Levo Gen 3 Suspension and Coil shocks for Gen 3 - Fox 38 vs Zeb

Yzlvr

Jun 23, 2019
USA
Does anyone know if the Sram Zeb non Flight Attendant forks are getting the updated features of the FA fork? Like the buttercup, air bleed valves, etc?

TBL79

Nov 5, 2020
Finland
Here you go,my levo with estoria.

20211019_171506_remastered.jpg

20211019_171451.jpg

20211019_171624_remastered.jpg

TBL79

Nov 5, 2020
Finland
How do you feel ?

Estoria feels great and much different than storia on gen 2 levo. Probably gen 3 kinematics or tune is different. Hbo adjustment makes it much more progressive feeling. Maybe there's something also longer spring to do,don't know. With smashpot it feels racy feeling suspension,plush but proggressive.

Dmaguirenz

Nov 22, 2021
New zealand
Hello gents,

Just a quick question.
Just got the 210x55 estoria.
It seems to only have 52.5mm of usable travel...and it doesnt fit as well as the fox x2 or a dvo jade x...
I have to pull the rear wheel up alittle to fit it, anyone have any feedback on fitment?

I kinda feels like its been manufactured to small...

Photo attached
20211122_220150.jpg

rocko_n82

Oct 13, 2018
UK
Hey, the e storia has a negative spring so when you’re preloading the spring this has to be taken into account. Bolt it in with the spring attached, then pull up on your saddle and push your rear wheel down. Then tighten your spring collar to the shock.
That’s possibly the 2.5mm you’re missing when the shock is off the bike due to the negative spring.

Dmaguirenz

Nov 22, 2021
New zealand
Hey, the e storia has a negative spring so when you’re preloading the spring this has to be taken into account. Bolt it in with the spring attached, then pull up on your saddle and push your rear wheel down. Then tighten your spring collar to the shock.
That’s possibly the 2.5mm you’re missing when the shock is off the bike due to the negative spring.
Ok thanks.
I will try again, i pulled put as far as possible and it gets to like 54mm

Will see how i go

Gutch

Sep 10, 2018
South Carolina
How have y’all been making out with the EXT E-Astoria? I’m contemplating this or the Push 11.6 for my new Levo. Big purchase and I know both are fantastic shocks. The EXT in my opinion looks more factory. Anybody with experience tell me if they are loud and when you received them for your Levo, where they pretty dialed out of the box? Thank you for any help.

rocko_n82

Oct 13, 2018
UK
How have y’all been making out with the EXT E-Astoria? I’m contemplating this or the Push 11.6 for my new Levo. Big purchase and I know both are fantastic shocks. The EXT in my opinion looks more factory. Anybody with experience tell me if they are loud and when you received them for your Levo, where they pretty dialed out of the box? Thank you for any help.

Fantastic, the tune out of the box has left me wondering should I even try to improve it. Ive changed two clicks and I'm confident the shock is dialled. The HBO really provides an amazing level of support.

The shock is probably around 200g heavier and that's going to be spring dependant. Yes it makes a strange noise but when on the trail I can't hear it. I guess it might be something you would notice if you ride more groomed trails.

Thoroughly recommend, Mojo and Jack did a great job.

Gutch

Sep 10, 2018
South Carolina
Fantastic, the tune out of the box has left me wondering should I even try to improve it. Ive changed two clicks and I'm confident the shock is dialled. The HBO really provides an amazing level of support.

The shock is probably around 200g heavier and that's going to be spring dependant. Yes it makes a strange noise but when on the trail I can't hear it. I guess it might be something you would notice if you ride more groomed trails.

Thoroughly recommend, Mojo and Jack did a great job.
Thank you for that report. Did you run the X2 before? Did you have issues with your X2?

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
Not on the Levo - but this 170mm fork on the Rail is brilliant. It’s the Performance Elite and it’s everything I’d hoped the 38 would offer.

The e-tuned 38’s have a lighter compression tune. This one is supple, smooth, stiff and no harsh bottom outs.

There’s inconsistency out the factory on these Fox 38’s (and prob industry wide to be fair) but once you get a sorted set they are amazing.

DB02F044-4B94-48FB-96FF-B2864E3E9D70.jpeg

mike172

May 12, 2021
Surrey
Not on the Levo - but this 170mm fork on the Rail is brilliant. It’s the Performance Elite and it’s everything I’d hoped the 38 would offer.

The e-tuned 38’s have a lighter compression tune. This one is supple, smooth, stiff and no harsh bottom outs.

There’s inconsistency out the factory on these Fox 38’s (and prob industry wide to be fair) but once you get a sorted set they are amazing.

View attachment 77862

Are we supposed to play fork roulette until we get a good one?

rocko_n82

Oct 13, 2018
UK
Are we supposed to play fork roulette until we get a good one?
You shouldn't have too but I suspect the inconsistency is largely due to QC at the factory and too much grease in the air shaft. Get a few tool and open them up, plenty of good guides on how. Keep them serviced, look after the seals and they are a great product.

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
I wonder why Specialized didn’t go with the E tuned damper in the Levo?
Not sure. It seems to make a difference. “the initial stroke is softer the end stroke ramps up to provide more progression”

Here’s what Fox say about the e-tuned forks:

e-MTB Tuned
FOX’s e-MTB Tuned forks feature the same chassis as our standard forks except with a custom damper and air spring tune for the slightly different ways in which e-MTBs are ridden as compared to standard MTBs. For example, e-MTBs allow riders to conquer technical rolling terrain with greater ease than is possible on a standard MTB. In order to utilize the assistance provided by the bike in this type of riding the rider must keep pedaling.

It’s difficult to maintain traction while pedaling over rough terrain. Therefore, our e-MTB Tuned forks feature a custom compression tune that helps keep the wheels glued to the ground at all times, maintaining traction and forward momentum, and a more progressive air spring tune to make sure that even though the initial stroke is softer the end stroke ramps up to provide the right amount of support for those bigger hits.

These may seem like subtle differences but optimizing to even the smallest degree is a trait we’ve learned the importance of over our many years of winning races – sometimes by the smallest of margins.

ebikerider

Oct 1, 2019
Australia
You shouldn't have too but I suspect the inconsistency is largely due to QC at the factory and too much grease in the air shaft. Get a few tool and open them up, plenty of good guides on how. Keep them serviced, look after the seals and they are a great product.
One of the inconsistencies seems to be the VVC system. The tolerances are quite fine and with production/machining variations each damper can produce very different results at the same setting. My damper needed parts manufactured to be able to get into the required tuning range so it could be a lottery if you get one that works as Fox intended.

Lightme

Subscriber
Jul 17, 2020
Sydney
Has anyone put a 180mm fork on their Levo? I have a 180mm 38 lying around, considering putting it on.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles