I just happened to have a WTB Trail Boss, so I fitted that and it was much better (I finally got up that short steep ascent that had been troubling me).

On the report, if you look at the individual scores for the six rated features (cornering, pedalling, braking............) you will see that the WTB Trail Boss does the same or better than the Aggressor across the board, except on ease of installation, where it loses by 3 points out of 10. I had zero difficulty fitting the Trail Boss, so maybe they were just unlucky. I think the WTB Trail Boss is a terrific rear tyre. I sold the Aggressor to my mate and he loves it that much that he thinks I was mad to get rid of it!
some caution required with these reviews that come from California!! As every photo in the article shows, their conditions are almost permanently loose dust over hardpack and that I think tends to influence their findings and make them less applicable to riders in wetter climates. For a lot of UK conditions for example there is nothing to be gained from ultra soft compounds when a lot of the time we ride on much softer surfaces unless we get a heat wave! Certainly in winter more important for UK/Northern Europe riders is the ability of the tread pattern to clear itself of mud and to dig into soft ground. Most of the time we probably also do not need super tough/heavy tyre construction ( maybe those in the few UK locations that do actually have mountains/rocky terrain would be the exception to that).
One big differentiator I look for, especially in a front tyre, is the difference between channeled and no channel tread patterns. By that I mean those tyres that have an area clear of any knobs between the corner and centre knobs. For my riding terrain not all corners require quite aggressive bike lean, so I prefer a front tyre with aggressive corner knobs plus some intermediate knobs between them and the centre knobs. Hence my favourite front tyres ( Assegai/Michelin Wild) in my post a bove. I also stay away from 2.6 and above tyres which do nothing to aid grip or traction in softer terrain, tend to sit ontop the surface rather than dig in, and reduce chainstay clearance.

SteveTTT

Mar 15, 2022
Hampshire, UK
some caution required with these reviews that come from California!! As every photo in the article shows, their conditions are almost permanently loose dust over hardpack and that I think tends to influence their findings and make them less applicable to riders in wetter climates. For a lot of UK conditions for example there is nothing to be gained from ultra soft compounds when a lot of the time we ride on much softer surfaces unless we get a heat wave! Certainly in winter more important for UK/Northern Europe riders is the ability of the tread pattern to clear itself of mud and to dig into soft ground. Most of the time we probably also do not need super tough/heavy tyre construction ( maybe those in the few UK locations that do actually have mountains/rocky terrain would be the exception to that).
One big differentiator I look for, especially in a front tyre, is the difference between channeled and no channel tread patterns. By that I mean those tyres that have an area clear of any knobs between the corner and centre knobs. For my riding terrain not all corners require quite aggressive bike lean, so I prefer a front tyre with aggressive corner knobs plus some intermediate knobs between them and the centre knobs. Hence my favourite front tyres ( Assegai/Michelin Wild) in my post a bove. I also stay away from 2.6 and above tyres which do nothing to aid grip or traction in softer terrain, tend to sit ontop the surface rather than dig in, and reduce chainstay clearance.
Another vote for Assegai or Dissector in UK conditions. My area has lots of greasy flint/chalk trails (eg South Downs Way) so good puncture resistance is vital, but there’s lots of clay too, with deep muddy ruts on the forest bridleways.

Goodmango13

Jan 25, 2020
NY

Just want to agree on the WTB Trail Boss as an amazing rear tire suggestion….

jlwoody

Dec 18, 2022
Edinburgh
Ridding in Scotland’s wet, mucky, rooty & snowy ❄️☃️ conditions, I am blown away from Specialized Butcher Gravity — the new T9 compound is shockingly grounding my Levo.

Riding both T9 Butchers on Front & Rear … tried everything else, and planted on the Butchers 😉

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles