Levo Gen 3 Fox 38 fork knocking.

Renton

Aug 4, 2021
Droitwich
I’m really not having much luck with forks on my bike.

After the Zeb issues I switched to a new Fox 38 performance elite just after Christmas.

Trying to set them up was hard as I just couldn’t get them how I wanted them to feel (Am always comparing to a mates ultra plush zebs that just seem to hoover everything)

Doing some research I read that the issue could be down to to much grease in the airshaft negative chamber. When I took the fork apart the oil levels were much lower than the should have been. Unfortunately whilst taking the airshaft apart I scored the inner road and so had to buy a new airshaft.

I rebuilt the fork and put the right amount of oil in both sides and then went and did the first ride on them (23 miles round FOD)

The issue now is that I have a knocking sound when lightly compressing and raising the fork, in the first inch of travel but also if I push them into the travel and do it then the same is happening.

Ive checked all the usual suspects so headset, disc, caliper, wheel etc and all tight.

The only was to get it to stop is to wind the rebound fully open so its at its fastest?? Then the more rebound you add the worse it gets?

Damper is Grip 2.

Does anyone have any ideas on what could be wrong? I didn’t touch the damper side

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
check you have not lost the washer out of the low speed rebound knob..............and I assume you installed new crush washers on both legs when bolting them up.

Renton

Aug 4, 2021
Droitwich
check you have not lost the washer out of the low speed rebound knob..............and I assume you installed new crush washers on both legs when bolting them up.
Do you mean the little wavy washer? If so yes its there as I dropped it initially and spent half hour looking for it lol !

I have noticed that the HSR knob seems to jump a little between settings if I turn it quickly, does this indicate it isn't seated properly?

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Do you mean the little wavy washer? If so yes its there as I dropped it initially and spent half hour looking for it lol !

I have noticed that the HSR knob seems to jump a little between settings if I turn it quickly, does this indicate it isn't seated properly?
hsr knob has a hex centre so no real way not to fit properly. The damper rod has a flat side which is where the securing allen screw fits.............maybe you did not line that up?

Renton

Aug 4, 2021
Droitwich
hsr knob has a hex centre so no real way not to fit properly. The damper rod has a flat side which is where the securing allen screw fits.............maybe you did not line that up?
Ah ok so they are both fitted correctly then.

When I adjust the HSR slowly it will click on every detent if that makes sense. If I try and turn it harder it sounds like it slips or jumps? Hopefully that makes sense?

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Ah ok so they are both fitted correctly then.

When I adjust the HSR slowly it will click on every detent if that makes sense. If I try and turn it harder it sounds like it slips or jumps? Hopefully that makes sense?
recheck it then...sounds like it is spinning on the dampr rod which it can only do if it slips down.........both rebound knobs a re held in place by the allen screw so maybe the allen screw is not on the flat or is not done up tight enough. Sounds like you may have to remove the lower legs and refit them to check for the problem.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles