Commuter Tyres

entropy1024

May 6, 2023
London
I have a Whyte E-505 with Smooth-rolling 29in wheels. They currently have off-road knobbly high volume Maxxis tyres.
I'm looking to get some tyres for commuting. Any recommendations?

Cheers
Tim

Hardtail

Mar 8, 2021
Uk
I run Thunder Burt 2.25 Super Ground as my commuters, I believe they are the fastest 2'+ tyre available. Don't get the Speed Addix as they are too light and puncture easily.

valecek

Apr 20, 2023
Slovakia
Hi. I have 2 pairs of wheels, in frist enduro wheels I am using Eddy current 29x2,60 with inserts, next one have wolfpack trail 29x2,40, whitch is good for communing, or trips on asphalt

Semmelrocc

E*POWAH Master
Dec 28, 2021
Germany
Continental Ruban might be a good compromise – good for commuting, but will also allow you some trail riding on the weekend. Recently installed one on my wife's bike.
IMG_3313.jpeg

Hardtail

Mar 8, 2021
Uk
Just about anything can be ran tubeless, I run Thunder Burt tubeless and it has saved me a few times on the road.

Tim1023

Aug 25, 2020
Hamburg, Germany
Is there a good tubeless commuter tyre? Like the idea of a self sealing system. Hate punctures.
I have the Schwalbe Almotions on mine. Recently had a 3cm screw in it. Was expecting to need to put a repair worm in it, but after a bit of time (and adding some more Stan's), it sorted itself out. It wasn't an immediate fix as the tyre completely deflated on removing the screw, but it worked in the end.

Was pretty impressed.

Streddaz

Jul 7, 2022
Tasmania
I have a Whyte E-505 with Smooth-rolling 29in wheels. They currently have off-road knobbly high volume Maxxis tyres.
I'm looking to get some tyres for commuting. Any recommendations?

Cheers
Tim
I'm running Maxis Recon Race for commuting on my Levo SL. They do seem to roll pretty good and are still fairly good on the trails too. I am planning to get another set of wheels built up for MTB duties.
1689741859063.png

sam.spoons

Sep 8, 2022
M11MM
I'm away for a month and doing a lot of road riding so thinking of getting a pair of slicks or gravel tyres for the Urrun. The only issue is the 29mm internal wheels which Orbea say a min 47mm tyre is recommended. I think I'd be ok to go a bit smaller but suspect 40-622 might be a step to far. Any suggestions?

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I'm away for a month and doing a lot of road riding so thinking of getting a pair of slicks or gravel tyres for the Urrun. The only issue is the 29mm internal wheels which Orbea say a min 47mm tyre is recommended. I think I'd be ok to go a bit smaller but suspect 40-622 might be a step to far. Any suggestions?
WTB say that 40mm is compatible but only just. See this:

Tire & Rim Fit Chart

They have two charts, 1st one is for "road plus, adventure..." and others. The 2nd chart is for mtb. The 40mm tyre width recco comes from the 1st chart for a 29mm internal rim width.

Expidia

Subscriber
Jun 27, 2022
Capital Region, New York
I had two flats over the past year. One on a Giant and one on my OEM Trek non tubeless tires. After I put on 1500 miles on the Trek's OEM tires to use them up a little, I swapped them to these Tubless Bontrager versions. I like the tighter tread pattern going down the middle for faster rolling and also the stiffer 120 TPI sidewalls. Not cheap at $70 each, but you get what you pay for. No flats since going tubeless and using Stan's sealant. I also have a 2nd Powerfly which I've only owned for 2 months now with tubed OEM Bontager tires and I can't wait to swap them out for the XR3's. Sure tubeless requires extra maintenance, but to me there is nothing worse than having to swap out a tube . . . on a trail or road, in the cold and especially getting a flat on the rear tire.

P.S. don't go too smooth . . . prior to going tubless, the one time I swapped out my tires for a commuter type smoother version I went over and smashed my helmet on the pavement coming off of damp grass. Swapped back to the small knobbier OEM tubed verision tires back the next morning.

From Bontrager: XR3 Team Issue = Fast-rolling with fierce traction, the redesigned XR3 is a do-it-all trail tire that is ready for the races.

Screen Shot 2023-08-05 at 6.35.47 AM.png

Last edited:

paquo

Jul 31, 2018
usa
i like the xr3 , the front lasts a while, the back burns off on the faster side
i just got a spec purgatory t7 for $32 so quite inexpensive, a cross country tire with enough strength for a 50 lbs bike
it's tough finding a 2.5 or 2.6 tubeless slick, i used to use schwalbe super motos/big apple but not in this size

Planemo

E*POWAH Elite
Mar 12, 2021
Essex UK
Schwalbe Johnny Watts for me. Works great on the back. I don't even bother swopping the front out (Maxxis DHF) as it just doesnt seem to wear, even on tarmac. In fact I leave the JW on for most of the year tbh as although much of my riding is trail/forest I rarely ride really sloppy stuff.

shamrock

Sep 19, 2023
Finland
I've been riding with Schwalbe G-One Allround 27,5x2.25 this season. Quite nice general tire, my trip to work is 45 km per day, some tarmac but mostely gravel roads. A bit noisy on vibrating on tarmac, but rolls well and excellent on unpaved roads. But 3500 km this season and they are done, at least the rear one. Perhaps I woudn' t need as much grip as these provide, so I might try something that is a bit more biased to tarmac. Suggestions?

Expidia

Subscriber
Jun 27, 2022
Capital Region, New York
I've been riding with Schwalbe G-One Allround 27,5x2.25 this season. Quite nice general tire, my trip to work is 45 km per day, some tarmac but mostely gravel roads. A bit noisy on vibrating on tarmac, but rolls well and excellent on unpaved roads. But 3500 km this season and they are done, at least the rear one. Perhaps I woudn' t need as much grip as these provide, so I might try something that is a bit more biased to tarmac. Suggestions?
See my post above #12. Great all around tire. Not cheap at like $70 a tire, but you get what you pay for as the casing is stronger at 120 TPI. Bontrager: Lightweight 120 TPI casing and fast-rolling center tread maximize speed and ride feel.

Last edited:

JP-NZ

Feb 17, 2022
Christchurch - New Zealand
If you need tubeless ready and a commuter tyre that doesn't look out of place on an emtb, have a look at the Continental Ruban, which would be my choice no. 1.
I'd prefer a faster rolling tyre than that, I don't care if it looks out of place. Just prefer as much puncture protection as possible and Tubeless ready.

The Conti contact plus looks good but not TR as far as I can see

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles