Reign E+ 2022

justintaylor

Nov 27, 2022
Budapest
I just bought the E+2 version, when I test drove it the dealer was silent about trying it out in higher gears (higher cadence) so I only went in the 12th and 11th gear. The motor sound was not the best but OK. However since its a mountain bike, and I live near a mountain 60pct of the time you are climbing in high gears. The perceived noise between the 12th gear low cadence and 1st gear high cadence is at least 5X, due to the high pitched whining noise part of the sound profile going from like 40DB to 60DB!!! I could not believe my ears! It is like riding a hand blender on the quite mountain trails and I am now old (40+) less prone to hear high pitched sounds. How can someone produce a motor like this and also how can you still put "bicycle" in the name of the product.
I was deeply disappointed in Rob as well, since he was praising the bike sky high and lowering my guard when test driving, I guess it was a paid advert as well like 90pct on Youtube. I am not unfamiliar with mid drive motors either, my GF has a 2016 Bosch Active Line and it is super quiet. In the highest gear the noise of the cheapo old Bosch is comparable to this Yamaha abomination in the lowest gear. I know that more powerful Bosch new motors are louder as well, but at least they are lower pitched than the niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii motor of Yamaha. I dont even mention my 15 years old Bionx PT350 hub drive motor on my city bike is STILL working and giving 70pct as much torque as the Yamaha motor in complete silence!!!
So I am taking back the bike to the dealer after just 2 km of real world driving at a loss, probably I will build a silent EMTB with a large diameter cheap Chinese hub motor. At least its much cheaper to service, completely silent at a cost of more weight less range.
This whole trend of motors going lighter and stronger while sacrificing a big part of what bike riding means (quiet, peace, ZEN, close to nature) is a complete dead end IMO. Yamaha should have sticked with enduro motorbikes if sound is a non issue for them. All the ebikes sooner or later will be banned from all nature parks due to these bad apples like the motorbikes for similar reasons.
EDIT:
On further investigation I found that above 60 cadence the sound increases exponentially becoming louder than a Tesla at around 100 cadence. Strange thing is it has nothing to do with power assist level, and even steepness of road. So if I keep pedaling at a cadence lower than 50, I can still climb a 10pct grade road and the sound is just marginally higher than Bosch line active 2016 model. Now I will probably not return the bike, I will just readjust and wont pedal as fast as on my old bikes. Still not happy completely, since I like doing 120+ cadence cardio runs, just it is impossible with this bike due to sound poisoning!

low cadence
high cadence

Last edited:

Chuggz

Dec 13, 2019
Australia
Any of you guys dealing with seat post creaks? Mines been a pain since new, I’m constantly greasing the thing?
I’ve tried the rails the seat it self the collar I’m over it?

Buckaroony

Dec 17, 2021
UK
Any of you guys dealing with seat post creaks? Mines been a pain since new, I’m constantly greasing the thing?
I’ve tried the rails the seat it self the collar I’m over it?
Mine does as well, bought some proper assembly grease the other day and will let you know if it helps.

Chuggz

Dec 13, 2019
Australia
Mine does as well, bought some proper assembly grease the other day and will let you know if it helps.
Cheers mate!
I have tried automotive grease,
I tried slick honey,
I grabbed some really thick rubber grease yesterday it’s almost like a paste,
I’m hoping this works better

justintaylor

Nov 27, 2022
Budapest
My Reign does not do this.
On further investigation I found that above 60 cadence the sound increases exponentially becoming louder than a Tesla at around 100 cadence. Strange thing is it has nothing to do with power assist level, and even steepness of road. So if I keep pedaling at a cadence lower than 50, I can still climb a 10pct grade road and the sound is just marginally higher than Bosch line active 2016 model. Now I will probably not return the bike, I will just readjust and wont pedal as fast as on my old bikes.

low cadence
high cadence

Last edited:

John Cap

Jan 29, 2022
Greece
I just bought the E+2 version, ... . ....

My E+2 does not sound much. I would say motor noise is more or less on the same levels as of my previous emtb, a Haibike AllMtn with the bosch gen4. But the Syndrive pro's noise has maybe a higher pitch, whereas the bosch motor had more "bass" in its noise, if that makes sense.

Luke___

Sep 15, 2022
Czech Republic
On further investigation I found that above 60 cadence the sound increases exponentially becoming louder than a Tesla at around 100 cadence. Strange thing is it has nothing to do with power assist level, and even steepness of road. So if I keep pedaling at a cadence lower than 50, I can still climb a 10pct grade road and the sound is just marginally higher than Bosch line active 2016 model. Now I will probably not return the bike, I will just readjust and wont pedal as fast as on my old bikes.

low cadence
high cadence
The sound occurs when the load on the motor and chain is low. So you need to pedal harder, change gears for lower cadence. A lot of dudes dont have this problem because of this. Light load doesn´t benefit silence :)

DOCTOR EBIKES

Jul 9, 2021
Terrassa ( SPAIN)
Hello, good evening, does anyone have problems charging the battery placed on the ebike...? For a couple of months if I charge the battery put in the ebike the charge takes 7 hours and when you check the charge it is at approximately 70%, you disconnect and reconnect and finish charging 4/5 hours later but without turning off the charger
On the contrary, with the battery outside, the charge is done in approximately 5 hours, everything working normally... Is something similar happening to someone...?

Donamici

Jan 1, 2022
Ireland
Hello, good evening, does anyone have problems charging the battery placed on the ebike...? For a couple of months if I charge the battery put in the ebike the charge takes 7 hours and when you check the charge it is at approximately 70%, you disconnect and reconnect and finish charging 4/5 hours later but without turning off the charger
On the contrary, with the battery outside, the charge is done in approximately 5 hours, everything working normally... Is something similar happening to someone...?
A pal had a similar issue, would not fully charge in the bike, but full charge when removed.

trailaddict

Jul 7, 2021
Alps
No, I don't see this behavior on my two 2022 bikes. I'm running the latest available firmware but can't tell you from the top of my head what version it is.
Have you claimed this failure qith your LBS or Giant already?

DOCTOR EBIKES

Jul 9, 2021
Terrassa ( SPAIN)
I have reported a breakdown in my shop but have also provided screenshots of reports from other people here in Spain having the same problem but here I was asking why based on what I read since the October update there are all kinds of problems with the batteries and their behavior, in fact since the charging issue failed me, the battery also behaves differently, now it takes longer to drop below 100% when I drive with it, since an update in October everything has changed. ..

trailaddict

Jul 7, 2021
Alps
.... the battery also behaves differently, now it takes longer to drop below 100% when I drive with it, since an update in October
Thats also my experience, but the total distance / altitude I'm getting from the battery remains the same. It just takes longer until the first two bars are gone.

Goughy75

Sep 22, 2019
UK
I had this problem. The bike shop I bought it from raised a warranty issue with the charger and replaced the charger. It charged OK with the new charger but I will have to charge a few more times to make sure its OK.

vte.ktm

Oct 30, 2021
Spain
I have reported a breakdown in my shop but have also provided screenshots of reports from other people here in Spain having the same problem but here I was asking why based on what I read since the October update there are all kinds of problems with the batteries and their behavior, in fact since the charging issue failed me, the battery also behaves differently, now it takes longer to drop below 100% when I drive with it, since an update in October everything has changed. ..
Me está pasando exactamente lo mismo, y ha sido justo desde la última actualización, antes en 5 horas todo ok, ahora la dejas toda la noche, y miras y está al 70%, la vuelves a conectar, y a veces no se queda eternamente cargando, me refiero, con el display verde parpadeando, no se queda fijo, luego miro, y esta al 100%, hace cosas muy raras, imagino que deben de sacar alguna actualización para solucionarlo.
Por otra parte, y en beneficio, me da la sensación que la batería parece, que dure un poco mas.
Si tienes alguna nueva información por favor informa, que me tiene el tema un poco mosca.
un saludo.
The exact same thing is happening to me, and it has been just since the last update, before in 5 hours everything was ok, now you leave it overnight, and you look and it's at 70%, you reconnect it, and sometimes it doesn't stay charging forever , I mean, with the green display blinking, it doesn't stay fixed, then I look, and it's 100%, it does very strange things, I imagine they should release an update to fix it.
On the other hand, and for the benefit, it gives me the feeling that the battery seems to last a little longer.
If you have any new information please inform me, that the subject has a little fly for me.
a greeting.

Last edited:

DOCTOR EBIKES

Jul 9, 2021
Terrassa ( SPAIN)
Me está pasando exactamente lo mismo, y ha sido justo desde la última actualización, antes en 5 horas todo ok, ahora la dejas toda la noche, y miras y está al 70%, la vuelves a conectar, y a veces no se queda eternamente cargando, me refiero, con el display verde parpadeando, no se queda fijo, luego miro, y esta al 100%, hace cosas muy raras, imagino que deben de sacar alguna actualización para solucionarlo.
Por otra parte, y en beneficio, me da la sensación que la batería parece, que dure un poco mas.
Si tienes alguna nueva información por favor informa, que me tiene el tema un poco mosca.
un saludo.
The exact same thing is happening to me, and it has been just since the last update, before in 5 hours everything was ok, now you leave it overnight, and you look and it's at 70%, you reconnect it, and sometimes it doesn't stay charging forever , I mean, with the green display blinking, it doesn't stay fixed, then I look, and it's 100%, it does very strange things, I imagine they should release an update to fix it.
On the other hand, and for the benefit, it gives me the feeling that the battery seems to last a little longer.
If you have any new information please inform me, that the subject has a little fly for me.
a greeting.
THIS WEEK I HAVE COMMUNICATED THE PROBLEM TO MY STORE THAT THEY HAVE TALKED WITH GIANT, THEY HAVE CONTACTED ME TO TELL ME THAT GIANT IS AWARE OF THE PROBLEM AND THEY ARE WORKING ON IT TO SOLVE IT, THAT THEY WILL RELEASE AN UPDATE SOON THAT WILL SOLVE THE PROBLEM, THAT WE ARE ATTENTION TO THE SUBJECT THEY WILL REMOVE IT AS SOON AS POSSIBLE. THIS IS THE LAST INFORMATION I HAVE.

Buckaroony

Dec 17, 2021
UK
THIS WEEK I HAVE COMMUNICATED THE PROBLEM TO MY STORE THAT THEY HAVE TALKED WITH GIANT, THEY HAVE CONTACTED ME TO TELL ME THAT GIANT IS AWARE OF THE PROBLEM AND THEY ARE WORKING ON IT TO SOLVE IT, THAT THEY WILL RELEASE AN UPDATE SOON THAT WILL SOLVE THE PROBLEM, THAT WE ARE ATTENTION TO THE SUBJECT THEY WILL REMOVE IT AS SOON AS POSSIBLE. THIS IS THE LAST INFORMATION I HAVE.
Hopefully they will reset my odometer again! #resalevalue

vte.ktm

Oct 30, 2021
Spain
Thanksss, graciasss

peddleaddict

Nov 22, 2021
Alpes Maritimes
Thanksss, graciasss
I have the same issue since the October firmware release - battery 650wh takes about 9-10 hours to charge and the smartcharger green LED blinks continuously even when the battery is at 100% - Lets hope that Giant engineers have the idea to test the next firmware release before forcing it on their clients via that shambolic "RideControl" app!

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles