Sram GX T derailleur/eagle drivetrain hack...anyone with old AXS try it?

TCFlowClyde

Feb 26, 2022
Mesa, AZ
So, I'm getting ready to upgrade my frame to UDH compatibility. Uniquely, my frame manufacturer (SZZS CEF50-Bafang M820) offers a UDH chainstay option. I currently have old AXS GX.

I found this guy that created an interesting hack. See it below. Has anyone tried this specifically?🤔

Basically, the guy bought a XO T-type derailleur, then added a 1 mm freehub spacer to accommodate the chain line, whilst keeping his GX eagle cassette, chain, and AXS e-shifter. 5 months later no complaints. Says it's still precise and quick. Also, can shift under load better than the Old AXS.🤟

Now that the GX T-type derailleur ($400 USD) has come out recently, I can chunk the costs as my newish AXS/eagle GX cassette and XO chain wear on a bit longer. 💪

Absolutely I agree, the full Sram GX transmission will yield the best results, but it's too much cash upfront at $950 USD (no e-cranks version).💸

Until then, and as the budget allows, I'm thinking go full Sram Tran: GX T-type cassette ($400 USD) and XO chain ($100 USD) eventually. Keeping my Hope e-cranks.👑

Lastly, I am 💯 onboard with 86ing the derailleur altogether...finally!!!! The future is either a light weight e-shifting IGH (e-Kindernay VII?) or a geared-drive unit, but practically that's still a few years away yet! 😇

Last edited:

Koban

Oct 15, 2023
Germany
I was also curious. And treid it whit the an XX1 cassette, chain and chainring. With a 53mm (CL) chainline. Yes it did shift till the 11 T. Not the best, but it worked. Shifting to the 10th it was horror.
There is also different spacing between the new and old SRAM cassettes. With the Transmission you have less options to fine tune.

I was better of with complete AXS XX1 drive train. Or mixing this with an XTR/cassette/chain/chainring.

At the end I didn't see the benefits for Transmission to mix with the old XX1 or Shimano XTR.

Other test that somebody did. It is in German ;-)

For me was just to test. I have both emtb's on SRAM XX AXS Transmission. And an older bike on the older SRAM XX1 AXS.

p3eps

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
I have a complete T-Type XX drivetrain, and used to use AXS XX1.

Recently, I’ve bought a new wheelset, and was going to use my old one as a winter one - where I often ride cycle paths and forest trails… so a narrower better rolling tyre might be more appropriate.

I have an old XX1 12 speed cassette, and wondered if I could use this on the spare wheels rather than buying another T-Type cassette. Will have to investigate this.

Koban

Oct 15, 2023
Germany
The Transmission cassette sits 3mm more to the outside than the old SRAM cassettes. Also the teeth of the cassette has changed. Same with the chain. This has a different witdth. The transmission has 14 steps of micro adjustment where the older AXS has 30. This will be hard to make it fit. Yes it can work. Not as smooth as the old SRAM AXS setup or full SRAM Transmission setup.

Main issues was not shifting as smooth and on the smaller cog it was an horror to get on. For me it was a no go. I bought an extra Transmission cassette. And not going to mix match. The old XX1 AXS stuf I can luckily use on an older bike.

Tested it on an Spectral ON and Torque ON it was not working great. Tested it with an 53mm CL and with 55mm CL

TCFlowClyde

Feb 26, 2022
Mesa, AZ
.Tested it with an 53mm CL and with 55mm CL
Oh ok. So, you added the 1 mm driverbody spacer in order to push out the XX1 cassette for a 55 chain line? And still shifting was not smooth? Bummer! 😔
Thanks for the feedback. 👍

Koban

Oct 15, 2023
Germany
Oh ok. So, you added the 1 mm driverbody spacer in order to push out the XX1 cassette for a 55 chain line? And still shifting was not smooth? Bummer! 😔
Thanks for the feedback. 👍
Did use an Shimano 4-arm spider 53mm CL and a FSA 4-arm spider with 55mm CL with a:
* SRAM transmission 34T chainring and
* Standard 34T chainring.

Also tested it with a:
* Canyon 34T 53mm CL chainring.
* SRAM Transmission 34T 55mm CL for Shimano Steps

Tested it on two bikes. Canyon Torque ON and Spectral ON. Both have an Shimano EP8 motor

Cassetes that I use:
SRAM XX Transmission
SRAM XX1 10-52

Chains:
SRAM XX Transmission
SRAM XX1 gold

And also with an Shimano XTR 10-51 cassette and XTR chain.

Last edited:

Cell4soul

E*POWAH Master
Jul 11, 2022
Mesa, AZ
Does anyone know if the GX T-Type will work with my current cranks? I am running 5Dev 155 mm and don’t want to change these. I am on a Trek Fuel EXe. I appreciate any info.

Koban

Oct 15, 2023
Germany
It works with 53 and 55mm chain line. Then is the question is there an (third party) Chain ring Transmission that fits your crank. There are some third party brands that announced chain rings.

Yes it can work ;-)

Cell4soul

E*POWAH Master
Jul 11, 2022
Mesa, AZ
Had the GX T-Type transmission installed by my LBS yesterday. I only had to purchase the derailleur, cassette and chain. LBS said my original E*thirteen chain ring will work with the T-Type transmission. I am going to take the new transmission for a ride tomorrow.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles