SRAM's new 2023 Drivetrain allows full power shifts

D

Deleted member 7401

Fitted mine today. Super easy to install.
Paddle shift is ugly but functional. Probably better when Magura make a match maker for it.

Quick ride around the car park and it feels identical to the old AXS.

Hopefully will get out tomorrow for a proper test ride.

Install App for chain length takes all the faff out of the install.

View attachment 110461 View attachment 110462 View attachment 110463 View attachment 110464 View attachment 110465

Do you think the longer crank arms will be a problem?? I have been hitting my stock 160s on rocks like mad lately.

Suns_PSD

Jul 12, 2022
Austin
  • Agree
Reactions: Dax

Dave_B

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Aug 29, 2020
Newquay
Its 4 bolt BCD I assume and a SRAM chainring....which is not threaded for the bolts so they are nuts and bolts. You need to use an allen key on the bolts with a slot type tool ( make your own) to hold the "nut" at the back of each bolt. Rotate the chainguard out of the way. Chainring will then come off the spider although you probably need to remove the pedal.

No need to remove the spider unless the T replacement is direct mount. If so you have to remove the crank then the undo the lockring....which on a Brose motor is normal thread so counter clockwise to undo. Tool required is Park Tool LRT-3 or similar.

Just as an fyi.
It’s a 10mm nut on the back side of the chain ring and not a slot type.

Also, the chain ring does not go over the spider when all 4 bolts are removed.
(I had to drill one out today cause I rounded one of the nuts)

Lesson learned. You need to remove the spider to change the chain ring. You need a BBT18 tool to remove the lock ring.

My ring is currently dangling on the crank as I wait for the lock ring tool to arrive from Amazon……..

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Also, the chain ring does not go over the spider when all 4 bolts are removed.
Are you sure ?

I've not tried it on the gen3 Levo, but I know that often it seems impossible then turns into one of those little metal puzzles and eventually you work out some bizarre routine of jiggles and movements and it magically comes free.

It's Friday night .. let your hair down and play spider puzzle all evening ....

irie

Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK
Wonder what Shimano's response to this will be?
Now we have it.

"Shimano Release Derailleur Less E-bike Only Drivetrain/Motor "TransMotion" System".

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth

iadmtb

Jan 23, 2023
Thousand Oaks, CA
Are you sure ?

I've not tried it on the gen3 Levo, but I know that often it seems impossible then turns into one of those little metal puzzles and eventually you work out some bizarre routine of jiggles and movements and it magically comes free.

It's Friday night .. let your hair down and play spider puzzle all evening ....
I was able to remove the chainring without removing the spider on my gen 3 Levo. It did take a bit of trial and error but eventually I was able to remove the chainring.

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
I was able to remove the chainring without removing the spider on my gen 3 Levo. It did take a bit of trial and error but eventually I was able to remove the chainring.
its certainly possible on the Gen 2 Levo.

Dave_B

Subscriber
Aug 29, 2020
Newquay
I needed the lock ring tool and a puller.
All done now. 36t chain ring installed.
I’ve not researched the chain line measurements? Read a comment somewhere that it’s 55mm? Presume the 104BCD 36t ring that comes with the XO version is correct for ? (Read somewhere about the direct mount needing milling?)

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
I needed the lock ring tool and a puller.
All done now. 36t chain ring installed.
I’ve not researched the chain line measurements? Read a comment somewhere that it’s 55mm? Presume the 104BCD 36t ring that comes with the XO version is correct for ? (Read somewhere about the direct mount needing milling?)
Not sure why 55mm............chainline is set by the hub..ie boost ( 148mm)...so chainline should be 51 to 53 ..........ie usually 3mm offset chainring.

G-Sport

Oct 7, 2022
Yorkshire
Not sure why 55mm............chainline is set by the hub..ie boost ( 148mm)...so chainline should be 51 to 53 ..........ie usually 3mm offset chainring.
SRAM moved the whole cassette over a few mm closer to the dropout so the chain line is 55mm. This gives more tyre clearance which is cool, but I do worry that some frames will foul the chain in the smallest sprocket as a result.

Sanzun

May 31, 2022
Spain

Rich-H

Apr 3, 2023
Hampshire
Levo runs a 52mm chain line as standard.

Eagle transmission has moved to a 55mm chain line with Boost 148 spacing. If you have a frame with non Boost 142 spacing then you would use a 52mm chain line with Eagle transmission.

If you want to use a 104BCD chainring with a 55mm chain line then you would need a different spider to get the correct chain line. The new direct mount chainring will give you a 55mm chain line.

Dave_B

Subscriber
Aug 29, 2020
Newquay
So why did someone mill down the direct mount spider to get the ‘correct’ chain line?

timo_

Mar 21, 2021
Germany
So why did someone mill down the direct mount spider to get the ‘correct’ chain line?
Because the Direct Mount vs. Spider or Hope Direct Mount chainring has 5mm more instead of 3. So 57 instead of 55mm.

5eae0221-1f22-46b9-a411-33f349ad0b89.jpeg

Last edited:

Rich-H

Apr 3, 2023
Hampshire
Strange, there was 3mm difference between the standard chainring with spider and new direct mount when I did the same measurement, giving me a perfect 55mm chain line.

Dave_B

Subscriber
Aug 29, 2020
Newquay
£17 for a power link !!!

Rich-H

Apr 3, 2023
Hampshire
I think there are 4 Powerlocks links in the packet but still expensive, that's the "cheap" version as well! :rolleyes:

brunsje

Nov 20, 2022
Jacksonville Beach, FL
Is 2mm that significant? I guess the chain would be 'straight line' slightly more toward the s smaller cassette rings? And it would add a bit more clearance away from the chain guide?

What am I missing?

Thanks from a Dummy !!

Rich-H

Apr 3, 2023
Hampshire
It'll work with a 52mm chain line but it might not shift quite as well and will probably wear quicker.

The other advantage of a 55mm chain line is that you can run a 38T chain ring on a Levo, a 38T chain ring on a 52mm chain line either didn't fit or was very tight.

Last edited:

Ou812

Jun 26, 2022
Fort William
£17 for a power link !!!

I haven’t even looked for the links yet but that’s just one more thing that makes it even more expensive. I’d need two chains and a ton of links since they can’t be reused. I remove my chain a good bit for cleaning too.

Dave_B

Subscriber
Aug 29, 2020
Newquay
So I’ve put the 36t chain ring on my Levo that came with the drivetrain upgrade (minus cranks). What chain mine with I have now?

Tankboy

Jun 23, 2022
Weymouth
I take my chain off every week for cleaning in petrol and use the same Powerlink for the life of the chain, so must over 50+ times before I bin the chain? Don't believe all that nonsense about single use, as long as it snaps into place it's good to go as it's only under tension?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles