Reign E+ 2022

emtbeast

Jan 10, 2022
Slovenia
Well I've done a few rides with the 800wh now. It fitted straight in to my Reign E+2 size medium (2022). I tried to fit it into my wife's Liv intrigue e+3 (2020 model) size small, but it wouldn't fit although the
The 800 should fit to these bikes the top list 2022 without adaptations.

The list in the chart only fits with an extra bought different battery cover and some also with a software update.

I also read somewhere that some S frames don't fit.

20221008_221952.jpg

Last edited:

Jurassic

Subscriber
Jul 22, 2022
Helensburgh, Scotland.
So do you need a different battery cover to fit the 800wh battery to the 2022 Reign? I'm sure I read that you did have to change the battery cover but that chart suggests otherwise. 🤔

emtbeast

Jan 10, 2022
Slovenia
So do you need a different battery cover to fit the 800wh battery to the 2022 Reign? I'm sure I read that you did have to change the battery cover but that chart suggests otherwise. 🤔
No you misunderstood my post the 2022 year bikes don't need a different cover.

The older bikes do.
...updated the chart with English text ✌⚡

Last edited:

pwiles1968

May 22, 2022
Leicestershire
Picked up the Giant e-bike light (Recon E HL 1000). Runs off the internal battery, pretty cool! It's this one: Recon E HL 1000 | Giant Bicycles Canada

View attachment 82950

Only silly thing is it doesn't have a dedicated off switch, so I mapped it to the middle hand control button (normally for walk assist, but I never use it). Seems you can change the button mapping in the app.

Looking forward to testing it out soon, as well as a helmet-mounted light I grabbed.
Did you fit the light yourself, how easy is the cable routing and where in the bike is the connector, thinking about getting one of thease for the bike and moving my magicshine 3500 to my helmet :)

Heems

May 4, 2022
California, US
6 months in I am still loving this bike. For its capabilities, its value and sheer fun. No major issue to report. After today’s ride noticed the Giant cover logo on the motor was about to come off. I do see a scratch in the front area so perhaps a rock hit it or the double sided tape gave out. Superglued it back on. 😅 hopefully it holds.
6175B35B-D6E6-45A7-8562-BEE9EEEA4767.jpeg
8237484A-2F8B-4022-B71B-21239E682B37.jpeg

Oldhack79

Aug 30, 2022
Perth, Western Australia
Hello,

So I almost hit 2000km on my Reign E+1 and thought I could do a writeup/review of my experiences with it so far. During the ownership I was also doing an analysis of my rides and battery consumption. Everything is also added in the writeup.

If someone finds it useful here it is, if not also fine.
🤟⚡...

Giant Reign E+1 M 2022 Impressions & Analysis

View attachment 96684

1. Bike Specs
  • True Weight( Pedals, Tubeless, 625Wh Battery ): 26Kg / 57,32 lb
  • Tires Stock: Maxxis DHF 29x2,6 EXO+ MaxxTerra / HR 29x2,5 DD MaxxTerra
  • Drivetrain Stock: Shimano XT 12 Speed( 36T/10-51T )
  • Battery: 625Wh (3983g / 8,78 lb), 800Wh(4341g / 9,57 lb)
  • Odometer: 1941 km / 1206 mi
  • Motor Max Power: 682W
2. Rider Specs
  • Rider Weight: 87Kg / 192 lb + Gear ≈ 90Kg / 198 lb
  • Rider Height and Inseam : 178cm / 84cm; 5feet 10inch / 33 inch
  • My FTP: 191W
  • Riding Type: Mix of Uphill/Downhill/Trails/Parks
  • Riding Terrain Split : Asphalt 1/5, Gravel 1/5, Forrest Access Roads 1/5, Loam Trails 1/5, Parks 1/5
  • Special Remarks: Do not use assistance on flat asphalt access roads(use it for warmup)
  • Pedals: Clipless
3. Analysis Base
  • Rides Nr.: 26x ( 13 x 625Wh Battery, 13 x 800Wh Battery )
  • Time Frame.: February 22 – Septmber 22
  • Ride temperature range: 5°C - 37°C / 41°F - 99°F
  • Pressure used: Uphill 2,1 Bar / 31 Psi; Downhill 1,3 Bar / 19 Psi
4. Ride Measurments ( 26x Ride Average )
  • Average Altitude Gain: 959 m / 3146 ft
  • Average Asscent Distance: 12,7 km / 7,9 mi
  • Average Total Distance: 30,6 km / 19 mi
  • Average Battery Consumption( Mix of 625Wh/800Wh ): 46% / 325Wh
  • Average Battery Consumption: 34Wh / 100m/328ft d+
  • Average Assistance Level used: 180% (Giant terminology) = 45% (Specialized terminology)
  • Average Incline: 8%
  • Average Battery consumption per (100m/328ft d+) at different Assistance Levels at 8% incline:
50% - 17Wh

75% - 23Wh

100% - 26Wh

125% - 28Wh

150% - 30Wh

175% - 33Wh

200% - 35Wh

250% - 37Wh

300% - 39Wh

350% - 40Wh

400% - 42Wh

• Longest Rides:
  • ( 625Wh Battery; 63,5km/39,5mi; 1745m/5725ft d+; 4h30m; 6,1 % Average Incline )
  • ( 800Wh Battery; 90,4km / 56,2mi; 2108m/6916ft d+; 4h34min; 6,2 % Average Incline )
6. Ride Impresions
  • Motor gets qiueter after first 250km/150mi.
  • Motor gets hot when ambient temperatures are above 30°C/86°F.
  • Motor cuts assistance at 23,5km/h to 24,5km/h in left(50-300%) and middle(75-350%) assistance settings in the App. Motor cuts assistance at 25,5km/h to 26,5km/h in right assistance settings(100-400%) in the App.
  • In contrast to the smooth cutout of assistance can the wall effect on the limit be quite annoying as it pulses on/off if the pedaling motion is not smooth and round, usually not a problem at least for(like to spin not mash on the pedals).
  • Motor can emitt an annoying resonance sound when chain is not under full tension( high cadence, big cogs on cassette and on flat terrain). 99% of the time you don't use this gear/ride combo, so very rarely it's bothering me.
  • Motor response to pedal presures is very sensitive but in contrast the power delivery is so smooth that it easily climbs up everything I throw at it.
  • Motor assistance is present in a very broad cadence range up to 120 rpm.
  • Motor noise is present to a level that you never forget its there but its quiet enough to not be bothersome.
  • By feel for me the motor works most optimal with the 175% assistance mode. The peak efficiency of electric motors is bettwen 55% - 85%. My FTP of 191W + 175% = 525W = 77% of Max Motor Power. So if you know your FTP you can calculate at which assistance level the motor will work most efficient for you.
  • After 1941Km there is no play in any parts of the frame, motor, etc…
  • The headset area sometimes creaks a bit, but a cleanup usually solves that(I suspect the crown race that is a cut type not the pressfit type.
  • I terms of sizing I am right bettwen M and L, I decided for the M because of the fact that ebikes due to their weight are inherently stable already so a smaller/shorter frame would be benficial for tight and twisty trails. Very rarely I miss a longer frame.
  • I ride the bike in HIGH position, I think the high position fork angle is the sweet spot for everything a man can ride.
  • The charger provided is great, has a 60% charge mode, perfect for battery storage. It is a smart charger, when it reaches 100% it goes on standby.
  • One special thing I noticed on one of my last rides is that if I pedal with also pulling up on the pedals(not common on e-bikes) the motor power delivery changes in a positive way. Feels as it's way more powerfull-reccomend trying.
  • The battery efficiency follows the typical li-ion discharge curves that point to a 15 to 20% loss of energy. For my measurments I took the numbers where ai noticed extremly low efficiency, those were the first 2% and last 13% of the battery which coresponds to a 15% loss of energy(heat, chemistry, etc…) per full battery charge. In laymans terms, every li-ion battery inherently has minus 15% juice from the stated one because off losses. By my measurments the first 2% and last 13% the efficiency is extremly low, you can expect that from any emtb battery as its inherent to all li-ion batteries.
7. Comparing Giant Assistace Levels vs Specialized or other similar type Assistance Levels(say if you have a buddy with a Levo and want to compare the Assistance level).

50% = 13%

75% = 19%

100% = 25%

125% = 31%

150% = 38%

175% = 44%

200% = 50%

250% = 63%

300% = 75%

350% = 88%

400% = 100%

Keep in mind that on the Levo it's also possible to decrease max torque( not possible on the Giant).

8. Upgrades or Replacement Parts
  • Had to change the KMC chain at 1200km as it has stretched up to 1,0 level. Running an XT chain now(perfect shifting).
  • Changed and cut the bars for more compliant carbon bars with more rise.
  • Changed the FOX 38 small fender to the XL fender(best choice).
  • Running an upsidedown front Mudhugger FRX on the rear, looks a litle Moto, but works like a charm.
  • Changed the lowest grade Shimano Rotors(that were not up to the task) to Galfer 223mm/203mm E rotors. Due to the 2mm thickness of the new rotors is the caliper alignment crucial, but once you get it perfect the Shimano XT/Galfer combo works incredible.
9. What I miss:
  • A possibility to see the charge state in % during charging without unpluging the charger and connecting the App.
  • A possibility to change Assistance level in 10% increments like Specialized new TCU has, in one Yt reviev it was proven that using that way of assistance control increases range.
  • Possibility to change the assistance mode settings without the use of the App that needs data reception.
  • A display showing battery state in %(I solved this by connecting a Garmin watch with an E-bike field, that also in post in the App showes assistance levels, battery consumption in a graph.
  • A possibility to decrease max torque in the settings(it would aid for better range).
  • An ergonomic(human friendly design) remote, the butons tilted towards the thumb and with haptic or/and audio feedback, as in MTB environment it is realy not recomended to look down if your press was succsesfull or not.
  • Longer dropper post( stock a 150mm on the M size ), planning to change that to a 180mm.
10. Issues
  • The Fox X2 shock had cavitation problems from the get go, its loud on the first few compressions, then it goes quiet. Otherwise its working fine.
  • The shifting can be clunky if you shift under load(I blame the 3 pawl freehub ratchet design with a longer engagement angle).
  • Had only one occasion that the motor decreased power due to overheating(realy hot day, hard/fast/long) climb with high cadence. 》》》Update - I thought I should describe the occasion: So the power decrease lasted maybe about 10 seconds overall, happened just under the top of the mountain(biggest incline), motor was still pulling but with less power and it was back to normal in the next minute(cooldown). I finished the rest of that ride without any issues. Must remark here the climb was a bit of an casual uphill race in higher assistance modes among friends it was 7km long with an altitude gain of 800m d+ on real mtb terrain, so you can imagine the system had to work extremely hard. As an electrical engineer by education I think the implementation of this kind of power decrease software is a good thing, to so protect the motor and battery system.
11. Good Stock E-bike Parts
  • Good - Freehub is a DT Swiss 350/370 Steel design – Strong(for the cassette not to eat into the splines), easy and cheap to swap for different brand cassettes.
  • Good – Suspension FOX 38 Performance Elite Grip 2 E-Tuned, FOX X2 Performance Elite E-Tuned. The E-Tune does make a difference(like sending a regular fork for a specific tuneup).
  • Good – Dropper Post being a generic Giant branded one is working suprisingly well and smooth.
  • Good – The tires are excellent, although the rear High Roller DD is wearing fast-the smaller/mullet size and the e-torque isnt helping here (probably going to last just one season). The front DHF EXO+ is still in great condition.
  • Good – Chainring Praxis Steel E-bike specific, good wear, easy goes 2 seasons.
Bad Stock E-bike Parts
  • Bad – Disc brake rotors Shimano SLX RT-66 are completly inadequate for stoping a 26kg Ebike downhill. They were loud, heated up fast and didnt do the job.
  • Bad – KMC Chain, while it lasted it has streched to fast and to long and with it you loose the Shimano Hyperglide shifting smoothnes(could be Giant speced the bikes with it because of supply shortages).
  • Bad – Fork crown race being a simple cut design not the pressfit design. It tends to start creaking here and there and once dirt gets inside.
Update:
Overall Ride Impresions are that the bike is extremely stable at higher speed(feels planted - first what came to my mind was - like a Tank with suspension), climbs up anything because of the so smoooth power delivery and almost 78° seat tube angle, If you go smaller frame also very maneuverable(you just wonder where did all the weight go). The E-tuned Fox suspension package is incredibly plush and in contrast very supportive midtravel, I think the E-Tune is a must for ebikes. Till this time I didn't have any serious problems with the motor, battery, charger, frame, suspension...so I think I can say it's been reliable for me. Would I buy it again, Yes, what you get is really a lot of bang for buck.

View attachment 96683 View attachment 96686 View attachment 96687 View attachment 96688
View attachment 96690
View attachment 96692 View attachment 96693
View attachment 96695
View attachment 96696
View attachment 96702 View attachment 96703
View attachment 96701 View attachment 96704
If anyone didn't see it yet also attaching some snaps of the PW-X 3 guts...
View attachment 96724 View attachment 96725

🤟⚡ Happy riding ⚡😉
Thanks for taking the time to pen all this info. Really helps prospective buyers like myself understand peoples real world experiences with the bike. Owners reviews are always the best 👍🏻

emtbeast

Jan 10, 2022
Slovenia
Thanks for taking the time to pen all this info. Really helps prospective buyers like myself understand peoples real world experiences with the bike. Owners reviews are always the best 👍🏻
You are welcome ✌⚡ couldn't agree more about owner reviews. Will probably throw this and some additional information into a Review ✌

emtbeast

Jan 10, 2022
Slovenia
Hey guys did anyone install a Smart Gateway update via the App in the last days?

Well I got my bike back from the first service obligatory for warranty and shock rebuild and before the first ride I got a prompt from the App and did the update.

Didn't notice anything wrong with the motor everything hardware wise is working like it should etc.

It was a suprise when I opened my Garmin stats where the Power readings were extremely extremely low, average power being at 8W where usually it was around 110ish W...
Screenshot_20221026-181003_Connect.jpg
I also noticed a slightly increased battery consumption, although that could have been to slippery wet ground, a lot of leaves, and to high tire pressure on a worn tire...needs more testing can't confirm it in one ride.

The other thing I noticed was the battery charging not being normal...from 43% to 93% it took 5h and it was still charging. Also after this one ride(that was an easy leisure ride) the battery health decreased by 1%...which is really weird because I started with 97% and finished with 43% so in the ballpark for lithium ion batteries and didn't push the system to its limits.

So the new Smart Gateway software is "20221017000" obviously dated 17Okt2022 vs the previous that was 20220505000 so 5May2022.

The battery 625Wh software also got updated from the previous version "23PF" to the new version "2317"
20221026_181602.jpg 20221026_181529.jpg
I tried repairing the sensors and using different ebike Garmin apps but the result was always the same.

Has anyone experienced something similar?

I hope it's just a glitch and that Giant didn't fuck up with this update and I need to wait for a fix...that would be annoying. ✌⚡

Last edited:

Heems

May 4, 2022
California, US
I applied the update a couple days ago. But I have not been out on a ride since so I can’t comment on the details you posted. The update itself went smoothly and all seems ok from a quick ride around the block. Have a proper ride coming up this weekend. Will report if I notice anything.

emtbeast

Jan 10, 2022
Slovenia
I updated and also noticed the Garmin power readings were very low.
The battery use seems to have improved slightly on mine though.
I was digging deeper today...trying different things, like disconnecting sensors, deleting sensors, different sensor combos, deleting and reinstalling Garmin apps just to rule out things. No success.
Didn't have time to try it with the 800Wh battery, tomorrow is another test ride on my usual test trail.
When you have the bike and Garmin connected there is an "about" section under the Power sensor in the Garmin device where you can see different info about it. I didn't notice this before as it was not in my interest.
What suprised me is that the crank length stated there was wrong(172,5mm). Could that be the issue for all the wrong readings...I am not a roadie so never had to work with power sensors but I would think it's important for accurate readings, or?
There are also options for wheel circumference in the Power sensor settings and in the Cadence/speed sensor settings...didn't try to set anything yet. But there is a manual and an auto option.
... photostudio_1666805084021.jpg

kgoran79

Apr 9, 2020
Hungary
I have also installed the update.
What I noticed is that when I switch off the bike and want to switch it on again within 5 seconds, only the display flashes and goes out. The second attempt has always worked so far.
I don't have a Garmin but a Sigma Rox 11.1, but since the update the cadence is not displayed. reconnecting the sensor didn't help either.

Line

Apr 2, 2022
Finland
Does your engine make a similar noise at high cadence on flat terrain? I already had the engine replaced once in the summer under warranty because of this sound. Now I complained about this so it is said that this sound is a characteristic of Yamaha.

I'm a little disappointed with the new Yamaha engine because the older one was much quieter

emtbeast

Jan 10, 2022
Slovenia
Does your engine make a similar noise at high cadence on flat terrain? I already had the engine replaced once in the summer under warranty because of this sound. Now I complained about this so it is said that this sound is a characteristic of Yamaha.

I'm a little disappointed with the new Yamaha engine because the older one was much quieter

This sound is as the shop told you characteristic for Yamaha motors, and has been talked about a lot in the thread...if the shop changed your motor they did you a favor as the didn't need to. As others have mentioned this sound happens when there is almost no or zero pressure on the pedals, so flat terrain low speed an low gearing(big cassette cogs) which let's be honest no one really ever uses...⚡

emtbeast

Jan 10, 2022
Slovenia
What I noticed is that when I switch off the bike and want to switch it on again within 5 seconds, only the display flashes and goes out. The second attempt has always worked so far.
I don't have a Garmin but a Sigma Rox 11.1, but since the update the cadence is not displayed. reconnecting the sensor didn't help either.
Interesting didn't have any issues like that...but could be related to the update.
This was actually my biggest fear when deciding for the Giant...their software r&d seems pretty average and so a lot of sh... can happen.

Megavolt

Jul 21, 2022
Moscow Russia
Hi,on my reign 1 happens the same thing, the brightness setting of the indicator in the frame is not fixed, always lit in night mode as I did not change it with the application!

Redlemon

Oct 30, 2021
Canada
No issues here with the latest firmware update. Never had any issues. Must just be lucky.
x2 no issues with latest update.

Also never had any single issue with the bike or problem with the motor, couldn't be more reliable and still on warranty for one more year anyway.

Riding for the last few times this year, still enjoying this bike a lot after 1800kms on it, would buy again!

Ride1.jpg

Megavolt

Jul 21, 2022
Moscow Russia
x2 no issues with latest update.

Also never had any single issue with the bike or problem with the motor, couldn't be more reliable and still on warranty for one more year anyway.

Riding for the last few times this year, still enjoying this bike a lot after 1800kms on it, would buy again!

View attachment 100228
We are not saying that this is a big problem))) rather a bug, but it is stressful, what if something else will be more serious when we go to ride far from home))))
The bike is great, no one is arguing.
Have a good ride guys.
p.s. the photo is cool

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles