Which replacement cable do I need? E7000 display

theremotejuggernaut

Aug 2, 2022
UK
Had a random switching off issue at the weekend. Rise H30 2021.

Found the cable that runs from the E7000 display into the frame looking quite squashed and flat at the point it enters the frame. Looks like it got twisted with the dropper cable and pinched against the frame.

No pics, sorry.

Can anyone confirm that this is the ew-sd300 cable? I'm guessing that length doesn't matter too much (so long as its not too short).

Cheers!

theremotejuggernaut

Aug 2, 2022
UK
Think I've answered my own question.

The E7000 display needs an EW-SD50 cable.

It's the '21 models that came with the E8000 display that use the EW-SD300.

I think. I've ordered one anyway so we'll see.

Rod B.

Aug 18, 2021
USA, Orange County Ca.
Had a random switching off issue at the weekend. Rise H30 2021.

Found the cable that runs from the E7000 display into the frame looking quite squashed and flat at the point it enters the frame. Looks like it got twisted with the dropper cable and pinched against the frame.

No pics, sorry.

Can anyone confirm that this is the ew-sd300 cable? I'm guessing that length doesn't matter too much (so long as its not too short).

Cheers!
theremotejuggernaut,

I wrote a tech article on installing the SC-EM800. The article describes procedures for replacing the EW-SD50 cable which inserts into the headtube and connects to the EW-AD305 adapter.

In your case, you won't be replacing the EW-SD50 cable with a EW-SD300 cable however, the procedures are exactly the same to replace the EW-SD50 with a new EW-SD50 jumper wire.

In order to replace the damaged SD50 wire, follow the procedures I've listed in the tech article. Especially those concerning the dropper post cable and housing. Use caution when dealing with the dropper post cable housing and cable. If you do not maintain tension on the dropper post cable itself, it will disconnect from the actuating lever at the base of the dropper post. When you pull the dropper post out of the frame to reconnect, the cable housing will remain deep inside the frame and requires dropping the motor in order to push the cable housing back up through the seat tube.

The damaged SD50 cable cannot be removed from the headtube, nor the new one inserted into the headtube without first pushing the dropper post cable housing into the headtube in order to free up the port. Why Orbea did not design the left port like the right port baffles me....it's a piss poor design. Are you listening Orbea?

IMG_0726.JPG

theremotejuggernaut

Aug 2, 2022
UK
theremotejuggernaut,

I wrote a tech article on installing the SC-EM800. The article describes procedures for replacing the EW-SD50 cable which inserts into the headtube and connects to the EW-AD305 adapter.

In your case, you won't be replacing the EW-SD50 cable with a EW-SD300 cable however, the procedures are exactly the same to replace the EW-SD50 with a new EW-SD50 jumper wire.

In order to replace the damaged SD50 wire, follow the procedures I've listed in the tech article. Especially those concerning the dropper post cable and housing. Use caution when dealing with the dropper post cable housing and cable. If you do not maintain tension on the dropper post cable itself, it will disconnect from the actuating lever at the base of the dropper post. When you pull the dropper post out of the frame to reconnect, the cable housing will remain deep inside the frame and requires dropping the motor in order to push the cable housing back up through the seat tube.

The damaged SD50 cable cannot be removed from the headtube, nor the new one inserted into the headtube without first pushing the dropper post cable housing into the headtube in order to free up the port. Why Orbea did not design the left port like the right port baffles me....it's a piss poor design. Are you listening Orbea?

View attachment 102239
Thanks!

I had seen that article. Mine being a Hydro however is slightly different in the way that the cables enter the frame. The SD50 plug does actually fit through the hole in the frame. The adapter that it plugs into however, does not.

For me, option one is going to be holding the adapter with long nose pliers and pulling the SD50 connector out and then trying to connect the new one whilst still holding the adapter with pliers.

When this invariably fails and I lose the adaptor inside the frame, I'll whip the fork off and hopefully find theres a hole in the head tube that I can fish it through.

Maybe I should just go option 2 from the start...

Rod B.

Aug 18, 2021
USA, Orange County Ca.
Thanks!

I had seen that article. Mine being a Hydro however is slightly different in the way that the cables enter the frame. The SD50 plug does actually fit through the hole in the frame. The adapter that it plugs into however, does not.

For me, option one is going to be holding the adapter with long nose pliers and pulling the SD50 connector out and then trying to connect the new one whilst still holding the adapter with pliers.

When this invariably fails and I lose the adaptor inside the frame, I'll whip the fork off and hopefully find theres a hole in the head tube that I can fish it through.

Maybe I should just go option 2 from the start...

I knew you said H15, but I was thinking carbon with it’s screwed up head tube port design. It looks like the H series has a much better design.

I wonder if the SD300 wire running up from the motor and the EW-AD305 adapter on the H series is bundled up and wrapped in foam like on the carbon M series??? If not, maybe the EW-AD305 adapter can be pulled out of the side port and the SD50 wire can be swapped? If it is wrapped in foam, it would just be easier and save time to drop the fork.

If you could, post your findings in this thread and also the SC-EM800 installation thread so that others in a similar situation with their H series will know what to do. I’d be curious to know. I’m sure it will also help others out.

Good luck,
Rod
I knew you said H15, in my mind I was thinking carbon with the screwed up headtube ports. The H series has a muc

theremotejuggernaut

Aug 2, 2022
UK
It's definitely bundled in foam as I can see it wrapped around the adapter. Taunting me. It's so close to squeezing through the hole!

I think the adapter is just too fat to fit through though.

When the cable arrives and I pull it all apart, I'll grab some pics and share 👍

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles