2022 Santa Cruz Heckler

JetSetDemo

🍦Two Scoops🍦
Patreon
Apr 1, 2018
Ashby de la Zouch
Looks great, probably better for my style of riding than my Bullet. The increase in battery as well as the other changes are spot on. Wonder what I can get for my bullet XT and 2x630w battery’s

Last edited:

sgtcurry

Apr 27, 2021
Houston, Tx
Spec for top end is actually quite underwhelming. For $13,299 it didnt come with the AXS dropper post and the reserve wheels only have the 1/1 hubs. I also thought it would have the Float X factory instead of the super deluxe. I think they would have been better off using the GX AXS, Hydra Hubs, instead of going to X01 AXS. The GX AXS vs X01 AXS kit seems to be a poor value, quick googling and the difference in price should be $1550 at most instead its $2300. I have the X01 AXS on order but I think I might need to change it to the GX AXS sell the fork, shock, wheels, dropper post. Also didnt check with my dealer if they ordered 29er or MX.

Wintyfresh

Dec 14, 2021
Ramona, CA
So I bought my 2021 in late December and was afraid of having massive FOMO about the new model, but I'm actually super glad I did. While I'd love to have the geometry changes and flip chip, what attracted me most to my current bike was the weight (44 lbs with pedals). I was strongly considering an Orbea Rise but really wanted a full fat motor, at 48 lbs I'm not sure I would've given the Heckler a hard look. I understand a lot of that is battery weight, but most of my rides are fine on the 504Wh and I've got a second to swap in when needed.

The new one is still a lovely bike that's going to make a lot of people happy, but I'm stoked on the old one.

Richwall

Jan 15, 2021
Uk

mehukatti

Apr 25, 2020
Finland
What is cool about the new Heckler is that you should be able to upgrade it to 835Wh next year since that has exactly the same dimensions (410 x 88.4 x 74mm) as the 720Wh: eBike Battery - All -eBike Battery-DARFON
Of course assuming that you can find a dealer who sells them aftermarket.

Edit: My mistake, the Heckler is using older Darfon 720Wh E4C0G, which is not physically compatible with their newer batteries.

Last edited:

mehukatti

Apr 25, 2020
Finland
Am I right in saying that it’s a non-shimano 720whr battery that still fits the shimano mounts?

It doesn't seem to be a Shimano mount from what I can see:

delme.png

Last edited:

Bencab

Feb 13, 2020
California
Speaking of Scor - would like to see a back to back review/test of the Scor and Heckler. Same motor and battery with Scor couple of thousands cheaper.

DJ57UMP

Mar 13, 2021
England
Speaking of Scor - would like to see a back to back review/test of the Scor and Heckler. Same motor and battery with Scor couple of thousands cheaper.

The Scor looks like it's more inline with the Bullet than the Heckler looking at its numbers.

Coolcmsc

Oct 29, 2019
U.K.
Your dealer and/or Darfon.
In the U.K. it’s the shop (same as dealer in US I’m guessing) - it’s where you bought it from. I’ll get lots of comments saying I’m wrong and they’ll quote their experiences. But what follows is how the law works here. If the shop and the customer choose a different route, that’s one thing. But consumer law is as follows for general consumer rights and guarantees on products sold as a ‘thing’, however many manufacturers are involved in the parts.

Think how a broken washing machine under guarantee is dealt with to get the idea. An e-bike is a washing machine - both have a motor 🤣

There are other additional protections regarding sending a product back relating to purchase method. I’m not referring to that.

The bike purchaser has a contractual relationship with the shop for the whole bike - so that’s all the parts of it.
The shop has a contractual relationship with the distributor of the whole bike.
The distributor has a contractual relationship with the manufacturer of the whole bike.

If the shop chooses to discuss a broken specific part (eg fox fork) with the fork distributor (Silverfish) rather than the whole bike distributor, that’s up to them. If Silverfish engage in that, they will have to consider whether or not to engage with Fox (all will be decided in the contract), which, again, is up to them. In these latter instances, it may suit those mentioned financially due to associated costs to have contractual direct relationships for certain parts. The best example of this for e-bikes is the motors. A more grey area for a distributor and shop might be a newish undamaged stuck (‘cos it’s ’frayed’ and ‘swollen’ in the brake fluid) plastic piston in a new SRAM Code R lever, But contract law isn’t grey on this matter either.

But none of that can be forced on the person who bought the bike form the shop - whatever may be said.

Last edited:

Bigmatt05

Jul 10, 2021
Chico
The only reason I would sell my 2021 and get this new version is the 29er wheel size. My type of riding I like a 29er

greengenes

Jan 14, 2021
uk
I couldn't envisage paying a premium price for a brand that thinks its acceptable to instal a charging point cover on the new Heckler that in all likelihood would have a lifetime less than the stopper on my washing up bottle.

Dec 18, 2019
UK
Ok, the Darfon battery mounts are different to Shimano and they're different battery sizes, so they're not interchangeable.
Shimano have a new agreement with a couple of independent battery manufacturers and give full warranty cover on them.

Mungalot

Apr 5, 2021
Moon
Where is the group of peoples desks that make all these different damn standards with bikes, plugs and batteries, Let me know and I will let my mafia syndicate take care of it. Quit F in around and let’s make a deal esseee

ccwilli3

Jun 2, 2020
Ladera Ranch, CA - USA
I like it, I’m tempted by it for sure, but my 2020 27.5 X01 RSV carbon wheel version is just like i like it. Who knows, a demo ride on the 2022 might change that. I agree with some of the comments above, to get carbon wheels as part of the kit, you gotta max out the spec and its missing a few things that a CC framed carbon wheeled bike should have IMO. Now just need to source a second 504Wh battery for my runs!

Bigmatt05

Jul 10, 2021
Chico
I agree with ccwilli3. I have looked all over the west coast for a heckler 29 r build in xxl. Even contacted Santa Cruz to see what dealership may have one coming or in stock. No help. So I have my 2021 setup the way I like it. I’ll keep on riding what I’ve got.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles