Reign E+ 2022

vte.ktm

Oct 30, 2021
Spain
I'll give you my parameters, to see if you have the same ones, I'm still the same with the battery issue
VERSIONES.jpeg

Acmac999

Dec 26, 2021
Australia
Hi there,

Can anyone help me out with this snap ring on the drive side BB? It’s obviously bent and needs replacing as it’s eating up the seal but I can’t work out what it even is supposed to do? The notch it sits in would have it not touching anything other than the crank arm? Is anyone able to take a pic of this area for me, or a parts diagram?

Thank you,

Alex

A282789F-BBD3-45A2-8CE7-EAA7E66AB2D0.jpeg
649A7AF8-FD85-42BC-9188-22446564F751.jpeg

John Cap

Jan 29, 2022
Greece
Has anyone changed the cable of the droper post ?

The end cap on the lever went loose, as result the cable frayed and then it was impossible to pull it back to place without causing it to fray more and more.

Removed the seat post, took the cable out only to see that the cable housing is nested deep inside the seat tube, it is impossible to catch it with something and try to pull it upward. On the other side, pushing the cable housing from the head tube, it does not move.
So I can't seem to find a way to push a new cable in, from that point.

20221227_181744.jpg

Any ideas? 🤔

Garybee

Feb 4, 2022
Vancouver BC
Has anyone changed the cable of the droper post ?

The end cap on the lever went loose, as result the cable frayed and then it was impossible to pull it back to place without causing it to fray more and more.

Removed the seat post, took the cable out only to see that the cable housing is nested deep inside the seat tube, it is impossible to catch it with something and try to pull it upward. On the other side, pushing the cable housing from the head tube, it does not move.
So I can't seem to find a way to push a new cable in, from that point.

View attachment 103583

Any ideas? 🤔
If you remove the battery and flip the bike over, most likely you will be able to push the cable housing up the seat tube.

cable.jpg

Garybee

Feb 4, 2022
Vancouver BC
I was curious how the battery charged over time so for a 625 Wh battery and a 800 Wh battery I took charge readings every 20 min. Both batteries were reading just above 10% before I started to charge.

From the readings it looks like the charge rate gradually decreases with time until its just a trickle at the end.

For both batteries the charge increased just 4% in the last hour (2%+1%+1%). Compaired to the first hour where the charge increased 39% (625 Wh battery) and 33% (800 Wh battery).

battery.jpg

I also charged the 625Wh off the bike and it took the same time as on the bike.

Chuggz

Dec 13, 2019
Australia
I was curious how the battery charged over time so for a 625 Wh battery and a 800 Wh battery I took charge readings every 20 min. Both batteries were reading just above 10% before I started to charge.

From the readings it looks like the charge rate gradually decreases with time until its just a trickle at the end.

For both batteries the charge increased just 4% in the last hour (2%+1%+1%). Compaired to the first hour where the charge increased 39% (625 Wh battery) and 33% (800 Wh battery).

View attachment 103621
I do believe the later of the charge cycle is the bms balancing the cells, that can take some time

trailaddict

Jul 7, 2021
Alps
Roller2.jpg

Greetings from Finale Ligure 👋
Some rain yesterday made the ride quite interesting 😁
Luckily I've upgraded to the Fox XL Mud Guard on the Front and it does it's job incredibly well. Suspension was serviced by Fox just recently, and now the bike feels so much better again.

Have a good time and stay healthy and positive.

Last edited:

trailaddict

Jul 7, 2021
Alps
3rd Day with the Dec 25th Update of the RideControl Go and Smart Gateway. Bikes work flawlessly and I did not encounter any issues so far on either the Reign nor the Trance X adv. With this being said, I close the Saison for this year and wish you all a goid start to 2023. Ride Safe!
Reign_24h.jpeg

John Cap

Jan 29, 2022
Greece
Hello everyone, happy new year !

Since I'm in to mtb for about a year, I have never had the need to deal with freehubs so far. Now I'm thinking to upgrade the rear wheel of my '22 Reign E+2 and I'm lost. If I have understood correctly :

- since the '22 model, +2 , uses a 12-speed SRAM cassette with a smallest cog of 11 teeth, it has an HG driver ? Which is Shimano technology.

- looking for new ready to use wheels, I should be looking for those that are listed to have a freehub of "Shimano", not XD which are only for SRAM cassettes with 10-tooth smallest cog, neither "Shimano 12-speed" as the latter will be micro spline.

Am I correct ?

And if later down the road, I want to change my cassette, let's say go to a GX with a 10-tooth smaller cog, then I would also have to simply replace the driver by buying an XD one ?

Redlemon

Oct 30, 2021
Canada
Hello everyone, happy new year !

Since I'm in to mtb for about a year, I have never had the need to deal with freehubs so far. Now I'm thinking to upgrade the rear wheel of my '22 Reign E+2 and I'm lost. If I have understood correctly :

- since the '22 model, +2 , uses a 12-speed SRAM cassette with a smallest cog of 11 teeth, it has an HG driver ? Which is Shimano technology.

- looking for new ready to use wheels, I should be looking for those that are listed to have a freehub of "Shimano", not XD which are only for SRAM cassettes with 10-tooth smallest cog, neither "Shimano 12-speed" as the latter will be micro spline.

Am I correct ?

And if later down the road, I want to change my cassette, let's say go to a GX with a 10-tooth smaller cog, then I would also have to simply replace the driver by buying an XD one ?

SRAM SX/NX cassettes are using HG driver (Shimano)

SRAM GX/X01/XX1 are using XD Driver (SRAM)

Newer Shimano 12 speed stuff are all running on Microspline driver.

If you can find parts to swap the driver to XD you're fine, but I'm not sure you'll be able to find the driver alone as it's all Giant stuff...might have to replace the whole wheel or the hub at least.

John Cap

Jan 29, 2022
Greece
SRAM SX/NX cassettes are using HG driver (Shimano)

SRAM GX/X01/XX1 are using XD Driver (SRAM)

Newer Shimano 12 speed stuff are all running on Microspline driver.

If you can find parts to swap the driver to XD you're fine, but I'm not sure you'll be able to find the driver alone as it's all Giant stuff...might have to replace the whole wheel or the hub at least.
Yes, I'm looking to buy a new whole wheel. But keep the existing cassette because the bike has only done about 300 kilometers so far.
Thinking about a DT Swiss HX1700. Hub options are : XD, Shimano, or Shimano 12-sp, so I guess the right choice is Shimano.

peddleaddict

Nov 22, 2021
Alpes Maritimes

View attachment 103621
After the October firmware update, my charge rates are not at all like these figures!
More than double I'd estimate. My battery appears to only trickle charge!
Example: I put my bike on charge this morning at 10am with 15% charge, unplugged at 17h40 (7h40 on charge) and the battery is at 74% charge.
I have 2 smart chargers and both give similar charge times for on-bike charging, so, not a charger issue!
I haven't tried charging the battery off the bike yet!
Are there other users apart from vte.ktm who are experiencing these charging issues?

Mr Dog

Sep 26, 2021
Switzerland
One thing I noticed after the recent firmware install is that the surging at the assistance cut off point came back. It had been fixed in an earlier update, I was pretty happy with the motor feel and the cut off felt comparable to Bosch. I was also getting assistance just after 25kph indicated on the Garmin before the update. That seems to have now dropped back to around 24/24.5kph. I’m pretty bummed. I didn’t notice any changes elsewhere and I have not charged on bike yet. Too cold to check the overheating issue which I did experience a couple of times on long climbs this summer. Hopefully we get a new update soon.

Rickster

Subscriber
Feb 19, 2022
Ok BC Canada
“Too cold to check the overheating issue which I did experience a couple of times on long climbs this summer. Hopefully we get a new update soon.”
Thank God I returned my 0 and got my money back only after threatening them with legal action. Giant in their “wizdumb” have taken a spectacular motor and have really screwed it up.

vte.ktm

Oct 30, 2021
Spain
I have identical software releases and versions as you, on-bike charging is very slow. Don't know whether to take the bike back or wait for new firmware release?

View attachment 104073

I'm still waiting for an update, for now, I charge it twice, first once all night, it stays at 76%, I disconnect the charger and reconnect it, I wait a couple of hours and it's already at 100%, but I have to do it twice

Mikects

Feb 27, 2022
Auckland, New Zealand
Latest issue - mode switch down button started sticking on. Back at the bike shop for repair. 700km.

Starting to really like the bike now - when its working properly. Easily the highest maintenance bike I have owned in over 30 years of mountain biking……

Buckaroony

Dec 17, 2021
UK
I’m going to Morzine in June for the passportes du soliel event and am really struggling to secure a battery to hire out there. As we are flying taking my own battery isn’t an option.
Has anyone tried riding proper downhill trails without a battery installed? Are there any issues with the frame flexing? I assume the battery isn't structural when installed.
The event only has about 1200m of climbing in total, the rest is lift assisted downhill.
Not sure how my legs would cope without the power assist but the bike doesn’t feel that heavy without the battery.

trailaddict

Jul 7, 2021
Alps
Has anyone tried riding proper downhill trails without a battery installed?
Yes, I did run the Reign down various DH and Bikepark Laps without a battery. It remains a heavy rig but feels very planted on rough stuff.
Are there any issues with the frame flexing?
No, not at all.
I assume the battery isn't structural when installed.
No it isn't.

The event only has about 1200m of climbing in total, the rest is lift assisted downhill.
Not sure how my legs would cope without the power assist but the bike doesn’t feel that heavy without the battery.
I won't do that bro. But why don't you try it yourself at home how it feels?

Buckaroony

Dec 17, 2021
UK
Finished the last 5 miles of a ride the other day with a flat battery, that was hard work and not convinced it would be that much easier with the battery out.
Oh well will dig out the old Orange Five for the event.
Can’t believe it’s still impossible to hire an Energypak out there.

Micasco

Jan 9, 2023
Portugal
Finished the last 5 miles of a ride the other day with a flat battery, that was hard work and not convinced it would be that much easier with the battery out.
Oh well will dig out the old Orange Five for the event.
Can’t believe it’s still impossible to hire an Energypak out there.
there is someone here on the forum with a 750 for sale (new)

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles