Levo Gen 2 Fox 38 fork?

JetSedgwick

E*POWAH Master
Aug 29, 2020
Lake Tahoe California
I have the stock Rockshox Lyrik on my Levo, I've given thought to upgrading to the Fox 38 160mm. Has anyone done this? Curious if it's a waste of money or a real improvement...

Bigtuna00

Nov 27, 2019
CA
Do you have a Lyrik Ultimate? If so I would say it's not worth it.

Lyric uses 35mm stanchions.

Lyrik 35mm stanchions are thicker than a "typical" 35 though. The Lyrik is significantly stiffer than a Pike (Pike is also 35mm). The stiffness is comparable to a Fox 36.

My problem with the 38 is it's only 17% stiffer fore-aft, whereas the other numbers are 31-38% stiffer (vs a 36). Fore-aft flex is the one I notice the most, the one I'd like to improve, so the 38 isn't really a solution :(

JetSedgwick

E*POWAH Master
Aug 29, 2020
Lake Tahoe California
Do you have a Lyrik Ultimate? If so I would say it's not worth it.

Lyrik 35mm stanchions are thicker than a "typical" 35 though. The Lyrik is significantly stiffer than a Pike (Pike is also 35mm). The stiffness is comparable to a Fox 36.

My problem with the 38 is it's only 17% stiffer fore-aft, whereas the other numbers are 31-38% stiffer (vs a 36). Fore-aft flex is the one I notice the most, the one I'd like to improve, so the 38 isn't really a solution :(
no. just the regular stock Lyrik with the Levo comp.

danf72

Jun 18, 2020
Berkshire
It's strange how everyone is so focussed on the stiffness of 38s. TBH I can't really tell the difference in terms of stiffness between my factory 36s and my ZEB 38s. What I can feel is a massive amount of difference in the small bump sensitivity on the 38s. I put this down to two things, dampers and air volume. Yes the Rockshox are known for their plushness but it's worth noting that I run 20 PSI lower in the ZEB than the FOX36. Its like gliding on a magic carpet but still has pop when you need the support. I have to keep checking my tyre pressures, not for the lack of grip but the buttery feeling you get with very low pressure in the tyres. I'm running around 23 psi in the front tyre for reference. If you have the choice I would go 38s all day long. Can't say I've tried the Fox38s but I would expect the same performance gains. Worth every penny!

Bigtuna00

Nov 27, 2019
CA
That's fair. The reason I'm so focused on stiffness is the Charger 2.1 is is a great damper. A Fox 38 is unlikely to significantly improve sensitivity. Also keep in mind you're comparing a 36, which is already a stiff fork. Try a Pike vs ZEB, for example, and I bet you would notice the change in flex.

Also larger diameter stanchions are *more* sticky, not less. It's increasing the surface area of all the stuff that sticks (wipers, air seals, etc.). Smaller diameter forks should be more sensitive (all other things being equal).

Your ZEB most likely feels better than your 36 because it has a superior damper.

maramouse

Mar 24, 2018
Genoa Italy
Hi, on the previous e-bike, cannondale moterra, I had installed the zeb ultimate and I found very well, at the first ride, I came from fox 36 factory grip2; in the expert 2022 that I have now, I have a fox 38 performance elite and I am just as good, but if I had to suggest, what to buy, I would say, without problems, to buy the zeb ultimate, it costs less, it works great and you can find the setup in zero time.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles