2024 Santa Cruz Heckler SL

ifu03558

Mar 11, 2019
Glasgow
Hi all, picked up gx axs Heckler SL, anyone running it with a 170mm fork? Also the rear shock seems quite progressive, would kind like it to be plush...thinking about a megneg, any thoughts.

2WHLFUN

Apr 27, 2022
Trinidad, CO
Understood, and yes there are several complete systems in the SL category (range extender actually available). I only mention these thoughts here because people that buy these bikes with certain expectations may not realize there may not be enough capacity in the frame battery to complete long rides with their buddies on FF bikes or SL bikes that do have range extenders...if you are new to the SL ebike category or new to ebikes in general, full disclosure of inherent limitations may not always be put on the table by the seller either.
Exactly, isn’t the Ride 60 system only 60 for about 12 seconds when you force it? What are the standard nm’s for low medium and high?

Marshall Willanholly

Subscriber
Oct 24, 2022
Oregon

Trying to decide between this and the Levo SL2. I live in the PNW, and we’ve got lots of slippery roots here. This review makes it sound like the Heckler won’t be great in those situations.

Has anyone tried a coil shock? I think I remember a recent Roller Door podcast where Santa Cruz test rider Kieran McKinnon wouldn’t recommend a coil for this bike.

Last edited:

cykelk

Subscriber
May 15, 2023
Cascadia
Trying to decide between this and the Levo SL2. I live in the PNW, and we’ve got lots of slippery roots here. This review makes it sound like the Heckler won’t be great in those situations.

Has anyone tried a coil shock? I think I remember a recent Roller Door podcast where Santa Cruz test rider Kieran McKinnon wouldn’t recommend a coil for this bike.
I was hoping to see more of the PNW content in that review. Have you ridden Rocky Peak before? It's a great spot, and is nothing like riding the PNW. You'd be happy on a DH bike at RP apart from getting it to the top of the trails.

I've put a little over 400 miles on my Heckler SL in the Seattle / Bellingham corridor with a mix everything: flow / jump trails, high-speed blue tech, up to the slower and more precise double-black tech. I do notice the rear traction differences in specific conditions relative to some iterations of my Sentinel, and at some point I'm sure I'll play with a custom shock tune, but I love the bike and it's nothing a little riding adaptation hasn't compensated for. The platform strikes a good balance for the variety of flow, jump, and tech trail we have around us here.

squeegee

Aug 19, 2019
USA
Exactly, isn’t the Ride 60 system only 60 for about 12 seconds when you force it? What are the standard nm’s for low medium and high?
Not sure what torque is in lower settings of fazua but if want option of higher power while keeping in the SL category then 2 bikes come to mind; Giant's Trance X Advanced E+ or the Orbea Rise with the torque/power set to 85nm/500W using mini max or STunlocker software. Only 2 SL ebikes capable of full power readily available in US market. Giant and Orbea also have range extenders that you can actually buy which is not true of the former.

Suns_PSD

Jul 12, 2022
Austin

If you want the Fazua 60 and want a suspension that will work properly with a coil shock, you need the Relay.
The Levo SL has poor geo and a small battery imo.
GL.

duke209

Sep 23, 2021
Germany
Hi all,
what you should know: Before laying a new brake line, first unscrew the protector. Then the cable routing in the down tube becomes visible. Otherwise it just costs nerves.

My „Eliot Jackson Edition SL“ - custom:

Beast Riser 780/35 & Intend 50er & PNW Loam
160er 36er Factory (2021er) + Fox X2
150er Fox Transfer & SQLab 6OX Infinergy
GX AXS (old)
Hayes A4 Dominion & 203er Trickstuff Discs
Newmen SLA.30 wheels

Love that Bike (y)
Regards from Germany

IMG_7503.jpeg

IMG_7651.jpeg

IMG_7672.jpeg

ifu03558

Mar 11, 2019
Glasgow
anyone had any issues apart from noise on there SL, mine isnt turning on? Fine at the weekend and has 90% charge according to the app but pushing controller forward to turn it on isnt doing anything.

akira

Dec 9, 2021
SanDiego
anyone had any issues apart from noise on there SL, mine isnt turning on? Fine at the weekend and has 90% charge according to the app but pushing controller forward to turn it on isnt doing anything.
Yes. I had this same issue and it was a bad Ring Controller. When I plugged in a USB-C cord to the top tube mounted Hub Controller and ran the diagnostic…the LED lights illuminated. But the bike would not turn on when pushing the Ring Controller up.

ifu03558

Mar 11, 2019
Glasgow
Bike is back in the shop as ring controller is faulty, not ideal as its only a few weeks old. Shop has ordered new controllers from Fazau. As they are in Germany and Im in the UK might take a week or so. Not that impressed to be honest, brand new bike and they dont have any spare parts to hand.

Suns_PSD

Jul 12, 2022
Austin
The ring controller, which I initially had no issues with, is problematic.
I've got the updated version (on my Relay) but it now sticks, even when the clamping bolt is completely removed.
I like to flip my bike over for maintenance but the ring controller ends up sitting directly against the ground making this no longer a good idea.
The switch should be replaced with a rubberized up/ down button that's more durable.
Also we should be able to program the lights on the top tube to be turned off only lighting up when you change the power setting so as to have less distraction and be more incognito.

akira

Dec 9, 2021
SanDiego
Bike is back in the shop as ring controller is faulty, not ideal as its only a few weeks old. Shop has ordered new controllers from Fazau. As they are in Germany and Im in the UK might take a week or so. Not that impressed to be honest, brand new bike and they dont have any spare parts to hand.
Ask your bike shop to swap a ring controller from a new bike on their sales floor to get you back riding.

Also having experienced this issue, a nice feature would be the ability to turn on the FAZUA drive unit from the LED Hub on the top tube. Similar to what the Bosch and Specialized system function.

Last edited:

duke209

Sep 23, 2021
Germany
Also we should be able to program the lights on the top tube to be turned off only lighting up when you change the power setting so as to have less distraction and be more incognito.

Correctly. I like the stealth function on the Levo / LSL.
I've been thinking about write to Fazua to see if it could be introduced in an update.

Also having experienced this issue, a nice feature would be the ability to turn on the FAZUA drive unit from the LED Hub on the top tube. Similar to what the Bosch and Specialized system function.
I've already asked myself the same question: what happens on the ride if there's an error on the Ring Controller…..no way

Starting and changing levels via the Fazua app would certainly also be possible via an update….compromise solution.

akira

Dec 9, 2021
SanDiego
Correctly. I like the stealth function on the Levo / LSL.
I've been thinking about write to Fazua to see if it could be introduced in an update.

I've already asked myself the same question: what happens on the ride if there's an error on the Ring Controller…..no way

Starting and changing levels via the Fazua app would certainly also be possible via an update….compromise solution.
I would be fully content with having the function to be able to control on and off, along with mode change from the app in my phone

Peter1979

Jun 7, 2021
South West uk
Hi folks. What are people's experiences of the reliability of the heckler sl? My friend purchased one and within 20 days it has had to go back to the shop as the motor kept cutting out mid ride.
The shop have said they will need to send it away for repair and have given no indication of timescale.
Personally I feel this is pretty shoddy service and probably not what you'd expect from Santa Cruz. My friend is of the opinion he shouldn't push them too hard as it's not the shops fault. Apparently lack of stock meant they couldn't just swap for a new one.

akira

Dec 9, 2021
SanDiego
Hi folks. What are people's experiences of the reliability of the heckler sl? My friend purchased one and within 20 days it has had to go back to the shop as the motor kept cutting out mid ride.
The shop have said they will need to send it away for repair and have given no indication of timescale.
Personally I feel this is pretty shoddy service and probably not what you'd expect from Santa Cruz. My friend is of the opinion he shouldn't push them too hard as it's not the shops fault. Apparently lack of stock meant they couldn't just swap for a new one.
He should push the shop. I had a new drive unit approved from FAZUA in one day from submitting a claim. Took the approval to my Santa Cruz shop and the new drive unit arrived in a few business days. There does not seem to be any shortage of parts or drive units…but some shops make this process difficult for the customer.

Any drive unit can have issues. I’m happy with the Santa Cruz/ FAZUA response time and to get back riding when these things happen. Overall the bike is great. Really enjoy the ride.

cykelk

Subscriber
May 15, 2023
Cascadia
Agree with @akira that he should push the shop and ask them to include him on correspondence with Fazua. If the shop can't do that, file a ticket directly with Fazua. My experience is that Fazua is promptly responsive, but that's through the US distributor so YMMV. Sending it "away for repair" is a red flag IMO - it should be well within the shop's capability to swap a drive unit, and they should let him hold the bike while it's en route if he wants to.

duke209

Sep 23, 2021
Germany
Last DirtyRide this Year.
What i miss is a Shuttle Guard, like on my Bronson. I shuttle the Bikes over the Taligate on my midsize (european ;)) Truck with a Evoc Pad. (slightly slanted, because the roll cover shortened the bed/loading area). Btw: i need a RAM :D

After the first rides, the wrap/foil on the down tube was a little squashed. That's why I stuck SlapperTape as a guard, but it's too soft and deforms. A carbon guard would be nice, like the one from "Rockguardz"….

Bike is great. (y)

(sorry for my englisch)

IMG_7828.jpeg

IMG_7604.jpeg

Last edited:

BrandEZ_SL

Jan 7, 2024
Ontario
Thanks for another vote of confidence! I found this video that I think better captures what I hear with my bike.

It’s more the character that worried me than the volume. Sort of a “grind” type of sound. After all though the warranty is two years, so I’ll just stop obsessing and ride the snot out of it 😀 If Jenson team comes back with info worth sharing I’ll follow up.
So I have a few rides on mine now and this exact noise has started creeping in as well. I took a video and submitted a ticket to FAZUA tonight. Hopefully it’s straightforward to get it corrected. Build date on my motor was June 2023 if that means anything, I feel like there’s a batch of these that were affected as it appears to be more or less a lottery.

Have you had any issues since your DU was replaced?

Other than the noise this bike is nuts.

Canyon Shawn

Feb 4, 2023
Lake Sherwood, California
Taking your battery that low is a great way to trash the battery. If you stop using the batterty around 15% or so remaining you'll preserve battery life.
This isn’t true with today’s battery technology. You can take them to 0% and it doesn’t hurt them. In fact some companies recommend fully discharging the battery on the first use.

Last edited:

Daboss

Jan 17, 2021
Melbourne
think you've mixed that up with 12sec in overboost mode which is 450watts its always 60Nm, nominal power is 350watts all the time, until you hold the up, then get 450watts, would be nice to have 450watts all the time.

cykelk

Subscriber
May 15, 2023
Cascadia
So I have a few rides on mine now and this exact noise has started creeping in as well. I took a video and submitted a ticket to FAZUA tonight. Hopefully it’s straightforward to get it corrected. Build date on my motor was June 2023 if that means anything, I feel like there’s a batch of these that were affected as it appears to be more or less a lottery.

Have you had any issues since your DU was replaced?

Other than the noise this bike is nuts.
Replacement DU was refreshing to the ears. I’ve got 15 sloppy PNW rides (160 mi, 30k feet) on the new one with no issues so far, and I’m listening closely 😂

My original DU was produced May 2023, hardware version 2. New one produced September 2023, version 5, so seems like some rolling improvements are underway.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles