Rise - which display to go with?

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire
Hi, as i wait for mine, this thread RIsed a point.
I am realy fond of the clean aesthetic of the dongle cockpit. The ideia of having the clean cockpit and a smartwatch giving me info like battery / cadence etc is very apealing. But i see somepeople troubled by the instalation / configuration on they garmin watches, also its not very clear wich ones are compatible.

Any insight ?

The Blue paper tells you which devices are compatible with RS Toolbox, but if you don’t use toolbox then you can add other third party apps to your Garmin (must be compatible with ConnectIQ) and use an e-bike field, adding the EP8 motor as a ‘sensor’

Basically if the Garmin watch is able to connect to Garmin ConnectIQ then it’ll be fine, there’s loads to choose from

mark.ai

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Jul 10, 2018
Windermere
Hi, as i wait for mine, this thread RIsed a point.
I am realy fond of the clean aesthetic of the dongle cockpit. The ideia of having the clean cockpit and a smartwatch giving me info like battery / cadence etc is very apealing. But i see somepeople troubled by the instalation / configuration on they garmin watches, also its not very clear wich ones are compatible.

Any insight ?

If you want to use the official Orbea RS Toolbox then you can see the exact device compatibility list here (under "Compatible Devices"): Orbea RS Toolbox | Garmin Connect IQ

If you want a simpler data field just for battery % and/or assist mode, which can be mixed with other fields, then I can recommend my one here :) Also see the "Compatible Devices" list : STEPS EMTB Data | Garmin Connect IQ

Ducman71

Apr 8, 2021
Orange County, CA
I have the Garmin 530.... for me, it's the best option, and I'm very much in the Garmin ecosystem.

I've just recently been able to finally get some rides in on my new Rise, and have been getting used to an Edge 830 that I purchased recently as well, and I agree with all of these comments. Setting up the RS Toolbox on the Garmin the first time was cumbersome and fiddly, but once set up it works quite well, and pairs with the bike quickly after starting up when beginning a ride. The only things I would add to Bigkatoomer's notes are:

- The battery % on the RS Toolkit usually does not display a value until several minutes into a ride; this is less than ideal if you are hoping to see the battery % in the garage before deciding if to charge the bike, and for how long. Anyone else noticing this?
- The refresh rate of the estimated range is pretty slow, and can lead to some spurious readings depending on the terrain of your route; for example, predicted range will go way up if your route is flat for a while, but takes a bit to correct once you start climbing. Accordingly, range is somewhat useful for reference, but keeping an eye on battery % in real time and being aware of the terrain on your planned route is more important.

b33k34

Apr 15, 2021
UK
- The battery % on the RS Toolkit usually does not display a value until several minutes into a ride; this is less than ideal if you are hoping to see the battery % in the garage before deciding if to charge the bike, and for how long. Anyone else noticing this?

I'm using an Edge 130 with another app. Same issue - the 'updates' from the Rise to the Garmin are weird. Sometimes it's immediate, sometimes it takes some time to update the battery level or mode (but when you're riding the '%age support' or whatever it's called updates very quickly.

RickBullotta

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jun 5, 2019
USA
I've just recently been able to finally get some rides in on my new Rise, and have been getting used to an Edge 830 that I purchased recently as well, and I agree with all of these comments. Setting up the RS Toolbox on the Garmin the first time was cumbersome and fiddly, but once set up it works quite well, and pairs with the bike quickly after starting up when beginning a ride. The only things I would add to Bigkatoomer's notes are:

- The refresh rate of the estimated range is pretty slow, and can lead to some spurious readings depending on the terrain of your route; for example, predicted range will go way up if your route is flat for a while, but takes a bit to correct once you start climbing. Accordingly, range is somewhat useful for reference, but keeping an eye on battery % in real time and being aware of the terrain on your planned route is more important.

...but I've also found that the 830 generally sucks as an MTB navigation device.

Ducman71

Apr 8, 2021
Orange County, CA
...but I've also found that the 830 generally sucks as an MTB navigation device.
Based on my limited experience, I would agree with this. It sounds like Bigkatoomer does as well. That said, I've never used full time NAV for any form of cycling, and I didn't care about whether or not the Edge was any good at this when I bought it. Having access to the map has turned out to be useful once or twice already riding on unfamiliar trails (not for realtime navigation, but just to stop and confirm where a trail goes), so in that sense it has exceeded my nonexistent expectations.

carlbiker

🛡️🚵🛡️
Sep 15, 2020
leeds england

carlbiker

🛡️🚵🛡️
Sep 15, 2020
leeds england
I’ll give my garmin fenix 6 and the Apple Watch a go next……I can’t for the life of me imagine using garmin for helping pick out trails at big places, Trailforks is king of trail hunting I’m finding so atm Im having to use my phone way too often and next best thing would be the Karoo 2 but sound problematic, they do a 30 day return though….

9C886AC2-05D5-44A0-90D0-DBE4B365DE3B.jpeg

me and a pal only came to Forest of Dean because I happen to glance at it nearby where we were staying and then once we got upto the main off piste bits we didn’t need it much but was fairly handy upto then. TF on connect/garmin is comical

Last edited:

RogerFree

Aug 21, 2021
MA
I just discovered the ST Ride app (from the same guy that makes ST Unlocker). It's perfect for us non-Garmin folks, I think. You get battery percentage and all the motor stats. Really nice, well worth the $2.50. Way better than Shimano E-Ride. The only thing it's really lacking is customization of the display layout, but there's a 2x2 format that's good for us with bad eyes that has mode, cadence, battery, and heartrate.
Hey Tuna, I just loaded the ST Rides because I want an Apple Watch solution. Did you get your Apple Watch to connect with ST RIdes. ? IPhone connects fine, but watch won’t Or can’t? Any ideas?

Bigtuna00

Nov 27, 2019
CA
Hey Tuna, I just loaded the ST Rides because I want an Apple Watch solution. Did you get your Apple Watch to connect with ST RIdes. ? IPhone connects fine, but watch won’t Or can’t? Any ideas?
I don't have an Apple Watch, sorry I can't help. You should ask the developer, he's usually pretty responsive.

David0208

Mar 30, 2019
United Kingdom
I have been using the Orbea RS Toolbox on my Garmin Fenix 6x Pro and after much help from ready posts in the forum I got it working without too much trouble. However, when I went to change the "Data Fields" I seem to have lost a few, like which mode I am riding in? I am sure they are there, and I'm just not looking in the right area, but I can find every conceivable data field but not the assist mode? Any ideas?

As I said, I am sure I will find that with a bit of playing around with it, but I do have another question and one that I am sure has probably been asked before . . . in the "Data Fields" there is an option for "Power" so I changed the layout and added that field (This is how I lost my assist mode field :rolleyes:) and hoped it would give me my power output like I get on my Orbea Wild FS. I know . . . it was hopeful, but I couldn't get that data but has anyone else managed to get your riding power data from the bike? Again, I'm sure it has been asked before but couldn't find anything.

It would be really helpful as the data import to Training Peaks (or any other app) is showing that I am about the same time for a local 20km ride, but with a much less score for effort and ultimately fitness which I'm finding hard to believe for obvious reasons (Wild FS vs Rise on same ride).

The only other technical difference is that my rides on the Rise are measured on my Garmin and my rides on the Wild FS are measured with a combination of the Kiox and Polar HR chest strap.

Any ideas or advice (Particularly on measuring power output on the Rise)?

Thanks

carlbiker

🛡️🚵🛡️
Sep 15, 2020
leeds england
It’s a fickle app, not a lot of testing I don’t think but I got mine working in about 10 mins, had to delete the app from the phone and reinstall it to get the unlock option to populate then it was fine.

I have steps also and I’m tempted to see about combining both data fields to see what happens, just thinking if rs is having a bad day well steps normally always works

Tonybro

🦾 The Bionic Man 🦿
Subscriber
Jan 15, 2021
Lancashire
Managed to get the LBS to complete the installation of the Shimano display whilst I was away.

Shakedown ride yesterday was much better being able to see battery state and how much assistance it was providing...

E0AFA31E-50EC-4A7F-AF55-7CBA0B4C1BF7.jpeg

Full colour and different colours per mode. Much better and recommended...

Mark02380

Now "Mark24" 👍
Jun 5, 2019
Southampton
Managed to get the LBS to complete the installation of the Shimano display whilst I was away.

Shakedown ride yesterday was much better being able to see battery state and how much assistance it was providing...

View attachment 71366

Full colour and different colours per mode. Much better and recommended...
Hi did the have to replace any cables to use this display

Cheers

Tonybro

🦾 The Bionic Man 🦿
Subscriber
Jan 15, 2021
Lancashire
Yes but the mode switch was also replaced with a new one (different) as the original must have been over-torqued at the factory as it had a small crack in it. Wiring was changed to correct type for new switch and display (only £25). Switch and display cost well over £200 and then labour on top, £100.

carlbiker

🛡️🚵🛡️
Sep 15, 2020
leeds england
E2109787-AD5C-4438-A6A8-655723F0ADD6.jpeg

D05E0B77-68D6-41A8-A5AE-ECEF06EC2ED4.jpeg

I always take my phone so figured might as well use the damned thing!

Nothing compares to phone apps, Trailforks, OSMaps, ViewRange and the typical Strava, Komoot, I do wear a Garmin 6 pro watch although the Apple Watch features a much better life saver if your on your own since it can call emergency automatically after a crash to come rescue your ass with its cellular features….

mines in a protective case already, it’s heavier than I’d want really but protected well, what I’ll never understand is people sticking expensive stuff on the bars! Soa better place is the toptube where it’s much safer. I would advise to add a lanyard as a backup also and just clip something f to the bars it can attach too.

Under £13 and then you can have anything running whilst your riding, if battery’s an issue there’s loads of cheap lightweight banks you can add onto it also, you would just stick it under the holder and make it tight then loop a tiny wire into the phone etc. My battery lasts always on all day multiple apps running….

Im just about to test stun lock and maybe some of the other apps out like E-TUBE or emax

GMLS

Jun 22, 2020
Surrey
As a rival to a phone, and more suited to bike use, have a look at the Hammerhead. I've only been using mine on the road bike so far but it's based on Android phone internals with a fantastic screen.

In theory you can enable developer mode and side load any android apps (which would give you the shimano e-tube)

Annoyingly that doesn't display battery percentage - I'm using the Edge 130 on my rise and think it's perfect (but no navigation, and my experience of navigation on Garmin has always been really poor)
Have you found a way to show the battery % on the Hammerhead?

GMLS

Jun 22, 2020
Surrey
View attachment 71405
View attachment 71406

I always take my phone so figured might as well use the damned thing!

Nothing compares to phone apps, Trailforks, OSMaps, ViewRange and the typical Strava, Komoot, I do wear a Garmin 6 pro watch although the Apple Watch features a much better life saver if your on your own since it can call emergency automatically after a crash to come rescue your ass with its cellular features….

mines in a protective case already, it’s heavier than I’d want really but protected well, what I’ll never understand is people sticking expensive stuff on the bars! Soa better place is the toptube where it’s much safer. I would advise to add a lanyard as a backup also and just clip something f to the bars it can attach too.

Under £13 and then you can have anything running whilst your riding, if battery’s an issue there’s loads of cheap lightweight banks you can add onto it also, you would just stick it under the holder and make it tight then loop a tiny wire into the phone etc. My battery lasts always on all day multiple apps running….

Im just about to test stun lock and maybe some of the other apps out like E-TUBE or emax
What were your thoughts on the apps?

carlbiker

🛡️🚵🛡️
Sep 15, 2020
leeds england
What were your thoughts on the apps?

I’m using on my watch but it’s not the most practical, it’s there if I need it though and I’m just using the shimano steps one atm, the little e8000 would be a useful addition I think, I’ll try the other nav apps butI might consider the ‘30’ series garmin as they update faster than the explorer one I had, hopefully one of the apps does better at tracking than Komoot does

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles