Levo SL Gen 1 SL Levo Shimano build

ridesantacruz

Feb 4, 2020
Santa Cruz
I thought I would share my Levo SL shimano build. I don't care for Sram components except the AXS seat post so I decided to buy the SL carbon comp and then do a full custom build on the bike. I installed 11speed instead of 12. I feel on the ebike it's unnecessary and not a good fit. 12 speed is not robust enough and to finicky. I finished the bike today and took her for a maiden voyage. 3 hrs, 30 miles, 2500' of elev gain, 33% of battery life left, and lots of smiles. The ride included the range extender and I rode 90% of the ride in "trail mode". I will upgrade the cranks to carbon when they are available. I would like to upgrade the shock to the DPX2 or X2. I am hoping someone will do it and post it.

This was my parts list:
Pedals XTR M9100 PD-M9120
Brakes XTR M9100 BL-M9120
Shifter XTR SL-M9000 11-speed
Derailleur XT long cage SGS Shimano XT RD-M8000
Cassette XT CS-M8000 11spd (11-42)
Chain CN-HG701-11spd
Sram AXS Seatpost
Bars ENVE M7
Stem Industry 9 35mm
Fox Fork 36 grip2 150mm
Fox DPX2 210x52.5mm
Reserve Rims 30 with Industry 9 hubs

Centerlock 203mm IceTech Rotors front and rear
Maxxis Minion DHF 2.5 – front
Maxxis Minion DHR II 2.4 - rear
Cushcore
Odi Elite Pro Grips

IMG_8121.jpeg

IMG_8123.jpeg

IMG_8125.jpeg

IMG_8126.jpeg

IMG_8129.jpeg

IMG_8130.jpeg

Last edited:

Fivetones

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Feb 11, 2019
Cheshire
Nice build.

I must admit after short test ride of the Comp Carbon SL on Sunday the SRAM kit (and other finishing parts) felt cheap compared to my current Shimano/Hope equipped bike. Until Specialized sell a frame/motor then the CC is the best option to build the bike it should be.

squeegee

Aug 19, 2019
USA
Nice build, there should be at least one SL model from Spesh that comes set up similarly to this.

Are tires standard EXO case?

I am curious about the weight myself, including the attached range extender just to see how it stacks up against full power models.

ridesantacruz

Feb 4, 2020
Santa Cruz
On the X2 - Marshall Mullen is running on at 210x55mm fox ID: DX6S Says it works great with that tune.
I have an X2 210x55mm sitting in a box waiting to be installed. Not sure if it's going to be an issue with the range extender. When I have some time I will install it. I was hoping to see some pictures of one installed before I start.

jcmonty

Sep 5, 2018
California
I have an X2 210x55mm sitting in a box waiting to be installed. Not sure if it's going to be an issue with the range extender. When I have some time I will install it. I was hoping to see some pictures of one installed before I start.
He claimed that it fits fine. Curious to see your results. IF you don't mind, post up your fox id as well.

Edit: not sure what size he was riding. I am XL, so assuming an X2 will fit that

Last edited:

losgatosgtr

Feb 7, 2020
Los Gatos, California
Nice build. How does the front end feel with the factory 36? Did you consider going to a 160 mm or do you think sticking with 150 mm is a better option? What offset is it?

I'm thinking of doing a fox 36 160mm fork and a 210 x 55 rear shock also. I find the SL with the 150mm fork almost too responsive in handling and want to add some stability by slightly increasing trail.

jcmonty

Sep 5, 2018
California
Nice build. How does the front end feel with the factory 36? Did you consider going to a 160 mm or do you think sticking with 150 mm is a better option? What offset is it?

I'm thinking of doing a fox 36 160mm fork and a 210 x 55 rear shock also. I find the SL with the 150mm fork almost too responsive in handling and want to add some stability by slightly increasing trail.
Same - 160mm, maybe 44mm offset (longer trail, more neutral). Also (still) waiting on an offset bushing to try out. The quick handling is awesome, but i would give up a bit of the twitchiness to have some more neutral feel

losgatosgtr

Feb 7, 2020
Los Gatos, California
Same - 160mm, maybe 44mm offset (longer trail, more neutral). Also (still) waiting on an offset bushing to try out. The quick handling is awesome, but i would give up a bit of the twitchiness to have some more neutral feel
I agree jcmonty as I'm coming from an enduro type of geometry bike to the SL and want just a tad more stability and grip (front and rear) from the fork and shock upgrade I am planning.

Last edited:

ridesantacruz

Feb 4, 2020
Santa Cruz
The fox 36 feels great, I run a little less air then recommend by Fox, bike feels plush but stable. The fork came off a Specialized enduro and is the same specs as the Levo SL, 150mm travel with 51mm offset. I think the 150mm travel is just fine for this bike. The 160mm might be an issue climbing steep hills, the front end already feels like it wants to come up on steep climbs.

ridesantacruz

Feb 4, 2020
Santa Cruz
The X2 shock does not work with the range extender on medium SL. The reservoir interferes with the the external battery. It might be possible to carve out part of the battery case to make it work but more hassle then it's worth. I will be returning the X2 and getting the DPX2 instead.

IMG_8185.jpeg

IMG_8186.jpeg

Last edited:

ridesantacruz

Feb 4, 2020
Santa Cruz
Dropping the water bottle cage will cause another issue. The cord is surprisingly stiff and if you don't have the water bottle cage at the correct height, it makes plugging and unplugging the cord difficult.

CjP

PRIME TIME
Subscriber
Jan 1, 2019
Everywhere
160 front should be a minimum from what I felt when riding it. I’d go 170 regardless of feel, but I’m a gravity whore. Please make a evo version or even better an enduro SL. ?

jcmonty

Sep 5, 2018
California
Dropping the water bottle cage will cause another issue. The cord is surprisingly stiff and if you don't have the water bottle cage at the correct height, it makes plugging and unplugging the cord difficult.
I may have missed it scanning the thread, but what size are you on? Medium?

Killswitch73

Sep 15, 2018
West Midlands
My bike is a medium. Might work on larger bikes.

how tall are you for this bike ?

I have a medium Kenevo 19 and a large stumpjumper 19 .. the stumpy is a perfect fit for me .. really am thinking of ditching both bikes and getting the comp carbon SL and putting my lyrik 160 ultimates and full AXS set on the bike from my custom built stumpy .. and my carbin Nextie wheels .

paquo

Jul 31, 2018
usa
Love a Shimano build, really tidy bike.
My bike mechanic says "how do you spell SRAM... s...h....1....t.
the main reason I don't want to buy a levo is the sram builds
i know right, not that i need another bike but i couldn't resist full shimano

ridesantacruz

Feb 4, 2020
Santa Cruz

I have a medium Kenevo 19 and a large stumpjumper 19 .. the stumpy is a perfect fit for me .. really am thinking of ditching both bikes and getting the comp carbon SL and putting my lyrik 160 ultimates and full AXS set on the bike from my custom built stumpy .. and my carbin Nextie wheels .
I am 5'8", I feel the cockpit is a little short on the bike. Fortunately, I like it like that but I think a lot people would prefer to be more stretched out over the bike.

Mcharza

E*POWAH BOSS
Aug 10, 2018
Helsinki, Finland

A good plan. My Kenovo 19 was Medium. New Kenovo 20 is S3 and my Spesh Evo is S2, both bikes feels the same.

ridesantacruz

Feb 4, 2020
Santa Cruz
After installing the DPX2 and trying to get the sag correct for my weight, I was having to put in a lot more PSI than I thought I should need. I weigh 180lbs with riding gear and usually start at about 180PSI for setting the sag on the Float shock. To get the sag correct, on the DPX2 I needed about 240PSI which seems too high. The original float shock from Specialized had a 0.8 inch volume spacer in it. I was going to swap the volume spacer to the DPX2 which did not have any in the shock but the shock shaft is larger. So I ordered a volume spacer kit for the DPX2. Unfortunately, the DPX2 shock spacers are not the same sizes as the Float shock spacers. I am planning on using the .86 inch spacer to start with because it's the closet size to the stock spacer. Anyone else come across the same issue? Please share which volume spacer you put in your shock for the SL.

levity

E*POWAH Elite
Patreon
Founding Member
Feb 15, 2018
SoCal
Did you equalize the positive and negative air chambers several times at different pressure levels as you pumped it up? Volume tokens should not have much effect on the air spring required to set sag. I'm not familiar with the DPX2, but I imagine it would require similar pressure to the DPS shock (roughly your weight).

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles