SRAM's new 2023 Drivetrain allows full power shifts

Wilbur

Dec 12, 2022
New Zealand
It's actually a myth that the hanger is designed to protect your derailleur. It was initially designed to protect your frame, so if something catches your derailleur, yes it would wreck the derailleur, but the hanger would bend before your frame. Once upon a time the hanger was a part of your frame. When aluminium bikes started appearing, straightening an aluminium section in not a good ideas due to the way aluminium fatigues, so a bolt on failure point was created.
Just look at most hangers, they are way thicker than the parts on a derailleur, the derailleur is definitely going to break first.
Will the new direct mount damage your frame? Possibly not but time will tell. The derailleur cage (which is the part that usually gets caught up on objects) will still bend before anything else.
Especially UDH - they are usually intact after the derailleur has been torn in two.

Still think Zerode are on the right path...

irie

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK
Well thought out video - I agree with every point he made!
There is no way I would spend so much money on a drivetrain.
Also agree.

When I first saw the SRAM promotion video about sticking something though a jockey wheel hole but it still keeps turning my immediate thought was that the obvious thing would be to simply have no holes!

Removing the sacrificial part (the hanger) makes the frame the sacrificial part. Mistake.

Last edited:

head

Jul 2, 2020
Slovakia
Removing the sacrificial part (the hanger) makes the frame the sacrificial part. Mistake.

The new derailleur is not attached to the frame but to the axle. Yes, the derailleur touches the frame, but it doesn't matter.

You are going to destroy the derailleur but not the frame. If you are going to destroy the axle, too, then there is no way the hanger would protect the frame.

Also, watch the Fanatik video (I believe it was listed above). They broke the derailleur but not the frame. They tested "classic" ASX and the new ASX derailleurs.

Last edited:

irie

Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK
The new derailer is not attached to the frame but to the axle. Yes, the derailer touches the frame, but it doesn't matter.

You are going to destroy the derailer but not the frame. If you are going to destroy the axle, too, then there is no way the hanger would protect the frame.

Also, watch the Fanatik video (I believe it was listed above). They broke the derailer but not the frame. They tested "classic" ASX and the new ASX derailers.
The derailleur is clamped directly onto the frame.

20230322_100050.jpg

head

Jul 2, 2020
Slovakia
I'll just quote myself here:
Yes, the derailer touches the frame, but it doesn't matter.

Also, I believe that this has been in development for years, and I trust that the SRAM engineers have considered the potential frame damage. On the other hand, there is a random YouTuber who saw a few pictures and jumped to conclusions.

Stoffel

Jun 16, 2021
Cotswolds UK
Am I missing something here?

I thought the point of a derailleur hanger was to protect the frame, it and the derailleur are supposed to bend before the frame does.

Now there is no hanger and the derailleur is super tough. Have we all been using hangers for no reason?!

head

Jul 2, 2020
Slovakia
I thought the point of a derailleur hanger was to protect the frame, it and the derailleur are supposed to bend before the frame does.

Yes, that's the point of the hanger because the derailleur is mounted to the frame (through the hanger).

Now there is no hanger and the derailleur is super tough. Have we all been using hangers for no reason?!

No. This is a new design, and the derailleur is not mounted to the frame but to the axle.

Last edited:

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
I'm willing to bet that some frames have also been damaged by derailleur hangers too in crashes.

The new mech is also supported by the wheel axle.

The good news is that people can still run hangers with the old mech if they have concerns over using the new one!!

Stoffel

Jun 16, 2021
Cotswolds UK
I’m not 100% convinced, but it doesn’t matter anyway because there’s no way I’d pay £2k for a drivetrain, especially on an ebike.
Maybe if I was an elite athlete who needs to shave time off their run by shifting under power.
I’d rather use the cheapest AXS derailleur on a cheap cassette because the weight doesn’t really matter to me on an ebike and I can resist the urge to shift under power!

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
The derailleur is clamped directly onto the frame.

View attachment 109770
Sort of....

The theory is that the wheel axle stiffens the whole structure (rear triangle, axle, derailleur) up which should mean that you'd need to put enough force to bend the axle through the system before the frame would break, but then in that case you'd expect the derailleur itself to break before the axle bends.

If you remove the axle ,and then put a side load on the derailleur then I think you could break the frame, but thats not a state you would ride the bike in, but may be worth considering when transporting the bike with the axle removed.

I think there is still the possibility of the derailleur rotating clockwise round the axle and smashing into the seat stay though,but this happens today with the udh anyway - see many Trek rail seatstay failures.

Paulquattro

E*POWAH Master
May 7, 2020
The Darkside
£1800 though.. usually like to get kissed before I get fucked :p
Couldn't have put it better (y)
Crazy money to cover in mud and crap on an emtb and for very little gain pound for pound as far as i can see
Its seems like a pet project that the consumer has to pay for and at the end of the day theres only so much you can do with old technology as the derailleur system is
Its definitely for those with bottomless pockets.

Bring out something revolutionary Sram and stop trying to modify something that isn't going to get much better .

B1rdie

Subscriber
Feb 14, 2019
Brazil
To me, this sounds like another marketing Best Show from sram. The right words would be “a drive train that may survive power shifts” …
They’d better develop integrated eletronics with the motor manufacturers to allow the sistem to manage power delivery during shifting.
Something like the automobile industry made decades ago to create automatic cars, instead of developing drivetrains heavy enough to sustain drivers mistakes.
Anyway, I loved to see how people praised Rob’s youtube video! Rally nice job, man!

Haveland

Apr 21, 2022
New Brunswick, Canada
Perfect timing. I was getting ready for a new Turbo Levo build and was thinking about going AXS this might make my decision easier.

My question is, does it use the same battery as the dropper still?

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
It's definitely interesting and brings some new variations/options to what we already have. I guess like everything in the bike world, it won't be for everyone !

Arguably the axle as it is takes a large proportion of the forces placed though a traditional hanger, but for many of those "unfortunate" moments, the hanger can give and avoid placing unnecessary forces through the axle/triangle.

The problem is the "random" factors of impacts. The majority of frame/mech/triangle damaged you see is from freak occurrences where design can't provide a solution to every possible problem.

The UDH itself has already caused several issues on bikes where it's not bent/broken or has rotated "clockwise" as @Mteam said or like my example earlier in the thread.

The new system is effectively the existing UDH on the inside with an outer hanger all sandwiched together with the axle and the receiver on the outside forming a considerably stronger structure with ZERO give in the design.

Yes, you're less likely to have a mech fail with this system, but with anything there's a trade off and in this case there's an increased chance of failure elsewhere - the energy has to go somewhere !

A couple of Rail related UDH fail treads, just for examples - a lot with clockwise rotation issues :

For anyone who can't be bothered reading those, a picture of one example :

1679483576569.png

With enough force, it's pretty easy to imagine this section tearing out :

1679483678679.png

If this can happen to an aluminium mech :

1679483708562.png

The technology side is undeniably quite cool though with the self configuring platter, knowing the cassette rotation position, no screws to mess about with, smoother shifting..

spicker

May 2, 2022
Newfoundland, Canada
I want to see someone make the sacrifice and run a branch through the chain and see what kind of damage occurs. This completely shredded my GX mech and chain on my Turbo Levo and left some nice battle scars on my aluminum frame.

I wasn't even going fast, a slow u-turn that sucked in a spruce sapling. But the torque from the motor just pulled it through and destroyed it. I imagine on an analogue bike you would notice this was happening before you caused too much damage.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
As the cassette, except for 7th gear, has all it's teeth configured narrow/wide and then therefore an even number of teeth for each gear. What happens if you wear one of the smaller cogs and have a chain slip ? Presumably, that would throw the whole thing out (assuming it slipped to narrow on wide) and you'd have to manually re-align it and avoid the slipping gear until you'd changed it - unless that narrow on wide just tore all the teeth off as chain wrap around would be longer not sitting in the teeth.

Preventative maintenance would be more important with this system, I wonder if it maps time/distance (it knows cassette rotations) spent in specific gears and gives wear advisories in the app ?

irie

Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK
Couldn't have put it better (y)
Crazy money to cover in mud and crap on an emtb and for very little gain pound for pound as far as i can see
Its seems like a pet project that the consumer has to pay for and at the end of the day theres only so much you can do with old technology as the derailleur system is
Its definitely for those with bottomless pockets.

Bring out something revolutionary Sram and stop trying to modify something that isn't going to get much better .
The real problem is the fragile sh*t hanging down off the rear of mountain bikes. Get rid of the rear derailleur inherited from flat surface road bikes ...

Sander23

Aug 28, 2020
Belgium
As the cassette, except for 7th gear, has all it's teeth configured narrow/wide and then therefore an even number of teeth for each gear. What happens if you wear one of the smaller cogs and have a chain slip ? Presumably, that would throw the whole thing out (assuming it slipped to narrow on wide) and you'd have to manually re-align it and avoid the slipping gear until you'd changed it - unless that narrow on wide just tore all the teeth off as chain wrap around would be longer not sitting in the teeth.

Preventative maintenance would be more important with this system, I wonder if it maps time/distance (it knows cassette rotations) spent in specific gears and gives wear advisories in the app ?
That's the main reason I use an xt of slx over a xo1 or xx1 cassette with my gx axs derailleur.
I regularly trash the 10-11 t cogs (it's deristriced and turbo mode doesn't do good for it) and the sram cassettes are to pricey for when I could possibly destroy those small cogs.

I can't imagine doing that to a 700 euro cassette. Even if it would drop 50% in price.
Even if they would hold on to these prices and let's say they would make a gx version for half the price of their xx eagle cassette. That would still be in the xo1 -xx1 price range

maynard

And then if the chain gets worn, that about 150-180 euros for 1 chain thats absurd.

Can renew my whole drive train with an slx/xt casette chain, chainring combo for that price
180 euros . That's like 400$ Australian . Omg probably 500 in new Zealand 🇳🇿. No thanks 😳 my dad will probably buy it . He spends lots on drivetrains . Wheels etc .

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles