Rise - which display to go with?

Chicane

Nov 11, 2020
SoCal
Garmin is perfect I have 830

I don’t bother using the orbea rs as could never get it working on the Garmin

I just use the standard ebike screen

it’s easy to set up and change fields depending on what you want

as soon as I turn the bike on and Garmin it pair instantly and works perfect all day

massive battery life and can move it from bike to bike

and you have navigation too of course

when I got my rise I looked into these displays and a garmin IMO is a no brainer far more info
Is this standard Ebike screen from an App? If so which one?

Gyre

Jan 25, 2021
Pasadena, CA
When I go out to the Garmin site the only two apps I want have terrible ratings on their site... Orbea Toolbox and Trailforks and their lack of a clean integration.... is this a PICNIC (problem in chair not in computer) or is it truly an app issue?
Since I installed Trailforks from the beginning, I haven’t messed around with it enough to make a clear distinction between what the Garmin may have organically and what comes in the app. I know that selecting a trail from the menu can be fiddly - it’s just not going to have the polish of the phone app. So I’ll refrain from passing judgement on the reviews.

Personally, can’t speak for the toolbox app. I’m running a Wild FS. I only wish the Bosch motor would pass data that a Garmin app could read. :cautious:

BobR

Apr 14, 2021
Florida
So the only difference between a 530 and an 830 is touch screen? On my phone w/o a signal I can see any trail forks trail
I have a garmin 530 (The non-touchscreen version of Chris' 830). You can get a £5 mount for the top of the steerer tube, so it keeps the clean look.

Benefits over a display:
  • I'd still use the Garmin IN ADDITION to the display so would be doubling up with clutter
  • It tracks your ride in Garmin, and in Strava - If you don't already use those, you may in the future
  • It thus tracks distance travelled, elevation, assistance levels throughout the ride, battery used, route, speed, average speed, heart rate (if paired with a chest strap or garmin watch), cadence, incline, segment performance, realtime assist level, assist mode, battery remaining percentage, travel range, timer, clock.....
  • It shows you messages from your phone without having to get your phone out
  • It tracks jumps, including speed, distance travelled and 'hang time' and dangerously (if you're competitive) awards a score!
  • It's transferrable to my road bike
  • It has trails and navigation including bike parks.
  • It's normally heavily discounted through private health insurance if you have it.
Negatives:
It would likely fare worse in a crash than the display as it's mounted higher
You have to charge it every few rides
So the only difference between a 530 and an 830 is the touch screen? I have trouble with my phone touch screen w/my gloves anyway...

paske

Apr 2, 2021
Belgium
I’m running the RS toolbox on a Garmin 520, all working ok but I and trying to decide whether or not to switch out my old Garmin Instinct watch for a newer fenix that can use the RS toolbox.

I own a Fenix 5 and use it for a few years now by tracking whatever sport I’m doing. It works quite ok with the RS toolbox.
It’s even possible to upload a gpx file to the watch and use the navigation option during my rides. Smal arrows appears by overlay on the screen or I can view the map for more clarity...
I’m happy with this configuration and don’t feel the need to invest into a full navigation system.

Gyre

Jan 25, 2021
Pasadena, CA
So the only difference between a 530 and an 830 is touch screen? On my phone w/o a signal I can see any trail forks trail

So the only difference between a 530 and an 830 is the touch screen? I have trouble with my phone touch screen w/my gloves anyway...
The 830 doesn't have as many buttons, so you're more dependent on the touchscreen. It has some kind of build-your-own route on the fly and a built-in database with "points of interest". That's pretty much it as far as I know. I'd suggest DCRainmaker's review for more details:

Garmin Edge 830 Cycling GPS In-Depth Review | DC Rainmaker

Also, the touchscreen doesn't get along with screen protectors in my experience. I've tried two different brands with different thicknesses and they both eventually started to interfere with the touch sensitivity.

Ducman71

Apr 8, 2021
Orange County, CA
Example of my current info I have displayed
Chris, that is great, thanks for posting. I have an Edge 830 that I just received (have not unboxed it yet) that I got specifically in anticipation of the Rise I have on order. It's great to know the native e-bike screen works with the Orbea, and the data fields you have displayed are all I would need/want; no need for the Orbea RS toolbox.

Chicane

Nov 11, 2020
SoCal
Chris, that is great, thanks for posting. I have an Edge 830 that I just received (have not unboxed it yet) that I got specifically in anticipation of the Rise I have on order. It's great to know the native e-bike screen works with the Orbea, and the data fields you have displayed are all I would need/want; no need for the Orbea RS toolbox.
Are these native Ebike screens apps that you download within Garmin?

Last edited:

chrismechmaster

Subscriber
Dec 7, 2020
Newbury
If you need any advice / help when you set it up give me a shout ?

chrismechmaster

Subscriber
Dec 7, 2020
Newbury
Are these native Ebike screens apps that you download?
Hi no it’s the default screen in the Garmin

I got the screen by

on the start up screen press the bottom left
Then select activity profiles
Select ebike
Select data screens
Select say screen 1
Select layout and data fields
Chose how many fields you want it to display
Double tap fields and change to whichever fields you want
Then tick to save

when first connecting to the rise
Go to sensors and search for all
I will then find the bike and any other sensors you have

Once that all set up now as soon as I turn on the bike and Garmin it all connect automatically and that screen is ready to display all that info within a few seconds

give me a shout if you need any help setting up

Chicane

Nov 11, 2020
SoCal
Hi no it’s the default screen in the Garmin

I got the screen by

on the start up screen press the bottom left
Then select activity profiles
Select ebike
Select data screens
Select say screen 1
Select layout and data fields
Chose how many fields you want it to display
Double tap fields and change to whichever fields you want
Then tick to save

when first connecting to the rise
Go to sensors and search for all
I will then find the bike and any other sensors you have

Once that all set up now as soon as I turn on the bike and Garmin it all connect automatically and that screen is ready to display all that info within a few seconds

give me a shout if you need any help setting up
Great thanks. Makes sense as I’ve been using the 830 on my Analog bike for over a year now and previously the 520. I definitely prefer the touch screen myself( for those asking in some earlier posts). Now hopefully my M10 gets here as scheduled in early May.

carlbiker

🛡️🚵🛡️
Sep 15, 2020
leeds england
I’ve just bought an Orbea Rise and now I’m looking into display stuff. I’m not fussed about metrics too much, just want to make sure I get from a to b properly with as much trail data as possible, for this reason nothing rivals the use of phones upto press.

Trailforks in particular is fantastic although limited to park keepers to upload relevant data and so it’s never the full picture or accurate as one mans black is another mans blue kind of thing…

So for days where I’m not using a phone I think the e8000 looks a good bet, doesn’t have % battery which will annoy me however so it’s pretty Purion standard rather than Kiox….

alternative would be to not have the display and somehow buy a robust phone that is literally the bike display but would need data so a monthly fee, wonder if anyone has worked this out.

Ive got an Apple Watch 5, Garmin Fenix 6 solar, I did have an edge, all of these I felt were crap, the apple was a joke as it couldn’t even navigate bike journeys (didn’t try Strava or see how that might work) Garmin connect apps like TF are a joke and don’t work anything like the phone versions, the edge just bleeped and was laggy, abit like my first ever 8 bit computer, anything non touch can go in the bin, my goodness the watch navigation is a mare, think I’m going to sell my watches, only thing stopping me is Garmin has collision detection and the Apple can literally call emergency services so something to work out

I’ve never used Strava for nav, I’ve just signed up and seems most people use despite there being little trail data by looks of things like POI or trail grading, up have been using Komoot which has been very good at showing what’s coming up etc so handy for first time rides.

edit: need to show range info I forgot to mention….

Last edited:

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire
So after a bit of time what would people say is the best display atm, the 830 looks good but that will weigh some and look a little ugly perhaps? The e8000 looks abit nicer but less info ofc

I’d say The Garmin 530 is the no-brainer. It costs roughly the same as the Shimano screen yet does so much more

My little Edge 130 Plus has e-bike fields on a custom screen which Ive downloaded from Connect IQ but no idea if they work yet as I don’t have the Rise yet! All I need from the motor is battery percentage, all other Garmin info such as speed, time, distance, elevation will be on the same screen

b33k34

Apr 15, 2021
UK
I’d say The Garmin 530 is the no-brainer. It costs roughly the same as the Shimano screen yet does so much more

My little Edge 130 Plus has e-bike fields on a custom screen which Ive downloaded from Connect IQ but no idea if they work yet as I don’t have the Rise yet! All I need from the motor is battery percentage, all other Garmin info such as speed, time, distance, elevation will be on the same screen

As a rival to a phone, and more suited to bike use, have a look at the Hammerhead. I've only been using mine on the road bike so far but it's based on Android phone internals with a fantastic screen.

In theory you can enable developer mode and side load any android apps (which would give you the shimano e-tube)

Annoyingly that doesn't display battery percentage - I'm using the Edge 130 on my rise and think it's perfect (but no navigation, and my experience of navigation on Garmin has always been really poor)

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire
As a rival to a phone, and more suited to bike use, have a look at the Hammerhead. I've only been using mine on the road bike so far but it's based on Android phone internals with a fantastic screen.

In theory you can enable developer mode and side load any android apps (which would give you the shimano e-tube)

Annoyingly that doesn't display battery percentage - I'm using the Edge 130 on my rise and think it's perfect (but no navigation, and my experience of navigation on Garmin has always been really poor)

I really like the minimalistic sat nav on the Garmin’s. All I need is an arrow with a distance, which is exactly what the 130 plus provides. Saying that, I tend to do most XC rides in the winter and ride trails & off-piste in the summer so don’t use the navigation that much

I’ll take a look at Hammerheads, although I’m a Garmin fan boy haha

carlbiker

🛡️🚵🛡️
Sep 15, 2020
leeds england
I own a Fenix 5 and use it for a few years now by tracking whatever sport I’m doing. It works quite ok with the RS toolbox.
It’s even possible to upload a gpx file to the watch and use the navigation option during my rides. Smal arrows appears by overlay on the screen or I can view the map for more clarity...
I’m happy with this configuration and don’t feel the need to invest into a full navigation system.

you might experience wrong turns however with forked trails and because you can’t zoom in easy it just makes it harder I found

And it will cover range also?

Wow this thing is perfect, it even has SIM card slots!!

CD1F1505-9B3E-453E-B819-40804B1048F7.png

You tried to take it on trails and used gpx files at all? I see reviewers saying it’s much better than garmins, it instantly looks better.

b33k34

Apr 15, 2021
UK
you might experience wrong turns however with forked trails and because you can’t zoom in easy it just makes it harder I found

And it will cover range also?

View attachment 67017
You tried to take it on trails and used gpx files at all? I see reviewers saying it’s much better than garmins, it instantly looks better.

I've not taken it off road yet, but its easy enough to get a gpx file on there and the navigation seems excellent - I *really* like the display of upcoming elevation (and the historic elevation, which you get on the 'trip' screen even if you're not following a gpx route

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire
@carlbiker I’m sure the Garmin can display range once connected to the Rise but speaking as a current Bosch Gen 4 user I don’t trust range at all and much prefer to know battery percentage. I can work out the range myself far more accurately than a firmware chip can because as long as I know the battery percentage I know what terrain, elevation etc I have left to ride

b33k34

Apr 15, 2021
UK
@carlbiker I don’t trust range at all and much prefer to know battery percentage. I can work out the range myself far more accurately than a firmware chip can because as long as I know the battery percentage I know what terrain, elevation

Mine, with my riding style and use, is still utterly predictable at 1200m climbing on a full battery, 1900+ with range extender.

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire
Mine, with my riding style and use, is still utterly predictable at 1200m climbing on a full battery, 1900+ with range extender.

So if you’re riding the Rise (lucky you) and using the Edge 130 Plus, apart from not liking the navigation on the 130, sounds like you are getting the battery percentage and range fine on the 130 screen just using the eBike fields ?

carlbiker

🛡️🚵🛡️
Sep 15, 2020
leeds england
I've not taken it off road yet, but its easy enough to get a gpx file on there and the navigation seems excellent - I *really* like the display of upcoming elevation (and the historic elevation, which you get on the 'trip' screen even if you're not following a gpx route

Have you fathomed how to see battery % or available distance at all?

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire
ST Ride app is $2.99 and gives you percentage charge on your phone amongst many other things…

And to be fair, once you’ve got used to an ebikes battery and motor you know exactly how much range it is capable of compared to the terrain and elevation ridden, so probably don’t even need a display anyway, which is why the Rise probably doesn’t have one!

Bigkatoomer

Feb 25, 2021
Surrey, England
Have you fathomed how to see battery % or available distance at all?

I have the Garmin 530. I use it on my road and mountain bike:

Good points:
It tracks all the data of a ride, and seamlessly loads it to Garmin, which then syncs to Strava.
It tracks gps route, speed, av speed, jumps, hang time, distance jumped, it takes heart rate from either my HRM chest belt or broadcasted from my garmin watch, it takes accurate speed from the garmin wheel speed on my roadbike, power meter (road bike), garmin light integration, tells me when a sharp turn is ahead, crash alert (which my mates mock, but one day might save my ass), is easy to take on and off, is low profile with a direct steerer top tube mounting, so not extra clutter, utterly waterproof and good drop proof, and lasts for days.

If you install the RS toolbox, you'll also get a specific screen of fields, that you can't pull in to any other screens (so once you enable RS Toolbox, your 'ebike battery level' field and all E8000 fields will not work, you can't have both). They give you
Speed sensor speed
cadence
Battery Percentage
Mode (Off, Walk,Eco,Trail,Boost)
% assistance applied by the motor in reatime.
Travel range

It also tracks all these metrics and drops them into the ride data in Garmin.

Bad Points:
I find it utterly shit for MTB Nav.
I find it fairly shit for Road nav.
It sometimes disconnects from sensors, including the bike, and needs disabling and re-enabling that sensor in the menu.
Getting RS Toolbox set up initially was a faff.

I always use it, so to have a fitted ebike display would be overkill and unnecessary. So, for me, it's the best option, and I'm very much in the Garmin ecosystem. Luckily, I don't need the nav that often.

Gyre

Jan 25, 2021
Pasadena, CA

I'd advise due diligence before jumping into Hammerhead. Some notes on it:

The display is amazing.
Some of the "analogue" indicators are really nice (I use the analog displays for power and heart rate zones, pretty happy with them).
The data screens are customizable, but not as customizable as you might expect for a cyclecomputer based on smartphone technology.
The mounts are shit (seriously, don't ever mount it without a lanyard securely attached).
The battery consumption is pretty high.
The backlight doesn't auto-adjust for ambient light levels like Garmin does. (It's easy to take this for granted on Garmins until you ride with a HH)
The handlebar remote situation isn't great. It's been a requested feature for years but there seems to be no movement on this front.
As far as I know, it has no support for AXS or Tyrewiz.
I have no idea if it can read anything from an Orbea Rise or Spesh.

b33k34

Apr 15, 2021
UK
So if you’re riding the Rise (lucky you) and using the Edge 130 Plus, apart from not liking the navigation on the 130, sounds like you are getting the battery percentage and range fine on the 130 screen just using the eBike fields ?
130 (not plus). I’ve linked to the app I’m using in this and other threads. Range field is blank but the standard Garmin “total ascent” field gives me an accurate guide.

I’ve never tried using nav on the 130

b33k34

Apr 15, 2021
UK
I'd advise due diligence before jumping into Hammerhead. Some notes on it:

The display is amazing.
Some of the "analogue" indicators are really nice (I use the analog displays for power and heart rate zones, pretty happy with them).
The data screens are customizable, but not as customizable as you might expect for a cyclecomputer based on smartphone technology.
The mounts are shit (seriously, don't ever mount it without a lanyard securely attached).
The battery consumption is pretty high.
The backlight doesn't auto-adjust for ambient light levels like Garmin does. (It's easy to take this for granted on Garmins until you ride with a HH)
The handlebar remote situation isn't great. It's been a requested feature for years but there seems to be no movement on this front.
As far as I know, it has no support for AXS or Tyrewiz.
I have no idea if it can read anything from an Orbea Rise or Spesh.

Is this the Karoo 1 or 2? Mine is new but the 2 has a proprietary mount that feels really solid and well supported or an adapter to use any Garmin mount. What’s the issue?

Battery life looks like 10+ hours )longer would be better but seems up there with all my Garmins.

No native ebike support but you can enable developers mode and install android apps (haven’t tried this yet).

Gyre

Jan 25, 2021
Pasadena, CA
Is this the Karoo 1 or 2? Mine is new but the 2 has a proprietary mount that feels really solid and well supported or an adapter to use any Garmin mount. What’s the issue?
K2. Many reports of broken mounts or falling off the mount.

Battery life goes down substantially faster than Garmin for me.

android apps - yes, but as far as I can tell, there just isn’t much app development going on. At least with ConnectIQ there’s a robust library of apps, even if the whole scheme is a bit janky.

soundwave

May 13, 2020
Helsinki, Finland
I seem to have a different taste here, since I don’t want any screens at all on the bike. I like the dongle since it’s so discrete and makes the Rise look like a normal bike. I just use Apple Watch for ride and hr tracking.

Tonybro

🦾 The Bionic Man 🦿
Subscriber
Jan 15, 2021
Lancashire
The little dongle is OK BUT you don't have a definitive indication of battery life without logging into bike with a phone which is a pain if you are on a long ride AND the colour of the LED for Trail and Boost is virtually indistinguishable so you aren't sure of which you are in.

I am going for the small and discrete Shimano E800, just waiting for the wiring. LBS already has the display.

Tribanas

Jul 13, 2021
Portugal
Hi, as i wait for mine, this thread RIsed a point.
I am realy fond of the clean aesthetic of the dongle cockpit. The ideia of having the clean cockpit and a smartwatch giving me info like battery / cadence etc is very apealing. But i see somepeople troubled by the instalation / configuration on they garmin watches, also its not very clear wich ones are compatible.

Any insight ?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles