Rise - which display to go with?

BobR

Apr 14, 2021
Florida
With the Shimano app only telling me how many of 5 bars of battery I have and the fact that I use my phone w/Trailforks when I am riding I want more data available to me.
The Shimano display for the handlebars, SC-EM800 or a Garmin?

The EM800 is hard to find and I do not know anything about Garmins but I am getting the impression that for around the same price or closes a Garmin will give me a lot more features.

Which Garmin works with the Rise that makes sense for us Mountian Bikers?

chrismechmaster

Subscriber
Dec 7, 2020
Newbury
Garmin is perfect I have 830

I don’t bother using the orbea rs as could never get it working on the Garmin

I just use the standard ebike screen

it’s easy to set up and change fields depending on what you want

as soon as I turn the bike on and Garmin it pair instantly and works perfect all day

massive battery life and can move it from bike to bike

and you have navigation too of course

when I got my rise I looked into these displays and a garmin IMO is a no brainer far more info

chrismechmaster

Subscriber
Dec 7, 2020
Newbury
Example of my current info I have displayed
278A906B-8012-4BFA-BB05-62B2FAB26AE7.png

RickBullotta

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jun 5, 2019
USA
With the Shimano app only telling me how many of 5 bars of battery I have and the fact that I use my phone w/Trailforks when I am riding I want more data available to me.
The Shimano display for the handlebars, SC-EM800 or a Garmin?

The EM800 is hard to find and I do not know anything about Garmins but I am getting the impression that for around the same price or closes a Garmin will give me a lot more features.

Which Garmin works with the Rise that makes sense for us Mountian Bikers?

The only issue with the Garmin Rise integration is that (AFAIK) there are issues getting the range and speed to display in statute measures (miles/MPH). If anyone has solved this riddle, let me know.

BobR

Apr 14, 2021
Florida
Come to think of it, why wouldn't the Orbea Toolbox software come as an app for iPhone/Andriod and most of us would not need to purchase either display? Is that on the horizon and I can just use that money for my new carbon 165 cranks???

Bigkatoomer

Feb 25, 2021
Surrey, England
I have a garmin 530 (The non-touchscreen version of Chris' 830). You can get a £5 mount for the top of the steerer tube, so it keeps the clean look.

Benefits over a display:
  • I'd still use the Garmin IN ADDITION to the display so would be doubling up with clutter
  • It tracks your ride in Garmin, and in Strava - If you don't already use those, you may in the future
  • It thus tracks distance travelled, elevation, assistance levels throughout the ride, battery used, route, speed, average speed, heart rate (if paired with a chest strap or garmin watch), cadence, incline, segment performance, realtime assist level, assist mode, battery remaining percentage, travel range, timer, clock.....
  • It shows you messages from your phone without having to get your phone out
  • It tracks jumps, including speed, distance travelled and 'hang time' and dangerously (if you're competitive) awards a score!
  • It's transferrable to my road bike
  • It has trails and navigation including bike parks.
  • It's normally heavily discounted through private health insurance if you have it.
Negatives:
It would likely fare worse in a crash than the display as it's mounted higher
You have to charge it every few rides

RickBullotta

Jun 5, 2019
USA
Come to think of it, why wouldn't the Orbea Toolbox software come as an app for iPhone/Andriod and most of us would not need to purchase either display? Is that on the horizon and I can just use that money for my new carbon 165 cranks???

Because some of the data is only available via a private ANT+ interface, not bluetooth.

RickBullotta

Jun 5, 2019
USA
I have a garmin 530 (The non-touchscreen version of Chris' 830). You can get a £5 mount for the top of the steerer tube, so it keeps the clean look.

Benefits over a display:
  • I'd still use the Garmin IN ADDITION to the display so would be doubling up with clutter
  • It tracks your ride in Garmin, and in Strava - If you don't already use those, you may in the future
  • It thus tracks distance travelled, elevation, assistance levels throughout the ride, battery used, route, speed, average speed, heart rate (if paired with a chest strap or garmin watch), cadence, incline, segment performance, realtime assist level, assist mode, battery remaining percentage, travel range, timer, clock.....
  • It shows you messages from your phone without having to get your phone out
  • It tracks jumps, including speed, distance travelled and 'hang time' and dangerously (if you're competitive) awards a score!
  • It's transferrable to my road bike
  • It has trails and navigation including bike parks.
  • It's normally heavily discounted through private health insurance if you have it.
Negatives:
It would likely fare worse in a crash than the display as it's mounted higher
You have to charge it every few rides

Some additional positives:

- Slightly lower energy consumption on your bike's battery
- Customizable display(s) for each activity type

Some additional negatives:

- Horrible user interface that is difficult/dangerous to use while riding
- Needs to be charged separately
- Can't respond to texts or answer calls (versus something like an Apple Watch) if an iOS user
- AFAIK still can't display miles/MPH using the Orbea Rise Toolbox - only km/kph

Gyre

Jan 25, 2021
Pasadena, CA
Garmin is absolutely the way to go., especially when talking about features. Edge 530 or 830 (I have both, I think the 530 is a safer choice IMHO because the touchscreen can be a hassle.) The edge remote is fantastic- you can easily switch pages and keep your hands on the bars. The best use case for the 830 is if you want to navigate to arbitrary locations without a pre-saved route.

The Garmin UI is simply awful and you’re only going to get used to it with practice. They also get confused from time to time and have to be rebooted. Still, when it comes to collecting and presenting data and third party support, they’re hard to beat.

RickBullotta

Jun 5, 2019
USA
Garmin is absolutely the way to go., especially when talking about features. Edge 530 or 830 (I have both, I think the 530 is a safer choice IMHO because the touchscreen can be a hassle.) The edge remote is fantastic- you can easily switch pages and keep your hands on the bars. The best use case for the 830 is if you want to navigate to arbitrary locations without a pre-saved route.

The Garmin UI is simply awful and you’re only going to get used to it with practice. They also get confused from time to time and have to be rebooted. Still, when it comes to collecting and presenting data and third party support, they’re hard to beat.

I've settled on the combo of an Apple Watch 4 for Strava + a SC-EM800 for most of my eMTB rides, since I don't need navigation.

For my regular MTB and my gravel bike, I just use the Apple Watch/Strava for tracking and stats.

I'll be using the Garmin 830 for longer rides on new trail systems and for longer races where getting off course could be a bad thing.

b33k34

Apr 15, 2021
UK
Is there a e-bike app for the Garmin 130? Simple black and white display, smaller and cheaper than the 5/830

Gyre

Jan 25, 2021
Pasadena, CA
Is there a e-bike app for the Garmin 130? Simple black and white display, smaller and cheaper than the 5/830
Edge 130 does not support Connect IQ, and I'm presuming the e-bike fields come from a Connect IQ app.

Edge 130 Plus is said to support Connect IQ, though I don't know if all the apps that run on the 530/830 twins will also run on the 130 Plus.

I do have a (non-Plus) 130. I really wanted to like it because I thought the size and weight was ideal, but it just feels very slow, stripped down without a map, and it burns through its battery too fast. The 130 Plus apparently has even shorter battery life.

I'm not saying the 130 Plus won't work for you, but I'd consider the 530 to be a comfortable "no-brainer" choice if you can tolerate the UI and occasional need to reboot. If you're serious about the 130, maybe try to borrow one for a day or two before pulling the trigger.

Bigtuna00

Nov 27, 2019
CA
I didn't see it mentioned, but the shimano displays don't add any more granularity than the 5 battery bars, so that won't help you.

I bought an SC-E7000 thinking it would be the most convenient as it plugs right in with no adapters. But since I ride with my phone on the bars already, and the app displays the info in a more convenient fashion, I don't think I'm going to use it in the end.

b33k34

Apr 15, 2021
UK
From dcrainmaker
The 130 (which I already own) “supports Connect IQ apps, but only of the data field variety. Meaning, it won’t support the more demanding full blown apps that operate independently of a given sport mode. But it can use the Connect IQ data field type to allow you to gather data from various sensors (or just have unique data fields).”

I don’t find it slow and [ime} maps and nav on Garmin is a waste of time. I find the 130 perfect for recording rides andin ride info. Seems the display would be enough for motor data too. They’re only data fields like cadenceas far as I can see

DanMcDan

Mar 18, 2021
Torquay
I’m running the RS toolbox on a Garmin 520, all working ok but I and trying to decide whether or not to switch out my old Garmin Instinct watch for a newer fenix that can use the RS toolbox.

BobR

Apr 14, 2021
Florida
I use trail forks... it has a great UI and on my phone I can pinch to zoom so my old eyes can see it. I can log on with my computer to plan my next big adventure. Can I do all that with Garmin? And it has all the mtb trails like trail forks?

Gyre

Jan 25, 2021
Pasadena, CA
From dcrainmaker
The 130 (which I already own) “supports Connect IQ apps, but only of the data field variety. Meaning, it won’t support the more demanding full blown apps that operate independently of a given sport mode. But it can use the Connect IQ data field type to allow you to gather data from various sensors (or just have unique data fields).”
Thanks for the correction.

@BobR - 530/830 can incorporate a Trailforks database. It might be a ConnectIQ app. I'm sure the user experience won't be as smooth as you get on a phone and I bet the cyclecomputer map lags behind the Trailforks website map, but it's cool that they have it at all.

RickBullotta

Jun 5, 2019
USA
Trailforks on Garmin is actually quite cool. Very passive - it just works and kinda knows what trail you’re on.

Also, now that the units issue with the Orbea RS Toolbox for Garmin has been fixed, it’s a more viable choice.

BobR

Apr 14, 2021
Florida
So the 530 or the 830 is the way I should go and I can put my phone away because I can still get my Trailforks... what about the cadence and heartbeat monitor? I would assume I don’t need the Garmin cadence monitor since there is one for the EP8... assuming the Orbea toolbox leverages that one, correct?

BobR

Apr 14, 2021
Florida
Can I connect with two Orbea Rise via the Orbea toolbox on either the 530 or the 630? My wife is getting one too!

Bigtuna00

Nov 27, 2019
CA
I just discovered the ST Ride app (from the same guy that makes ST Unlocker). It's perfect for us non-Garmin folks, I think. You get battery percentage and all the motor stats. Really nice, well worth the $2.50. Way better than Shimano E-Ride. The only thing it's really lacking is customization of the display layout, but there's a 2x2 format that's good for us with bad eyes that has mode, cadence, battery, and heartrate.

BobR

Apr 14, 2021
Florida
I just discovered the ST Ride app (from the same guy that makes ST Unlocker). It's perfect for us non-Garmin folks, I think. You get battery percentage and all the motor stats. Really nice, well worth the $2.50. Way better than Shimano E-Ride. The only thing it's really lacking is customization of the display layout, but there's a 2x2 format that's good for us with bad eyes that has mode, cadence, battery, and heartrate.
How are you getting heart rate? Apple Watch or something similar?

Bigtuna00

Nov 27, 2019
CA
How are you getting heart rate? Apple Watch or something similar?
I'm actually not using it, but I do have a Wahoo HRM that I've used before via Bluetooth with Strava and Fit. I *assume* it will work with ST Ride but I really have no plans to use a HRM again.

BobR

Apr 14, 2021
Florida
When I go out to the Garmin site the only two apps I want have terrible ratings on their site... Orbea Toolbox and Trailforks and their lack of a clean integration.... is this a PICNIC (problem in chair not in computer) or is it truly an app issue?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles