Reign E+ 2022

Nomad1

Apr 2, 2023
REI has Vittoria MAzza e tires for 20.00.

I assume 2.6 would fit in rear?
Holly crap that's cheap! I just literally order a new rear tire for my 2022 and then I see this. It's a close out so I get they'd discount it but that's huge drop in price even considering that and it's at REI to boot. I'll keep my order but someone should grab those at that price even if they turned out to be not that good.

Kevjob51

May 22, 2022
Colorado
Holly crap that's cheap! I just literally order a new rear tire for my 2022 and then I see this. It's a close out so I get they'd discount it but that's huge drop in price even considering that and it's at REI to boot. I'll keep my order but someone should grab those at that price even if they turned out to be not that good.
2.6 fit in rear?

Rickster

Subscriber
Feb 19, 2022
Ok BC Canada
Hey isn’t anyone de-restricting their ride anymore ? I have this usedchip for sale at a give away price of $100 posted for months and no takers, how come ?

Rando_12345

Nov 16, 2022
France
I run a different Vittoria tyre in 2.8 in the rear, no issues. tyre is fine, rubber is a bit hard, but for the price I paid it's a good deal.

pwiles1968

May 22, 2022
Leicestershire
I was doing a strip and check on the bike the other day and noticed one of the bearings around lower chain stay was a bit rough so looked on line for some replacements, i actually looked for a list of what bearings went where, I could not find one so had to strip the bike again check, and take photos of the bearings for reference, thought this may be helpful to others. Arrows not perfectly placed but you get the idea.

Screenshot 2023-06-13 at 19.52.17.png

boarder87

Oct 4, 2022
Germany
Yesterday I received an update for the Smart Gateway (Release early june).
Has somebody noticed any changes?
Distance with wahoo reports still wrong values, same for power wattage.

I noticed today, that my Wahoo Roam computer connects with the reign in charge mode and show the current battery percentage. The gateway seems to be active while charging.

trailaddict

Jul 7, 2021
Alps
I installed the Update yesterday and did a challenging lap with it. Had the feeling as if the support was overall somewhat less with the exact same settings as before. I've used the app to turn up launch in Level 3 and 4 to compensate for it. Could be that Giant wants to tackle the current problem of some engines, which can overheat at higher temperatures in level 4 and 5.

Nobrks

Sep 16, 2021
Denmark
Did the update have any change on the cutout speed, conservative 24km/h ?
Bit unfaire when “some other brands” race versions cut off at 27km/h wich is the maximum allowed acc to EU laws.

emtbeast

Jan 10, 2022
Slovenia
Hey guys, so did the June Gateway update, went smooth.

First I had a feeling that the motor sounded a bit quieter, not sure, just a feeling.

I can now turn on the gateway during charging also as said before.

Didn’t notice a power cap as also said before.

I did the first ride after with a charged battery, all was fine.

The second charging process after the update(battery in bike) was messed up, it charged up to 61%(storage mode was off) and didn't go further(waited for an hour).

Battery performed fine with the 61%, discharged fully.
Charged it up to 100% off the bike tonight.

Not sure if that was like that before, but getting to 5% remainingOrange LED On constant, 3% remaining Orange LED blinking only ECO mode available, 1% remaining Orange LED blinking, no Assistance available.

The App Syncdrive motor settings, they reset to factory every time(pretty fu....g annoying) I remove the battery from the bike(I think), need to pinpoint down the exact reason.

No other flaws(power readings) were fixed.

And to Giant if someone is reading, again, there is no God da... changelog Giant, why? Why is that so hard to add in the App. I mean the App is an integral part of the bike, it was marketed with the App. You are basically charging our property without telling us what is being done...?!

Line

Apr 2, 2022
Finland
It happened to me today that after the night I went to pick up the bike from charging.
Had the battery only charged from zero to 21%, the blue light was still flashing.

We had to delay our departure by more than 2 hours so that I could fully charge the bike's battery. Really annoying.

It was the first download after the update. Otherwise, I wouldn't have updated the software on this trip, but the ride control seemed to get mixed up in the speed readings, while driving the speed was between 0 and 24 km/h, I thought it would work better after the update and it did.

Some strange thing when starting to move, the assistance comes on but stops for a second and turns on again and continues normally with continuous assistance.

We did a 65km hike in the mountains. I ran out of 750wh battery and two friends had specialized bikes with more than 20% of the 700wh battery remaining. We drove the same distance and we all saved the battery. I wonder about that big difference in battery consumption.

Line

Apr 2, 2022
Finland
The App Syncdrive motor settings, they reset to factory every time(pretty fu....g annoying) I remove the battery from the bike(I think), need to pinpoint down the exact reason.
I noticed this same thing. The setting had gone to factory settings after charging the battery.

trailaddict

Jul 7, 2021
Alps
Same here :-/
Very, very slow charging when Battery is inside the bike.
Reset of Motor settings at every charge cycle.
No improvements with regards to overheating and flashing LEDs.

Bordtea

Oct 2, 2022
Gloucester, UK
It happened to me today that after the night I went to pick up the bike from charging.
Had the battery only charged from zero to 21%, the blue light was still flashing.

We had to delay our departure by more than 2 hours so that I could fully charge the bike's battery. Really annoying.

It was the first download after the update. Otherwise, I wouldn't have updated the software on this trip, but the ride control seemed to get mixed up in the speed readings, while driving the speed was between 0 and 24 km/h, I thought it would work better after the update and it did.

Some strange thing when starting to move, the assistance comes on but stops for a second and turns on again and continues normally with continuous assistance.

We did a 65km hike in the mountains. I ran out of 750wh battery and two friends had specialized bikes with more than 20% of the 700wh battery remaining. We drove the same distance and we all saved the battery. I wonder about that big difference in battery consumption.
I think the poor battery consumption isn’t related to the update - they are just really bad at using power. I’m currently away with a friend on a 750wh Bosch powered Cube and by the time I’m at 50% battery there’s a 15-20% difference in consumption. Both riding the same trails in similar modes!

Nobrks

Sep 16, 2021
Denmark
I think the poor battery consumption isn’t related to the update - they are just really bad at using power. I’m currently away with a friend on a 750wh Bosch powered Cube and by the time I’m at 50% battery there’s a 15-20% difference in consumption. Both riding the same trails in similar modes!
I ride alot with a patner on 625wh Boch, the differane in endurane are more minimum, as ny leg power gets better,the digferance is down to minimum!

Bad-Latitude

Aug 21, 2022
Simi Valley
Hey all,
So yesterday I did the newest update on my bike before going on a ride. I was about 6 miles in of mostly fire road climbing and I was using the adaptive mode. I was nearing the top of the climb when the bike automatically kicked me into a lower assist mode. The fifth might on the power assist mode side was flashing orange. I stopped for a few minutes in the shade and the orange light went away. The bike was completely find the remainder of the ride. I’m aware the orange light was indicating that the motor was getting hot but it was only 80 degrees out and I rode last year in the 100 degree SoCal heat and that never happened. Is this likely from the new update? Has anyone else had this issue.

trailaddict

Jul 7, 2021
Alps
Yes, this overheating is happening more often since the march update. With the June Update, some Bikes are charging extremely slow and motor settings are lost after every charging cycle or when you have removed the battery.

jar2b

May 13, 2023
Corsica
Same here with 2022 reign e+2 :
  • weird charging issues charging battery on bike
  • motor settings lost charging battery off bike
  • heat shutdown always/more happens
  • weird motor cuts at start with light pedaling
Giant must release a new patch with old firmware ... :cry:

Last edited:

Line

Apr 2, 2022
Finland
Strange that they even release such an unstable update. Definitely need to get the older update back. Not a very complicated program and they fail with this one..again..

emtbeast

Jan 10, 2022
Slovenia
Hey guys, to give my updaye regarding the issues that came with the latest Smart Gateway update. So the facts:

After the update I had similar issues as described in my previous post.

I have two batteries and have been switching them...the one 625Wh that didn't charge ok on the bike is now full(charged off the bike). Haven't had time to go ride it.

The second battery 800Wh was also charged off the bike and riden down to 24% and then charged to 58% in storage mode on the bike as a test, that went OK. After that I tried charging normally in the bike and it worked fine from 58% to 76% in about 30min. I have to do a ride on each of the batteries to confirm if the bug is still present or it was just a temporary issue.

After that I tried switching the batteries and figuring out what causes the motor settings to get reset. If I switched the batteries right away the settings stayed the same. Also plugging in the charger didn't reset the motor settings. Don't know if this is a feature or a bug of the update.

What did reset them, was pressing the power button on the bike when there was no battery in it(all LEDs lit up for a second in that case-as if that drains the last charge(capacitor) that stays somewhere in the system and holds the settings alive). Also the settings were reset if leaving the battery outside the bike overnight( probably because the charge in capacitors slowly discharges over a period of time).

Then there is one more interesting thing that I observed that wasn't present before the update. Hope I can describe it in an easy way. My generation probably all know the Knight Rider car LEDs and the way they lit up. Well the right column(battery)of LEDs on the bike occasionally(seen it twice for sure) lits up a similar way when the bike is turned on. They all light up and then turn off in order top to bottom and the back on from bottom to top, as If the system is doing some kind of self check.
I tried to record it I think about 20 times(turning On/Off), but no luck, now I have my camera ready every time when I turn it On...don't know why or when or what activates it or if this is a feature of the update or not. That's why I bash on Giant for not providing a changelog for the updates.

Some have reported overheating, I haven't had that since last year(where it happened once on a really hot day and a looong steep climb in modes 3,4 and 5, although now it wasn't really hot here so could be that.

Some have also reported strange behavior when you turn on Assistance the motor engages for a brief moment, then cutts out and continues engaging again normally.
Will try to do a video later or if anyone has it already? I had that with my motor from the beginning-thought that was normall as it didn't create any other issues, unless it's somehow connected to the overheating issue. Do your motors behave differently?

This is actually the first update from all that has caused issues with my bike and I always make sure I do the update just with WiFi and in airplane mode.

Unfortunately the power readings issue was obviously not addressed by Giant with this update.

Hope they fix it soon or that it's just a temporary bug, until the system gets it self straight.

What are the experiences from other that had this the last year?

Last edited:

Mr Dog

Sep 26, 2021
Switzerland
I have just got back to the forum after not using my Reign for a long time. I have been between houses and living out of a van for most of this year. I decided to put the Giant in storage and stick with my well used Trek Rail. I had a few issues with the Giant software during 22. Initially it was cutting out of assistance way to early - around 22.5kph and was cutting in an out abruptly. At one point around August I guess, it got fixed and the bike was working really well. Assistance cut out seemed to be at 25kph and was much less abrupt. I had one overheat issue on a hot day/long fire road (~1000m vertical). Then around December I had an update which somehow seemed to step back the positive changes that were made previously. Cut out speed reduced to around 23.5kph and the abrupt cut in/out returned. Can’t comment on charging as I was charging off bike at that time.

After 6 months of storage I hoped to come back and read stories of perfection and maybe even improved functionality/range (which I never found to be significantly different to the Trek) etc.

It’s a bummer to hear that they still have not been able to master such a fundamental attribute and that there are no official responses or communication paths open with Giant.

Anyway I am sat with a broken arm at the moment and told that I’m in a cast for at least 4 weeks. Wishful thinking I feel but maybe they will have it fixed by the time I’m fixed.

Kevjob51

May 22, 2022
Colorado
did the update. no overheating yet. charging on bike took 4 hours to get 20% more. took battery out charged as normal to 100%. No idea why the app would f up the charging stuff. Never had an issue before. Aside from app I love this bike, wuiet powerful and lovely on descents!

emtbeast

Jan 10, 2022
Slovenia
I have just got back to the forum after not using my Reign for a long time. I have been between houses and living out of a van for most of this year. I decided to put the Giant in storage and stick with my well used Trek Rail. I had a few issues with the Giant software during 22. Initially it was cutting out of assistance way to early - around 22.5kph and was cutting in an out abruptly. At one point around August I guess, it got fixed and the bike was working really well. Assistance cut out seemed to be at 25kph and was much less abrupt. I had one overheat issue on a hot day/long fire road (~1000m vertical). Then around December I had an update which somehow seemed to step back the positive changes that were made previously. Cut out speed reduced to around 23.5kph and the abrupt cut in/out returned. Can’t comment on charging as I was charging off bike at that time.

After 6 months of storage I hoped to come back and read stories of perfection and maybe even improved functionality/range (which I never found to be significantly different to the Trek) etc.

It’s a bummer to hear that they still have not been able to master such a fundamental attribute and that there are no official responses or communication paths open with Giant.

Anyway I am sat with a broken arm at the moment and told that I’m in a cast for at least 4 weeks. Wishful thinking I feel but maybe they will have it fixed by the time I’m fixed.
Hope u get well dude, an interesting fact about the cut off speed I realized and now remembered I also need to edit in my review somewhere back in this thread. I was seeing different cutoff speeds with my bike in different modes. Usually it was a bit lower than 25kmh.

Don't know what others were/are using for measuring speed, but I used my thrusty Garmin Fenix 6 watch that I had connected with the bike.

I always thought the speed I see on the watch was GPS speed, well the truth was far from reality. The show speed was the speed based on the connected bikes wheel circumference settings in the cadence/speed sensor. Will explain further...
20230703_170750.jpg 20230703_170759.jpg 20230703_173655.jpg
The first time I became suspicious was when mid ride I glanced at the watch saying "wheel size calibrated" or something like that. I was like, ok great, didn't bother with it to much.

Well the next ride was a fast one, pushing hard, where I thought the bike had gone crazy, it was assisting up to 27kmh when it cutoff.

Then I started to deep dive into my Garmin and the bike sensors and also did some testing. To my surprise the cadence/speed sensor of the bike has a setting for Manual or Auto wheel circumference calibration in Garmin, that was set to Auto. As this is an mtb it is possible that the Auto calibration on rough terrain isn't very accurate. That's exactly what happened, The saved settings were wrong an so was the displayed speed. During my first test attempts with different max out wheel circumference settings I even thought I have free tuning, as the speed shown was close to 38kmh...but comparing it to GPS speed that was around 25ish I realized the point of everything. 🙆🤷‍♂️🙃It crazy how the mind works when it's fixed on an idea.

I have then set the sensor calibration to Manual and manually entered the correct circumference and since then the cutoff speed was always the same. It is possible that this can/did happen with other cycling computers or third party devices connected to the bike,...etc...

Maybe someone will also have a revelation like me...🙃

Last edited:

peddleaddict

Nov 22, 2021
Alpes Maritimes
I applied the latest July SW update this week, I wanted to get some stats off the GIant App.
On-bike battery charging has reverted back to the woefully inadequate "forever to 82%" mode!
Noticed no differences other than the regression in charging speed!
Bike is no faster, no slower, has same power, no smoother, same app features etc...
So... don't waste your time!
Guess we'll wait for the next update to fix the stuff that was fixed before!
Very poor Giant, very poor indeed - as others have said, please publish a release note for updates so we can decide to NOT apply them if not useful and also remove the obligatory update feature from the app - it sucks!

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles