Fuel EXe Trek Fuel EXe Megathread!

volts

May 15, 2018
DK
I just watched The loam wolfs clip on sizes and I largely agree in their conclusion. Bikes are getting recommended too large.
Still, fuel exe seems very small in medium for me as I am 182cm tall and have about 89cm inseam. Their recommendation lands me square in Large.

Will M be too small for me I wonder?
Any thoughts on this, and have you tried sizing down?

Last edited:

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
I'm 177cm tall and ride a large,it feels good to me.

You probably need to try and test a couple of different sizes if possible.

Montana St Alum

Feb 13, 2023
Park City Utah
A short thread on geometry:

Emailsucks98

Nov 12, 2020
Bellingham Wa
Discussed it to death elsewhere! Thoughts…..

Going mullet/160mm fork can take as much as 18mm off the reach! Good case for sizing up.

You can get the same “fit” with different size frames, but the handling changes obviously. Longer wheelbase has advantages on steep&fast & compromises elsewhere. Chromag’s Darco geometry and sizing recommendations are worth a look- similar geometry other than the reach, their M/L is longer than the Fuel EXe L and is recommended for the same height range.

About that LoamWolf article, worth noting the Pivot M us is quite a bit larger than the M fuel EXe.

175cm on a L with 35mm stem, 160mm fork, 210mm dropper and mullet wheels here. I generally prefer larger frames/shorty stems. Biggest downside is harder to manual/wheelie.

Last edited:

volts

May 15, 2018
DK
Discussed it to death elsewhere! Thoughts…..

Going mullet/160mm fork can take as much as 18mm off the reach! Good case for sizing up.

You can get the same “fit” with different size frames, but the handling changes obviously. Longer wheelbase has advantages on steep&fast & compromises elsewhere. Chromag’s Darco geometry and sizing recommendations are worth a look- similar geometry other than the reach, their M/L is longer than the Fuel EXe L and is recommended for the same height range.

About that LoamWolf article, worth noting the Pivot M us is quite a bit larger than the M fuel EXe.

175cm on a L with 35mm stem, 160mm fork, 210mm dropper and mullet wheels here. I generally prefer larger frames/shorty stems. Biggest downside is harder to manual/wheelie.
Ok I must admit I am not following these forums close enough to know the other size discussions but yeah it is a very frequent topic in general as it is something most riders stresses about when buying bikes.
I'm coming from a Rise and prefer the bike not to be too big. On the Rise, the reach is 475mm but I overforked it, over stroked it and mulleted and and lastly tried with 27.5 wheels front and rear with a few different forks and shocks so I have tried a bunch of different things that will affect reach and how the bike rides. I was never unhappy with the Rise but I do look forward to a more quiet ride that also isn't a total noodle in the backend. That was just to explain where I come from.

The plan on the exe is to do the same as you (overfork and mullet, 35mm stem, 240mm dropper shimmed to fit), but also put a 65mm stroke on the rear to test that out. I guess the reach will end up being close to my preferred 475 with those changes, except maybe the bit of extra sag will add a bit of stack.

You are ofc quite right, the pivot M is bigger than the exe, I didn't actually look into that but just took it as an example.

Overall pretty happy to hear all the feedback of rider going L with similar or smaller height as me.
Having very long legs and arms for my height I don't really know what to think. RAD measurement seems to think I should have a smaller frame than if I had very short arms, but I'm not really convinced I feel that is actually best.

Emailsucks98

Nov 12, 2020
Bellingham Wa
but yeah it is a very frequent topic in general as it is something most riders stresses about when buying bikes.
It's true! I agree all the info is helpful, and nothing wrong with personal preference, especially on such a versatile bike.

I'm 175cm and spent last season on a M/L chromag widangle (464mm reach/35mm stem) and a M Propain Tyee CF 29" (451mm reach/40mm stem). Based on those bikes, I figured the stock M Fuel EXe (453mm) would be great for me- but the test ride proved otherwise. It was more about the handling and weight balance than the fit. So taking a look now at the wheelbases: Chromag is 1198, propain is 1228, and the Fuel is 1217 (M,low) or 1247 (L, low).

Given the differences in geometry & travel I think where I landed makes sense. Now if I was going to design my own custom trek/TQ bike, it would have around a 470mm reach, a touch more travel F&R, and a .5° slacker headangle. The reach and headangle would keep the wheelbase >1230mm. Let's call it a M/L!

POC

Nov 28, 2022
Wales
I just watched The loam wolfs clip on sizes and I largely agree in their conclusion. Bikes are getting recommended too large.
Still, fuel exe seems very small in medium for me as I am 182cm tall and have about 89cm inseam. Their recommendation lands me square in Large.

182cm and Large is perfect fit (and shorter reach than my previous Medium - Whyte T-130).

volts

May 15, 2018
DK
Looking at the downtube on the exe where the battery slides in, I get a bit worried about bashing rocks. Seems like the carbon could potentially be smashed easily. How sturdy does the bb bash guard seem to you guys?

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
Looking at the downtube on the exe where the battery slides in, I get a bit worried about bashing rocks. Seems like the carbon could potentially be smashed easily. How sturdy does the bb bash guard seem to you guys?
I think you'd have to be unlucky to hit a rock that bashed only the frame, I suspect most rocks would hit the chainring first as that is the lowest point, but it could happen.

Not sure what you can put in place to protect it. I;ve got one of these on my capra, but they dont do one for the fuel exe yet.

jabar1975

Feb 16, 2023
Zurich
Anybody moved from acoustic EX 5gen. to EX-E? Just wonder how the sizing works? You stay with the same or not? Seems ebike is a bit longer (wheelbase and reach) but it could be misleading, Lsize Rise was to small for me (feelingwise) while L Fuel EX fits perfect.
Also anybody knows what is the maximum size of seatpost that fits in seat tube (for L)? I love BikeYoke in my analog bike and will buy it as well for ex-e.

socal_rider

Jun 6, 2021
Temecula, CA
Anybody moved from acoustic EX 5gen. to EX-E? Just wonder how the sizing works? You stay with the same or not? Seems ebike is a bit longer (wheelbase and reach) but it could be misleading, Lsize Rise was to small for me (feelingwise) while L Fuel EX fits perfect.
Also anybody knows what is the maximum size of seatpost that fits in seat tube (for L)? I love BikeYoke in my analog bike and will buy it as well for ex-e.

From the Fuel EXe FAQ, max dropper insertion: S – 190mm, M – 225mm, L – 250mm, XL – 285mm.

KevinNY

Nov 1, 2022
NYC

Sorry, can't speak for Gen 5 but if it helps, I have both the '23 Fuel EX Gen 6 and '23 Fuel EXe in Size L and they are like twins. Both feel similar if not almost the same in feel to me, with the exception that one (the EXe of course) is motorized with 5mm shorter cranks and much easier to pedal with the assist. LOL. :)

There's a better comparison on this Youtube video:

Smeer

Mar 2, 2020
Vancouver

I'm 164, and I ride a Medium EXe comfortably, it's all about preference but seems to me you'd want a Large,

volts

May 15, 2018
DK
I know people hate headsets with integrated cables but I'd like to try it. Does anyone know what headset with integrated cable management that would fit the exe ?

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
I know people hate headsets with integrated cables but I'd like to try it. Does anyone know what headset with integrated cable management that would fit the exe ?
I don't think you can get one that fits the exe because the exe uses an integrated headset where the bearings sit directly in the frame, as oppose to in separate cups.

I could be wrong though.

steveL

Nov 11, 2022
Southeast BC
I had a medium EX 9.8 2017 version and I have a medium EXe, both fit me perfectly, I am about 5'6". I tried a small years ago and it felt way to short for me. MTB's in general have gotten longer over the last few years.

volts

May 15, 2018
DK
I don't think you can get one that fits the exe because the exe uses an integrated headset where the bearings sit directly in the frame, as oppose to in separate cups.

I could be wrong though.
Ah ok makes sense. Oh well no big loss.

Emailsucks98

Nov 12, 2020
Bellingham Wa
A little snowy Sunday experiment. Looks like, at least on a size L frame with an inline shock, you could hypothetically strap a second battery to the top of the Downtube. Plenty of clearance for the shock itself but the reservoir collides with the battery nearing full travel. It’s so close!

This makes me curious about the cane creek IL shocks and a fidlock bottle. Though I really like the Ohlins and I’m not sure I mind carrying the #2 battery in a pack.

FD12A0CB-A4CC-4610-AD54-C17C700C08CE.jpeg

steveL

Nov 11, 2022
Southeast BC
A little snowy Sunday experiment. Looks like, at least on a size L frame with an inline shock, you could strap a second battery to the top of the Downtube. Plenty of clearance for the shock itself but the reservoir collides with the battery nearing full travel. It’s so close!

This makes me curious about the cane creek IL shocks and a fidlock bottle. Though I really like the Ohlins and I’m not sure I mind carrying the #2 battery in a pack.

View attachment 107838
Can you take on of the caps off?

Emailsucks98

Nov 12, 2020
Bellingham Wa
Can you take on of the caps off?
Doesn’t look like it would buy me enough clearance, at least with this shock.

I do see DBinline coils are on sale, and there’s the progressive VALT spring option. I’m pretty sure that would clear and I could figure out a Fidlock mount that would work for either the battery or a water bottle. Tempting!

Cell4soul

E*POWAH Master
Jul 11, 2022
Mesa, AZ
I was gonna go with the DB IL coil. I couldn’t find one anywhere in stock. You ere able to fine a 205x60? I couldn’t find it in that size or a 62.5. That coils would be really good on the EXe.

steveL

Nov 11, 2022
Southeast BC
Has anyone done the software upgrades for the EXe? Did you notice a difference? How many upgrades are available now?

Mine is hanging in the basement waiting for spring.

Thanks,

Steve

Canyon Shawn

Feb 4, 2023
Lake Sherwood, California
As far as the Speedi speed hack goes. Would I be correct in saying that it will affect the on screen speed reading and the odometer in the Trek app? For those that have Speedi, can you please share your experience with it?

volts

May 15, 2018
DK
As far as the Speedi speed hack goes. Would I be correct in saying that it will affect the on screen speed reading and the odometer in the Trek app? For those that have Speedi, can you please share your experience with it?
I don't have the hack but yes all physical alterations of the readings on the magnet will affect what speed the bike thinks you at.

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
I got fed up of waiting for the range extender to become available, so I bought myself another 360wh internal battery. I'll carry it in my bag on extra long rides and swap over when the previous battery hits 10%. So with two 360wh batteries I should be good for 4000 feet over 40 miles in 100% max mode, or twice that distance/height when being extra frugal.

I'll still probably get the range extender when it becomes properly available, and then either sell the spare 360wh battery or just keep it for mega long rides.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles