Levo SL Gen 1 SL Levo Shimano build

ridesantacruz

Feb 4, 2020
Santa Cruz
yep, shock was equalized. I thought the same thing but when I talked to a bike shop manager, first thing he said was to add volume spacer. The stock shock has a .8inch spacer in it. The DPX2, no spacer. I think the issue is, it needs a spacer.

jcmonty

Sep 5, 2018
California
yep, shock was equalized. I thought the same thing but when I talked to a bike shop manager, first thing he said was to add volume spacer. The stock shock has a .8inch spacer in it. The DPX2, no spacer. I think the issue is, it needs a spacer.

Generally, volume spacers impact the end of the stroke (more progressive =. Better bottom out), but the sag shouldn’t be too impacted. I do think this bike needs a volume space in the DPS and probably the DPX2 as it’s not super progressive stock. Perhaps the DPX has a bigger air can/high volume?

I am a proponet of the Cascade Components link that ups the progressivity to closer to 20% overall. Better bottom out support, still supple and great mid stroke. You actually need higher PSI to get the same sag though ( I went from ~ 200psi to about 220psi on the DPS).

boBE

Apr 12, 2020
FL
I looked at replacing the SRAM 12 speed with Shimano 11 speed, looks like it will come out to about $200 for the parts. I may do it, the SRAM upshifts clunky most of the time.

levity

E*POWAH Elite
Patreon
Founding Member
Feb 15, 2018
SoCal
The shop manager may have been referring to spacers for the negative air chamber. Reducing the negative air volume would allow using less pressure to get a given sag. The stock DPS shock on the SL has two green 0.16 cu.in. spacers. I don't know if your DPX2 has negative air spacers installed, but 0.12 c.i. tokens (light red) are available.

ridesantacruz

Feb 4, 2020
Santa Cruz
I looked at replacing the SRAM 12 speed with Shimano 11 speed, looks like it will come out to about $200 for the parts. I may do it, the SRAM upshifts clunky most of the time.
I find that the 11 spd shimano works a lot better then the stock Sram 12 speed. I personally don't think a 12 speed is necessary on an ebike. The downside to the 12 speed: the chain is thinner, chain is longer to accommodate the larger cassette and it seems to take more maintenance to keep the shifting smooth. No issues with my upgraded XT 11 speed and I used the original cable housing that came on the SL.

ridesantacruz

Feb 4, 2020
Santa Cruz
The shop manager may have been referring to spacers for the negative air chamber. Reducing the negative air volume would allow using less pressure to get a given sag. The stock DPS shock on the SL has two green 0.16 cu.in. spacers. I don't know if your DPX2 has negative air spacers installed, but 0.12 c.i. tokens (light red) are available.
I will install a volume spacer when I get the kit which are coming in the mail. If that does not correct it, I will look into the negative side. I will take a look at the stock Float shock again, did not look at the negative side when I had it open. Did not even know that the negative side had volume spacers. Thanks!

paquo

Jul 31, 2018
usa
I find that the 11 spd shimano works a lot better then the stock Sram 12 speed. I personally don't think a 12 speed is necessary on an ebike. The downside to the 12 speed: the chain is thinner, chain is longer to accommodate the larger cassette and it seems to take more maintenance to keep the shifting smooth. No issues with my upgraded XT 11 speed and I used the original cable housing that came on the SL.
i wonder if going to a 12 speed xt cassette , or cassette , xt der and and shifter would improve things. I cant find a 94 bcd hyperglide chainring for the full shimano effect but perhaps a different spider is available. The other possibility is axs. I like the 11 speed idea but i like the little wider range the 11-50 gives

Killswitch73

Sep 15, 2018
West Midlands
i wonder if going to a 12 speed xt cassette , or cassette , xt der and and shifter would improve things. I cant find a 94 bcd hyperglide chainring for the full shimano effect but perhaps a different spider is available. The other possibility is axs. I like the 11 speed idea but i like the little wider range the 11-50 gives
Remember we work harder with the SL . I’ve got full axs kit to put on mine when it’s ready for pick up from bike shop .

p3eps

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
Remember we work harder with the SL . I’ve got full axs kit to put on mine when it’s ready for pick up from bike shop .

Totally agree - I’ve had several occasions so far where I needed that dinner plate 1st gear!
On my Rail, I could have done with a 10 speed (or less) no problem!

Killswitch73

Sep 15, 2018
West Midlands
Yup - I can't fault mine. I don't think I'd go back to a wired one.
And having 2 bikes it can be easily changed over to other bike .. it’s just the remote bolt , mech bolt and chain .. I will use it on my stumpy still
Along with my carbon wheels . axs dropper too fits my stumpy 19 expert . All my stumpy will be is frame ,shock forks and brakes and cockpit .

losgatosgtr

Feb 7, 2020
Los Gatos, California
I thought I would share my Levo SL shimano build. I don't care for Sram components except the AXS seat post so I decided to buy the SL carbon comp and then do a full custom build on the bike. I installed 11speed instead of 12. I feel on the ebike it's unnecessary and not a good fit. 12 speed is not robust enough and to finicky. I finished the bike today and took her for a maiden voyage. 3 hrs, 30 miles, 2500' of elev gain, 33% of battery life left, and lots of smiles. The ride included the range extender and I rode 90% of the ride in "trail mode". I will upgrade the cranks to carbon when they are available. I would like to upgrade the shock to the DPX2 or X2. I am hoping someone will do it and post it.

This was my parts list:
Pedals XTR M9100 PD-M9120
Brakes XTR M9100 BL-M9120
Shifter XTR SL-M9000 11-speed
Derailleur XT long cage SGS Shimano XT RD-M8000
Cassette XT CS-M8000 11spd (11-42)
Chain CN-HG701-11spd
Sram AXS Seatpost
Bars ENVE M7
Stem Industry 9 35mm
Fox Fork 36 grip2 150mm
Fox DPX2 210x52.5mm
Reserve Rims 30 with Industry 9 hubs

Centerlock 203mm IceTech Rotors front and rear
Maxxis Minion DHF 2.5 – front
Maxxis Minion DHR II 2.4 - rear
Cushcore
Odi Elite Pro Grips

View attachment 26982

View attachment 26983

View attachment 26984

View attachment 26985

View attachment 26986

View attachment 26987

How do you like the feel of the reserve 30 carbon rims? I know they are bulletproof but how do they ride, do they ricochet through rock gardens throwing you off line, things like that?

Thinking about getting them but I need micro spline as I want to utilize 12-speed Shimano cassette, chain and I'll be using it with the SRAM AXS rear derailleur.

ridesantacruz

Feb 4, 2020
Santa Cruz
How do you like the feel of the reserve 30 carbon rims? I know they are bulletproof but how do they ride, do they ricochet through rock gardens throwing you off line, things like that?

Thinking about getting them but I need micro spline as I want to utilize 12-speed Shimano cassette, chain and I'll be using it with the SRAM AXS rear derailleur.
The Reserve rims with the I9 hubs are killer! I don't have any complaints. Never noticed an issue. I use Cushcore with the rims and run my tires with about 19PSI.

onkelshort

Aug 26, 2020
Germany

Nice one! Was the routing of the rear brake a problem?

Al Boneta

Dark Rider
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
California
Nice build.

I must admit after short test ride of the Comp Carbon SL on Sunday the SRAM kit (and other finishing parts) felt cheap compared to my current Shimano/Hope equipped bike. Until Specialized sell a frame/motor then the CC is the best option to build the bike it should be.
They have a S-Works LEVO SL frame kit

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles