Santa Cruz Heckler 2021 ep8 engine failure.

vrbtile

Mar 1, 2023
LaCrescenta Ca
Hello all. I have a Santa Cruz Heckler cc xt mx which is a joy to ride when working. I bought this bike used with 70 miles on it in flawless condition . It now has 700 miles on it. The original owner had bought a bike that he thought was to large for him. I never would have imagined when I bought this bike that I would have a problem since I have owned Santa Cruz products and Shimano products before and they have worked flawlessly. I was riding my bike when the motor just stopped working. There were no changes on display and I could tell that it was trying to work because I could turn off motor and it would disengage. I took the bike to 2 bike shops and the both tried updating motor and both said motor is fried. Since I'm not the original owner Shimano has been absolutely useless. Since I'm a handy guy I pulled motor and split the case. What I found stunned me. There is absolutely nothing separating the circuit boards and the greased gears inside and large splotches of grease were covering circuit board. I could smell the scent of burnt electrical and was wondering if anyone else has encountered this. I cleaned off grease re-installed and did not fix problem. I feel the grease is what caused the problem. I called Shimano and told them what I found. Lastly these motors are back ordered in the US until at least November 2023. I have called both Santa Cruz and Shimano to maybe help me get a motor sooner but with no luck. It sucks when you walk in a bike shop and see bikes with ep8 motors lined up and can't buy one to fix a broken one which was obviously defective. I would strongly advise anyone who is considering buying an e bike to not buy one with a Shimano ep8 motor and would think twice before buying any Shimano product again.

vrbtile

Mar 1, 2023
LaCrescenta Ca
Sorry to hear, that really sucks :(

Would it be possible to contact the original owner and ask them to make a warranty claim on your behalf?

In the UK at least it seems having the original invoice or receipt is enough Shimano warranty is transferable.
Hello thanks for responding. Here in the US if you aren't the original owner even with receipt they won't help you. That was straight from Shimano.

Oakhills

Jul 27, 2022
Oakland, California
That doesn’t bode well for the used market here in the US. I was thinking of buying a used bike with a Shimano motor…. Not anymore! I’d hate to have to wait 8+ months for a new motor.

JStrube

Sep 15, 2022
Atwater, CA
We had the same "Oh, you are the second owner, you are out of luck", on a Giant bike, when the battery started failing. 150 miles on the bike when we bought it.

JP-NZ

E*POWAH Elite
Feb 17, 2022
Christchurch - New Zealand
This is nothing new from Santa Cruz & Shimano...

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles