SRAM Eagle AXS Issues

Another One

Feb 28, 2022
London / Wakefield
Hi all thought I would ask before messing it up further, my AXS is showing the wrong gear and I am not sure how to change setting. It went as far as chain coming off behind cassette when selecting from highest gear. I have attached some images just trying to save myself a trip to LBS and rest of weekend. Thanks

2439F402-DFC2-4BF7-B5AE-0E8BD59C8238.jpeg

6FA9DD6A-F982-45E5-9131-016F7F4020D4.jpeg

flash

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Nov 24, 2018
Wamberal, NSW Australia
Can you reach the smallest cog? I would assume not if you can shift over the back of the cassette.....

If the above is true you just need to micro adjust the mech down the cassette. Hold the little button under the controller and push the upper switch, which will move the shifting down the cassette incrementally. You'll need about 10 presses to move one gear. That's the equivalent of tensioning the cable on a mechanical system.

If you can shift to the bottom cog are you skipping any gears on the way up/down. If so your mech hanger or mech is out of alignment. Probably a bent hangar.

Also go into the app and reset everything to its defaults. You may have accidentally changed something there.

Gordon

Another One

Feb 28, 2022
London / Wakefield
Can you reach the smallest cog? I would assume not if you can shift over the back of the cassette.....

If the above is true you just need to micro adjust the mech down the cassette. Hold the little button under the controller and push the upper switch, which will move the shifting down the cassette incrementally. You'll need about 10 presses to move one gear. That's the equivalent of tensioning the cable on a mechanical system.

If you can shift to the bottom cog are you skipping any gears on the way up/down. If so your mech hanger or mech is out of alignment. Probably a bent hangar.

Also go into the app and reset everything to its defaults. You may have accidentally changed something there.

Gordon
Hi Gordon thanks for this and yes it can reach the smallest cog I think the problem happens when I get to gear 6, the mech hanger looks fine but will try your solution first before LBS. Appreciate the support.

Tankboy

Jun 23, 2022
Weymouth
Link up the system with the Sram AXS app and reset the micro adjust to the middle (about 15?) just a few clicks out on the micro adjust can throw it off? Sounds like you've reached the max on the micro adjust setting and it fails to get the last gear cus it's all adjusted out by one? Also the chain length - should almost stretch the derailleur cage flat when in the lowest gear with suspension fully compressed? Also make sure battery at 100% as when it near flat it reduces the power so won't go into the biggest cog? AXS and all the Sram 12 speed set ups are brilliant when everything is new, once a bit of wear and a bit damage hits it they can be impossible to get good in all ratios?

Scam have missed a simple software add on which could be a game changer - allowing a micro adjust on every cog rather than across the whole cassette as one? That way you could adjust for every ratio as the cassette cogs wear in - ebikes wear out the top 4 or 5 gears before all the others as we all are lazy with gear changes when you got up 250watts extra power on tap?

Another One

Feb 28, 2022
London / Wakefield
Link up the system with the Sram AXS app and reset the micro adjust to the middle (about 15?) just a few clicks out on the micro adjust can throw it off? Sounds like you've reached the max on the micro adjust setting and it fails to get the last gear cus it's all adjusted out by one? Also the chain length - should almost stretch the derailleur cage flat when in the lowest gear with suspension fully compressed? Also make sure battery at 100% as when it near flat it reduces the power so won't go into the biggest cog? AXS and all the Sram 12 speed set ups are brilliant when everything is new, once a bit of wear and a bit damage hits it they can be impossible to get good in all ratios?

Scam have missed a simple software add on which could be a game changer - allowing a micro adjust on every cog rather than across the whole cassette as one? That way you could adjust for every ratio as the cassette cogs wear in - ebikes wear out the top 4 or 5 gears before all the others as we all are lazy with gear changes when you got up 250watts extra power on tap?
Tankboy thanks for this although I could not find out how to reset in app so although working better not great and gears not index correctly. I think it best I drop off at LBS before I do anymore damage.

Tankboy

Jun 23, 2022
Weymouth
Its not a reset as such in the app, you just scroll the micro adjust number to the middle which is 15? Micro shift range is 1 - 30. The other way is to do this is manually pressing buttons on the shifter? You can play around with the derailleur without effecting anything if you either take the chain off or pull the the bottom cage forward and engage the hold button which keeps the cage locked forward, this will give you a bit of slack in the chain, or finally just remove the wheel to free off the derailleur from binding?

RustyIron

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Jun 5, 2021
La Habra, California
You can play around with the derailleur without effecting anything if you either take the chain off

^^^What he said.
Sometimes when adjustments are way out of whack, the problem appears more difficult than it really is.

Set the trim to 15 (described in the manual)

Take off the chain to get it out of hte way.

Shift through each gear 1 through 12, sighting from behind the bike,
and see how well the jockey wheels align with the cogs on the cassette.

When it's visually close, then put the chain back on, adjust b, and adjust trim one last time.

If you've jacked with the limit screws, the solution might be confusing. Back them off so they're out of the way. THEN get the derailleur adjusted properly. Only after everything is perfect should you run the limits back in.

Another One

Feb 28, 2022
London / Wakefield
Thanks all appreciate the support travelling back home to London tonight and not back until Saturday so may have a play around again then, although highly likely going to dealers Tuesday.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles