Levo Gen 3 Suspension and Coil shocks for Gen 3 - Fox 38 vs Zeb

carlbiker

🛡️🚵🛡️
Sep 15, 2020
leeds england
I've gone back to air from coil. If you ask me, the main reason people have coil shocks is because it's a more comfortable ride.

But you prefer the poppy fun factor that air gives? Im not overly curious about comfort, hell if it’s not bouncy it’s not really mtb is it? I think it’s more a rider style rather than one being better, so my logical theory to that is, own both ?

I do fancy seeing if it’s true about traction/handling though, I won’t know until I start giving them both a crack which I’m planning on.....other factors to consider though like if maintaining higher end stuff needs monthly servicing than stock stuff then that’s gonna get annoying

Zed

Feb 26, 2019
Brisbane, Australia
Anybody can feel the need for high performance, tuned suspension. It’s not a sin :). Yet only top racers will truly appreciate and make use of those small differences.
I'm not so sure. From what I see about pro rider setups they're generally pushing as much pressure as possible into their suspension to cope with the massive impacts, and doing a shitload of gym work to do the same with their body. Seems to me they drive the bike into the ground with their bodies very physically, rather than sitting back and letting the suspension do the work. I'm not sure they experience the more delicate qualities of a finely tuned damper more than someone a little more mortal.
But hey, I could be completely wrong...

Zed

Feb 26, 2019
Brisbane, Australia
What Michelin failures? I've has zero drama's with the new DH versions and they are wearing really well too.

Maxxis I've found are the biggest culprits for average quality control. I've had quite a few wobbly tyres from distorted sidewalls.
Interesting. I bought one Michelin, a WIld Enduro, and when mounted it was horribly buckled. So much so that I couldn't stand watching it on the front so I chucked it. I've never once had such an issue in probably towards a hundred maxxis tyres across many different models. Maybe we get them from a different factory or something.

ebikerider

Oct 1, 2019
Australia
Been there done that already, it might be why I shelled out on the bike ?.

Back to my query, like I say trail days 65.5 air setup, more techy dh stuff 64 coil, most lads I’m out with are 63-64 I’ve tried them also, it’s better dh for sure. I’d also like that bit of small bump compliance...there’s more the rise is capable of.

I’ll enjoy the experimenting and I’ve not yet seen anyone go back to air after coil so if anything I might decide to let air go in the end.

maybe a pretty picture might help?

View attachment 68258

Blue is 65.5 air
Red is 64 mullet

so basically 1 fork, 2 shocks.

I couldn’t care less what brand they are as long as I can change the fork travel. I know you can get a 160mm air shaft for the Fox 36 but not sure how easy it is to swap around with the 150mm, if that’s practical maybe I keep it, it’s a great fork.

Alternatively I sell that and for a few quid extra buy the Ext Era or the Ohlins which both have adjustable travel and I think do away with the tokens, Ohlins one you can actually pop a coil in there or revert back to air. I suspect the Ohlins is for heavy hitters though without decent small bump compliance
The Ohlins coil and air both have decent small bump compliance.

If you are looking at a decent fork with the option of changing travel easily get a Mezzer. Travel change can be done in about 15mins and everything comes with the fork on purchase.

artzicat1

Mar 3, 2019
israel
well this happened last Friday at cross country trail nothing big flowy trail on my levo 19
WhatsApp Image 2021-08-08 at 08.48.06 (2).jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2021-08-08 at 08.48.06.jpeg

apac

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Aug 14, 2019
S.Wales
well this happened last Friday at cross country trail nothing big flowy trail on my levo 19
View attachment 68440 View attachment 68441
Oh Dear, unfortunately this a common fault with the Cane creek In Line shock on a levo. They re not recommended due to the levo suspension linkage design.... Even if the shock has the DB sticker on it. Same with the Fox DHX. You'll need a thicker shafted shock, and one which manufacturers recommend for the levo. There was a list on this forum somewhere.

here..... Coil shocks recommended for levo

toublanc

May 18, 2021
Poland
I'm not so sure. From what I see about pro rider setups they're generally pushing as much pressure as possible into their suspension to cope with the massive impacts, and doing a shitload of gym work to do the same with their body. Seems to me they drive the bike into the ground with their bodies very physically, rather than sitting back and letting the suspension do the work. I'm not sure they experience the more delicate qualities of a finely tuned damper more than someone a little more mortal.
But hey, I could be completely wrong...

you’re right and wrong at the same time. Yes, pro’s riding is very physical and yes they generally don’t care about comfort. But I’d doesn’t mean they don’t appreciate high quality suspension. They need tons of traction on high speeds so fine tuning is crucial. We should keep in mind they setup their bikes for trail conditions, riding style and speeeeeed, thats why race day setup is far from what any of us would like to ride on daily basis. It works only for certain rider on a certain course at maximum speed possible.

regarding pressure - pros follow the same logic around SAG we all do, it’s just they never ever need plush, wallowy fork or shock. It’s always personal preference and we should avoid any generalizations but it’s true some riders set their SAG quite firm approximately 15% front and 20-25% rear.

carlbiker

🛡️🚵🛡️
Sep 15, 2020
leeds england
The best of both worlds vorsprung secus

View attachment 69108

A mate of mine swears by this although I’d seen a few reports it’s not cracking on multiple sequential
hits and it stands out a bit like you might expect the rider to be a master sender or something…..then there would be me! ? but that said it’s a cheap way to go about it if it’s working, what’s your experience?

Jersey Skier

May 12, 2019
NJ, USA
The best of both worlds vorsprung secus

View attachment 69108

Did you install this yourself? I just received mine and first step in the directions does not match the new foot stud. Directions say there should be a 12mm flat part to tighten with a torque wrench, but the stud has no flat section anymore. There is now a 4mm hex in the end. Hopefully that's the only change in directions since there's no mention on the site. Hoping to ride this tomorrow.

Ricky101uk

Jan 5, 2020
Southampton
Did you install this yourself? I just received mine and first step in the directions does not match the new foot stud. Directions say there should be a 12mm flat part to tighten with a torque wrench, but the stud has no flat section anymore. There is now a 4mm hex in the end. Hopefully that's the only change in directions since there's no mention on the site. Hoping to ride this tomorrow.
No, sorry I can’t help you as I got ace bikes to install mine,

Shjay

Apr 30, 2019
Kent
It’s the same on the Rise! Only few coils work, similar linkage to Levo
Oh Dear, unfortunately this a common fault with the Cane creek In Line shock on a levo. They re not recommended due to the levo suspension linkage design.... Even if the shock has the DB sticker on it. Same with the Fox DHX. You'll need a thicker shafted shock, and one which manufacturers recommend for the levo. There was a list on this forum somewhere.

here..... Coil shocks recommended for levo

Patrick_MATB

Apr 14, 2021
Mannheim Germany
I'd have probably kept the X2 in the Levo, but the shock is now faulty. Air has air mixed with oil. I first noticed a sloshing sound when compressing the rear. After a few more rides I could feel a slight knocking feel in the rear with small repeated kits (for example riding over 200 metres of tree roots, it felt a bit off, slight bumping sensation).

I know something wasnt quite right. So I took it out. Letting out a bit of pressure out and compressing the shock and watching it return, I could see it 'bump' through the travel... ie not completely smooth - it would start smooth and then almost stop, then bump through the final part of the travel.

I've really liked every coil based bike / shock that I've ridden, so hoping that the EXT lives up to to its reputation on the Levo.

Hi, I have also an X2 Fox Factory but on my levo sl and I guess I have the same akward sound issues during compression. Do you maybe have a Video from your faulty shock? Cause I have bought the shock second hand if I have a proof that some others has the same issue I can offer also an Warranty change or something like that. Problem is that the warranty condition are only related to the first buyer from the shock I guess. Thank you in advance if you have a help video for me maybe. But no cirsumstances pelase !

Have a great day

Kind Regards
Patrick

TBL79

Nov 5, 2020
Finland
Estoria fitted and one ride tested. Little bit heavier than storia. But performance is top notch. 575 spring and my weight approx 90kg. That hydraulic bottom out resistance makes quite a change to bottom part of suspension. I had storia on my gen 2 levo and also on new levo. Performance wise I was happy on both bikes with storia(tune was little bit stiff on gen 3 levo). But with estoria did make it more plush and same time its proggressive. Rear tire holds on track like glue.I sold my old storia and 400€ was worth. More testing to come. Also theres more clicks on rb. 16. Shaft looks also sturdier. 🙂

20211012_165342.jpg

20211012_165357.jpg

20211012_165508.jpg

20211012_165526.jpg

20211012_195839.jpg

AdmChr

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Nov 21, 2019
SWPA
Estoria fitted and one ride tested. Little bit heavier than storia. But performance is top notch. 575 spring and my weight approx 90kg. That hydraulic bottom out resistance makes quite a change to bottom part of suspension. I had storia on my gen 2 levo and also on new levo. Performance wise I was happy on both bikes with storia(tune was little bit stiff on gen 3 levo). But with estoria did make it more plush and same time its proggressive. Rear tire holds on track like glue.I sold my old storia and 400€ was worth. More testing to come. Also theres more clicks on rb. 16. Shaft looks also sturdier. 🙂

Thanks for the feedback comparing the two. That's great to hear that some are finally starting to receive their orders! I have to ask since I'm still waiting on mine, when did you place your order?

rocko_n82

Oct 13, 2018
UK
Hi,

Let me start with setting some baseline:

rider: 86kg

Specialized Levo gen3 Expert carbon S4
Front:
Fox 38 Performance Elite Grip2
4 tokens (3 factory installed + 1 from me)
92 PSI

Rear
Fox Float X2 Performance (LSR, LSC, lockout)
2 tokens (0 stock)
240 PSI

Now, I’m fine tuning my suspensio, forks feels pretty much OK - could be a bit more compliant on small bumps and slow speed but it’s usual thing with Fox (I’m an old fart, I still remember how it was on Z1, Z1Light ETA, 55Ti etc. :) ). On the other hand at 20+ km/h forks comes to life - feels great, eats up everything, good mid stroke support, no bottom outs. So far so good.

My ”problem“ is with a shock - I’m within a tuning range with my settings, but I can’t loose this strange feeling that there is something wrong with the rebound adjustment. Even fully closed rebound seems pretty fast and fully open is only a bit faster. You know, something I can get from other shocks buy changing rebound approx. 4 clicks.
No strange sounds, no knocking - all seems OK except I would expect much more range of adjustment.

Any thoughts?

I think at 92 psi you're under sprung on the fork, relying on tokens to hold you up but sitting deep into the mid stroke. How are your compression settings?

TBL79

Nov 5, 2020
Finland
Thanks for the feedback comparing the two. That's great to hear that some are finally starting to receive their orders! I have to ask since I'm still waiting on mine, when did you place your order?

I ordered from my ext dealer 4130.fi from Finland. It was early august when I ordered it. Also with 575 spring weight difference is probably over 100gr. But don't mind that.

Ntinos

Oct 5, 2020
Athens, Greece

View attachment 73814

View attachment 73815

View attachment 73816

View attachment 73817

View attachment 73818

Very nice (y)
I used to have the Storia V2 on my 2020 sworks enduro, and I changed it with ohlins TTX22m.

I expect to receive my 2022 levo frameset in a couple of weeks, for the moment I have the ohlins waiting with me :)

Would you share a photo showing the whole bike ?

timo_

Mar 21, 2021
Germany

View attachment 73814

View attachment 73815

View attachment 73816

View attachment 73817

View attachment 73818

Do you have a complete picture from your bike withe the e storia?

NotSoSikMik

EXT Official Dealer
Jun 18, 2021
USA
Don't think this applies to you but in United States we will be getting first units in this week.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles