Reign E+ 2022

Buckaroony

Dec 17, 2021
UK
There must be something wrong with my E+2. After riding it a year and a half, I still have no urge to swap it for something new and shiny. It's just so good. Like it just keeps getting better 🙃

I will update status at 2 years of ownership, longest that I have ever owned an ebike.

Happy trails everyone!
I feel the same. Awesome machine.

Implor

Nov 8, 2021
Sweden
There must be something wrong with my E+2. After riding it a year and a half, I still have no urge to swap it for something new and shiny. It's just so good. Like it just keeps getting better 🙃

I will update status at 2 years of ownership, longest that I have ever owned an ebike.

Happy trails everyone!
It’s not perfect in anyway. Just to make a more nuance picture if someone considers buying one.

1. BB is too low. Even with 155mm cranks I get more strikes than my other bike with 170mm.

2. This might be a full emtb problem but the bike do not carry speed. Bike will not accelerate unless it is a decent decline. This means you need to constantly pedal to keep speed and point 1 makes this a problem.

3. Charger is finicky. Leaving it permanently connected and it will discharge the battery edger a while. Unsure if this is a feature or bug. Documentation say nothing about it. It do not go to zero but 60-80%.

Depending where you ride it’s a great bike or a frustrating pice of kit.

Super low bb with no bashguard included or possible to fit its a major fail. Including a 36T front chain ring that will scrape any medium size rock you try to get over is also an odd decision.

trailaddict

Jul 7, 2021
Alps
My LBS asked me recently which E-MTB I'd like to ride next year so they consider it in their pre-ordering.
But I like my Reign e+ so much, would only exchange it for a lighter Carbon Version ;-)
Other than a replaced frame (rocker was rubbing against seatstrays) no faults, electronic failures or whatsovever issue.

I do not consider the BB to low. This design provides pleny of stability on the downhill, and if you have your technique dialed there is not much to complain on the uphill either. Remeber this bike was designed with the racer in mind, so it may not fit everyone.

Reign1a.jpeg

Redlemon

Oct 30, 2021
Canada
My LBS asked me recently which E-MTB I'd like to ride next year so they consider it in their pre-ordering.
But I like my Reign e+ so much, would only exchange it for a lighter Carbon Version ;-)
Other than a replaced frame (rocker was rubbing against seatstrays) no faults, electronic failures or whatsovever issue.

I do not consider the BB to low. This design provides pleny of stability on the downhill, and if you have your technique dialed there is not much to complain on the uphill either. Remeber this bike was designed with the racer in mind, so it may not fit everyone.

That's also my impression on the bike, very reliable & the geo is dialed.

The bike is heavy, but feels lively at speed while being really stable so you're able to push with good confidence.

I will most likely keep it until Giant comes out with a carbon version or release some nice LTD version, pretty sure we'll start to see some XX/X0 T-Type builds from 2024.

Reigneee.jpg

jeanmarc

Mar 2, 2021
Canada
Reign E+2 also here for 15 months. I run it in "high", I don't have the pedal strike issue with stock 160mm cranks. Great motor, no issues charging, 625Wh battery is plenty for my riding. 👍

Bad-Latitude

Aug 21, 2022
Simi Valley
I run the flip chip in high mode and I keep a close eye on shock pressure. Basically before every ride I take two min to check tire pressure and shock pressure. I find that I needed to re learn how to ride on technical up hills to avoid pedal strikes. Once I changed my technique a little bit the pedal strikes all but disappeared. I’ve had the bike about 10 months now and it has been flawless.

sprousaTM

Mar 4, 2022
Germany
Hi guys,
after tormenting the poor little Reign E+ on the trails in and around Finale Ligure in Italy including a nasty crash and the need to buy new cranks, derailleur and hanger (one was bent and I switched to 160mm), I really wanted to service the whole bike, grease everything up and torque to specs.. I just cannot find any manual with all the torque settings for the pivot points.
Anyone got a link to some kind of explosion view with all the settings to go for?

Nomad1

Apr 2, 2023
Hi guys,
after tormenting the poor little Reign E+ on the trails in and around Finale Ligure in Italy including a nasty crash and the need to buy new cranks, derailleur and hanger (one was bent and I switched to 160mm), I really wanted to service the whole bike, grease everything up and torque to specs.. I just cannot find any manual with all the torque settings for the pivot points.
Anyone got a link to some kind of explosion view with all the settings to go for?
The torque specs are on most of the pivot bolts

Donamici

Jan 1, 2022
Ireland
1 Year Review:
Still loving the bike. Had a few months off due to a broken ankle but was delighted to get back on the Reign.

Problems in year 1:
New rear shock under warranty
New seat post under warranty
New motor under warranty (started making weird noises a few weeks ago and Giant acted quickly to replace. The new motor is smoother with almost none of that pedal flutter when resting your foot on the pedals)

Still descends like a beast and puts a smile on my face when climbing.
Was running Maxgrip Assegais (bombproof) are now running Continental Kryptotal, grip is fantastic
Fox 38, while not the most plush at low speed, 100% has your back when things get more rowdy. Very confidence inspiring.
Quiet motor and bags of power when you need it.
Really quite agile for a big heavy bike.
Geometry and mullet are bang on point.
Build quality is very good.

Dislikes:
X2 rear shock. I don't rate them. The warranty replacement shock is now leaking air. Could be as simple as a service, fingers crossed.
Slack front end has a tendency for steering flop, when things get techy you need to be firm with the steering, was considering something like a Cane Creek ViscoSet to calm things down.
I've destroyed two XT rear mechs, they are made of cheese.
XT brake levers bend too easily, but maybe I should just stop crashing.
Original wheel so it wasn't the strongest, replaced with hope Fortis 30 which seems much better.

Would have no hesitation in recommending it to someone. I can't think of any reason to get a trail ebike when an Enduro bike like this can do all that plus much more.

Buckaroony

Dec 17, 2021
UK
1 Year Review:
Still loving the bike. Had a few months off due to a broken ankle but was delighted to get back on the Reign.

Problems in year 1:
New rear shock under warranty
New seat post under warranty
New motor under warranty (started making weird noises a few weeks ago and Giant acted quickly to replace. The new motor is smoother with almost none of that pedal flutter when resting your foot on the pedals)

Still descends like a beast and puts a smile on my face when climbing.
Was running Maxgrip Assegais (bombproof) are now running Continental Kryptotal, grip is fantastic
Fox 38, while not the most plush at low speed, 100% has your back when things get more rowdy. Very confidence inspiring.
Quiet motor and bags of power when you need it.
Really quite agile for a big heavy bike.
Geometry and mullet are bang on point.
Build quality is very good.

Dislikes:
X2 rear shock. I don't rate them. The warranty replacement shock is now leaking air. Could be as simple as a service, fingers crossed.
Slack front end has a tendency for steering flop, when things get techy you need to be firm with the steering, was considering something like a Cane Creek ViscoSet to calm things down.
I've destroyed two XT rear mechs, they are made of cheese.
XT brake levers bend too easily, but maybe I should just stop crashing.
Original wheel so it wasn't the strongest, replaced with hope Fortis 30 which seems much better.

Would have no hesitation in recommending it to someone. I can't think of any reason to get a trail ebike when an Enduro bike like this can do all that plus much more.
I too have had issues with the X2, remedied with a service.
I’ve gone through one XT mech (rock) and one XT lever (bike fell over at home).
No motor issues yet and the fox 38 has been awesome.
Yet to resolve brake howl though but got some Galfa purple pads to try.

M AP

Dec 27, 2021
Milan, Italy
My review after 16 month of the Reign E+0.
On my first day on the new bike I had issues hitting cranks too often on the ground. After adjusting the flip chips and setting correctly the ammo (sag and rebound) I never have had issues again. The Reign is an Enduro beast and it cannot be compared to a trail bike as far as bottom bracket clearance.
The motor has been fantastic and getting better and better after every software update. It is now fully configurable and some of the small issues were resolved, such as that pedal flutter when resting your foot on the pedals.
What I don't like is the Automatic Support mode that I think is too strong. I also have a Bosch bike and I don't like the eMTB mode either, so maybe it's just me.
I had issues with the dropper post getting blocked or latent and finally I changed it with a Rockshox Reverb and had no issues ever since.
SRAM Guide RSC brakes where good as soon as I changed disks with Galfer. Unfortunately after 6 months SRAM brakes started to give me issues until the rear brake stopped to work. I was fed up and changed them to Formula Cura 4. I just love them, really reliable under every condition.
I changed the rear tyre for Continental Kryptotal and front for Assegai. Love this combination.
SRAM X01 Eagle derailleur has been very good, just changed the chainring for a 34T that I think it's more appropriate.
I recently updated to the new SRAM X0 AXS but with no reason. X0 AXS is great BTW.
It has been a flawless experience overall. Thank you Giant!

Last edited:

John Cap

Jan 29, 2022
Greece
A strange thing happened during yesterday's ride:
I use a Garmin Edge 530, with the ebike sensor paired. It gives reading for ebike's battery (so I have a percentage on the screen, more usefull than the 5 bars on the dash of our bike) and also power mode indication.

Suddenly the Garmin pops up a notification : "ebike sensor battery low" . WTF it this? Has anyone else seen this ?

Bordtea

Oct 2, 2022
Gloucester, UK
A strange thing happened during yesterday's ride:
I use a Garmin Edge 530, with the ebike sensor paired. It gives reading for ebike's battery (so I have a percentage on the screen, more usefull than the 5 bars on the dash of our bike) and also power mode indication.

Suddenly the Garmin pops up a notification : "ebike sensor battery low" . WTF it this? Has anyone else seen this ?
My 530 does this all the time as well. It’s very odd.

Mister pearson

Oct 11, 2022
Sacramento
For anyone who was considering going for shorter cranks, I can confirm they totally transform the ride.
Went for Hope 155mm on my medium and absolutely loving them - hardly ever get pedal strikes now. No effect on pedal performance that I could detect.
View attachment 110088
Are there any other, less expensive choices besides the Hope. I’m having a hard time justifying that number.

wafu1982

Apr 23, 2023
Cornwall
Hey guys here is my (trying to ride with as much fun as possible but extending the range) ride from today.

I rode with my buddy that has the 500Wh previous Reign E+0 derestricted...he had to finish earlier(family stuff) then me.
For comparison he drained the full battery down just like me to 10%, did 45,1km with an altitude gain of 1166m.

Just putting it out there if someone finds it useful if not also good...let it be 👍

So on downhills and flat asphalt I used almost no assistance...there is not a lot of places on my trails where assistance is useful as they are pretty steep and I still like the feel of pedaling a bio bike. I also feel it's easier to pedal the bike on flat at 24kph without the stupid assistance cutting out/in...

I love to do a workout on my bike not just have fun, so I used the appropriate assistance modes to keep my HR high for a 40y old guy(average 144, max 189). I used all modes except 5 which I think it's overkill for most situations.

What suprised me the most were the two full on sprints on a fire road and a path. I gave all I had on these, almost pushing at the bike at the 25km/h limit, the battery consumption in both cases was 10%

I did quite a lot of riding in A mode to get the feel of it and must say I am getting to like it a bit more, anyway it does need a little more refinement though.

Outside temps today were around 15° to 21°C
My weight respectable 89kg fully geared up...
My bike full stock E+1 625...except a few cosmetic changes...
Tire pressure 2,2 front 2,1 back
Start with Full Battery 100%

The main ride stats:
Saddle time 5h14min
Ride distance 63,5km
Ride altitude gain 1745m
Battery consumption 90%
Cal Consumption 2945

In the photo you can see the local hills described in the last segments and across town is the local mountain(UCI DH World Cup location) with a height of 1042m where I did most of the riding.

I also divided the ride into segments with checkpoints where I gathered the status.

Checkpoint 1 at 9,6 km 99% Battery

Segment info
9,6 km 63m alt. gain Flat asphalt Assistance only at slight uphill and cross wind
Used 1% on mode 1
Meeting Point

Checkpoint 2 at 29km 51% Battery

Segment info
19,4km 972m alt. gain Mostly Uphill mixed terrain in the woods
Used 48% on mode 3,2,4,1,A,Push Assist(time in mode in this order)
Top of the Mountain

Checkpoint 3 at 39,5km 49% Battery

Segment info
10,5km 60m alt. gain Downhill & few Uphills on Mtb Trails and fire roads
Used 2% on mode 2

Checkpoint 4 at 41,6km 39% Battery

Segment info
2,1km 168m alt. gain Full Sprint Fire road
Used 10% on mode A,3

Checkpoint 5 at 47,2km 33% Battery

Segment info
5,6km 163m alt. gain Downhill & few Uphills on Mtb Trails and fire roads
Used 6% on mode 2,3
Lunch time

Checkpoint 6 at 53,6km 29% Battery

Segment info
44m alt. gain Across Town Windy Used 4% on Mode 1

Checkpoint 7 at 55,1km 19% Battery

Segment info
1,5km 87m alt. gain Full Sprint trail path Used 10% on mode 3,2
First cramps

Checkpoint 8(Home) at 63,5 km 10% Battery

Segment info
8,6km 188m alt. gain Local hills and recreation areas(up and down)
Used 9% on mode 3,2,A,Push Assist

View attachment 84823

View attachment 84824
Possibly already asked, but what app/data field is this on your Garmin please?

Redlemon

Oct 30, 2021
Canada
Can anyone that bought the 800Wh upgrade confirm that they were able to install it without adjusting the locking mechanism ?

I'm asking because today I found out that my 800Wh battery is tight in the lock, but as soon as I install my 625Wh back the battery it's loose.

When I initially installed my 800Wh I had to re-adjust the lock because the battery wouldn't come out (too tight), but now I found that the problem is reversed with the 625Wh (really loose in the lock).

I'm starting to think that the slight sizing difference is at fault here and the lock is not able to compensate enough.

800Wh 440 x 85 x 78 mm
625Wh 435 x 77.5 x 67mm

trailaddict

Jul 7, 2021
Alps
I've done the swap 5 minutes ago - no Problem at all.
I'm switching between 625 / 750 / 800wh all the time on my Reign e+ and they all fit nicely.
Looks like you have to get your lock position dialed so both batteries fit easyly and are hold tight once the lock mechanism is engaged.

Redlemon

Oct 30, 2021
Canada
I've done the swap 5 minutes ago - no Problem at all.
I'm switching between 625 / 750 / 800wh all the time on my Reign e+ and they all fit nicely.
Looks like you have to get your lock position dialed so both batteries fit easyly and are hold tight once the lock mechanism is engaged.

Thanks for confirming, but that lock system design is killing me to be honest...

This is a really bad design from Giant, it should've designed where there's only one position to install it so you don't have to fiddle with it to find that specific position.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles