2022 Santa Cruz Heckler

Ushtang

Sep 14, 2020
USA

Silent Drone

Jan 23, 2022
Salt Lake City
Can you list what other parts besides the mech and chain you had to buy to install this on your Heckler?

The only non-SRAM part I’m using is a Wolftooth chainring, the Drop-Stop B 104 BCD 34T, which is made to be compatible with the new SRAM Transmission.

IMG_1139.jpg

I also replaced the OEM chainring bolts with Wolftooth ones. The OEM bolts are the old Shimano style that needs a special chainring bolt tool to remove the bolts, and which are not good because they strip easily. The Wolftooth bolts use two hex keys which is a much better design.

Everything else is the new SRAM: derailleur, cassette, chain and shifter pod. My LBS sold me one of their XO upgrade kits minus the cranks/BB.

If you don’t want the Wolftooth chainring, SRAM has a T-Type chainring with 104 BCD in their catalog, but my LBS didn’t know when they could get one so I decided to go with the Wolftooth because it’s available now.

IMG_0175.jpg

Ushtang

Sep 14, 2020
USA
The only non-SRAM part I’m using is a Wolftooth chainring, the Drop-Stop B 104 BCD 34T, which is made to be compatible with the new SRAM Transmission.

View attachment 110675

I also replaced the OEM chainring bolts with Wolftooth ones. The OEM bolts are the old Shimano style that needs a special chainring bolt tool to remove the bolts, and which are not good because they strip easily. The Wolftooth bolts use two hex keys which is a much better design.

Everything else is the new SRAM: derailleur, cassette, chain and shifter pod. My LBS sold me one of their XO upgrade kits minus the cranks/BB.

If you don’t want the Wolftooth chainring, SRAM has a T-Type chainring with 104 BCD in their catalog, but my LBS didn’t know when they could get one so I decided to go with the Wolftooth because it’s available now.

View attachment 110676
Great info! Thanks!

Rusty762

Apr 7, 2022
Monterey, CA
Mine sticks a bit during cold weather, but is fine otherwise so far.

But I finally lost the rubber plug for the charging port. Anyone know if that's replaceable?
I make a replacement plug, its $30 for a pair and I have had zero issues with mine been running it over a year since the original one broke off on my first ride and Santa Cruz had no replacements.

ccwilli3

Jun 2, 2020
Ladera Ranch, CA - USA
I like it, I’m tempted by it for sure, but my 2020 27.5 X01 RSV carbon wheel version is just like i like it. Who knows, a demo ride on the 2022 might change that. I agree with some of the comments above, to get carbon wheels as part of the kit, you gotta max out the spec and its missing a few things that a CC framed carbon wheeled bike should have IMO. Now just need to source a second 504Wh battery for my runs!
I totally caved and got a 2022 before end of last year. These 2 bikes are the same in name only, completely different riding experience…

Redlemon

Oct 30, 2021
Canada
What happened to the new heckler builds? Looks like Santa Cruz pulled them off of their site.

They have major compatibility issues with the new EP801 motor and the Darfon battery.

2 members on here posted their new Heckler and both got the same error on the first ride, you can easily find both threads on the first page of the Santa Cruz forum section.

Santa Cruz has no fix as of now so you're left with a useless bike for an unknown period of time, might as well stop selling them and pull them off from the site.

tabbibus

May 5, 2023
Atlanta, USA
They have major compatibility issues with the new EP801 motor and the Darfon battery.

2 members on here posted their new Heckler and both got the same error on the first ride, you can easily find both threads on the first page of the Santa Cruz forum section.

Santa Cruz has no fix as of now so you're left with a useless bike for an unknown period of time, might as well stop selling them and pull them off from the site.
Does the Bullit have the same issue?

DJ57UMP

Mar 13, 2021
England
Does make you think about Shimano and any other brands that use the Shimano platform and custom or non-shimano batteries.

For my two pence worth, it's why I came away from Shimano - they just don't seem to want to play with others

DJ57UMP

Mar 13, 2021
England
How do these incompatibility issues not arise in Santa Cruz QA?
I'm assuming there is a firmware update, probably with Shimano, that then means the two systems don't talk to each other.

I don't know software versions but I assume the Shimano motor ships with v1.3.15 that is compatible with the Defang battery. Then the shop or end user updates the system to say v1.4.1 and all of a sudden the motor won't talk to the battery.

Happens all the time with poor software development - and Shimano don't have a history of being helpful!

Druss

May 30, 2023
France
Greetings all,

I would like to get the new 29" Heckler and I have seen two this morning, the dark grey and avocado.
I wanted to take the available grey but seems that I have fall in love with the avocado one !
Is is "hard to clean" the mud on that "shiny" color ?

Beside that, my dealer told me that all available bikes come with EP800 and not E801.
Does it make a real difference ?

I do not see the new Heckler model (with Zeeb) on the official website, at least on the French one.

That being said, is it possible to get a new Heckler with 801, and yes which reference or production year / month should I look for ?

Finall, is it possible to add a Fast Suspesion Fenix Enduro ? Seems the tunnel is large enough !

Thanks !

JStrube

Sep 15, 2022
Atwater, CA
Ahh, someone is buying the avocado!

I bought in December, the bike before the troubles started. They have taken the ZEEB models off of the page in the US as well.

Druss

May 30, 2023
France
Yes; I should get it in about the two or next weeks.

I've choose to take a R in order to have an update budget.
Magura MT7 Pro will be placed on it and I'm thinking upfront about the front and rear shock.

Is it a good things to put a coil; like a Fast Suspension Fenix Pro, or a simple Ohlins TTX2, in order to improve the performance or will it "destroy" the cinematic ?

About the fork, any pro to move from a Lyric Select to a Fox 36 Factory or even an Ohlins 36 ?

I'm 78kg, riding more "mountain bike" than truelly enduro; with rocks; drops and some small jumps (around 50cm).

JStrube

Sep 15, 2022
Atwater, CA
I've barely had time to ride mine. I had lots of free time the first part of the year, but it rained every weekend, trails were slop. Hopefully as summer progresses. I like my Fox 36 Factory E.

Druss

May 30, 2023
France
Does one how tried so far a 170mm fork ?
Temptated to try a 170mm from Ohlins, RFX36, but I fear that it might be "too much".

erikulator

Jun 28, 2023
San Jose
Long time Santa Cruz bike owner, but can't believe they went with Shimano ebike equip. Poor reliability and outdated features. It doesn't just fit with SC premium branding. After researching I found that Bosch offers a better overall ebike package. So I bought a Crestline, which has a similar frame and suspension link design as SC but with Bosch equipment. It has a wireless remote, a fantastic screen, plus a much more reliable motor. Bosch is a tier 1 auto supplier so they have more experience and support than Shimano does.

If your cross shopping a top spec Heckler I suggest checking out the Crestline 50/75. It's rad!

EMTB Forums Crestline

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles