2024 Santa Cruz Heckler SL

akira

Dec 9, 2021
SanDiego
Replacement DU was refreshing to the ears. I’ve got 15 sloppy PNW rides (160 mi, 30k feet) on the new one with no issues so far, and I’m listening closely 😂

My original DU was produced May 2023, hardware version 2. New one produced September 2023, version 5, so seems like some rolling improvements are underway.
Same for me! New drive unit is silent and still loving the Heckler SL.

BrandEZ_SL

Jan 7, 2024
Ontario
Replacement DU was refreshing to the ears. I’ve got 15 sloppy PNW rides (160 mi, 30k feet) on the new one with no issues so far, and I’m listening closely 😂

My original DU was produced May 2023, hardware version 2. New one produced September 2023, version 5, so seems like some rolling improvements are underway.
That's amazing to hear! Mine was also hardware version 2, it's great to hear there's updated motor versions rolling out as well.

deksawyer

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Jan 11, 2020
Fife, Scotland
Interestingly, mine is from Nov 22 hardware version 3 (on my Haibike).

Screenshot 2024-01-11 at 13.16.25 2.png

Dodger1

Oct 16, 2023
Devon. Uk
How are you all finding the sizing on the Heckler SL?
I am seriously considering buying but they are not easy to find in the UK yet, my LBS says they have a medium coming but I’m guessing at 5’10” I may need a Large?

Ou812

Jun 26, 2022
Fort William
I am seriously considering buying but they are not easy to find in the UK yet, my LBS says they have a medium coming but I’m guessing at 5’10” I may need a Large?
My local SC dealer had a few sizes in stock when I was there last week, not sure what he has left now. His website isn’t always up to date so it would probably be better to give him a call.

BrandEZ_SL

Jan 7, 2024
Ontario
I found it to be consistent with Santa Cruz sizing in general so if your shop has a large Hightower or Bronson or tallboy try it against the medium and see what you like. At 5’10” you’re slightly (1”) above what they recommend for medium. If I were you I probably wouldn’t hesitate to ride a M but only because I like my bikes more on the playful side. Plus i suppose you can always play around with a longer stem if the small difference in reach matters to you.
If you want the large though I bet the wait time would not be unreasonable.

Canyon Shawn

Feb 4, 2023
Lake Sherwood, California
Get a large. With a medium, you’ll feel on top of the bike. With a large you’ll feel in the bike. It’ll be more stable and you’ll learn to make it more responsive in the corners. It’s a light bike. So, that shouldn’t be difficult. If you find it slightly long. Put a shorter stem on it. A 5mm change will make a big difference.

duke209

Sep 23, 2021
Germany
Hi, I had contact with Fazua about a few questions.

The Extender will probably not be launched until the end of 2024. But the SL is prepared.

A stealth mode (as on the Levos) is placed in software development. Whether it will be implemented is not yet known.

Yesterday shock - Bike does not charge. Charger always jumped to green immediately. Contacts were clean.

Solution: Some contact spray, everything fine….good to know.

duke209

Sep 23, 2021
Germany

I have M at 5.9“. I like it playful.
I think L would be better for you.

Daboss

Jan 17, 2021
Melbourne

My newly delivered heckler is on version 2, May 2023 build, have had 3 rides close to 100ks seems alittle louder like a grumbling most when I'm hiking it and the motors hot, I'll keep an eye on it, and if it needs to be replaced so be it, I guess that's what the warranty is for, hopefully..
But overall pretty impressive bike, different to the Bosch fully blown unit, but in a good way.

cykelk

Subscriber
May 15, 2023
Cascadia
My newly delivered heckler is on version 2, May 2023 build, have had 3 rides close to 100ks seems alittle louder like a grumbling most when I'm hiking it and the motors hot, I'll keep an eye on it, and if it needs to be replaced so be it, I guess that's what the warranty is for, hopefully..
But overall pretty impressive bike, different to the Bosch fully blown unit, but in a good way.
It'll catch your ear if it becomes a problem unless all of your pedaling is lower grade / higher speed pedaling. I wouldn't worry too much about noise that's only perceptible walking. Despite my originally having trouble conveying the sounds here in the thread, they are quite perceptible and notably "not right" when riding. My mechanic has a Relay (same motor system) and when he heard mine he immediately asked "that's the motor?!"

duke209

Sep 23, 2021
Germany
I have the feeling, that the R60 consumes more than the Mahle 1.1 (LevoSL). But in the cold at the moment difficult to compare.

I have now created a App-profile similar to the Mahle (I drove mostly 20/100, with Buddys with regular Bikes then 15/100) - soon compare (route and height).

cykelk

Subscriber
May 15, 2023
Cascadia
I have the feeling, that the R60 consumes more than the Mahle 1.1 (LevoSL). But in the cold at the moment difficult to compare.

I have now created a App-profile similar to the Mahle (I drove mostly 20/100, with Buddys with regular Bikes then 15/100) - soon compare (route and height).
In addition to impact of cold weather on the assist system, remember to factor in trail conditions. I get far more range / elevation on frozen trails than I do soggy trails (or snow-covered trails).

Dodger1

Oct 16, 2023
Devon. Uk
Well I made a 2nd visit to my local bike shop to try a Santa-Cruz Hightower and Bronson in large and medium for size(I actually loved both bikes) I took the Heckler Sl in medium for an extended 2nd test ride with the guy from the shop coming with me to show me old cobbled streets, riding up and down sets of steps to give me a really good feel for the bike.
I just loved it and I really preferred the medium size bike over the large so having lost my mum to cancer recently I decided to buy a dream bike, the X0AXSRSV Heckler SL!

IMG_2131.jpeg

Andeh

May 30, 2023
Half Moon Bay, CA
How many people here came to the Heckler SL from a full power ebike? I've got a Levo right now that's got a Cascade Link and 170 Zeb on it, and while it's light for a full power bike (just over 50 lbs), it's still pretty tiring to throw around on steep technical terrain. When I got it, the Heckler SL didn't exist and the Levo SL (v1) was a joke. I'm a relatively fit rider, and alternate my ebike rides with my Nomad 6. My main reason for having an ebike at all is time limitations, and it's really nice to be able to grab it and bang out 4500' in 2 hours. I'm <175 ready to ride. Very few of my riding buddies have ebikes, and those that do are usually older and a lot heavier, so I'm somewhat optimistic that I could at least not slow them down too much.

I'd like to be able to get 4000' off the SL in mid power (River?), and would pick up a range extender when it's released to either run in the turbo mode more, or longer rides. I normally ride in Turbo on the Levo but that's mostly because why not. I think the most I've done on the Levo was 6000' in a combination of all 3 modes.

Are people feeling like the HSL has enough travel to accommodate the extra weight? In my experience, the Levo really needed the 170 fork and Cascade link because its less progressive suspension and weight caused it to blow through its travel easily. I love the suspension on my Nomad (170/170, with Zeb and Vivid), but it's more travel than I strictly need. I'm sure I could be fine with a 160 fork up front, although I'm not sure I can go back to a Lyrik from a Zeb. I have both a Super Deluxe Air and a Vivid for the Nomad, and while the SD is great, I love the combination of midstroke and pop on the Vivid, so I'd be really tempted to put one on the HSL also. I've already got a set of Reserve 30 HD AL wheels I'd move over.

cykelk

Subscriber
May 15, 2023
Cascadia
How many people here came to the Heckler SL from a full power ebike? I've got a Levo right now that's got a Cascade Link and 170 Zeb on it, and while it's light for a full power bike (just over 50 lbs), it's still pretty tiring to throw around on steep technical terrain. When I got it, the Heckler SL didn't exist and the Levo SL (v1) was a joke. I'm a relatively fit rider, and alternate my ebike rides with my Nomad 6. My main reason for having an ebike at all is time limitations, and it's really nice to be able to grab it and bang out 4500' in 2 hours. I'm <175 ready to ride. Very few of my riding buddies have ebikes, and those that do are usually older and a lot heavier, so I'm somewhat optimistic that I could at least not slow them down too much.

I'd like to be able to get 4000' off the SL in mid power (River?), and would pick up a range extender when it's released to either run in the turbo mode more, or longer rides. I normally ride in Turbo on the Levo but that's mostly because why not. I think the most I've done on the Levo was 6000' in a combination of all 3 modes.

Are people feeling like the HSL has enough travel to accommodate the extra weight? In my experience, the Levo really needed the 170 fork and Cascade link because its less progressive suspension and weight caused it to blow through its travel easily. I love the suspension on my Nomad (170/170, with Zeb and Vivid), but it's more travel than I strictly need. I'm sure I could be fine with a 160 fork up front, although I'm not sure I can go back to a Lyrik from a Zeb. I have both a Super Deluxe Air and a Vivid for the Nomad, and while the SD is great, I love the combination of midstroke and pop on the Vivid, so I'd be really tempted to put one on the HSL also. I've already got a set of Reserve 30 HD AL wheels I'd move over.
Yes it's enough travel. It uses it's travel really well, I've never felt under-gunned and while I'm no enduro racer, I can put a bike through it's paces. I've had a few moments where I knew I really botched a line, but it wasn't that unpleasant.

You can get 4k feet in mid power at your weight, especially if you're fit enough to be contributing a good portion of the work. I'm 170 to 180lbs riding weight depending on kit and meals with FTP somewhere in the 220W ballpark, and in River I get 850 to 1050 feet / "bar" depending on conditions and pitch. That's on climbing grades that average 8% to 10%. You probably can't get 4500' in two hours. At least, I certainly can't.

Andeh

May 30, 2023
Half Moon Bay, CA
Good to know. Yeah, we have some climbs that are 15-20% (the "easy" ones are 10%), so as long as the motor and I give enough power, that's why I was thinking 4k in 2 hours might be possible. Total winch & plummet terrain. On the Levo I recently did an after work ride that was 3,800' in 1:05 moving time, 1:17 total time. 4 full laps and 2 half laps, so a pretty nice little rip.

The Levo (even with Cascade and SD with HBO) feels like it does the opposite of the latest VPP - it gives up its travel too easily. I've got max volume tokens, compression in the middle, and like 28% sag and it still bottoms out on just about any jump. The N6 does not, which is why I want to switch the E over to SC also.

Mid-power should be fine for trail work too, since it's less about range and more about carrying an extra 40 lbs of tools.

cykelk

Subscriber
May 15, 2023
Cascadia
Good to know. Yeah, we have some climbs that are 15-20% (the "easy" ones are 10%), so as long as the motor and I give enough power, that's why I was thinking 4k in 2 hours might be possible. Total winch & plummet terrain.
I guess you’re right on this type of terrain. One locally for me is avg 17% with pitches up to 25% - my last ride there was 3k feet in a bit over an hour moving time…68% battery used all on Boost (buddy on his full power), and that’s with a few miles on the road. I could have done another 1200 ft lap in 20-25 mins with a little juice left.

JuiceStainV&RStick

Feb 7, 2024
Pacific Ocean
Are the Fazua Ride 60 getting more reliable? I'd love to hear LBS wrenches chime in. I'm interested in a Heckler SL or Relay, the Fazua ticks all the boxes. I might go cautious and get a proven full fat as an interim option since I'll be using this thing in the middle of nowhere without dealer service available.

Seemed like the problems were mostly early firmware glitches and the remote, but the motors were mechanically OK?

Ou812

Jun 26, 2022
Fort William
Are the Fazua Ride 60 getting more reliable? I'd love to hear LBS wrenches chime in. I'm interested in a Heckler SL or Relay, the Fazua ticks all the boxes. I might go cautious and get a proven full fat as an interim option since I'll be using this thing in the middle of nowhere without dealer service available.

Seemed like the problems were mostly early firmware glitches and the remote, but the motors were mechanically OK?
My mate just got a refund on his, it went through 2 motors and 2 ring controllers in a month. The second motor was the newest revision 5 and it failed the same way the original revision 2 did. The owner of the shop has already replaced a motor and a ring controller on his personal bike too. I’d browse the Fazua Riders FB page and have a look then judge for yourself.

cykelk

Subscriber
May 15, 2023
Cascadia

In the middle of nowhere is worrisome for any eBike, but the middleweight systems can at least be reasonably pedaled when off. I’m more comfortable exploring further out with my HSL than I was with my EP8 bike.

There’s still enough chance you’ll need warranty work that you shouldn’t buy it unless you’re comfortable with that. For what it’s worth, my experience with warranty was solid. I’ve got about 80 90 hours riding the bike now and it’s just rad…in the US there simply aren’t compelling alternatives. Maybe if you wait a year.

Last edited:

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
I am looking at a gravel bike with a Fazau 50 motor. I've never heard of them before but i don't delve very far on this forum. . Every brand of motor I read about seems to have some kind of issue . I am on my 4th Brose motor so paranoia is allowed .

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
Take a look at the Santa Cruz Skitch.
Looks good and battery size is big . I am looking at a Cairns e adventure as it takes panniers and i fancy touring again but it only has a 250 battery . I was intending to convert my Dawes Galaxy to electric . Minefield out there .

cykelk

Subscriber
May 15, 2023
Cascadia
Looks good and battery size is big . I am looking at a Cairns e adventure as it takes panniers and i fancy touring again but it only has a 250 battery . I was intending to convert my Dawes Galaxy to electric . Minefield out there .
If you decide to go Heckler SL, you gotta share pics of you shredding it with panniers.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles