Reign E+ 2022

sprousaTM

Mar 4, 2022
Germany
I installed the newest update for the bike and after the last update I finally got a good range again. The update I had on there before drained the battery really fast. I mostly use the 2 lowest support settings. The lowest is turned down to 50%, the second 125%. Before the newest update I barely got around 800 meters of elevation out of a fully charged battery with a mixture of lvl1 and 2 of support. Updated yesterday and went on a ride this morning. Same settings, using a mix of the 2 lowest while sometimes going higher. Had around 25% left after 1150 meters elevation and 45km.

I do have an issues though with the battery lock. It seems when turning the torx screw to pull in the battery into the frame it wont get pulled in far enough. Battery is rattling in the frame and I had to use cableties to hold the cover flush and the battery in. Inspected the lock mechanism and it seems to turn free, not pulling in the battery.

Does anyone know which spare part the lock is? I found Giant BatteryLock K234 Trance E+/ Intrigue E+ 2021 this one, but it states trance e+ 2021, while we ride the reign 2022 model. I does look pretty much identical though.

sprousaTM

Mar 4, 2022
Germany
Have you tried to adjust the lock using the secure Torx 25 screws?
You mean those 2 25 Trox with the pin in the middle? No I haven't. Did just order a tool for those. But regarding pictures on the lock I posted above the black part does not nearly come out as far as in the picture.. maybe half as far.
1679260491097.png

trailaddict

Jul 7, 2021
Alps
Yes, I talk about the two screws that mount the lockbtonthe frame. If you loose them, you can adjust the position of the lock.

If you think the lock is not coming far out enough use WD40 or Brunox to make things going.

Jurassic

Subscriber
Jul 22, 2022
Helensburgh, Scotland.
I was going to suggest adjusting the lock using the security T25s as well. My battery used to just fall out when I undid the locking Torx bolt so I had to adjust the position of the locking mechanism so that it's retained until I press the silver secondary release button when I'm taking it out. I had the battery just fall on the floor a couple of times before I did this. It didn't rattle when I was riding though so maybe you do have another issue?

ficorama

Oct 9, 2021
Croatia
I installed the newest update for the bike and after the last update I finally got a good range again. The update I had on there before drained the battery really fast. I mostly use the 2 lowest support settings. The lowest is turned down to 50%, the second 125%. Before the newest update I barely got around 800 meters of elevation out of a fully charged battery with a mixture of lvl1 and 2 of support. Updated yesterday and went on a ride this morning. Same settings, using a mix of the 2 lowest while sometimes going higher. Had around 25% left after 1150 meters elevation and 45km.

I do have an issues though with the battery lock. It seems when turning the torx screw to pull in the battery into the frame it wont get pulled in far enough. Battery is rattling in the frame and I had to use cableties to hold the cover flush and the battery in. Inspected the lock mechanism and it seems to turn free, not pulling in the battery.

Does anyone know which spare part the lock is? I found Giant BatteryLock K234 Trance E+/ Intrigue E+ 2021 this one, but it states trance e+ 2021, while we ride the reign 2022 model. I does look pretty much identical though.
greeting. what surface did you drive on? it seems to me that the range is too small for me. I have 800wh 🔋. with 800 wh I managed to do 40 km and 1900 altitude.

Rando_12345

Nov 16, 2022
France
New Giant Reign e+2 2022 owner, answering my own questions here:

Got it for 6k with both the 630 and 800 (on backorder 2 month wait) battery in France. Didn't push too hard, but realised quite fast that the shop didn't care at all if I kept the original battery, they would barely lower the price €200 without it. The 2023 models are backordered until August in France.

Out of the shop with tubes and the plastic pedals the bike weighs 25.8kg. But great news is that the tubes in mine were pretty much DH spec 350g each, so a lot of weight to shed going tubeless.

Positive surprises:
1) Despite the added weight and much longer geo, the bike is still plenty fun for me, although I am running extremely low sag front and back to keep it up high and poppy.
2) Love the minimalism of the controls, tiny controls and flush power mode and battery indicator. Further like that you can connect the phone in an instant to get the accurate battery reading.
3) Seatpost and brakes: knows quantities but still very happy with the range of motion on the seatpost, steep seat angles make a big difference. Brakes well strong despite not loving Sram levers.I will probably move over my 180mm oneup post and 223 galfer rotors, but good to know these are not necessary upgrades.

Negative surprises:
1) I knew this would happen, but my bike is like Rob's one in the review: the geo does not match the spec sheet. In low the bike was 62.9degrees and BB 325mm off the ground. Bumped it to high, headangle is at 63.8 (happy about this) but BB is still down around 332mm which is bonkers low for a 160mm bike. Even with the 160mm cranks I smashed the pedals a number of times and even the motor protection got hooked up a few times. Need to figure out something for this: massive under headset spacer, custom length shock, bigger rear tyres...
2) Power is not that impressive, I did an hour long test in the most powerful mode. Coming from an e8000 with 20% less torque and max asistance set to 200% assistance, the max power on the Giant feels roughly similar despite a claimed 85NM of torque and 400% assistance. To be clear, I don't need more power than there is, but I was expecting a much bigger bump up, I found myself getting quite tired during sprints and you can't quite just sit and spin on the flat. That being said I do think you get more power out of the motor on smooth inclines, and I did clear very technical climbs without issue.
3) Horrendous cracking sounds from the drivetrain in steep climbs, I'll ask the shop to sort it out if it persists after the drivetrain upgrade.

Up next:
Waiting on a front wheel delivery, going to go with a pair of EX 1700 wheels, which I am expecting to drop the rolling weight 300g, switching up the drivetrain to 11s X01 to drop another 300g of unsprung weight, so adding all that up with tubeless it may well be that the felt power changes dramatically. I'll dust out my gopro for a rolling review once it is setup.

Chuggz

Dec 13, 2019
Australia
Been waiting for a factory motor cover in Australia.
Dealer says on back order…..
Any one got any hot tips on where to buy online ?

NicoMTB

May 8, 2022
France Grenoble area

Have you tried the launch tunning? can it help to tone down the engine when you start in a slippery greasy slope?

NicoMTB

May 8, 2022
France Grenoble area
greeting. what surface did you drive on? it seems to me that the range is too small for me. I have 800wh 🔋. with 800 wh I managed to do 40 km and 1900 altitude.
I get about the same 40 to 50 km high altitude 1700 to 2000m vertical. And I'll finish with 15 to 20% left but I do ride with 2.5 dh casing sticky DH tires, Assegai up front Dissector at the rear... I think i can improve that with fitness, as most of the tour will be in eco except in steep technical climbs

Last edited:

ficorama

Oct 9, 2021
Croatia
I get about the same 40 to 50 km high altitude 1700 to 2000m up. and I'll finish with 15 to 20% left but a do ride with 2.5 dh casing sticky DH tires, Assegai up front Dissector at the rear... I think i can improve thta with fitness, as most of the tour will be in eco except in steep technical climbs
Which battery you have? I drive in 1 and 2 assist.

Trickz

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Sep 2, 2019
Burton upon Trent
nearly..i think someone is trying to tell me not to bother with this bike.replacement came from giant even worse,asked for a refund🙈mayb I can bag a 2023 model this time next year😂

pwiles1968

May 22, 2022
Leicestershire
Picked up my bike yesterday, bearings were all good according to the bike shop.

The axle in the pivot was however dry as hell generating the creaking. Giant is not greasing the lower triangle pivot along with the lower shock pivot, I would highly recommend everyone to grease these 2 axles located in these pivots before it's getting very hard to remove and creaking.

These pivots/axles should be greased day one when the bike is new.
All of the bearings axles etc were dry on my bike from new greased them while looking for a creak on my bike that turned out to be the seat tube.

sprousaTM

Mar 4, 2022
Germany

Surface was wet, muddy and feeling pretty tough on 50% power. I "only" have the 625Wh battery though, run a beefy hellkat up front and a heavy supergravity Schwalbe in the back plus some extra weight from coilshock / xl frame. My weight of around 220 does not help either. It feels ok range wise now. It was really bad before the update. My friend who is 45 pounds lighter gets more range out of his 500wh battery with Ep8000 motor.

I was going to suggest adjusting the lock using the security T25s as well. My battery used to just fall out when I undid the locking Torx bolt so I had to adjust the position of the locking mechanism so that it's retained until I press the silver secondary release button when I'm taking it out. I had the battery just fall on the floor a couple of times before I did this. It didn't rattle when I was riding though so maybe you do have another issue?
I tried adjusting the lock with no success. It was spot on.
Yes, I talk about the two screws that mount the lockbtonthe frame. If you loose them, you can adjust the position of the lock.

If you think the lock is not coming far out enough use WD40 or Brunox to make things going.

In the end I took the look out and opened it. The mechanism is not so thought out after all. Basically the t25 torx screw moves a block of metall with a sharp edge over a 45° angle flat surface to push out the locking bolt. In my case it had scratched the surface so much, that with no grease/oil it simply could not move. I polished the surface and put in a bunch of grease, works perfectly again.

pwiles1968

May 22, 2022
Leicestershire
They have been looking at the new Giant Bikes a lot on EMBN its the New Light Trance not Reign BUT they have the same App and they have been discussing the different settings including the Launch Setting, The Launch if you did not know controls how fast the power builds to the max you have set for the mode I was not sure now I know :). Video here starts at 7:20

Redlemon

Oct 30, 2021
Canada
For anyone who was considering going for shorter cranks, I can confirm they totally transform the ride.
Went for Hope 155mm on my medium and absolutely loving them - hardly ever get pedal strikes now. No effect on pedal performance that I could detect.

Still running the oem Praxis cranks on mine, but I'm just wondering what is the offset of the Hope cranks that everyone are buying ? Standard ?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles