Sram GX AXS works with Shimano?

pdrmartins

Apr 24, 2023
Portugal
Hi!

I have a shimano Deore 12s and I was looking to buy the upgrade kit from sram the GX AXS.

Will it work?

Thanks a lot

jbrown15

May 27, 2020
Chilliwack, Canada
I'm just trying to use the cassette until the end... is all about the cassette, right?

When I first upgraded to a AXS X01 derailleur I ran a Deore cassette, it was completely fine. When I finally swapped out a GX cassette the shifting was ever so slightly smoother shifter. But honestly it wasn’t a night and day difference.

pdrmartins

Apr 24, 2023
Portugal
When I first upgraded to a AXS X01 derailleur I ran a Deore cassette, it was completely fine. When I finally swapped out a GX cassette the shifting was ever so slightly smoother shifter. But honestly it wasn’t a night and day difference.
thank you! fell real better knowing that it will be a no brainer...🤞

Orangie

Feb 1, 2020
Pittsburgh
If you set it up correctly, it is the best shifting drivetrain available. Must use Shimano lower pulley( or modify sram) and set up with 10 mm b gap. Don’t use tool. Waaaaay off. 10 mm from tooth to tooth in 2 nd gear Absolutely awesome shifting

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
If you set it up correctly, it is the best shifting drivetrain available. Must use Shimano lower pulley( or modify sram) and set up with 10 mm b gap. Don’t use tool. Waaaaay off. 10 mm from tooth to tooth in 2 nd gear Absolutely awesome shifting
I can confirm this. Been using the AXS GX derailer for 2 years now, with a Shimano XT cassette and Hyper Glide (HG) chain. The “B” screw setting is important. I changed the lower jockey wheel to Sram but it may not be necessary.

The latest indexing program available allows for individual cog settings for a very quiet and smooth shifting. IMO, drivetrain parts seem to last longer for me.

The problems with this setup is; Too quiet, too smooth, too fast, and too easy. Other than that …I like 👍🏻. 😉

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
That's awesome. Do you mean change the bottom jockey wheel to Shimano?

Also what measurement did you use for the b screw?
I can’t remember the B screw setting/distance but an Allen wrench helped with the chain/cassette distance (5mm?).
I changed the lower jockey wheel to Shimano (13t ?).

Sander23

Aug 28, 2020
Belgium
I can’t remember the B screw setting/distance but an Allen wrench helped with the chain/cassette distance (5mm?).
I changed the lower jockey wheel to Shimano (13t ?).
That's something I wondered to changing to xt pulleys.
My gx axs pulleys are pretty bad they don't spin that good and they are only 3-4 months old

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
That's something I wondered to changing to xt pulleys.
My gx axs pulleys are pretty bad they don't spin that good and they are only 3-4 months old
Ensure the screw holes are the same size. My jockey wheel swap was easy. The bearings do need servicing once in a while it’s a simple bearing but does need grease occasionally or cleaning. They should spin easily though.

Bigtuna00

Nov 27, 2019
CA
Just adding another vote. AXS drivetrain with Shimano cassette and chain is the best shifting there is, no cables plus you can shift under load. The new Transmission may shift just as well (that remains to be seen) but is also heavier.

I use an XX1 AXS kit with XTR cassette and chain. The cassette and chain have 1100 miles on them with no measurable stretch. I've had the AXS stuff on for about 200 miles. I had to swap wheels recently so I threw on a Deore cassette and it shifted perfectly.

pdrmartins

Apr 24, 2023
Portugal
  • Just adding another vote. AXS drivetrain with Shimano cassette and chain is the best shifting there is, no cables plus you can shift under load. The new Transmission may shift just as well (that remains to be seen) but is also heavier.

I use an XX1 AXS kit with XTR cassette and chain. The cassette and chain have 1100 miles on them with no measurable stretch. I've had the AXS stuff on for about 200 miles. I had to swap wheels recently so I threw on a Deore cassette and it shifted perfectly.
  • Is the Deore, the Shimano Deore M6100 12s ?

mas

Apr 3, 2020
Australia
The latest indexing program available allows for individual cog settings for a very quiet and smooth shifting. IMO, drivetrain parts seem to last longer for me.
Are you sure?
I just updated to the latest app but it doesn't do this. It has micro adjust but it applies it to the whole cassette not the individual gears.

Cb750stu

Subscriber
Nov 6, 2020
United Kingdom
Are you sure?
I just updated to the latest app but it doesn't do this. It has micro adjust but it applies it to the whole cassette not the individual gears.
Can you not use the app to index each gear , I'm sure I've just done it through the app 🤔

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
Are you sure?
Complete adjustments for the entire cassette makes sense. Like cable adjustments for correct indexing. Once the high and low screws are set and the B screw is adjusted, just fine tune the indexing with the barrel screw. Easy.

But when I used the app (latest dl) for the AXS GX, each gear, or cog, was adjustable. The app would show which gear you’re in and the indexing (0-30? I think) for that gear. Each of my 12 gears had specific indexing adjustments. My adjustments varied between 12-18 for easy shifting. For example; 4th gear was 15, but 11th gear was 12.

This kind of adjustment was not available until recently. I was surprised and a little confused at first, but realized the advantage once I started making fine-tuning micro adjustments. Once everything was set for smooth and quiet operation, I went for a test ride. It worked fine. I even pinched myself to make sure I wasn’t sleeping. 😉. Or maybe I was a secret test-monkey 😳.

Cb750stu

Subscriber
Nov 6, 2020
United Kingdom
Complete adjustments for the entire cassette makes sense. Like cable adjustments for correct indexing. Once the high and low screws are set and the B screw is adjusted, just fine tune the indexing with the barrel screw. Easy.

But when I used the app (latest dl) for the AXS GX, each gear, or cog, was adjustable. The app would show which gear you’re in and the indexing (0-30? I think) for that gear. Each of my 12 gears had specific indexing adjustments. My adjustments varied between 12-18 for easy shifting. For example; 4th gear was 15, but 11th gear was 12.

This kind of adjustment was not available until recently. I was surprised and a little confused at first, but realized the advantage once I started making fine-tuning micro adjustments. Once everything was set for smooth and quiet operation, I went for a test ride. It worked fine. I even pinched myself to make sure I wasn’t sleeping. 😉. Or maybe I was a secret test-monkey 😳.
I knew I was correct and not going mad 😜

Alexbn921

Sep 27, 2021
East Bay CA

It doesn't work on my bike. It's a global adjustment and even Sram says that it's not adjustable for each gear.

monty1991

Nov 12, 2021
Northern Ireland
Do you guys set your keys with the bike in sag position or just on a work stand. I've always just done it on the work stand but heard of people setting it with the suspension in sag position

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
I knew I was correct and not going mad 😜
Maybe we’re both mad…or stuck in the same dream. 😉

I don’t discount @mas explanation because I’m not 100% sure of the indexing adjustments, but I noticed fine micro adjustments for each gear as indicated through the app. Even now I could go back into the app and make a specific adjustment to a specific gear.

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
Do you guys set your keys with the bike in sag position or just on a work stand. I've always just done it on the work stand but heard of people setting it with the suspension in sag position
I usually adjust in the stand, wheels off the ground.

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
If Sram says that there is no such adjustment possible, then maybe I’m making things up and I’m completely fooled …which is possible.

mas

Apr 3, 2020
Australia
Maybe we’re both mad…or stuck in the same dream. 😉

I don’t discount @mas explanation because I’m not 100% sure of the indexing adjustments, but I noticed fine micro adjustments for each gear as indicated through the app. Even now I could go back into the app and make a specific adjustment to a specific gear.
In the app it shows you what gear you are in and what micro adjustment position you are in. So if you are in gear 9 and at position 17 and change it to 19 when you change to any other gear it will now be in 19.
I just cant understand why they dont allow it per gear as that would make it flawless I would think.

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
hmmm, that’s strange because mine shows the specific indexing for each individual gear.

I can set different indexing for different gears, and it remains that way.
Gear: Setting:
1. 10
2. 13
3. 14
4. 11
5. 15
6. 18
7. 12
8. 17
9. 11
10. 21
11. 19
12. 16

When I return to the app these are the shown settings. I can purposely change 4th gear to 24 setting and that gear will sound terrible. Al the others will shift and sound good.

I don’t know what to say? Maybe I’m imagining this, but I’ve checked.

But, what you’re saying makes sense.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles