2022 Santa Cruz Heckler

Chiefworm

Dec 27, 2021
United Kingdom
Hi All!

I just picked up a 2022 Heckler MX, and I absolutely love it!

However, I’m noticing a couple things and thought I would write to see if someone to direct me. For one, the battery is not flush to the body, at the top where it latches. The gap lets water and sand/dirt inside of the battery cavity. Though I‘m not worried about the debris inside the cavity, I’m a little OCD about it. Also, it’s an expensive bike! The shop where I bought it seems to think it’s somewhat normal.

Second one, and this is probably happens across all brands. When I’m riding I hear a creaking inside the stem (I think). It’s gotten progressively worse. Is there a general maintenance thing I should be doing to prevent this?

Thank you!
I am the same in terms of OCD on the non-flush fit and having looked at a few other Hecklers all are the same that have had the new latch fitted. Doesn’t mean it’s right though. I have fitted adhesive D shaped rubber around the top of the battery and part way down the sides. This has stopped most of the mud and dirt getting in and you can’t see it so looks fine. I also fitted it on the cover for the motor as the gap there irritated me. I’m hoping Santa Cruz sort the battery gap issues and do another recall.
The creaking doesn’t sound right so I would get the shop to look at it.

Harry94025

Sep 18, 2022
SF Bay Area

mainsy

Sep 18, 2022
Scotland
I'm probably being stupid but how do you tell if you are in high or low setting on flip chip?
Plus how do you get bolt out? I can get chip out thread side but can't extract bolt to take chip out on hex side.
Thanks 🙂

Ou812

Jun 26, 2022
Fort William
Santa Cruz posted an instruction video and documentation for the battery latch rework:
Heckler 9 Installation of New Latch Spring Mechanism and Battery Wear Plate The important dimension is the bottom fitting to the latch; the cover fit is secondary…
Yep…that’s what his LBS got from SC too, they’ve basically said the battery fix looks like shit but it’s the best we could do. He sold the bike shortly after and bought a Yeti 160e, wasn’t too happy with that response.

Silent Drone

Jan 23, 2022
Salt Lake City
I'm probably being stupid but how do you tell if you are in high or low setting on flip chip?
Plus how do you get bolt out? I can get chip out thread side but can't extract bolt to take chip out on hex side.
Thanks

The chip is marked "Hi" and “Lo” on each end. When the marking is at top that’s the position it’s in. Here's a crappy pic that I took using the macro on my phone. It is easy to flip when you put the bike in a stand with the rear wheel removed and take the air out of the shock.

IMG_2834.jpg

mainsy

Sep 18, 2022
Scotland
The chip is marked "Hi" and “Lo” on each end. When the marking is at top that’s the position it’s in. Here's a crappy pic that I took using the macro on my phone. It is easy to flip when you put the bike in a stand with the rear wheel removed and take the air out of the shock.

View attachment 97992
Thanks for this.
Mine came set in the low position.
I was positive I read they came in the high setting.

FastFR

Apr 27, 2022
Nyon / Switzerland
Do you know if there is any improvement on deliveries in Europe ?

I’m actually riding the Yeti 160 E, which is perfect in term of my riding, but I’m very frustrated with the range of the 630W battery.

Because of that frustration I’m thinking of switching my 160E and my shortlist is:

Santa Cruz Heckler 29
or Scor 4060 Z LT

in term if price and delivery, the Scor is on the top of the list… but I still have this Heckler in my mind 😇

Desert_Turtle

Mar 1, 2022
Palmdale, CA
Has anyone tried a Float X2 on this bike? @Desert_Turtle I saw you had one installed. How does it ride? Is it the stock Fox tune or the SC tune?
I sold the bike in July or August. I liked it. The Heckler is one of the only EP8 powered bikes that I’d recommend to somebody. The X2 was an improvement over the stock shock but it wasn’t drastic. My X2 had a custom tune on it from Fluid Focus but it didn’t feel much different than a stock X2. If you’re not concerned about the expense go for it.

Silent Drone

Jan 23, 2022
Salt Lake City
I sold the bike in July or August. I liked it. The Heckler is one of the only EP8 powered bikes that I’d recommend to somebody. The X2 was an improvement over the stock shock but it wasn’t drastic. My X2 had a custom tune on it from Fluid Focus but it didn’t feel much different than a stock X2. If you’re not concerned about the expense go for it.

Thanks for the feedback. I’m curious as well. I’ve got an X2 on my bench that is a take off from my Ripmo V2 so it has their “traction tune”. Same size as the heckler shock, and I’ve wondered whether it’s worth the trouble to swap them out.

Desert_Turtle

Mar 1, 2022
Palmdale, CA
Honestly, I have a ton of stuff laying around so fitting something like that is usually not a problem. I just went through it with my fuel EXe. If you don’t have a lot of spares like I do it may require a trip to the bike shop….which is usually fun anyway. I guess it’s now a 1:05 job. It’s been a few months since I did the swap so I have no idea what I did.

Silent Drone

Jan 23, 2022
Salt Lake City
@Desert_Turtle @Silent Drone I just picked up an x2 and thought I could re-use the RS hardware. WRONG. I guess I need a 30mmx8mm roller bearing? Is that correct?

That’s what I was referring to. The shock is the same size but you need different mounting hardware. Changing the hardware is quick and easy if you have a bushing tool, like this:

IMG_0084.jpg

And you also need the correct hardware, of course. SC says you need a 30x8 standard bushing in the front and 30x8 roller bearing in the rear:

IMG_0080.png

I don’t have the hardware so I haven’t taken the time to fiddle with swapping it, plus I think the stock super deluxe on this bike is pretty good. I’m not convinced that the X2 is going to be a significant improvement.

ramoes

Sep 26, 2022
Southern California
That’s what I was referring to. The shock is the same size but you need different mounting hardware. Changing the hardware is quick and easy if you have a bushing tool, like this:

View attachment 99742

And you also need the correct hardware, of course. SC says you need a 30x8 standard bushing in the front and 30x8 roller bearing in the rear:

View attachment 99743

I don’t have the hardware so I haven’t taken the time to fiddle with swapping it, plus I think the stock super deluxe on this bike is pretty good. I’m not convinced that the X2 is going to be a significant improvement.

You are correct sir. I just tried the X2, didnt like it. I love it on my Ripmo v2, but on the Heckler it felt more chattery and wayy less poppy. Strangely, I felt like it had more traction (not sure if that makes sense). I'm going back to the Rockshox shock.

Silent Drone

Jan 23, 2022
Salt Lake City
You are correct sir. I just tried the X2, didnt like it. I love it on my Ripmo v2, but on the Heckler it felt more chattery and wayy less poppy. Strangely, I felt like it had more traction (not sure if that makes sense). I'm going back to the Rockshox shock.

On my V2 I replaced the X2 with a Float X. I also replaced the Assegais with DHF/DHRII, pushing the bike more towards a long trail style bike. I like the float x paired with the fox 36 on the Ripmo. It suits my riding style well. I found the X2 to be a little too plush, a little too soft.

Silent Drone

Jan 23, 2022
Salt Lake City
All this talk, so I swung by the shop and picked up the shock mounting hardware, and did this….

Before, with Ripmo hardware installed

IMG_0086.jpg

After, with SC hardware

IMG_0089.jpg

On the bike…

IMG_0091.jpg

It looks good, lol. It’s a little easier to measure travel for set up because you can see the stanchion, but it’s still too cramped to get my calipers in there to measure.

Anyway, took it for a quick test and it feels good. A little more plush and less poppy than the super deluxe, but the X2 has so many adjustment options that I might be able to dial that out of it. We’ll see. The squishy sound it makes is very noticeable. I wonder if it might have some air in it or something else because it sat unused for about 6 months.I

TOLM

Mar 20, 2022
Vsmcouver. BC
New heckler owner here. (heckler nine, manufactured feb 2022 I thing) Overall happy with the bike, except a strong battery rattle during the first ride. I understand there was a recall for a latch or something for this. Took the bike back to the dealer who said they adjusted the latch mechanism and nothing else they can do.. like they moved the top battery latch thing to the specked 409mm between the two mounts. Kinda helped but battery still moves a little. And same with others here, unequal gap between the frame and plastic battery cover.. pretty big gap closer to head tube. Dealer said safe to ride… but I was not sure about that. They asked they will talk to manufacturer (asked to return the bike to get this offer to speak to SC.. and they would not even consider taking the bike back) and I received a call yesterday from the dealer that Santa Cruz changed something in the frame and that new front triangle is going my way lol (bike is half a ride old.. had to stop riding to bring the bike to the dealer straight from the maiden voyage) Hopefully to be received in the next few days. Apart from the bike needing a new front triangle which kinda bugs me given the price of the thing.. question for you

Do you guys know what exactly was changed in the frame?

I personally see couple problems with mycurrent setup:

-Top latch mount needs be couple mils lower to allow flush battery cover installation in the frame.

-Mechanism itself has some play, the lower spring is not strong enough to hold the battery without movement

In case this was a used bike that I got for cheap, I would simple grind the base of the top latch piece reducing base height by couple mils. This should solve both issues with battery cover pressed against the frame would prevent battery movement. Now unsure about the new triangle..

Thank you!

Ou812

Jun 26, 2022
Fort William
New heckler owner here. (heckler nine, manufactured feb 2022 I thing) Overall happy with the bike, except a strong battery rattle during the first ride. I understand there was a recall for a latch or something for this. Took the bike back to the dealer who said they adjusted the latch mechanism and nothing else they can do.. like they moved the top battery latch thing to the specked 409mm between the two mounts. Kinda helped but battery still moves a little. And same with others here, unequal gap between the frame and plastic battery cover.. pretty big gap closer to head tube. Dealer said safe to ride… but I was not sure about that. They asked they will talk to manufacturer (asked to return the bike to get this offer to speak to SC.. and they would not even consider taking the bike back) and I received a call yesterday from the dealer that Santa Cruz changed something in the frame and that new front triangle is going my way lol (bike is half a ride old.. had to stop riding to bring the bike to the dealer straight from the maiden voyage) Hopefully to be received in the next few days. Apart from the bike needing a new front triangle which kinda bugs me given the price of the thing.. question for you

Do you guys know what exactly was changed in the frame?

I personally see couple problems with mycurrent setup:

-Top latch mount needs be couple mils lower to allow flush battery cover installation in the frame.

-Mechanism itself has some play, the lower spring is not strong enough to hold the battery without movement

In case this was a used bike that I got for cheap, I would simple grind the base of the top latch piece reducing base height by couple mils. This should solve both issues with battery cover pressed against the frame would prevent battery movement. Now unsure about the new triangle..

Thank you!
Looks like they finally came up with a fix, just sucks that it’s a whole new front triangle. I had a friend that was pissed about his, his had that huge gap after he had the battery latch recall done. He went back and forth with SC over it and was told that’s just how it is. He ended up getting a refund from the shop he bought the bike from them went with a different brand. His was fine until the recall so I’m guessing they changed the latching mechanism then realised they couldn’t make it work without that massive gap.

TOLM

Mar 20, 2022
Vsmcouver. BC
A bit of a crazy question. I do pedal without assist once in a while. I was thinking to move from 34T front chainring to 32T.

Question pls: do I just get one with 96bcd?

Thank you!

Picked my 2022 Heckler CC MX Carbon Reserve up last week...this bike has been my obsession since late 2021, but couldn't get one during the pandemic so I bought the Norco Sight VLT last April instead and enjoyed it all summer. So many firsts for me: a CC spec frame, mullet bike, etc. Only two rides in the wet so far, but a great first impression.
heckler-stand.jpg

Observations:
  • What a playful, fun bike. This thing feels like my Bronson on downhills. But it has a motor!
  • Fit and finish is, as always, excellent
  • Battery & compartment design seems excellent. The dealer fixed the known warranty issue before I got the bike. But having the battery hinge out like that provides easy access to cables and such.
  • This build shipped with I9 hubs so I finally get that SOUND when freewheeling :)
  • The Fox 36 Factory & Shock are excellent. I have them on my Norco so that's no surprise.
  • I'm glad I waited to get the 720WH battery. I do 18-20 mile rides in the Sierras pretty regularly in the Summer, and I've been spoiled with the Norco's 900wh battery up there.
Some small quirks:
  • Dropper post length is a problem for me on the XL MX. I love the Fox Transfer (have one on my Bronson), but it won't insert into the frame enough to accommodate my shorter (30") inseam. So for now I'm manually adjusting it down on rides but will replace it with a OneUp next week. That gets me 10mm more travel, in a shorter overall post. I hate to give up the Fox, but this is something that needs to fit.
  • The dropper build was a bit problematic at first. The shop kinked the housing and cable, and frayed & improperly torqued the bolt on the end so I had to do an emergency cable replace before the first ride. This has happened on other bikes in the past.
  • AXS is, frankly, a pain. As much as I appreciate the crisp shifting, taking the battery off and not being able to use AXS' most compelling feature (continuous shifting) on eBikes makes it a bit less compelling to me.
I got to take a nice long inaugural ride in...Santa Cruz! A friend with a Heckler towed me 18 miles through various parks, with a nice reward down Mailboxes mid-loop. I almost didn't mind the rain and mud! Looking forward to more adventures on this thing!

heckler-garage.jpg

Ou812

Jun 26, 2022
Fort William
Picked my 2022 Heckler CC MX Carbon Reserve up last week...this bike has been my obsession since late 2021, but couldn't get one during the pandemic so I bought the Norco Sight VLT last April instead and enjoyed it all summer. So many firsts for me: a CC spec frame, mullet bike, etc. Only two rides in the wet so far, but a great first impression.
View attachment 102818

Observations:
  • What a playful, fun bike. This thing feels like my Bronson on downhills. But it has a motor!
  • Battery & compartment design seems excellent. The dealer fixed the known warranty issue before I got the bike. But having the battery hinge out like that provides easy access to cables and such.
  • This build shipped with I9 hubs so I finally get that SOUND when freewheeling :)
  • The Fox 36 Factory & Shock are excellent. I have them on my Norco so that's no surprise.
  • I'm glad I waited to get the 720WH battery. I do 18-20 mile rides in the Sierras pretty regularly in the Summer, and I've been spoiled with the Norco's 900wh battery up there.
Some small quirks:
  • Dropper post length is a problem for me on the XL MX. I love the Fox Transfer (have one on my Bronson), but it won't insert into the frame enough to accommodate my shorter (30") inseam. So for now I'm manually adjusting it down on rides but will replace it with a OneUp next week. That gets me 10mm more travel, in a shorter overall post. I hate to give up the Fox, but this is something that needs to fit.
  • The dropper build was a bit problematic at first. The shop kinked the housing and cable, and frayed & improperly torqued the bolt on the end so I had to do an emergency cable replace before the first ride. This has happened on other bikes in the past.
  • AXS is, frankly, a pain. As much as I appreciate the crisp shifting, taking the battery off and not being able to use AXS' most compelling feature (continuous shifting) on eBikes makes it a bit less compelling to me.
I got to take a nice long inaugural ride in...Santa Cruz! A friend with a Heckler towed me 18 miles through various parks, with a nice reward down Mailboxes mid-loop. I almost didn't mind the rain and mud! Looking forward to more adventures on this thing!

View attachment 102817
30in inseam on an XL?! Are your arms like 10ft long🤣😂 I have a 30in inseam at 5’7 but I ride either small or medium bikes depending on the brand.

Rusty762

Apr 7, 2022
Monterey, CA
View attachment 102818

Observations:
Some small quirks:

View attachment 102817
Sweet ride, I have a Fox transfer 170 in my Large MX and as much as I love Fox I am changing mine over to the PNW Loam dropper. I can run their 200 and their tool less adjustment and reliability are top notch. Just thought you might want to check them out. I have sent my Fox transfer back to them twice now and am done.

RustyIron

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Jun 5, 2021
La Habra, California

I'm jealous. My 2021 is rockin' the 504.

Manuals and FAQs are written for the average goombah. Good thing you came here to get advice from us above-average goombahs.

1. Don't take the battery off. That's nonsense. I'll take mine off if I'm going to be driving for four or more hours at the beginning of a multi-day trip. But otherwise, the battery stays on for weeks at a time with no ill effects.

2. The warning against multi-shifts is for those people who don't know how to shift. For the upshift, mine is set for continuous. For the downshift, I have it set for 2x. If I set it to continuous, it's too fast for me to keep up.

I'm jealous. My 2021 is rockin' the 504.

Manuals and FAQs are written for the average goombah. Good thing you came here to get advice from us above-average goombahs.

1. Don't take the battery off. That's nonsense. I'll take mine off if I'm going to be driving for four or more hours at the beginning of a multi-day trip. But otherwise, the battery stays on for weeks at a time with no ill effects.

2. The warning against multi-shifts is for those people who don't know how to shift. For the upshift, mine is set for continuous. For the downshift, I have it set for 2x. If I set it to continuous, it's too fast for me to keep up.
Thanks for the tips. I have AXS on another bike, and used to keep the battery on...until a few months in and the bumps indeed did drain a couple of batteries on me.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles