SZZS specific CEF50-main thread (initial builds and troubleshooting related only)

TCFlowClyde

Feb 26, 2022
Mesa, AZ
We need some materials which is safer then carbon else our frame screw or nut area will break
You can put a self adhesive silicon armor at the screw tabs to help absorb the shock. Plus,, they're made for carbon frames.👇
Screenshot_20240410-000252~2.png

Personally, I have carbon covering the plastic at all the tabs. So far, three months in, no frame issues...plus there is no plastic alternative unless Bafang wants to give up their trade formula for durable plastic. SZZS has failed on 3 iterations, so Bafang is not assisting them.

Last edited:

patdam

Jan 17, 2019
france
We need some materials which is safer then carbon else our frame screw or nut area will break
depend of use, i just need lower guard to protect motor from front wheel stone projections, no more. i will never use it to point of support to pass an obstacle

tepe

Nov 22, 2023
PL
Ride on firmware 43V - CRX30PC4313E102001 3_eMTB_230317, battery 48V 20A (21700 4700ma = 18.8A). There were no mistakes. The motor is in Boost mode 40 degrees. The M510 couldn't overtake me on a steep climb
Can you elaborate more: what are benefits of riding with software 43V plus battery 48V ? (power, range, heat, noise etc)

calvintys

Sep 12, 2023
Malaysia
You can put a self adhesive silicon armor at the screw tabs to help absorb the shock. Plus,, they're made for carbon frames.👇
View attachment 138011
Personally, I have carbon covering the plastic at all the tabs. So far, three months in, no frame issues...plus there is no plastic alternative unless Bafang wants to give up their trade formula for durable plastic. SZZS has failed on 3 iterations, so Bafang is not assisting them.

Few weeks ago I ask SZZS why they don't make carbon battery cover and reply was their engineer worry the carbon battery case might damage it frame so now today I suggest to them why not using something similar to rockguard design but cover the plastic motor cover without using any screw or nut by double side tape. As two piece of motor cover inner plastic n outer carbon but extend the coverage until frame are just like rockguard. She say will suggest it to their engineer and see if that is possible.

Last edited:

TCFlowClyde

Feb 26, 2022
Mesa, AZ
Few weeks ago I ask SZZS why they don't make carbon battery cover and the reply was their engineer worry the carbon battery case might damage it frame so now so today I suggest to them why not using something similar to rockguard design but cover the plastic motor cover without using any screw or nut by double side tape. As two piece of motor cover inner plastic n outer carbon but extend the coverage until frame are just like rockguard. She say will suggest it to their engineer and see if that is possible.
The SZZS engineering team also developed the first and second ICR headset that don't seem to work. So, might be time to try something new.

My mod-cover seems to be working. If it fails beyond my repair ability, the next step for me is the custom Rockguardz.

Unfortunately, the risk of not have motor cover is higher than having one that is too rigid. But, I think that this is much lower risk than then SZZS has suggested. Also, at this point, my trust of the Rockguardz engineering successes has higher potential than SZZS multiple cover failures.🍻

Myalteregohamish

Jan 4, 2023
Vancouver, WA
folks, my evening flash ride, 25km; 500m elev. gain almost entirely in B mode, 22% of 480Wh battery left. seems like it's eating the battery like a hungry hog. does this battery consumption look ok to you? I was hoping I could squeeze more from this battery...
Yea I've found this motor consumes watts very quickly for the power it puts out. As a comparison I recently built a Super enduro CF bike from another factory with an 840wh battery and I'm getting 7000ft of vert with 30% left. That's built on an m510 motor running it in sport the entire time.

calvintys

Sep 12, 2023
Malaysia
Can you elaborate this a bit more?
Did they send you the files or the physical parts? Could you share the files, If you have them?
What did they say about the parts?
Thanks!
The pic it's send by SZZS to me. It's suppose to replace the aluminium battery bar which hold between battery n frame.

calvintys

Sep 12, 2023
Malaysia
Yea I've found this motor consumes watts very quickly for the power it puts out. As a comparison I recently built a Super enduro CF bike from another factory with an 840wh battery and I'm getting 7000ft of vert with 30% left. That's built on an m510 motor running it in sport the entire time.
SZZS it's a carbon factory and motor cover its plastic so therefore it's required injection molding machine which I don't think SZZS has it. Third party's does it for them.

TCFlowClyde

Feb 26, 2022
Mesa, AZ
SZZS it's a carbon factory and motor cover its plastic so therefore it's required injection molding machine which I don't think SZZS has it. Third party's does it for them.
Yep, and the engineering team likely chooses the 3rd party fabricator to make the plastic. Same with the headsets, 3rd party. Unfortunately, they still don't seem to work. So, failure on the SZZS team to outsource well ultimately.

To be fair they make frames not high precision mechanical parts like headsets, Overall, and most importantly, I do trust the SZZS frame fabrication process, even when they don't for a carbon motor cover. 😁.

92se-r

Dec 23, 2023
United states
Were you the one having issues with motor cutting in and out?

ficorama

Oct 9, 2021
Croatia
are they 3d printed? could you share the CAD files for them or describe where you sourced the chain guide and how you adapted it? I just dropped the chain for the first time a moment ago...
co2 carrier is not 3d print. I took the aluminum cover from the cef50, and found the thread for the co2 cartridge. a friend welded it. the chain guide is adapted, I turned the motor screw so that the m6 thread is towards the chainring. I used an m6 thread, screwed it with a nut and placed it to get the measurement. very simple solution.

20240410_201707.jpg

Last edited:

mike_kelly

Subscriber
Aug 11, 2022
US
As a curiosity, I just used a contraption like in the pic to have a leisure trip with my 4yrs old daughter. Quite ridable setup, she loved it. Now she demands that I teach her to send jumps and drops on her Woom 3.
What kinda travel can the Woom 3 have
Here it comes "daddy can I have a ZEB 38 for my birthday?"
:)

un..inc

Jun 13, 2023
Germany
Did anyone try the following chainguide / rock guard?
Might it fit the M820?

1712821520741.png

Or Maybe this chain guide:

ficorama

Oct 9, 2021
Croatia
two runs done, battery empty. after 2 rides the battery was discharged to 18%. the pictures show the mileage and altitude. mostly driven T, S, S+. occasionally E and B. most of the ascents are forest roads, stones roots dirt.... I am very satisfied. I can say that the power of the m820 is not much weaker than the turbo levo, maybe max 15% weaker. this is a light full power emtb. unlike the m510, the motor is much better in pedalling. it responds better at lower cadences, modulates power delivery much better and provides support at higher 90-110 cadences.

Screenshot_20240411_193001_Strava.jpg Screenshot_20240411_193013_Strava.jpg Screenshot_20240411_193035_Strava.jpg Screenshot_20240409_195439_Strava.jpg 20240411_154337.jpg 20240411_154356.jpg 20240411_155936.jpg

calvintys

Sep 12, 2023
Malaysia
This is my E setup , reduce the power output to 9% n acceleration to 2 it's the best feel. Even during DH , smooth like butter. When I ride with stronger analogue rider I am just a little ahead of them. Now i ride my bike on E , it feel like i am riding my RB BMC Teammachine slr 01 ltd without motor on flat but provide some pedal assist during climb.

Screenshot_20240411_222537_BAFANG GO+.jpg

Last edited:

voigtkampff

Oct 18, 2023
Poland
my investigation into battery level indicator jumping by large values continues... I see the contacts of battery XT30 connector are covered by some kind of dark patina. They are supposed to be gold plated so I don't quite understand why this happens but who knows, maybe they are the culprit. The question remains, how to safely clean them when I can't just disconnect this cable from the battery, which must remain charged to 40+ volts at all times? And how to ensure they won't "rust" again?

patdam

Jan 17, 2019
france
my investigation into battery level indicator jumping by large values continues... I see the contacts of battery XT30 connector are covered by some kind of dark patina. They are supposed to be gold plated so I don't quite understand why this happens but who knows, maybe they are the culprit. The question remains, how to safely clean them when I can't just disconnect this cable from the battery, which must remain charged to 40+ volts at all times? And how to ensure they won't "rust" again?
overheating => bad contact (may be where cable weld ?) . may be better to change connectors. investigate if correct continuity on cables

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles