ST Ride App - Tracker/dash/logger for STEPS motors

vadII

E*POWAH Master
Feb 19, 2019
Earth
Update 2021/04/17:
App is available at Google Play
App is available at AppStore

I decided to start developing an App for collecting and displaying information that is available for Shimano STEPS motors: speed/cadence/assist/Di2 data and etc, combined with GPS data and data from other external sensors as heart rate monitors and etc. The only problem is that data from the motor can be collected from any STEPS displays (E7000, E6100, EN100) other than the most common E8000. This is outrageously stupid on the part of Shimano.

It's lucky that the E7000 display is installed in my bike, so I made some initial version. At this moment the App collects bikes data (including Di2 data), HR from common Bluetooth HRM sensor and phone's GPS data. App has circumference correction factor, so it shows correct Speed/Distance on the dash even if you set minimal circumference for a higher speed limit.

So I am ready to listen to your suggestions for the further development of the App. For example, what features do you want to see in such Apps?
Screenshot_1576605394.png

Last edited:

vadII

E*POWAH Master
Feb 19, 2019
Earth
I expected some more feedback...
Anyway, here some other screenshots
Screenshot_1576849998.png Screenshot_1576850024.png

The data is taken from a generated session, so it looks a bit strange

May be after that I'll get some more feedback :ROFLMAO:, for example what graphs/charts do you want to see.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
I think everyone's in bah humbug unhappy xmas, politicians are all mad, we're all either going to drown or burn to death - it's the end of the world mode ...

I still think it looks nice .. I might buy another E8000 bike just to play with it :)

For ideas of peoples dreams, you could read the blevo thread as peoples desires will be similar if they're on an Shimano bike or a Spesh. That has 110 pages of "I WANT AND I WANT IT NOW... please"...

I think a bit like with Blevo, you need beta versions out there for people to use, then they can see what it does and what it doesn't do, which will influence how they use it and what they'll want to use it for, which will give your real world, rather than armchair beer, feedback.

MassDeduction

Dec 1, 2019
Victoria, BC
I decided to start developing an App for collecting and displaying information that is available for Shimano STEPS motors: speed/cadence/assist/Di2 data and etc, combined with GPS data and data from other external sensors as heart rate monitors and etc. The only problem is that data from the motor can be collected from any STEPS displays (E7000, E6100, EN100) other than the most common E8000. This is outrageously stupid on the part of Shimano.

It's lucky that the E7000 display is installed in my bike, so I made some initial version. At this moment the App collects bikes data (including Di2 data), HR from common Bluetooth HRM sensor and phone's GPS data. App has circumference correction factor, so it shows correct Speed/Distance on the dash even if you set minimal circumference for a higher speed limit.

So I am ready to listen to your suggestions for the further development of the App. For example, what features do you want to see in such Apps?
View attachment 23126

I have an E8000 motor with an E6010 Display, and I'd be pleased to test out the app for you if that's a combination that you're interested in feedback for.

lamomie

Jul 3, 2019
France
View attachment 23226 View attachment 23227

May be after that I'll get some more feedback :ROFLMAO:, for example what graphs/charts do you want to see.
it is a good idea for those who use their smartphone during the exit, but would it be possible to develop a garmin app via the store connect IQ of garmin which stores this data in the .fit file of the gps, because garmin displays them on its GPS, but does not store them.

lamomie

Jul 3, 2019
France
View attachment 23226 View attachment 23227

it would be nice to have the average value of the% assistance on the exit if you can acquire these values of course

nepper

Oct 5, 2019
Finland
Is it possible to display power usage from battery? It would nice to see how much engine is producing power and also rider too :)

vadII

E*POWAH Master
Feb 19, 2019
Earth
Is it possible to display power usage from battery? It would nice to see how much engine is producing power and also rider too :)
No. Power is not accessible. Moreover assist percent allowed only for non E8000 motors... Such a dumb Shimano developer...

RickBullotta

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jun 5, 2019
USA
No. Power is not accessible. Moreover assist percent allowed only for non E8000 motors... Such a dumb Shimano developer...

Well, I've been impressed with your ability to reverse engineer stuff thus far - maybe have a go at custom firmware for the E8000 display unit? It definitely has access to assist level telemetry since it displays it in the graph, but some tweaks to what it supports over the bluetooth link would be awesome. The protocol exists, just needs to be ported. As you correctly state, "Dumb Shimano Developers". ;-)

vadII

E*POWAH Master
Feb 19, 2019
Earth
E8000 motor does not have Assist level in the telemetry... Moreover, assist level is only 1 byte (0..255). So, E8000 with stock 300% doesn't fit :)

Well, I've been impressed with your ability to reverse engineer stuff thus far - maybe have a go at custom firmware for the E8000 display unit? It definitely has access to assist level telemetry since it displays it in the graph, but some tweaks to what it supports over the bluetooth link would be awesome. The protocol exists, just needs to be ported. As you correctly state, "Dumb Shimano Developers". ;-)

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
E8000 motor does not have Assist level in the telemetry... Moreover, assist level is only 1 byte (0..255). So, E8000 with stock 300% doesn't fit :)
It only needs one byte. It doesn't log the assist per % , it logs it in base 5 I think (can't remember).

EDIT : Sorry, not base 5 .. xmas beer :) ....

But it logs in 5's - so 300% is 60. 500% is 100 - so it only needs 1 byte for most of it's data fields. (not had one for months, but it became apparent when deciphering the black box).

Last edited:

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
I already have dedicated GPS, speed/cadence sensors and HRM etc. and various apps to upload the data to and geek out over. but leave that to the roadbike and intentionally don't ever use any of that tech while riding emtb. I just don't see the point as I see absolutely no value in viewing stats whatsoever from a motor assisted bike ride.
But...
custom firmware for the E8000 display unit?
an option to turn the display brightness low (for night riding) is something I would like!
On the lowest brightness seting the E8000 display is still far far too BRIGHT! and distracting in the woods at night

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
I already have dedicated GPS, speed/cadence sensors and HRM etc. and various apps to upload the data to and geek out over. but leave that to the roadbike and intentionally don't ever use any of that tech while riding emtb. I just don't see the point as I see absolutely no value in viewing stats whatsoever from a motor assisted bike ride.
But...

an option to turn the display brightness low (for night riding) is something I would like!
On the lowest brightness seting the E8000 display is still far far too BRIGHT! and distracting in the woods at night
A dead giveaway when e-dogging...

RickBullotta

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jun 5, 2019
USA

Thanks for the clarification. Shimano should hire you to rewrite all of their software stack!

vadII

E*POWAH Master
Feb 19, 2019
Earth
Here is some new screenshots from the App (not released yet)
Screenshot_20200407_195516_com.stunlocker.app.ride.jpg Screenshot_20200407_195532_com.stunlocker.app.ride.jpg Screenshot_20200407_195529_com.stunlocker.app.ride.jpg Screenshot_20200407_195546_com.stunlocker.app.ride.jpg Screenshot_20200407_195551_com.stunlocker.app.ride.jpg Screenshot_20200407_195557_com.stunlocker.app.ride.jpg
Dash scheme (type (chart, bar, text), colors, dynamic colors, parameters) are configurable in XML file (at this moment)
Screenshot_1586281041.png Screenshot_1586281582.png
Quick demo

p.s. Assistant level can be retrieved for E8000, but only as 0-100%

Last edited:

lamomie

Jul 3, 2019
France
hello vadll is it possible to create a view with all the parameters in which we can check the parameters that interest us and create a backup of these parameters in a garmin .fit file

vadII

E*POWAH Master
Feb 19, 2019
Earth
hello vadll is it possible to create a view with all the parameters in which we can check the parameters that interest us and create a backup of these parameters in a garmin .fit file
As I said above all dash screens are configurable in XML file (at this moment)

Trail-Niels

E*POWAH Master
Jul 15, 2019
Silkeborg, Denmark
Looks interesting :)
Not that I’m a big fan of a dash on a mountainbike, as i prefer to ‘read the trail’ instead. But what I find useful is to analyse the ride when back home. What I find very interesting is the app that SRAM has made for their AXS drivetrain. At the end of the ride you sync the AXS master with your phone app, and see the number of gear shifts, which cog was running and for how long. The app syncs with Strava and gives you the ability to seek out a segment where you can see which gear you were using etc.
I’d find a similar functionality useful, being able to see the telemetry for any given segment, like assist mode, power etc.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles