Reign E+ 2022

Micasco

Jan 9, 2023
Portugal
I have the same problem, the freehub has been cleaned and greased several times, but it only worked for a short time.
After some investigation and testing I ended up finding out that was the problem.

The problem is with the axle pacer the original is aluminum and the ones they sell to replace are steel.

Basically axle space starts to wear out and when tightening the axle screw with the indicated 15 nm, it starts to put a lot of load on the bearings. A way to test to see if this is your problem is to tighten the shaft screw with 9/10 nm if it works fine, that's the problem.

In my case that was the problem and the part that needs to be bought is this one

big_scot_nanny

Subscriber
Nov 23, 2022
Scotland
Excellent, thanks for sharing the feedback. Could be useful!

I am a user of Hope and Hunt hubs mostly, but on my Reign this is my first DT Swiss, sorry I could not offer more advice other than confirming the diagnostic. I did wonder about spacers, on Hope Hubs there is a little washer that I sometimes forget between hub body and freehub, and it then exhibits the same symptoms.

Anyway, well done, and thanks again for sharing the outcome.

Rando_12345

Nov 16, 2022
France
First big ride away from my local trails. Great day out despite 2 broken spokes on my rear ex1700 wheel :/

Borrowed a 750Wh battery from the shop along with my 625Wh, did a total of 2500m of climbing over 60km. I got 1500m of elevation done in 2 hours over 35km with a few steep climbs almost entirely in max power mode with the 750Wh, was a bit bummed about the short time until empty, but the elevation was what I expected. I felt like the last 20% evaporated into thin air and I had to pedal in off mode the last mostly flat 3 km.

Bike feels good though, great to have almost 0 weight penalty for the 750Wh (300g according to my scales), can't wait for my 800Wh and slightly warmer conditions.

Video of one descent here to give myself some credibility :p

Rando_12345

Nov 16, 2022
France
Cheers, yes bonkers dry down here, this place is usually "hero dirt" big grain sand all winter, but right now it is as dusty as a typical late summer day, blown out corners and all...

Heartbreakingly, this track was built during the lockdowns and was beyond mint just 2 years ago, will probably be ruined in a few seasons. The soil is just too sandy in some parts.

Evelhornet

Feb 13, 2023
Wales
For anyone who was considering going for shorter cranks, I can confirm they totally transform the ride.
Went for Hope 155mm on my medium and absolutely loving them - hardly ever get pedal strikes now. No effect on pedal performance that I could detect.
View attachment 110088
I've also changed mine to 155 FSA CK400 cranks arms and thinner Spank Oozy pedals. Makes a massive difference🤘

emtbeast

Jan 10, 2022
Slovenia
For anyone who was considering going for shorter cranks, I can confirm they totally transform the ride.
Went for Hope 155mm on my medium and absolutely loving them - hardly ever get pedal strikes now. No effect on pedal performance that I could detect.
View attachment 110088
Hey, did u use the original hardware(screws,bolts,...) or do hope cranks come with some?

pwiles1968

May 22, 2022
Leicestershire
I wish the Smart Assist assistance level could be adjusted. It doesn't feel natural at all to me. I hope the opportunity would come sometime.

It's great that these updates came.
I hate the auto assist , I so want to like it but there are so many things i dont like about it, I stick with manual modes.

pwiles1968

May 22, 2022
Leicestershire
I felt like the last 20% evaporated into thin air and I had to pedal in off mode the last mostly flat 3 km.
It does as I found out, you may as well work out your distance based on 90% use as the last 10% drops very quickly its just how lithium batteries work its annoying but once you get your head around it is fine - they must be able to calibrate this out in software and show actual energy remaining in the battery but they dont dont think anyone does.

Jurassic

Subscriber
Jul 22, 2022
Helensburgh, Scotland.
Anyone recommend a downtube/battery cover...

I bought one from amazon that's says upto 38cm but its was too small (tbh it was more a 36cm one...)
Flintronic E-bike Battery Cover, Anti-Scratch Battery Protection Cover for Integrated Frame Battery, Against Water/Dust/Cold, Extending the Runtime and Life - Universal 30-38 cm Circumference https://amzn.eu/d/1ji0BWQ
I bought this one and it just about fits. I had to cut a section out to clear my Fidlock bottle mount but it does work okay (on my large frame).

Giant calum

Feb 12, 2023
Scotland
Flintronic E-bike Battery Cover, Anti-Scratch Battery Protection Cover for Integrated Frame Battery, Against Water/Dust/Cold, Extending the Runtime and Life - Universal 30-38 cm Circumference https://amzn.eu/d/1ji0BWQ
I bought this one and it just about fits. I had to cut a section out to clear my Fidlock bottle mount but it does work okay (on my large frame).
That's the one I bought and I can get about 1 x 10cm section of the velcro to overlap nothing else measured it showes more like 37cm

Redlemon

Oct 30, 2021
Canada
Weird issue on my bike as I'm not able to remove the battery anymore.

I press the little metal clip to undo it and the battery comes down 1cm, but then it's getting stuck again.

I believe the mechanism moved down just a little bit or the lock is not coming back enough by a small margin.

emtbeast

Jan 10, 2022
Slovenia

I press the little metal clip to undo it and the battery comes down 1cm, but then it's getting stuck again.

I believe the mechanism moved down just a little bit or the lock is not coming back enough by a small margin.
Like trailaddict said, adjust the mechanism, although you will need a safety torx bit for it...one advice from my experience is to do it with the bike in normal(not upside down) position, so the battery doesn't push down on the lock mechanism while you align it. It's a tedious job as it needs to be set very precise for good operation. Good luck.

Nomad1

Apr 2, 2023
After some investigation and testing I ended up finding out that was the problem.

The problem is with the axle pacer the original is aluminum and the ones they sell to replace are steel.

Basically axle space starts to wear out and when tightening the axle screw with the indicated 15 nm, it starts to put a lot of load on the bearings. A way to test to see if this is your problem is to tighten the shaft screw with 9/10 nm if it works fine, that's the problem.

In my case that was the problem and the part that needs to be bought is this one

I another option upgrade to a DT Swiss ratchet

Redlemon

Oct 30, 2021
Canada
Like trailaddict said, adjust the mechanism, although you will need a safety torx bit for it...one advice from my experience is to do it with the bike in normal(not upside down) position, so the battery doesn't push down on the lock mechanism while you align it. It's a tedious job as it needs to be set very precise for good operation. Good luck.

Wow that was not that easy job honestly, not sure if there's a proper technique. I did it without the battery in the frame.

I must've bolted/unbolted the mechanism at least 12 times before I got it and it's not even perfect.

I can now release battery, but I must give it a little pull as it's rubbing just a little...doesn't bother me that much as I can get it out anyway.

Thanks guys!

psst!!!...

Mar 2, 2022
Portugal
I another option upgrade to a DT Swiss ratchet
good day all,

another option is to order a couple of wheels of your liking and keep the originals new. so you dont even worry about changing the freehub.
we can find good wheels (very good indeed) and reasonable prices, if you dont make a point of being carbon.

pwiles1968

May 22, 2022
Leicestershire

I had a similar issue had to pry the battery out carefully, i ended out removing and stripping my latch a small piece of plastic had lodged inside preventing the latch from fully winding out removed it greased the mech and it was fine.

Rando_12345

Nov 16, 2022
France
Has anyone increased the travel of their Zeb/38 to 180mm travel at all? If so, how much difference do you feel it's made?
I just spoke to one of the top suspension guys in France (Novyparts) about doing this to my Zeb, his answer was: if you are looking to affect your geo go ahead, but from a suspension point of view it is very hard to get full travel out of a 180mm without making it too soft overall.

Question: Anyone have/fixed a weird delayed response in their suspension, kind of like an aftershock: if I smash over a rock, I will get delayed shake/pull from the rear suspension about a quarter/half second later. Similar feel to wearing a loose backpack that smacks back into you after landing jumps...

It feels really like something heavy is loose on the bike, e.g. the battery is shaking in the frame, but this isn't the case everything is solid. My two theories are that it is either the new derailleur (11s GX) with an overly tight spring pulling against the suspension, or the shock (Fox Float DPX2) isn't setup right or giving issues (I tried using a lot of rebound and no rebound to little effect)... Anyone feel something similar or have advice in general (beyond "avoid the rocks")

NicoMTB

May 8, 2022
France Grenoble area
I just spoke to one of the top suspension guys in France (Novyparts) about doing this to my Zeb, his answer was: if you are looking to affect your geo go ahead, but from a suspension point of view it is very hard to get full travel out of a 180mm without making it too soft overall.

Question: Anyone have/fixed a weird delayed response in their suspension, kind of like an aftershock: if I smash over a rock, I will get delayed shake/pull from the rear suspension about a quarter/half second later. Similar feel to wearing a loose backpack that smacks back into you after landing jumps...

It feels really like something heavy is loose on the bike, e.g. the battery is shaking in the frame, but this isn't the case everything is solid. My two theories are that it is either the new derailleur (11s GX) with an overly tight spring pulling against the suspension, or the shock (Fox Float DPX2) isn't setup right or giving issues (I tried using a lot of rebound and no rebound to little effect)... Anyone feel something similar or have advice in general (beyond "avoid the rocks")
Max from NovyParts is a smart guy, you couldn't get better advice ;) Have you tried riding chainless over these stones? At least you would know if it is your transmission... otherwise check torque of your tightened bolts. otherwise your shock may need servicing maybe has some sticking points or an issue with rebound being too slow. do you have acess to an other shock to try?

Kevjob51

May 22, 2022
Colorado
Question on battery life. I have the 22 Reign e+2.

I have 800 miles on it, 11 charge cycles and battery health is 99%. Had it for about year but only rode it about half that time due to injury.
This normal for miles ridden and time for battery to drop to 99%?

trailaddict

Jul 7, 2021
Alps
Don't worry. It is only an estimate of the Battery Management System. Mine got down to 92 after 80 full cycles within two years and this is the norm. Its a battery, so wear is expected.

LJR69

Jan 4, 2022
UK
Question on battery life. I have the 22 Reign e+2.

I have 800 miles on it, 11 charge cycles and battery health is 99%. Had it for about year but only rode it about half that time due to injury.
This normal for miles ridden and time for battery to drop to 99%?
If you won’t be riding the bike for a while remember to charge the battery only to 60%. The smart charger that comes with the bike can do this. Just press the long led button so it shows orange.

Sherman

May 9, 2018
3rd Rock
There must be something wrong with my E+2. After riding it a year and a half, I still have no urge to swap it for something new and shiny. It's just so good. Like it just keeps getting better 🙃

I will update status at 2 years of ownership, longest that I have ever owned an (e)bike.

Happy trails everyone!

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles