Burping tyres

urastus

⚡The Whippet⚡
May 4, 2020
Tasmania
2.35 Hans Dampf in SuperGravity
I'm guessing that will be a more fit for purpose. Although I'm surprised that the minion ss is classed as a trail/enduro/dh tyre - I wouldn't have guessed that. And it comes in dd and 60tpi. I have a dhf dual compound that is 60tpi; it feels a step up in toughness / stiffness to the exo (120 tpi). If you really like the minion ss perhaps you could keep an eye out for the dd model? They look a great compromise for commuting as well. I can see why you (and Gary) like it.

Last edited:

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire
I'm guessing that will be a more fit for purpose. Although I'm surprised that the minion ss is classed as a trail/enduro/dh tyre - I wouldn't have guessed that. And it comes in dd and 60tpi. I have a dhf dual compound that is 60tpi; it feels a step up in toughness / stiffness to the exo (120 tpi). If you really like the minion ss perhaps you could keep an eye out for the dd model? They look a great compromise for commuting as well.

To be fair, when I bought the Minion SS, I just wanted a narrower tyre than the draggy 2.8 / 2.6’s I had tried previously, faster rolling, and the SS’s were on offer at the time. The tyre was great, had no issues with it, until the weekend, but I think it’s fair to say, and in conclusion to this thread, I f*cked it good & proper!!

Pezzar

Apr 6, 2022
Rugeley, England United Kingdom
No. To all. Including you.

Good, I'm glad I gave context then and clearly stated it was for one particular set and make of tyres, for one particular rider and gave as much detail as possible, in order to help the op maybe in future potential tyre purchases.
So not wildly at all basically 😉

I whinged like mad when the Marin bike shop said the bike wouldn't be coming with the advertised Maxxis, but have been hugely impressed by these tyres, so much so I saw them on offer at inspiral cycles and bagged a new set for when these wear out at the princely sum of £79 for the set.
Just another option for us ebikers, which is always good, especially when the Assegai I wanted for the front is the same price as the Vee set 👍

Last edited:

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire
That went on easy, only required the track pump to seat itself 👍🏼

A18C1976-C048-4004-BD4E-CDC232D92541.jpeg

Bac

Sep 13, 2021
New Zealand
I had exact same problem, ended up destroying 5 Maxxis tyres on the rear in just under 700kms. Tried Cushcores (made very little difference - waste of $$), tried higher pressures (too harsh/rigid when it was enough to stop it rolling off the bead at above 38psi not much bite, and too much skittering around) tried, Exo+, DD, DH casings destroyed them all none worked, tearing sidewalls off the beads. I weigh 85kg (187lb). Tried Vittoria, on recommendation was supposed to be good but destroyed that in less than 60kms. Ended up trying the Michelin DH34's based on recommendation, and they've been absolutely awesome! I managed to drop pressure back down to 24 psi front, and 26 psi rear, and got 680kms on the first set (lasted 490kms before I needed to start topping up the pressure prior to each ride - yes literally lost 0 psi in the first 480kms!!). Second set I've clocked over 600kms so far and they're performing exactly the same as the first so far. Yeah, they're not cheap tyres, but they're tough, and no more rolling tyres off the bead (nor destroyed sidewalls), the grippy as and I can run them at a sensible pressure. Hence the reason I'm now a Michelin convert

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles