Orbea Rise - Shimano SC-E7000 Display Installation

Moots YBB

Dec 18, 2018
Brussels
Thank you, I appreciate the kind comments. I started posting the tech articles because I figured others were having the same problems I was having on my Rise. My next Rise tech article will be brake modifications. That's funny about the 8000 display, I did the very same thing. I special ordered the display from my local bike shop and couldn't get it to work. I didn't know there was a difference in displays. The numbering was confusing. Luckily my bike shop took it back. I managed to get my hands on a E7000 display before they all sold out. Everything SRAM and Shimano related is sold out in the USA. I would have preferred an EM800, it has a slightly larger screen which makes it easier to read while riding. My buddy obtained his EM800 from Germany also. If you ever have questions on a modification or gear item, shoot me a message.

Be safe,
Rod
i only found the post with additional details about the EM800 now, i would merge them , or add a pointer from the first to the second

czech99

Apr 5, 2023
US
bumping this. anyone with a rise 2022 install this? is it basically plug in play? unplug the junction box and reuse those cables for the e7000?

Rod B.

Aug 18, 2021
USA, Orange County Ca.
bumping this. anyone with a rise 2022 install this? is it basically plug in play? unplug the junction box and reuse those cables for the e7000?
czech99,

The SC-E7000 display installation procedures are the same for any 2022 Rise which came from the factory with a EW-EN100 junction box.

Let me explain further:

1) Shimano uses two types of wires for its eBike systems. They are the older style SD50 wire used in older eBike systems such as the E7000 and E8000 motors. Newer systems such as the EP8 motor use the newer style SD300 wire.

2) The older style SD50 wire is considerably thicker than the newer style and much thinner SD300 wire. SD50 connection leads are totally different than the newer style SD300 wire connections.

3) Shimano has designed its eBike systems and components so that they only accept either a SD50 wire connection or a SD300 wire connection. As an example, a SC-E7000 computer display will only accept SD50 wire connections. A SC-EM800 computer display will only accept a SD300 wire connection.

4) The EW-EN100 junction box will only accept SD50 wire connections.

5) The EP8 motor uses a SD300 motor control wire. To lower costs, Orbea decided to use a EW-EN100 junction box on some Rise models that didn’t come with a computer display.Therefore, to use the EW-EN100 junction box, Orbea had to convert the SD300 motor control wire to an SD50 wire which can then plug into the junction box.. Orbea did this by installing an EW-AD305 adapter, located inside the down tube where it meets the head tube.

The SD300 motor control wire plugs into one side of the adapter and a small length of SD50 wire plugs into the other side of the adapter. The SD50 wire exits out the head tube and plugs into the EW-EN100 junction box.

5) For 2022-2022 Rise models, Orbea uses two types of mode controller switches. Which one your Rise has will depend on if your Rise came with a EW-EN100 junction box or SC-EM800 computer display. If your bike came with a EW-EN100 junction box it will have come with a SW-E7000 mode control switch which is hardwired with a SD50 wire. The SD50 wire then plugs directly into the EW-EN100 junction box. If your Rise came with the SC-EM800 display, it will have come with a SW-EM800 mode control switch which is hardwired with a SD-300 wire. The SD300 wire plugs directly into the back of the display.

Note: If your Rise came with a SC-EM800 display, then an EW-305 adapter is not used. Instead, the SD300 motor control wire travels directly up the down tube and exits out the head tube where it plugs directly into the back of the SC-EM800 display.

Lastly, whether your bike is a Rise Carbon or Rise Hydro, the model year isn’t important. What is important is if your Rise came with a EW-EN100 junction box and thus accepts only SD50 wire. The SC-E7000 display only accepts SD50 wire connections. Therefor, if you buy a SC-E7000, you simply unplug the EW-EN100 junction box and remove it. You plug the wire lead coming from out of the head tube into the back of the display. You plug the SD50 mode control switch into the back of the display and you’re good to go. Very plug and play.

I would like to add one more point for those interested in knowing. The EP8’s wiring system is an enclosed loop system. If there’s a break, i.e. lack of connection or severed wire anywhere in the the wiring system, the bike will not work. As an example, if the wired connection to the power control button disconnects, the bike will fault code and not work. If the rear wheel speed sensor wire disconnects from the motor, the system will fault code and not work. If the range extender cable is not fully plugged into the range extender and frame port, i.e. dirt or debris blocking the connection, bike will not work or stop working while riding.

The same enclosed wiring loop also applies to the computer display or the junction box. The EP8’s motor’s SD300 wire travels up and plugs into the display or junction box. The mode control switch is used to select Boost, Trail, or Eco mode. The mode control switch wire plugs into the junction box or display to form a loop. If either the mode control wire or the SD300 motor control wire disconnects, the bike will fault code and not work.

If your Rise stops working, 99% of the time it will be a loose wire connection. When this occurs, I’ve found the cause to be one of the following, starting with the most common cause:

1) Mode or motor control wire unplugged/loose at the display or junction box. Unplug and re-connect.

2) SD300 motor control wire or SD50 wire unplugged/pulled out of the EW-AD305 adapter, located in a foam pad and tucked inside the down tube where it meets the head tube. Must drop the fork to check connection. Unplug wires and reconnect.

3) The main wiring harness plug is not an air tight sealed unit. It plugs into the internal frame battery. If water enters, and or, moisture builds up in the plug connection port at the battery, power will be lost. Note this will typically occur after a ride and you wash your bike off. The next day you go to ride and the bike won’t power up. To fix, drop motor and disconnect from bike. Turn bike upside down for easier access to the battery connection port. Remove harness plug at battery. Clean out battery wiring harness plug and battery connection port with electrical connection cleaner. Note, I was told specifically that Shimano does not recommend the use of dielectric electrical connection grease on wiring connections.

4) When using a battery range extender. If bike will not power up, or stops mid ride, the reason will be a loose cable connection at the range extender battery or frame charging port. Remove the range extender cable. Ensure connection ports to the battery and charging port are free of debris by blowing out with your breath and or wiping down the cable/ports. Re-insert the cable into the ports insuring that the cable leads are fully clipped into the ports.

I hope this helps you out.

Be safe,
Rod

Last edited:

Killswitch73

Sep 15, 2018
West Midlands
Just upgraded my Missis M10 with the E7000 and she loves it. It was plug and play. Didn’t even need updating. Profile 1 and 2 there to choose.

My only issue is that I had to move the handlebar remote to the inside of the XT brakes instead of being next the grip. Just waiting on the official shimano rubber bands from SGS.

She hated not knowing what mode or what speed she was going as she uses Strava but her phone is in her pocket. Saves me buying a garmin lol ..

Mike Lebediev

Apr 13, 2024
California
hi, I have an Orbea Rise M10 and yesterday I installed a Shimano E7000, I don’t know why but there is no bluetooth in the menu. My phone also doesn't find Bluetooth. help me please!

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles