Trek Fuel Exe 9.8XT - Is Shimano XT Drivetrain Compatible with SRAM GX AXS Derailleur?

edjerum

Mar 26, 2024
East Bay SF
I would like to install wireless AXS shifting on my Fuel Exe but would like to avoid having to purchase and install the whole Sram T type Drivetrain Group Set. I have read and heard so many conflicting opinions on whether just installing the GX AXS Upgrade kit will work smoothly with Shimano XT Cassette, Chain, CR and Cranks on the Trek and would appreciate hearing experiences from riders that have tried this on Fuel Exe and useful tips. THANKS!

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
I think the important thing is to match the chain type to the drivetrain, whether it’s Sram or Shimano. Why? There may be slight differences in the cogs on the cassette, chainring, jockey wheels.

I’ve used the Shimano cassette-Sram AXS derailer setup for a few years. Ethirteen chainring, Hyper Glide chain, Shimano XT cassette, 13 tooth Shimano guide wheel. It works great.

IMG_7542.jpeg

IMG_7543.jpeg

Then I have the Sram T-type on the Fuel EXE. I didn’t do any mods to this shifting setup because it works great just the way it is. Changing gears under load is not a problem with this setup.

IMG_7544.jpeg

IMG_7545.jpeg
The AXS shifter is wired to the main battery (not really a factor for me).
This Sram setup likely needs a specific Sram chain in order to get smooth and quiet shifting under load. The cassette may need to be Sram also. There is no “B” screw setting either so I think chain tension and length is important.

Anyways, none of this probably helps for you…but it works for me 🤷‍♂️

Koban

Oct 15, 2023
Germany
The SRAM AXS XX1 with Shimano XTR cassette/chain + Hyperglide+ chainring works same or even better then full SRAM AXS XX1. When you are going to mix chains, chainring and cassette. This will work. But shifting will be not that smooth.

When using SRAM Transmission. Sorry ... you can not mix with Shimano or with older SRAM parts ;-)
Ride on my Spectral ON & Torque ON with SRAM Transmission. Not looking back to Shimano XTR or the old SRAM AXS.

Sep 23, 2021
St. Adèle, QC
I would like to install wireless AXS shifting on my Fuel Exe but would like to avoid having to purchase and install the whole Sram T type Drivetrain Group Set. I have read and heard so many conflicting opinions on whether just installing the GX AXS Upgrade kit will work smoothly with Shimano XT Cassette, Chain, CR and Cranks on the Trek and would appreciate hearing experiences from riders that have tried this on Fuel Exe and useful tips. THANKS!
I prefer that the chain is the same make as the derailleur for performance reasons. Obviously the derailleur and shifter need to be the same (12s SRAM or 11/10s Shimano and compatible) but the Deore, SLX, XT, XTR cassette is still the best in the business. Chainring is a variable, cranks do not matter as long as they fit and are reasonably close to current specifications.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles