Specialized Mission Control App v2.x Now Available

Geoff

Aug 21, 2018
Australia
There was no yellow sticker. Bike is from Bike Scene, Guisborough - a Specialized dealer.

It really does seem to be asking for a bluetooth pairaing code - see pic
From Mission Control 2.0 - Frequently Asked Questions

Where Can I Find My Pairing Code?
Not all bikes require a pairing code. If the app prompts you to enter this 6-digit code - it can be found both on the bike "Peel me" label (find "BLE" followed by 6 numbers) AND underneath the bike power button/display on the top-tube. To remove the display and find your code, simply undo the single T10 Torx bolt and gently pull the display upwards and towards the front wheel - the 6 digit code will be visible on a white sticker on the side of your display.

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
No sign of it. I'll contact the dealer tomorrow. Is that the same pairing message that you got?
Yes. Each bike has a pin code for security (so only you can access it and change the settings etc). It’s on the massive yellow sticker on the side of the frame, like really obvious so you can miss it. Your dealer must’ve taken it off!

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
From Mission Control 2.0 - Frequently Asked Questions

Where Can I Find My Pairing Code?
Not all bikes require a pairing code. If the app prompts you to enter this 6-digit code - it can be found both on the bike "Peel me" label (find "BLE" followed by 6 numbers) AND underneath the bike power button/display on the top-tube. To remove the display and find your code, simply undo the single T10 Torx bolt and gently pull the display upwards and towards the front wheel - the 6 digit code will be visible on a white sticker on the side of your display.
Thanks, that’s really useful to know ?

Al Boneta

Dark Rider
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
California
@Al Boneta Do you know if the code is printed anywhere else?
Some bikes have the serial number model number sticker that has this code directly applied to the frame, while others have it applied to the clear plastic wrap on the downtube. It says to stick this inside the owner’s manual. We stick it to the frame if it isn’t alread on there because manuals have a habit of not leaving with the exact bike they came with.
I don’t know if there is any other way of getting the code

outerlimits

E*POWAH BOSS
Founding Member
Feb 3, 2018
Australia
It’s a little out of range don’t you think?
Did you give it a try ? Lol
More so if anyone he knows was viewing the forum, and thought, hehe, now I can screw with his settings. But any random can on any pre 2019 bike if they are within range ect so meh. It’s good Spesh has added the code.

Decca

Sep 30, 2018
Guisborough
I’d remove that pic. It’s like the security code for your bike so people can’t connect to it and screw with your settings.

He he - I doubt that would happen! I had my 2016 Levo for two years and never encountered another owner out in the wild, only in my LBS. Whilst there with my bike, no one was so devilish that they whipped out their phone, sauntered over to my bike in a furtive manner, turned it on without me noticing and proceeded to fiddle about with my settings!

Pic removed, however!

On another matter, it seems like the Garmin IQ app does not play happily with the 2019 Levos. After enabling the fake channel to cadence, as I had with the 2016 bike, no data is displayed in the IQ Turbo Levo field.

Last edited:

Norange

Jul 29, 2018
Wiltshire
If I were to guess based on my own experience, I would say:

Some questions require research and a fair company policy to be developed. Variable motor noise will definitely be one of those, so you can't expect a company rep to comment immediately.

We're in launch phase. Please appreciate that this is a pretty manic time for support, and it's a good thing that you can get a formal response on here. Don't chase them away!

Kind of linked to the above, but I'd imagine Spesh rider care covers quite a lot of responsibilities. There will be hundreds of media outlets to monitor just as one part of that teams role. Constant forum monitoring probably isn't possible.

Kiwi in Wales

Short cranks rule!🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 24, 2018
Carmarthen, Wales
If I were to guess based on my own experience, I would say:

Some questions require research and a fair company policy to be developed. Variable motor noise will definitely be one of those, so you can't expect a company rep to comment immediately.

We're in launch phase. Please appreciate that this is a pretty manic time for support, and it's a good thing that you can get a formal response on here. Don't chase them away!

Kind of linked to the above, but I'd imagine Spesh rider care covers quite a lot of responsibilities. There will be hundreds of media outlets to monitor just as one part of that teams role. Constant forum monitoring probably isn't possible.

Wow, interesting post.... who is chasing who away? Formal response? Sorry? What formal response? I haven’t had a response and that is why I am chasing for one.
I have asked what I feel is a very important question, a simple ‘can we get back to you soon on this one’ response from them as an ‘acknowledgement’ to my question is all I am after at the moment. However, being ignored since Sunday is NOT what I expect.

It is clear that they were on this site today as they have responded to a few questions so seeing their responses to other queries and ignoring not only my questions but other forum members questions is to me, ‘not good enough’ especially when they are calling themselves ‘Specialized Rider Care’

Like I said above, all I am after at the moment is an acknowledgement that they have seen my question and a lead time on when they will try to respond. I don’t think that is an unreasonable request.

outerlimits

E*POWAH BOSS
Founding Member
Feb 3, 2018
Australia
Wow, interesting post.... who is chasing who away? Formal response? Sorry? What formal response? I haven’t had a response and that is why I am chasing for one.
I have asked what I feel is a very important question, a simple ‘can we get back to you soon on this one’ response from them as an ‘acknowledgement’ to my question is all I am after at the moment. However, being ignored since Sunday is NOT what I expect.

It is clear that they were on this site today as they have responded to a few questions so seeing their responses to other queries and ignoring not only my questions but other forum members questions is to me, ‘not good enough’ especially when they are calling themselves ‘Specialized Rider Care’

Like I said above, all I am after at the moment is an acknowledgement that they have seen my question and a lead time on when they will try to respond. I don’t think that is an unreasonable request.
Proberly better to email them, to ask the hard questions. As stated above, they have probs got a lot on their plate at the moment, and only skim read the forum on occasions.
If, I get an answer on here, bonus. If they don’t answer on here, then i’ll email them direct. Which reminds me to shoot off a email today to ask about my rear wheel bearings. There are better ways to communicate with them other than here. Hopefully they can give you some resolve.

Kiwi in Wales

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 24, 2018
Carmarthen, Wales
Proberly better to email them, to ask the hard questions. As stated above, they have probs got a lot on their plate at the moment, and only skim read the forum on occasions.
If, I get an answer on here, bonus. If they don’t answer on here, then i’ll email them direct. Which reminds me to shoot off a email today to ask about my rear wheel bearings. There are better ways to communicate with them other than here. Hopefully they can give you some resolve.
Thanks for the advice but I am making a point here.
Why did they join the forum if they are only prepared to cherry pick who they respond to?
I called Specialized last week on this subject and their response was they were not aware of any noise issue ?

Norange

Jul 29, 2018
Wiltshire
Perhaps the chap has 10 minutes a day to skim read this forum and post a few responses? Let’s say he does that across a number of different forums, along with twitter, Facebook, and so on and so on. Please don’t berate him for not answering everything and all questions.

What I meant was that some people have had a formal response and that’s a good thing. I don’t imagine this forum is the official platform for Spesh tech support! As suggested above, a better route would be a dealer for stuff like motor noise, where they may get a technical notification if/when there is a resolution.

outerlimits

E*POWAH BOSS
Founding Member
Feb 3, 2018
Australia
Thanks for the advice but I am making a point here.
Why did they join the forum if they are only prepared to cherry pick who they respond to?
I called Specialized last week on this subject and their response was they were not aware of any noise issue ?
Probs better to take it to a dealer, and have the noise issue logged at very least. That way, Spesh would be made aware of it and you will have the backing of the dealer. Hopefully then you could get some sort of warranty resolve.
I can make my 2018 noisey by overpowering the motor with the torque and cadence of my pedal. Sort of like over running the engine.
Not saying your situation is the same.
Hope you find a solution.

More than one way to skin a cat. Some methods are better than others.

At least Spesh are on here, giving half a shit . But shutting takes time and effort, which they may be short of at the moment

Sophie777

Jul 3, 2018
Canada
I have emailed them (Specialized) in the past on other questions/issues - unlike Scott, Giant - I have never received an email reply from Specialized.

outerlimits

E*POWAH BOSS
Founding Member
Feb 3, 2018
Australia
Emailed them last night about wheel bearings that the shop told me were not covered under warranty.
The response I got today

1A9FD7F3-0D5D-4519-8525-9733277817F8.png

Kiwi in Wales

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 24, 2018
Carmarthen, Wales
Perhaps the chap has 10 minutes a day to skim read this forum and post a few responses? Let’s say he does that across a number of different forums, along with twitter, Facebook, and so on and so on. Please don’t berate him for not answering everything and all questions.

What I meant was that some people have had a formal response and that’s a good thing. I don’t imagine this forum is the official platform for Spesh tech support! As suggested above, a better route would be a dealer for stuff like motor noise, where they may get a technical notification if/when there is a resolution.

Please don’t berate him for not answering questions?
That is his job.....Title......Specialized Rider Care. If he is skimming through email, sorry, in my view, he is not doing his job properly.
Great! Some people have had a formal response.
I haven’t which is why I am chasing for an acknowledgement and a timeline for a response. I do not think that is an unreasonable request.
I know this isn’t an official platform. I have tried the official platform via email and guess what? No response. I called them last week and they said they were not aware of a problem.

Fair enough,
We are all different and have different expectations.
I expect a response after 5 days, even if it is just a ‘we will get back to soon’. You obviously do not.
Let’s leave it there and agree to disagree on this subject.

Specialized Rider Care

Official Specialized
Subscriber
Official Specialized
Jul 12, 2018
It seems like Specialized customer care is very selective answering questions - I’m yet to receive a good explanation as to why I now cannot change wheel size on the bike that is officially sold as a dual wheel size bike?

Thanks for the question Karsten and sorry for the delay. Sometimes it takes a while to find the right answer.

Quite a few of you have specifically asked why we removed wheel circumference adjustment from our new Mission Control app - this was directly in response to advice from our legal team based on European eBike safety standard EN 15194:2017. They explained that we needed to close a door whereby 3rd party apps were bypassing local speed limits via reducing wheel circumference further than we designed or intended. We recognise that this feature removal has not been popular with riders that genuinely need to adjust wheel circumference – for example those running two different sets of wheels – however on this particular issue we were asked to respond quickly and firmly. We also understand that some riders wish to circumvent local speed limits, however as a manufacturer we need to ensure full legal compliance and rider safety. In the long-run, we believe that it is vital to invest in the reputation of eBikes (and eBike riders) to create a future where greater understanding is fostered and more eBike-friendly trails are opened.

In the coming weeks we will adapt our retailer software to enable them to adjust wheel circumference at bike set-up for you (please note only real world scenarios will be possible). For the longer term we will continue to monitor this issue – if there is a simple way for us to support multiple wheel sizes through our app (that does not open a door for others to exploit) then we will absolutely consider adding this.

khorn

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Jul 19, 2018
Denmark
Well, at least thanks for taking the time to provide me with an answer. I also know about “Don’t kill the messenger” but when that is said I cannot accept your explanation. The Specialized bike I bought was/is still sold as a dual wheel size bike, 27.5” and 29”, now you are telling me that I have to drive more than 300 km when I want to change wheel size? - That is the trip to my specialized dealer. I find it close to False Marketing to advertise this feature and then out of the blue simply remove this feature!!

You are now forcing me to use 3. party apps to make sure that I have a speed limit of 25 kph.
Those who are in the same situation as me will then have the dealer setting it to 27.5” and go home and put 29” wheels on, hereby gaining a few kph extra before cutting out - what is the difference, you could simply create 2 buttons In MC - A button for each wheel size.

Btw you are not preventing the bike from being de restricted if that is what people want and you will never be able to do that, this is a battle you cannot win.

Karsten

ccrdave

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
uk
I understand your words here but surley the responsibility to remove the restriction is down to the user not the manufacturer, as long as the manuacturer complies with the law at the point of sale your responisbility is ended.
As I am sure you know there are other ways to deristrict an ebike other than interefing with the software/firmware, and under europen law it is not illegal to sell these mechanical devices just illegal to use them unless on privatly owned land or with the landowners permission.
I dont see any difference between sellers providing destriction mechanical devices and Specialized selling ebikes with the knowledge that the restriction can be removed or overcome.
to me neither specialized or the mechanical device sellers are breaking european law.
Of course I cannot speak for the rest of the world But having to return to the dealer every time you want to run a different wheel size is not realistic, I swop between 27.5 and 29 depending on ride conditions and weather conditions am I to go to my dealer on a potential daily basis?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles