Fuel EXe Trek Fuel EXe Megathread!

Taxi Man

Apr 12, 2023
New Zealand
I've done a goodie tonight. Installed the lock ring without the chain ring and torqued it to 50nm. I then thought I'd better pop the ring on but I can't get the lock ring off as it spins with the motor. Any ideas on wjay tool is required or how to sort/hack this out team?

20230605_211434.jpg

Last edited:

volts

May 15, 2018
DK
The only disadvantage is non-removable battery
I think it's also a disadvantage that it isn't sold where I live, that the company seems to be small and without a proven track record with warranty, no LSB support and probably less/no leverage over TQ when it comes to motor warranty.
Just my thoughts when deciding what to go for.

Magnacus

Subscriber
May 11, 2023
Munich, Germany
Did anyone successfully install range extender with fidlock holder? Is it doable?
No, but I had the same idea/plan.
My problem is like everyone else here, none has got a range extender.
The range extender weight is 1Kg. A bit high weight, since most water bottles have about 500-600g.
I still think should be no problem.

I figured out the uni connector:

There is a nice install video for the range extender:
The retention strap has a backplate for the range extender. 4 screws to mount the plate.
It should be possible to build another plate for a fidlock connector.
Either with die uni connector, or use a connector form a bottle (TWIST single bottle 800 | Smoke | 09652-P01032(TBL)). You have to take this version, since it has been designed for bottles with higher weight.

Other interesting thing I found when googleing for backplates: A mod for Ego 56v batteries:
Ego 56v costs from 150€ to 650€ depending on the capacity.

jabar1975

Feb 16, 2023
Zurich
Here is the link to a user guide.
In chapter 3.1.1. there is a description of how to connect the RE to the bike with the Fidlock system.
Unfortunately I could not find the so-called "Fidlock Force Connector" anywhere.

That’s the problem, it is not available where I live, at least RE arrived and sit quite good in standard bottle carrier. Mu RE came without rubber strap - but I guess that could be easily replace by substitute.
Most important additional 160wh indahaus

volts

May 15, 2018
DK
I've done a goodie tonight. Installed the lock ring without the chain ring and torqued it to 50nm. I then thought I'd better pop the ring on but I can't get the lock ring off as it spins with the motor. Any ideas on how to sort this out team?

View attachment 116932
Just about the only thing I can think of is to hacksaw a ring
Hold the other crank arm so it doesn't move.
It would just rotate

BiGJZ74

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Mar 17, 2021
American Canyon, CA
Just about the only thing I can think of is to hacksaw a ring

It would just rotate
Thanks, ur right, I forgot they loosened forward. I don't think you can even hack it off as you couldn't cut into the threaded area. He's gonna have to have that sent in to get serviced. Motor may have to get taken apart to do it.....unfortunately probably not a warranty thing since its user error.

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
Thanks, ur right, I forgot they loosened forward. I don't think you can even hack it off as you couldn't cut into the threaded area. He's gonna have to have that sent in to get serviced. Motor may have to get taken apart to do it.....unfortunately probably not a warranty thing since its user error.
Maybe he could try getting something to clamp onto the face(s) where the chain ring would normally sit and using that to stop it rotating?! Bit of a long shot though....

He's really buggered that up!

KevinNY

Nov 1, 2022
NYC
I've done a goodie tonight. Installed the lock ring without the chain ring and torqued it to 50nm. I then thought I'd better pop the ring on but I can't get the lock ring off as it spins with the motor. Any ideas on wjay tool is required or how to sort/hack this out team?

View attachment 116932

Oh wow, that's a bit painful to see. Maybe you can rig something kind of like a strap wrench using some old shift cable to grab the chainring mount? Good luck.

Free_Tibet

Aug 30, 2022
Australia
It still spins unfortunately
Don't feel too bad re this... I did the same thing when tired at the end of a long day 😖🤦‍♂️... I had only hand nipped it up and hadn't yet torqued it - but it was still tricky to undo.

Iirc I just managed to get a thin cone wrench in behind and angle the jaws to a position against the chainring mount faces such that it provided just enough resistance to allow me to start the undo of the lockring. But that would definitely not work for 50Nm (and even a strap wrench using a thin wire cable may really struggle to get enough purchase imho).

I am thinking a thin "tool" similar to a cone wrench of the jaw size needed might need to be created / bought. Can you see how much clearance you have for a tool to slide in?

BiGJZ74

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Mar 17, 2021
American Canyon, CA
It still spins unfortunately
We discussed this a few posts earlier. You may need to take it in, motor might need to be taken apart or sent in unless there is some way that they can lock the motor that only tech's know about.. You can't cut it out as you have no access to the threaded area. Good luck. I'd bring it to Trek/TQ, seems like they are the only option.

Taxi Man

Apr 12, 2023
New Zealand
We discussed this a few posts earlier. You may need to take it in, motor might need to be taken apart or sent in unless there is some way that they can lock the motor that only tech's know about.. You can't cut it out as you have no access to the threaded area. Good luck. I'd bring it to Trek/TQ, seems like they are the only option.
MY LBS has spoken to Trek NZ and they have no clue on how to deal with it. They said you'll likely need a new motor! I've got insurance if required but that seems excessive! There is hopefully a tool I can find somewhere, an option may be to cut down chain ring to use as a tool, either way a right muddle. ✅

Last edited:

BiGJZ74

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Mar 17, 2021
American Canyon, CA
I've spoken to Trek NZ and they have no clue on how to deal with it. They said you'll likely need a new motor! I've got insurance if required but that seems excessive! There is hopefully a tool I can find somewhere, an option may be to cut down chain ring to use as a tool, either way a right muddle. ✅
Try emailing or reaching out to TQ.

Taxi Man

Apr 12, 2023
New Zealand
Don't feel too bad re this... I did the same thing when tired at the end of a long day 😖🤦‍♂️... I had only hand nipped it up and hadn't yet torqued it - but it was still tricky to undo.

Iirc I just managed to get a thin cone wrench in behind and angle the jaws to a position against the chainring mount faces such that it provided just enough resistance to allow me to start the undo of the lockring. But that would definitely not work for 50Nm (and even a strap wrench using a thin wire cable may really struggle to get enough purchase imho).

I am thinking a thin "tool" similar to a cone wrench of the jaw size needed might need to be created / bought. Can you see how much clearance you have for a tool to slide in?
Not much space. About 6.4mm. Found a good tool but it was 7.2mm unfortunately!

Psythepie

Nov 28, 2022
UK
If it were me I'd try to get hold of an impact gun, the sort of thing tyre fitters use. We have a battery version at work & it's amazing what it will loosen. If you just gave it a quick blip (or several) I should imagine that the vibration would help loosen the ring before the spindle starts to spin up.

Magnacus

Subscriber
May 11, 2023
Munich, Germany
Quick update:
The "FIDLOCK Force Connector" is only available for dealers.

I asked for the partnumber.
Keep you posted.
Final update:
FIDLOCK® Force Connector
Partnumber 09656-000002(BLK)

Google found nothing so far.
I'll contact my local dealer and keep you posted. This may take a while.

Taxi Man

Apr 12, 2023
New Zealand
C
If it were me I'd try to get hold of an impact gun, the sort of thing tyre fitters use. We have a battery version at work & it's amazing what it will loosen. If you just gave it a quick blip (or several) I should imagine that the vibration would help loosen the ring before the spindle starts to spin up.
Yeah that's the plan I've decided, I'll create a home made strap wrench and give that a crack. Hopefully it will come off and I'll avoid a hand injury. I'll be sure it share the outcome for the benefit of the next person who does this.

BiGJZ74

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Mar 17, 2021
American Canyon, CA
Newsflash! The impact driver works perfectly to remove the locking when you do it up to 50NM with no chairing on community. Thx to all who shared their thoughts to solve this. Without you mob I'd still be cursing my misadventure so thanks a bunch! View attachment 117055
Hope nothing else rattled loose. Congrats on the fix, glad it worked out for you. If something else goes wrong.....Just don't tell Trek about the impact driver and warranty will be perfect.

KevinNY

Nov 1, 2022
NYC
Newsflash! The impact driver works perfectly to remove the locking when you do it up to 50NM with no chairing Exe community. Thx to all who shared their thoughts to solve this. Without you mob I'd still be cursing my misadventure so thanks a bunch! View attachment 117055
Nice!! Glad you got it out.

I'm noticing you have dirt or dust in there. Since you have the older lockring with the 30nm stamp on it, you might want to check you are not missing the rubber seal inside the lockring. I remember someone posted here they were missing the seal.

Here's a picture of the seal:
1686136125222.png

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles