SRAM's new 2023 Drivetrain allows full power shifts

AZCN

Oct 29, 2019
Phoenix
Confirmed. New pods work on all AXS.
hey Rob, your video on this was amazing. I have a gen 3 levo as well and I cannot for the life of me find what chain ring is compatible with that BIKE given the new 55 mm chain line and the mounting specifications. Do you know what chain ring you got for that set up? Is it direct amount? Is there a specific one just for the Levo? I don’t know which one to get. Thanks

Suns_PSD

Jul 12, 2022
Austin
Rob, serious question that you are much better positioned to answer than most: I ride 11 speed on my current pedal bikes and prefer it. In fact, I ditched 12 speed AXS sometime back.

The 11 speed's primary advantage is that I don't end up in too low of a gear on technical climbs where I need some momentum to clear ledges and what not.

I also find SRAM 11 speed more robust. It's also lighter/ cheaper/ and has better clearance.

Although I live in chunky rolling terrain, I've used the same parts in the mountains with no problems.

So, my question is now that I'm going mid-power e-bike (have a Relay on the way that will be a Mullet), is there any reason I would not be well served using SRAM 11 speed on this build? It just seems odd to ever need a 52 tooth 1st gear, with a motor. My understanding is that the Relay uses a 32 tooth front chain ring, for reference.

Are the low gears on an e-bike just so one is able to pedal a broken/ dead e-bike out?

Thx.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Comes with a free bike ?

1679591984098.png

We were probably there before if you really wanted to... I know many complain about prices and lets face it, most of that is component cost, but a drivetrain for more than a bike ?!? (bad example I know as it's a haibike ... 🤪)

1679592637061.png

Last edited:

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
hey Rob, your video on this was amazing. I have a gen 3 levo as well and I cannot for the life of me find what chain ring is compatible with that BIKE given the new 55 mm chain line and the mounting specifications. Do you know what chain ring you got for that set up? Is it direct amount? Is there a specific one just for the Levo? I don’t know which one to get. Thanks
I'm guessing you just need the 104 ?

1679592455871.png

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Was this even primarily developed for MTB?? Surely shifting under load is mostly a benefit for road racers?? I agree with a lot of the engineers sceptisism...........

RustyIron

Jun 5, 2021
La Habra, California
I've seen a lot of videos on the Transmission, but haven't seen anyone demonstrating the "full power shift" on a steep technical climb while standing on the pedals. Parking lots and fire roads don't count.

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
I'm looking to buy the X0 kit and found this one SRAM X0 Eagle Transmission Groupset for the Brose. But on the bottom it says it's not suitable for the Levo gen 3, does anyone know why it's not suitable?
Can’t see anything obvious. The only thing might be that I’m not sure if Specialized have any stipulations regarding 36t chainring.

I’ll see if I can find an answer…

iadmtb

Jan 23, 2023
Thousand Oaks, CA
I purchased a set of 155mm 5 Dev cranks and titanium chainring a few weeks ago for my Turbo Levo that has an AXS drivetrain. I’m considering upgrading to the new SRAM transmission. Found out directly from 5 Dev that their current chainring (and cranks) are compatible with the new SRAM transmission.

From 5 Dev
”Yes, cranks and rings are compatible with the new SRAM transmission.

We will be developing an 8 bolt ring that should be ready to go early summer.

For use with their cranks as well.

Hope that helps.”

Dax

May 25, 2018
FoD
This seems like a big leap forwards, looking forward to some trickle down into the cheaper ranges. Great video @Rob Rides EMTB

The testing was interesting, but notably sram don’t show the ‘catching your mech on a rock at 20mph’ simulator 😂

D

Deleted member 7401

I've seen a lot of videos on the Transmission, but haven't seen anyone demonstrating the "full power shift" on a steep technical climb while standing on the pedals. Parking lots and fire roads don't count.

Lol. I agree. A lot of talk but not a lot of action video in the review edits. Kind of odd for such an amazing looking product…especially when most have had the groupsets for so long.

But I am still going to get it for my Levo so…

KSL

Jul 10, 2021
SoCal

🔥 2023 SRAM Eagle Key Features:

1️⃣ Robustness & Reliability - The toughest drivetrain ever
2️⃣ Shifting Under Load - The harder you pedal, the better it shifts
3️⃣ Ease of Use - Simplified maintenance, fitting, and operation

A few for your FAQ's you may have missed.

Q: Will my wife still love me?
Q: Will it make me look thinner?

Oh shoot....wrong forum.

jsharpe

May 15, 2019
USA
I'm looking to buy the X0 kit and found this one SRAM X0 Eagle Transmission Groupset for the Brose. But on the bottom it says it's not suitable for the Levo gen 3, does anyone know why it's not suitable?
Thinking about the same thing but for a Gen 2 (2020) Levo. Which would seem to work with the kit you found. However, although the doc for the Gen 3 Levos state UDH compatibility. I haven't been able to find a definitive answer on whether the Gen 2 Levos use UDH.

randycpu

Nov 15, 2018
Silicon Valley, USA
Here's some FAQ:

Can I upgrade my mountain bike to Eagle Transmission?
Any frame that fulfills the “UDH Specification” featuring a hanger-less interface can be upgraded. Complete specification information can be found at universalderailleurhanger.com

How will I know if my bike is UDH (Universal Derailleur Hanger) compatible?
SRAM UDH Bike finder lists all UDH bikes that are compatible with Eagle Transmission. bikefinder.sram.com

Do I need the AXS app to set up my Eagle Transmission every time?
No, you can install Eagle Transmissions quickly and easily without ever using the AXS App. If you need installation instructions, set-up key configurations, or the chain size for your bike, you can consult AXS Web, the installation manual for Eagle Transmission, as well as the installation videos.

Derailleur hangers break or bend to protect the rear derailleur. What happens if I crash with Eagle Transmission?
Bent hangers can cause several issues, from bad shifting to, with a severely bent hanger, the rear derailleur jamming into the wheels and can result in catastrophic damage. The Eagle Transmission rear derailleur is connected to the axle system and is designed to be extremely robust against side and frontal impacts so you can continue your ride after a crash.

What does the “Setup-Key” do?
The “Setup-Key” in the correct position for your bike paired with the correct “Setup- Cog” allows chain gap pre-adjustment without B-Screw in the repair stand (without sag) so the chain gap will be correct when the bike moves into the sag position while riding. No more phoning a friend for chain gap setup.

The Eagle Transmission derailleur cage looks bent, is this normal?
The “Inline Cage” is bent by design. It always points the chain towards the front chainring – in any gear, helping achieve the smooth and quiet operation of the transmission in all cogs.

How do I know, what “Setup-Key”-position is needed for my bike?
Please visit the SRAM AXS App or AXS Web Eagle Transmission Setup and search for your bike.

How do I know what size chain to use with Eagle Transmissions?
Chain length for Eagle Transmissions is determined by the chainstay length of the bike at full extension (not compressed), and the chainring size. Chain length can be found in the AXS app set-up guide, in the manual, or on the chain chart found here: Eagle Transmission Chain Length Chart

Do I have to re-adjust the system after I take the wheel out?
No, the adjustment position will be maintained when the axle is loosened and re-installed.

Do I have to re-adjust the system when I change the chainring size/ chainstay length?
Yes, these changes affect the chain length needs of the system and the position of the upper pulley, which is important for the best shifting performance. You need to check the correct chain length (with the app) and
adjust the chain accordingly. Next, re-do the set-up process to adjust the position of the upper pulley wheel to the new setup. The same is true for any other drivetrain system.

Are Flight Attendant and Eagle Transmission compatible?
Yes. Flight Attendant requires a pedal sensor to detect the rotation of the crank. Eagle Transmission can be equipped with SRAM AXS Eagle Transmission spider or spindle based Quarq power meters which function as the Flight Attendant pedal sensor, as well as a power meter.

Is there a mullet configuration for Eagle Transmission on road and gravel bikes? Yes, SRAM 1x AXS Road chainrings are compatible with T-Type chains. Therefore, Eagle Transmission can be used with a SRAM AXS road chainring and crank for a mullet configuration. The frame needs to be UDH compatible.

Why does Eagle Transmission use a 55mm chain line and what is the result?
Eagle Transmission features a SRAM MTB WIDE crank with 55mm chain line while using the Boost 148mm Over- Locknut Dimension hub standard. This is made possible by the frame adjustments implemented with UDH to allow for more clearance around suspension bearings, tires, and chain stays. Eagle Transmission cassettes move outboard by 2.5mm to optimize for this wider, 55mm chain line. For bikes with SuperBoost 157mm hubs,
a 55mm chain line crank can be used. For bikes with a 142mm hub spacing, a 52mm link crank must be used.

I hit my rear derailleur on a trailside object, and it rotated backwards. How do I reset it?
How do you know if it is reset? Check that the rear derailleur has rotated relative to the knurled ring by inspecting the hash marks on the inboard top side of the hanger-less interface, they should be aligned. If they are not, you can push the rear derailleur forward by hand until they align or loosen the axle and allow the rear derailleur to rotate forward under the spring force of the cage. Resetting the mount bolt is not required.

What is the correct torque for my axle when using Eagle Transmission?
Axle torque plays a role in how hard it is to rotate the Eagle Transmission rear derailleur rearwards with an impact, as well as how hard it is to reset it manually. Follow the axle torque recommendations specified by the bike or axle manufacturer.

Can I use the POD controller on previous Eagle AXS drivetrains?
Yes, the POD electronic controllers can be used with Eagle Transmission, as can any other two button SRAM AXS electronic controller. Eagle Transmission is also compatible with eTap AXS Wireless Blips.

Can I mix Eagle Transmission parts with Eagle drivetrain parts?
No. Eagle Transmission does not work with any previous Eagle components. However, Eagle Transmission T-Type chainrings are backwards compatible with Eagle chains, so can be used on the current Eagle drivetrains. Non-T- Type Eagle chainrings will not work with Eagle Transmission chains, however.

Why are Eagle Transmission cranks and chainrings 8-bolt pattern?
The 8-bolt pattern is required for use with Quarq AXS power meters. The 8-bolt pattern on Eagle Transmission allows all cranksets to be upgraded to a spider based power meter if desired.

Shifting Eagle Transmission in the repair stand seems rough compared to when riding. What is wrong?

Our Transmissions are designed to be ridden, and riding happens at SAG for full suspension bikes. The radically simplified set-up of Eagle Transmission accounts for the SAG position to properly set chain gap. When a full suspension bike is fully extended, as in a bike stand, the chain gap is smaller than optimal and may result in rough shifting. Ride your bike at SAG!

I hit my rear derailleur and scratched up the outside of it. Can I make it look fresh again?
In most cases, yes. Eagle Transmission rear derailleurs are designed to have replaceable points of frequent contact: the skid plate (if equipped), the outer parallelogram link, and the cage and damper assembly if needed. Go to your retailer to find SRAM Eagle Transmission replacement parts.

Do the T-Type chainring bash guards fit on any Eagle chainring?
No, the Eagle Transmission bash guard only fits on Eagle Transmission chainrings. If your Eagle Transmission Chainring
did not come with a Bash Guard as specified by the bike manufacturer or as an aftermarket kit, go to your retailer
to find SRAM Eagle Transmission Bash Guard parts. Eagle Transmission XX SL chainrings and spider based power meters are NOT compatible with Bash Guards.

When I shift Eagle Transmission repeatedly, the rear derailleur takes time to catch up and shift. What is going on?
With Eagle Transmission, you can shift under full load. Cassette shift mapping utilizes rigorously designed shift ramps on the cassette to ensure both up and downshifts happen at precisely the right time, for the smoothest shifting. Aligning the chain with these T-Type shift ramps delivers the best shifts. Do not wait for the shift, just keep pedalling under power!

Can I run Eagle Transmission on my E-MTB?
Yes, absolutely. Eagle Transmission was designed to shift under load, for E-MTB applications. Choose Eagle Transmission for the best performance on E-MTBs. It is not recommended to use Eagle Transmission XS-1299 T-Type Cassettes or XX SL Chains on E-MTBs. These parts are designed for the lightest weight applications and will wear out prematurely on E-MTB applications.

The Eagle Transmission chain looks like a 12-speed road chain, is it cross compatible with road 12- speed drivetrains?
No, the Eagle Transmission shares a silhouette of the SRAM AXS Road chains but has a unique design to achieve its performance.

The Eagle Transmission drivetrain doesn’t have High, Low, and B-gap screws to set up the derailleur. How is that possible?
Eagle Transmission is like no other drivetrain and takes advantage of a radically simplified set-up process due to the rear
derailleur direct-mounting to the frame, removing the variation in RD position from bike to bike. Follow the faster than
ever before installation method of Eagle Transmission for best-in-class performance.

Eagle AXS Transmission rear derailleur battery life seems shorter than with previous AXS rear derailleurs. Why is there a difference?
Eagle Transmission rear derailleurs have a higher cage damper force than previous Eagle AXS rear derailleurs and therefore require more force and energy to shift the Transmission into inboard gears. Also, the improved shift quality naturally makes riders shift more frequently per ride.

What is the Q-factor of the Pedal Assist Cranks?
All Pedal Assist E-MTB Cranks are designed to be Q174, note the output-Q is always depending on the spindle length of the motor, which varies from every supplier and even within supplier e.g., BOSCH Gen 4 vs. Gen 6. That is why we have different offsets in the cranks. The BOSCH offset is higher (shorter spindle) the crank arm is straighter and has less offset to work with the longer spindle. It would be more accurate to call out the crank offset, but for the rider the BOSCH vs. BROSE has more value. When paired with the motor platform called out in the part description, our E-MTB Pedal Assist Cranks are roughly 180mm, with variation due to the motor spindle.

What Q-factor is the ISIS Pedal Assist Crank based on?
Our ISIS variant (neither calling out BROSE or BOSCH) is based on the BOSCH offset and fits most other motors that feature an ISIS interface.

Can the ISIS E-MTB Pedal Assist Crank be used with the 3-bolt cap?
No, the ISIS cranks are not designed to be configured with the cap that visually covers the space between the crank and spider/chainring and are therefore not recommended to be used with BOSCH motors, to avoid the visual gap.

Does SRAM manufacture E-MTB spiders for my bike?
SRAM MTB does not manufacture spiders for E-MTBs, except for Specialized’s Mahle motor platforms. SRAM Road offers a BOSCH and Fazua spider.

Is there an Eagle Transmission crank with a narrow Q-factor?
There are narrower Q-factor crank available in the XX SL crank offering, while maintaining a 55mm chain line for Eagle Transmission. These are 168mm Q-factor and use the DUB SL spindle.
View attachment 109734
The online tool (SRAM eTap AXS Bike Finder) is only for eTAP equipment. And it reports that no MTB is UDH compatible.

jsharpe

May 15, 2019
USA
pretty simple to check. If the bolt in the drive side rear seatstay pivot (4 bar) has a fulll size bolt head with a torque setting printed on it, the hanger is UDH.

1679779292056.png

Since my 2020 Levo does not look like the above I guess I can stop trying to rationalize why I need to upgrade.

RustyIron

Jun 5, 2021
La Habra, California
Seriously though. Global economic crisis and $500 NZ to swap a chain. It's an April fools right?

Yeah, that's just stupid. The price of the whole group set doesn't seem too out of line when building a new bike, but the cost of the chain makes it untenable. It's like printer manufacturers: They nearly give away the printers, but they screw you on the cost of the ink.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles