Mission Control iOS App 1.2.0 featuring Infinite Tune - Now Available

npatrix

May 22, 2018
Joburg, South Africa
I went to fetch my new turbo levo today (that is another story), but the guys forgot to update the firmware... as I am a bit early adopter, I wanted the new firmware, I like to believe that there are more pros then cons, so I've spent some time with the tech and went through all the process, we've spoke about the bike, the lack of training they receive from Spez, etc... but the interesting part was that he showed me how the diagnostic tool works and all the information it records, literally everything, even the if the bike is being managed by mission control or any 3rd party app, changes on the wheel size, anything that communicates with the motor, all rides will be logged.
He showed me this in a 2017 Levo with a burned motor, he told me the cause, but I don't want to speculate because is his version... so each one should judge what to do or not, but bear in mind that Spez has a BIG BROTHER on the bike and whatever we decide to do outside their scope, they will know and will decide if warranty was void or not!

ccrdave

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
uk
I went to fetch my new turbo levo today (that is another story), but the guys forgot to update the firmware... as I am a bit early adopter, I wanted the new firmware, I like to believe that there are more pros then cons, so I've spent some time with the tech and went through all the process, we've spoke about the bike, the lack of training they receive from Spez, etc... but the interesting part was that he showed me how the diagnostic tool works and all the information it records, literally everything, even the if the bike is being managed by mission control or any 3rd party app, changes on the wheel size, anything that communicates with the motor, all rides will be logged.
He showed me this in a 2017 Levo with a burned motor, he told me the cause, but I don't want to speculate because is his version... so each one should judge what to do or not, but bear in mind that Spez has a BIG BROTHER on the bike and whatever we decide to do outside their scope, they will know and will decide if warranty was void or not!
wow now thats very interesting as I have had exactly the same conversation with my local spesh dealer not half an hour ago and he said all they can see is the diagnostic report from mission control which just shows any errors in battery and motor as far as he know it doesnt store anything else and when you hook the battery up to the tool it just reads current firmware, charge cycles motor type and motor firmware. I specifically asked him if it stored app settings and he said no he can just see the current one set.
I wonder if they have different systems for different countries for liability reasons!!

npatrix

May 22, 2018
Joburg, South Africa
wow now thats very interesting as I have had exactly the same conversation with my local spesh dealer not half an hour ago and he said all they can see is the diagnostic report from mission control which just shows any errors in battery and motor as far as he know it doesnt store anything else and when you hook the battery up to the tool it just reads current firmware, charge cycles motor type and motor firmware. I specifically asked him if it stored app settings and he said no he can just see the current one set.
I wonder if they have different systems for different countries for liability reasons!!
He showed me in their desktop computer, in a kind of Spez intranet (same interface they use for the updates) and with the diagnostic tool cables connected to the Bike, on reality was too much information to absorb so I just saw the strange spikes on power on time frame, and different patterns definitely after certain period, was clear that something went very wrong on the last week... as far as I know might have been just a defect despite they say different. we should try to get more insight from people that actually used the system and have access to Spez dealership portal.

kcarbon

Founding Member
Feb 3, 2018
australia
The girls at LBS, said they will load new firmware to my battery's next week. she rides a 2018 expert. & has just completed Spec... training so going to service my forks. will be interesting to see what she say's about my chain.
but from lot of experience with motor bikes and racing them. there is a limit different size chains can take. I read somewhere my bike has a 100kg rider recommended weight limit.
weight & Torque force all play a part. with chain wear & tear. I'm 75kg
I don't use 100% motor 100%turbo often . I don't measure chain stretch like others here. but I do check how chain sits on the Sproket & check the sprockets for wear. checked out fine by me. and the service guy said looked fine to him.
so will see what the girl thats fresh from update training say's when she services it next week.
I been more than happy & only changed two things both done for me by LBS the 3.0" low pressure tyres & the 36 tooth alloy crank Sproket love both. love the bike.

Cyclejunkie

Founding Member
Mar 27, 2018
Deal Kent
CyclesUk maidestone kent branch did my battery firmware up-date today & the lastest motor update which is deffo out now....great bunch of lads I then headed to Bedgebury Forest for a blast....same settings ECO 15% SPORT 55% TURBO 100% left the other settings at default did two rides on the Red Routes totaling 35km with 670meters of climbing....had 50% battery when I left to come home bike felt really good to be honest no different than before the up-date I’m really pleased I took the plunge

Mountie

Apr 29, 2018
Canada
CyclesUk maidestone kent branch did my battery firmware up-date today & the lastest motor update which is deffo out now....great bunch of lads I then headed to Bedgebury Forest for a blast....same settings ECO 15% SPORT 55% TURBO 100% left the other settings at default did two rides on the Red Routes totaling 35km with 670meters of climbing....had 50% battery when I left to come home bike felt really good to be honest no different than before the up-date I’m really pleased I took the plunge
Hi what motor software are you running now?

kcarbon

Founding Member
Feb 3, 2018
australia
How are the shop going to fine tune your forks? Do they go out for a ride with you and make changes on thr fly?

Doomanic, when I got the bike new, fork setting was that hard, was bouncing down rough steep hill's so was forced to go slow. was in a group of fast riders. everyone passed me down hill. told shop . they reset. I went back to the same hill, still no improvement. took 10psi air out. still hard. kept this up till I could go fast down that rough hill, no braking needed I can take corners fast as raced motor bikes ( this is easy ). then lbs girls told me they are going to do more update training and will service my forks. so hope more ride quality improvement as not up to same standard as a motor bike. felt more like a pogo stick. so they said will update firmware in battery, service bike and forks. they test ride but not sure how they test forks, probably use me. when I go back if not happy they always try to solve problem, and listen to what I tell them. we have come a long way, improving my set up this way. so hopefully servicing forks is another positive move.
as I said before, loving the Levo.

Cyclejunkie

Founding Member
Mar 27, 2018
Deal Kent
I’ll check tomorrow & let you know out for a few beers now
Here’s my settings for anyone’s interest

48E27F08-C59B-48B8-8861-14F4EE3CF9D7.png

3127FE40-BF5C-4562-A007-5E0CA125CBE0.png

36A2A2D7-BA58-4139-BE34-38A75052C378.png

8AF9C0B0-D839-40DC-A498-48188196F5AA.png

npatrix

May 22, 2018
Joburg, South Africa
I think what Specialized is doing is very likely the best decision for the company, their image and their demographic.

Riders currently have a "marmite" relationship with ebikes in general and I think one of the biggest issues with them is that fat, lazy riders can literally zoom up and blast passes even the fittest riders on the steepest climbs.

I think Expert / Comp / Pro and Prosumer riders who love the burn, keeping no fit, working out etc... Serious riders, don't want the bike to take away all the work for them, and as they are Specializeds targeted demographic, that's who Specialized listen to.

Having a 60yo woman be able to climb faster than a 17yo for young hardcore mountain biker up a 10% 400m gradient is not something the serious mountain bike community appreciate, so the bike is evolving to suit the market for which it was intended.

For those like me, I'm older, injured, wanted to recapture my youth this is an unwelcome set of changes. I bought the bike to exactly the things it allows me todo, that they are now removing from it.

The new mission control does indeed emulate the Zeus bug, but if you enjoy the Blevo Zues settings etc the this new 23FW update IS FOR YOU!

The Zeus bug essentially delivers power more efficiently, smoother and more controlled but it's based on X Out = X Out.

The entire point of the Blevo settings (there is a PDF available online) was to remove the feeling of being on an ebike and they categorically state that they themselves despise the instant power that is delivered by the bike as soon as you touch the pedals.

They say that this feeling, when you just touch the pedals get get 540w of power pushing you is unnatural. Therefore they smooth it out and now you get back why you put it.

So if you enjoy the blevo Zeus settings, then you will absolutely love the new FW update. As the Zeus settings are based on the X In = X Out Methodology.

I prefer the currently X In = 540w Out methodology and here is why.

At the end of a climb when you are absolutely dying (if you are 54yo, perhaps a little over weight and had a previous operation on your back like me) and you can see the top, but you have NO MORE ENERGY to give. With the current X In = 540w (Race) Out you can literally just rest your feet on the pedals and bike actually "climbs" entirely by its self as it gives these butts of max power with race mode pushin it up the hill. It's like (sorry for this) fucking magic! :)

But the Zeus and 23FW REMOVE that capability as the less you put in (near the top) the less it gives. There for acting like a real bike. You wouldn't get up here on a non e bike and without good strong legs, you won't get up here on an ebike.

That puts the bike firmly in the category of acceptance and now, a 60yo woman with a hip replacement won't best a 17yo hardcore rider as she can't put the manual effort in required to get the engine to push her up the hill.

So what Specialized is doing is honerable. It's making the ebike a more bike / trail friendly beast and taming it to reward different fitness levels instead of just giving everyone full power and essentially gifting them a pass to climb whatever they wanted, effortlessly.

So in short here is what the facts tell us:

FW23 is aimed at:
Strong riders who enjoy a workout. Competition Riders, Pro Riders, Prosumer Riders, Expert Riders and those who love the burn and love to work out.

Those who felt ebikes were too easy.
Those who feel reward for climbing is earned.
Those who like X in = X Out
Those who don't want to be gifted a win.
Those who take riding seriously.

FW22 is aimed at:
Those who want the all of the above BUT have the ability to override it all by using 100/100/RACE and be gifted a win, gifted a climb, gifted an easy ride and essentially rescued when you can't make it up a climb.

For me I fall in to the latter. I'm firmly of the style that I need the assistance. Without it the bike isn't as useful to me.

So I think where Specialized is going with this is to make the bike more acceptable to both ebike riders and non ebike riders and garner acceptance in the professional and prosumer market.

Old Holligans like me, who really don't do this for the exercise (I do it for the fun/exploration/rush) and don't really enjoy the "get out what you put in put in" mentality (as it puts me back at a disadvantage) should probably have never bought a Specialized in the first place :) I'm not their target demographic but because this bike opened a door that allowed me to get back into doing something I previously slowed down on doing, and allowed me to keep up with the front runners and even beat them! I become a byproduct / side effect sale.

I don't think I was the intended market. But because of this incredible machine i was able to do things my body just wouldn't normally allow.

Now it seems they are rectifying that and making the bike calmer, more focused and refined and targeting the correct demographic.

I think ebikes will be more accepted when you see a rider have to get off an EBIKE and push because he can't put in anything more and the bike doesn't bail him out, where as fit manual or ebike riders will ride right passed him. They will feel vindicated that there additional fitness is now recognised again.

This is exactly what they are doing, trying to achieve and in all fairness to the business model is the right thing to do.

However the folk like me who were a side effect of a software choice, we get culled. Which is a shame as I think that could be a large market.

In my opinion (which could be wrong) I think you will sell more Ebikes to people like me (old riders, injured riders, previous riders, part time riders, occasional riders) than you will to professional riders who want to keep fit? If they want to keep fit they will likely keep riding a manual or "some" will buy a second ebike (but not all) and while they may be more accommodating and accepting of ebikes moving forward, will they actually buy them? I don't see why (as many of them) would?

Having a software "OPTION" is by far the best method! As this allows you to target both demographics and you can allow the user to decide what THEY want to do with their tool. Have 2 configurations in MC that allow the user to choose between "Professional" mode (where the bike is running with the 23FW settings and a "Fun/Solo/Exploration" mode where the rider can run in ASBO mode.

In my opinion FW22.3 will become a saught after firmware!
I think it may become like a collectors item due to what it allows non professional riders to do!

In conclusion I can see, understand and appreciate why Specialized are doing what they are doing, but I don't agree with it.

I say give the user control of the bike and give them ASBO mode if they want it. It opens up new markets and allows riders like me to explore and get to areas that were previously unobtainable.

Yesterday's ride in the trails with The guys from the club was amazing. I was able to climb everything they climbed (on my bike) I felt part of the group, and equal (even though I wasn't) I felt powerful (even though I wasn't) I felt fun, elated and happy.

When I got on Ian's bike I struggled to put enough power in, to get any power out and I couldn't get to the top of the hill I previously just got to? Why?

After that I felt disappointed, sad, and I wound have held the group up etc and been embarrassed etc as everyone would have to wait for me again as I'm too weak to get up the hills. Why do that?

Back on my bike and it threw me up the hill like I was being pushed from behind, just resting my feet on the pedals (as my thighs BURNED in pain) and my bike, my beautiful bike rescued me and said "don't worry you fat, lazy (out of shape) piece of shit, I've got this one" ;)

I really appreciate your reflection, made me think, what would I do if I was on Specialized shoes... commercially speaking I would try to democratize ebikes faster (better margins) growing demand, etc... but to take it to the next level they need to be stablished as bikes, meaning they must be able to participate in events, races, etc... so it get’s established and accepted.

Not as strategy, but as a tactic I would keep an eye on the other people that can’t or doesn’t want to do big efforts... and I think the solution is really easy and can be provided through an app (I would cash that opportunity too)

This is just my professional bias speaking

Cyclejunkie

Founding Member
Mar 27, 2018
Deal Kent
Thank you for posting!!

Can you explaine the difference, between support & peak power?
have you noticed any improvement from range from a fully charged 504 battery?
thanks.
Sorry I don’t know & as far as battery performance I’ll keep a eye on it over the next couple of weeks & report back

ccrdave

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
uk
ok so wife got her new Kenevo today with the latest firmware and I have been doing a bit of fiddleling, still more to do but heres my first impressions
first the bike, its Fantastic!!!
now the firmware hmmm not so fantastic cant put my finger on it but something is not right, sure its smooth and feels like the zeus bug did in other apps but it just doesnt feel very powerful.
using Bleveo all the smart stuff and ride monitoring in Bleveo still works but any of the presets that use less then 20%motor current (the best ones) which is now called peak something or other dont work and the ones that do work, you can replicate the setting in mission control. Which is a little better to use but still (in my opinion) flakey
I will do some more detailed comparisons but if you want my humble advice and if you want the fantastic flexibility of Bleveo or the power and punch from mission control with firmware v22 DONT UPGRADE TO 23

ccrdave

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
uk
So i better balance my previous post a bit wife just been out on some of the off piste stuf in the FOD smashed all her levo times by miles

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
I wish. Unfortunately a Kenevo has always been well over my budget which is why I don't have one...

kcarbon

Founding Member
Feb 3, 2018
australia
So i better balance my previous post a bit wife just been out on some of the off piste stuf in the FOD smashed all her levo times by miles

sometimes smoothly delivered Torque, very misleading .
then you take it out on your normal rides and check your times.
hope your wife enjoying her new bike!!

ccrdave

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
uk
Shes loving it mate but dropper post is causing a bit of a problem cant set it low enough in the frame but we have plan

junglie69

Mar 22, 2018
Warminster
Does anyone know how to restore the previous app 1.1.2 mine auto installed, yes I’ve changed that setting now. I’m Apple only. The Mac book route via iTunes doesn’t exist anymore and I’ve even deleted my phone and reinstalled however the oldest backup is 31/5 and its still the latest app. Any useful pointers much appreciated, thanks.

James_MTB

Jan 15, 2018
Thank you for posting!!

Can you explaine the difference, between support & peak power?
have you noticed any improvement from range from a fully charged 504 battery?
thanks.
I managed an extra 500ft of climbing (on the new motor\battery firmware) on my first ride.
Support 80/85/100 with Peak 70/80/100

Will continue to experiment

NEUE MISSION CONTROL APP 1.2 MIT INFINITE TUNE FEATURE

What are the benefits of Infinite Tune?

• As the name implies, you have almost unlimited possibilities to customize the engine characteristics to your personal preferences and needs.
  • Enjoy the freedom to customize your Levo / Kenevo exactly as you need it for your riding style, terrain and desired performance or range.
When will Infinite Tune be available and how can I use it?

• Infinite Tune is part of the new Mission Control version 1.2, so first install the update on your smartphone.
  • Infinite Tune additionally requires a firmware update of the battery to version X.23, details about the new firmware can be found here .
  • Please note that due to a new communication protocol within the X.23 firmware, third-party apps connected to your bike may no longer be compatible. Using third-party apps is also not recommended.
What causes the change of peak power (previously called max motor current)?

• Peak power controls the maximum power that the engine can pull out of the battery when the rider is pedaling very hard.
  • Lowering the peak power limits the maximum engine power, but noticeably improves the range because power peaks that consume relatively much energy are avoided.
What is the difference between support and peak performance?

• Support: The engine amplifies the power that puts the driver on the pedal. With 100% support, the rider input is increased by a factor of 3.2. With 50% support, the power the rider puts on the pedal is increased by a factor of 1.6. Thus, you can control with the parameter support by what factor the engine strengthens the driver's power.
  • Peak Power : The Peak Power parameter allows you to regulate how much power the engine maximizes in the peak. Assuming an engine can temporarily deliver a maximum of 500 watts, then at 100% peak power it will reach this limit with the corresponding input from the rider. With 50% peak power, the maximum is reached with 250 watts of support, the engine does not contribute more power, no matter how hard you pedal. Thus one can determine even the limit for turbo, trail and eco mode.
Accelerometer sensitivity

This parameter is no longer present in Mission Control 1.2 because the "Race" setting may have an effect that was perceived by many drivers as irregular engine support. To prevent this effect, the parameter is now fixed to "Eco".

The following graphics explain the difference between the old setting and the new Infinite Tune options. They also visualize the effects of adjustments on support and peak performance in trail mode.

A) Motor current settings with battery firmware X.22 (before Infinite Tune)

• Peak performance by default at par with support (when maximum motor current regulator is set to 100%)
  • All three modes are clearly separated
  • The driver can not achieve full turbo power (maximum engine support) in trail mode
grafik_a.png

B) Infinite tune settings with battery firmware X.23.0 or higher

• For each mode, the support and peak power can be set as desired
    • here: Trail 70% with 100% peak performance
  • Conclusion: With more power on the pedals, the rider in Trail can achieve the same engine assistance as in the turbo
grafik_b.png

C) Infinite tune settings with battery firmware X.23.0 or higher

• For each mode, the support and peak power can be set as desired
    • here: Trail 50% with 70% peak performance
  • Conclusion: The driver can get the same engine power as the standard setting, but has to press more watts into the pedals
grafik_c.png

The Mission Control app works exclusively for the models Levo and Kenevo. The models Vado and Como are not supported by the new app.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles