Orbea Rise - have I missed a display option?

RedRockWest

Mar 21, 2023
UK
Hi, I have read various posts here (all very helpful) on display options for the Orbea Rise and Shimano motor, but wondered if I am missing some options.

I note that some posts have mentioned that the EP8-RS Shimano motor does not work fully with ANT+ ("does not share all the data") - what is shared and what is not? Is there a subset of data that is shared with any ANT+ device?

So far, it looks like my options are:
  1. Garmin unit/watch supporting the RS Toolbox
  2. Wiring up the Shimano SC-EM800 display (not yet on my new bike)
  3. The Shimano E-Tube Ride Apple/Android app (on a phone)
  4. The ST Unlocker STRide Apple/Android app (on a phone)
Have I missed any other options? Any other simple ANT+ supporting devices if I just want to see battery level, assist mode?

Thanks in advance.

EDIT: Corrected "8000" to "800"

Last edited:

RickBullotta

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jun 5, 2019
USA
Technically you can use any Shimano eBike display with your Rise - you might need a simple adapter and a short cable between the various cable types if the display is previous generation (E8000 era).

That said, the SC-EM800 (not 8000) is probably your best bet.

RedRockWest

Mar 21, 2023
UK
Technically you can use any Shimano eBike display with your Rise - you might need a simple adapter and a short cable between the various cable types if the display is previous generation (E8000 era).

That said, the SC-EM800 (not 8000) is probably your best bet.
Thanks, I will correct the 8000 to 800

Rod B.

Aug 18, 2021
USA, Orange County Ca.
Thanks, I will correct the 8000 to 800
If you are buying a M series carbon Rise, years 2020 - 2022, with EP8-RS motor and it came from the factory with a EW-EN100 junction box, you can use either a Shimano SC-E7000 black and white display or the SC-EM800 color display.

EW-EN100 Junction Box

Screenshot 2023-03-24 07.36.17.jpg

There are Pro & Con benefits to each computer display.

The SC-E7000 has a slightly smaller and more compact screen, which makes it less obtrusive. Cost for the SC-E7000 is slightly less than for the SC-EM800. The SC-E7000 is a direct plug & play replacement, i.e. you mount the display on the handlebar, remove the junction box and plug the wire leads into the back of the display. If you have a vision impairment, the smaller screen on the SC-E7000 may be difficult to read while riding, i.e. mode or battery level.

SC-E7000
1.JPG

The SC-EM800 has a slightly larger screen. The screen is colorized and will change it's color to reflect which mode you are in. The SC-EM800 is not plug & play. The display will only accept SD300 wire leads. The EN-100 junction box used by Orbea, only accepts SD50 wire leads. Therefore, Orbea has wired the Rise's cockpit wiring with SD50 wire. To mount a SC-EM800 display you will need to change out the SD50 wiring which I've covered in another thread.

Screenshot 2023-03-24 07.55.57.jpg

If you are buying a 2023 Rise which comes with an Shimano EP801-RS motor, you have the option of using a Garmin type device or computer display. I have not yet worked on a 2023 Rise, so I'm not familiar with how Orbea has wired the bike at the cockpit.

I've displayed below Shimano's component compatibility chart for the EP801 motor. Which computer display you can use on your 2023 Rise will depend upon the power button and mode switch the bike has been set up with, from the factory.

Screenshot 2023-03-24 08.22.01.jpg

Cheers,
Rod

RedRockWest

Mar 21, 2023
UK
If you are buying a M series carbon Rise, years 2020 - 2022, with EP8-RS motor and it came from the factory with a EW-EN100 junction box, you can use either a Shimano SC-E7000 black and white display or the SC-EM800 color display.

EW-EN100 Junction Box

View attachment 109977

There are Pro & Con benefits to each computer display.

The SC-E7000 has a slightly smaller and more compact screen, which makes it less obtrusive. Cost for the SC-E7000 is slightly less than for the SC-EM800. The SC-E7000 is a direct plug & play replacement, i.e. you mount the display on the handlebar, remove the junction box and plug the wire leads into the back of the display. If you have a vision impairment, the smaller screen on the SC-E7000 may be difficult to read while riding, i.e. mode or battery level.

SC-E7000
View attachment 109976

The SC-EM800 has a slightly larger screen. The screen is colorized and will change it's color to reflect which mode you are in. The SC-EM800 is not plug & play. The display will only accept SD300 wire leads. The EN-100 junction box used by Orbea, only accepts SD50 wire leads. Therefore, Orbea has wired the Rise's cockpit wiring with SD50 wire. To mount a SC-EM800 display you will need to change out the SD50 wiring which I've covered in another thread.

View attachment 109978

If you are buying a 2023 Rise which comes with an Shimano EP801-RS motor, you have the option of using a Garmin type device or computer display. I have not yet worked on a 2023 Rise, so I'm not familiar with how Orbea has wired the bike at the cockpit.

I've displayed below Shimano's component compatibility chart for the EP801 motor. Which computer display you can use on your 2023 Rise will depend upon the power button and mode switch the bike has been set up with, from the factory.

View attachment 109992

Cheers,
Rod
Thanks for the comprehensive reply/help

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire
If it just for battery level and assist mode, I’d save your money and just look at the E-Tube Ride app if you carry your phone whilst out on the trails. You can look at battery level in seconds.

It’s easy to know what mode you’re in, you won’t need a screen to tell you that.

If you don’t carry your phone then I’d go for a compatible Garmin device. You’ll get far more for your money than what the Shimano screens offer. Just my opinion

cookie70

Mar 23, 2022
Central Coast, Australia
I got the 800 screen on my m10 from the factory, mainly as it was not a massive extra cost at that time. Works as advertised.. however I subsequently got a garmin fenix watch (on sale) for recording my rides with strava and found the orbea RS app to be very good. With hindsight I would be happy to not get the 800 screen and use the watch for monitoring assist/battery.

RedRockWest

Mar 21, 2023
UK
If it just for battery level and assist mode, I’d save your money and just look at the E-Tube Ride app if you carry your phone whilst out on the trails. You can look at battery level in seconds.

It’s easy to know what mode you’re in, you won’t need a screen to tell you that.

If you don’t carry your phone then I’d go for a compatible Garmin device. You’ll get far more for your money than what the Shimano screens offer. Just my opinion
Thanks, looks like the default option.

WestCoastRider

Feb 10, 2023
Manhattan Beach, CA
I have a Rise H30, can someone help me understand what a "compatible Garmin device" would be? Is there a listing of these or some feature set I should look for? I was thinking of adding GPS/map functionality on the handlebars, so I guess I would prefer to get something compatible with the H30.

dthree

Aug 8, 2022
Pennsylvania, USA
There’s a list of compatible Garmin devices here.

I picked up the Edge 530 on Ebay for pretty cheap and it works fine with the H30. Not the easiest thing to navigate with but I still prefer it to mounting an expensive smartphone on the bike. The touchscreen models probably have a better UX.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles