Trek Rail - Carbon Frame Crash Damage

Apr 27, 2022
UK
I suffered a minor disaster this weekend whilst riding up at my local trail centre in Hamsterley Forest. I manged to snag a branch whilst descending and it got pulled up into the derailleur and through the rear wheel. I stopped as quickly as I could but the damage was already done, half a dozen bent spokes, the chain twisted over on itself in two places and trapped behind the cassette (can't help thinking a dork disk would have prevented that!) and the derailleur half exploded and embedded into the carbon seat stay. The hanger did not give way, it rotated in the dropout, allowing the mech to come up over the cassette. Shit happens I suppose but the bike is still new and I'm super disappointed that I have manged to inflict this much damage on it so early into ownership.

I have read somewhere online that Trek Rails have a particular problem with the mech rotating in the drop outs, has anyone else suffered similar damage? I'm wondering if this is reason enough to inquire about a warranty claim.

I'm also looking into options for repairing or replacing the damaged seat stay, what do you guys think is the best course of action? (this is my first carbon frame bike!). I have added some pictures of the damage.

Lastly, replacement mech, like for like replacement (X01) or should I go for the GX wireless upgrade kit?

PXL_20220718_134931591.jpg

PXL_20220718_134950099.jpg

PXL_20220718_134846632.jpg

PXL_20220718_134854922.jpg

RustyIron

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Jun 5, 2021
La Habra, California
Yikes. What a bummer.
The bad news is that damage doesn't look repairable.
The good news is that the bike is new, so maybe Trek will warranty it for you.
At least they should give you a good deal on a replacement.

Regarding a new derailleur, if you're at all considering the AXS, now is the time to do it. I slapped on an AXS GX after running a mechanical X01, and I'm content with he decision. It's not a live-changing upgrade, but it's such an improvement that I'll never go back to the cable-operated.

Another One

Feb 28, 2022
London / Wakefield
Yikes. What a bummer.
The bad news is that damage doesn't look repairable.
The good news is that the bike is new, so maybe Trek will warranty it for you.
At least they should give you a good deal on a replacement.

Regarding a new derailleur, if you're at all considering the AXS, now is the time to do it. I slapped on an AXS GX after running a mechanical X01, and I'm content with he decision. It's not a live-changing upgrade, but it's such an improvement that I'll never go back to the cable-operated.
I agree about the GX AXS upgrade but would certainly not purchase anything until claim is resolved.

Apr 27, 2022
UK
I had to break the mech hanger myself in order to extricate the wreckage out from the wheel. Will Trek believe me if I tell them that, who knows? It's worth a try I suppose. I think a crash damage discount on any replacement parts might be the best I can hope for, although, according to Trek's website wheels can be warranty repaired for any kind of crash damage within the first two years so I may get the wheel rebuilt for free at least. I will get in touch with Trek tomorrow.

JP-NZ

E*POWAH Elite
Feb 17, 2022
Christchurch - New Zealand
What Rail model and year was this 9.8 or 9.9?

Its not a manufacturing fault but I believe they will help with the crash replacement frame warranty (I believe discount is around 60%+) Wheels if Carbon will have crash replacement as well depending on what they class as cause.

Apr 27, 2022
UK
What Rail model and year was this 9.8 or 9.9?

Its not a manufacturing fault but I believe they will help with the crash replacement frame warranty (I believe discount is around 60%+) Wheels if Carbon will have crash replacement as well depending on what they class as cause.
It's a 9.9, brand new last November. I saved ages to buy it!

Apr 27, 2022
UK
Man sorry to hear that, absolutely gutting on the first decent ride. Hopefully Trek can help you out (y)
I hope so too, I have sent off an account of what happened to the bike shop I bought the bike from, hopefully Trek will be able to assist. I am so gutted. I was out on my normal bike tonight, enjoyed it but I missed the extra fun factor of riding the ebike!

chrismechmaster

Subscriber
Dec 7, 2020
Newbury
I suffered a minor disaster this weekend whilst riding up at my local trail centre in Hamsterley Forest. I manged to snag a branch whilst descending and it got pulled up into the derailleur and through the rear wheel. I stopped as quickly as I could but the damage was already done, half a dozen bent spokes, the chain twisted over on itself in two places and trapped behind the cassette (can't help thinking a dork disk would have prevented that!) and the derailleur half exploded and embedded into the carbon seat stay. The hanger did not give way, it rotated in the dropout, allowing the mech to come up over the cassette. Shit happens I suppose but the bike is still new and I'm super disappointed that I have manged to inflict this much damage on it so early into ownership.

I have read somewhere online that Trek Rails have a particular problem with the mech rotating in the drop outs, has anyone else suffered similar damage? I'm wondering if this is reason enough to inquire about a warranty claim.

I'm also looking into options for repairing or replacing the damaged seat stay, what do you guys think is the best course of action? (this is my first carbon frame bike!). I have added some pictures of the damage.

Lastly, replacement mech, like for like replacement (X01) or should I go for the GX wireless upgrade kit?

View attachment 92710

View attachment 92711

View attachment 92712

View attachment 92713
Hi

yes this similar thing happened to me I brought a rail 9.9 x01 and the derailleur moved and damage the seat stay carbon arm
Not as bad as your but still churned the carbon up
I had only owned the bike for 2 days and it was first ride

trek replaced the seat stay and hanger warranty

Kiteboy

Mar 30, 2022
USA
I work with carbon and epoxy and repair my own water sports equipment, (kite board, foil boards, windsurf boards, etc...) I also have two carbon frame e-bikes and would feel comfortable repairing them. This damage however is in a bad spot and pretty severe. I would not attempt to repair.

Apr 27, 2022
UK
I work with carbon and epoxy and repair my own water sports equipment, (kite board, foil boards, windsurf boards, etc...) I also have two carbon frame e-bikes and would feel comfortable repairing them. This damage however is in a bad spot and pretty severe. I would not attempt to repair.
Thanks for the advice!

Spin

Dec 24, 2021
Australia
You've just seen how easy it is for a simple stick to cause a lot of damage. I hope you get a good deal from Trek on the seatstay ! That said , I'd be reluctant to fit an even more expensive derailleur as the replacement o_O

I had pretty much the exact same incident happen a few months ago , but on an alloy frame and older ten speed derailleur.
Replacement der wasn't a huge cost , I had some spare spokes and a hanger. The frame was fine aside from a small gouge. All up , the worst part of the experience was the 5km walk back to the car !
Yep , I'm one of those anti carbon guys 😁

E-MAD MALC

Subscriber
Nov 16, 2021
EAST SUSSEX
Would the outcome be much the same if the damage inflickted on that chain stay would have been as severe if it was ali ?
Never really been in a situation like this myself

Apr 27, 2022
UK
Would the outcome be much the same if the damage inflickted on that chain stay would have been as severe if it was ali ?
Never really been in a situation like this myself
I thought about that too, and wondered if I should have bought the aluminium frame model. my normal bike is aluminium and it does seem to be more robust.

Kiteboy

Mar 30, 2022
USA
I used to live on Maui and ride the Makawao Forest. It's a great ride and I highly recommend it if you visit the island and have your bike shoes with you. There is a bike rental shop in Makawao that rents real mtbs and provides maps to the trail. It is however, a very steep climb to get to the top but a very satisfying flow trail ride down.

Anyway...
Once, at the very top and chomping at the bit for the epic downhill ride, I ran over some small branches and one flipped up and did this to my bike. (Aluminum frame) It mangled my XTR derailleur and I had to shorten a new chain to get back to the trail head. All that F*&king work for nothing!

Lesson learned: Avoid running over small branches and large twigs. It seems harmless at the time but can get expensive.

Apr 27, 2022
UK
There does seem to be an issue with derailleur hangers rotating. It's a common theme on forums and various You Tube channels, Trek should be taking note.

Apr 27, 2022
UK
Trek have offered me a discount on crash replacement parts and the shop I bought the bike from an additional loyal customer discount so I can't complain, but it's still an expensive accident!

Bomble

Subscriber
Nov 11, 2018
Yorkshire
Mine did exactly the same but Trek wouldn’t warranty it. The damage wasn’t as bad as your so I just rode it and it was fine.
Chainring ended up eating the chainstay anyway😀

ColP

Aug 2, 2022
Wirral
Just heard back from the bike shop (2 weeks after registering the claim). Trek have decided that my version of events couldn’t happen and that I actually crashed. They’ve offered 20% off frame parts. I asked to be able to deal with them directly but they won’t.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles