Official Merida eOne-Sixty thread

Bob lakin

Aug 4, 2018
Devon
Is that the new E7000 controller on there, where did you manage to find one?
I'm looking for the e7000 switch gear too when available I've been told can get in Europe but can't find where as yet , I'm hoping they will be suitable for both power and di2 select.

knut7

Administrator
Author
Subscriber
Apr 10, 2018
Norway
I'm looking for the e7000 switch gear too when available I've been told can get in Europe but can't find where as yet , I'm hoping they will be suitable for both power and di2 select.
Germany has got a few E7000 bits Bike24 - Search

I'm perfectly happy with the E6000 switch though, but that's out of production. Allegedly.

knut7

Administrator
Author
Subscriber
Apr 10, 2018
Norway
What could this be??

:)

Here's what it is! It's a 2019 Merida eOne-Sixty 500 with an E7000 motor!
Can a proper full suspension emtb be had for much less $ in 2019? Does the new and a bit weaker Shimano Steps E7000 motor cut it for trail riding?

meridaE160-500_stepsE7000_01.jpg

Flogbox

Sep 25, 2018
Sass81sass81
I have just joined the 900e club with the black and gold colour. I went to grab a burger and chips for lunch and saw this in the bike shop across the road so i bought it. I rode it for 2 minutes on the grass.

No idea what it is like on a trail. Haven't ridden an eMTB before. I bought a second battery so i can use boost to shuttle me back up the top so i don't need to worry about power conservation.

The background to my switch is i had a massive crash, my wrist was rebuilt by an awesome surgeon but i can't ride frequently due to pain. So my fitness is no more. An eMTB allows me to ride once a month and give a large break for any wrist pain to settle down after i do a ride.

The fox factory shocks and saints brake spec is to good to pass up. Looks pretty sweet also.

Next week i'll be riding trails for 3 days with my Merida and a demo 19 Kenevo comp with my bro in law. We are used to smashing down stuff reasonably hard on our normal bikes so we are keen to see if the Fox Factory Merida will outperform a base spec Kenevo. By outperform we are looking at not just control of the bike but overall trail feedback, agility and fun.

knut7

Administrator
Author
Subscriber
Apr 10, 2018
Norway
I have just joined the 900e club with the black and gold colour. I went to grab a burger and chips for lunch and saw this in the bike shop across the road so i bought it. I rode it for 2 minutes on the grass.

No idea what it is like on a trail. Haven't ridden an eMTB before. I bought a second battery so i can use boost to shuttle me back up the top so i don't need to worry about power conservation.

The background to my switch is i had a massive crash, my wrist was rebuilt by an awesome surgeon but i can't ride frequently due to pain. So my fitness is no more. An eMTB allows me to ride once a month and give a large break for any wrist pain to settle down after i do a ride.

The fox factory shocks and saints brake spec is to good to pass up. Looks pretty sweet also.

Next week i'll be riding trails for 3 days with my Merida and a demo 19 Kenevo comp with my bro in law. We are used to smashing down stuff reasonably hard on our normal bikes so we are keen to see if the Fox Factory Merida will outperform a base spec Kenevo. By outperform we are looking at not just control of the bike but overall trail feedback, agility and fun.

The Fox Factory fork should be a good one to set up pretty soft, to relieve the wrist. Also, @Al Boneta mentioned some extra comfortable grips somewhere. They could be good for you. Hopefully he'll see this.

Basy

Mar 23, 2018
Australia
Your battery won't last long in constant turbo. If you layed off the burgers and chips, trail and eco would still get you to the top and save you from having to carry an extra battery.

I think you'll find the e160 more fun than the Kenevo because it's noticeably lighter UNLESS you're smashing down mega fast steep rough terrain. The e160 will still match it though.. Depends on the rider 90% of the time and less about the bike.

Bonz

Jul 2, 2018
New Zealand
This weekend I took some time to work on the Merida.
Since I changed the XT to a gripshifter the cable was a little too short. But to get to the internal cables you have to take the motor off... :rolleyes: (I do like simple bikes, with simple solutions like external cables ;)).

View attachment 3957
View attachment 3958

And the motor removed...
View attachment 3959

I was surprised to see how little protection there is against dust or mud. The little plastic cover doesn't do very much, after only three rides (all in dry & dusty conditions) there already was a lot of dust on the electric connections.

After changing the cable (and putting the motor back on...) I also swapped the Minion on the rear for a Rekon and set up the tires tubeless. Oh, and in the proces ofcourse removed the ugly plastic disc :cool:
Hi, thanks for the clear photos.
After making a botch up replacing my dropper post it looks like I will have to install a completely new cable. The old one got snagged and came apart when trying to pull through as a draw wire.
Was it much of a job to remove the motor?

Re-Cycle

Jul 13, 2018
Netherlands
Not really, you'll be spending more time on the parts you have to remove to get the motor out ;)

I f I remember correctly I first removed the chain. Then loosen the chainguide a bit so you can rotate it out of the way (I think I took the outer half off as well). Remove the chainring and the electronic cables.
Getting the motor out is actually nothing more then loosening the six bolts, but you can't reach the middle one on the driveside without removing the chainring and loosening the chainguide.

Bonz

Jul 2, 2018
New Zealand
Not really, you'll be spending more time on the parts you have to remove to get the motor out ;)

I f I remember correctly I first removed the chain. Then loosen the chainguide a bit so you can rotate it out of the way (I think I took the outer half off as well). Remove the chainring and the electronic cables.
Getting the motor out is actually nothing more then loosening the six bolts, but you can't reach the middle one on the driveside without removing the chainring and loosening the chainguide.
Thanks for the info.

Bennyblanc0

Jul 2, 2018
NZ
I was having some issues with my smallest cogs getting chewed out too quickly. Prob to do with being a bit on the heavier side and having a heap of power coming through the drivetrain.
Anyone else experiencing this?
Things I have done to try and stop this from happening again:
- knocked out a couple of chain links to up the chain tension.
- trying not to ever shift with power on.
- winding out b tension screw to get as much chain wrap as pos.
- grinding down the derailleur cage a bit to allow winding out the b screw more.
I now also have a couple of spare 11t and 13t cogs in my kit too.

Basy

Mar 23, 2018
Australia
I was having some issues with my smallest cogs getting chewed out too quickly. Prob to do with being a bit on the heavier side and having a heap of power coming through the drivetrain.
Anyone else experiencing this?
Things I have done to try and stop this from happening again:
- knocked out a couple of chain links to up the chain tension.
- trying not to ever shift with power on.
- winding out b tension screw to get as much chain wrap as pos.
- grinding down the derailleur cage a bit to allow winding out the b screw more.
I now also have a couple of spare 11t and 13t cogs in my kit too.

Guessing you don't have the 900e. Sounds like they didn't set it up right from new. Not crunching gears under power will definitely help along with better chain wrap around those smaller cogs.. But if they're slipping I'd also check chain wear and consider a new cassette.

Bennyblanc0

Jul 2, 2018
NZ
Guessing you don't have the 900e. Sounds like they didn't set it up right from new. Not crunching gears under power will definitely help along with better chain wrap around those smaller cogs.. But if they're slipping I'd also check chain wear and consider a new cassette.
Yeah, I have the 900e. I have checked the chain wear and put a new 11t and 13t cog on the cassette and it all seems good so far. Fingers crossed.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
I checked with Madison (UK Shimano ) and its not even not on their system yet for delivery to them, let alone shops. I suspect will be a little while yet

Flogbox

Sep 25, 2018
Sass81sass81
Got my 900e in black gold and had it out riding for 3 days. I had it mounted using the sea sucker bomber :)

What are the options for changing the dropper post lever? It doesn't look like there is any space for a lever so do i change the mode shifters to something else so there is space?

BMW%20M5%20MTB_zpsus3vosqt.jpg

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
It doesn't look like there is any space for a lever so do i change the mode shifters to something else so there is space?
Have you actually read the thread? ;)

The answer is in post 152 on this page.

Flogbox

Sep 25, 2018
Sass81sass81
Argh sorry i read the thread a while back and didn't flick back. I saw Basy's posts on page 2 now and i just ordered the E6000 controller...... and then i see Bob's picture above and it seems one can fit.

I think the E6000 controller setup is probably more ideal due to my limited movement in the wrist and leaves more space to position the dropper lever where i can reach it quickly without pain.

Next will be to switch out the dropper from my remedy 8 and slap it on the Merida.

Basy

Mar 23, 2018
Australia
You can get anything to fit if you move the shifter far enough down the bars. The new E7000 shifters should be coming out very shortly. I'll be getting one I think as they look a little better and more ergonomic.

Flogbox

Sep 25, 2018
Sass81sass81
You can get anything to fit if you move the shifter far enough down the bars. The new E7000 shifters should be coming out very shortly. I'll be getting one I think as they look a little better and more ergonomic.

The E7000 controller looks similar to the controller on the Giant Trance ebike where its more on top of the bars.

Im not to sure about having the buttons on top as my last whopping downhill crash destroyed everything on top of the bars. Not something id want to repeat but i like the E6000 buttons facing towards me as they will be pretty safe in a crash.

I was just at the shop chatting to them about switching my saddle over and was looking at the Giant setup. i definitely have some concern on the control unit they use being so vulnerable. Or at least it would be in my hands as i ride hard and crash hard lol.

Hey, you in Aus? Im in Sydney.

Basy

Mar 23, 2018
Australia
The E7000 controller looks similar to the controller on the Giant Trance ebike where its more on top of the bars.

Im not to sure about having the buttons on top as my last whopping downhill crash destroyed everything on top of the bars. Not something id want to repeat but i like the E6000 buttons facing towards me as they will be pretty safe in a crash.

I was just at the shop chatting to them about switching my saddle over and was looking at the Giant setup. i definitely have some concern on the control unit they use being so vulnerable. Or at least it would be in my hands as i ride hard and crash hard lol.

Yeah, Melbourne.

I haven't seen the giant one actually.. But the e7000 looks pretty nice and refined. Why don't you just not crash? Lol

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
You can place the E6000 and 7000 controllers where you want in terms of rotating them on the bar

Flogbox

Sep 25, 2018
Sass81sass81
Yeah, Melbourne.
Why don't you just not crash? Lol

I've only had 1 bad one on a black trail. It's a catch 22 where if you ride quick, when it happens you're gunna have a bad time LOL. Sydney black trails are generally crazy rock stuff so the crashes generally bust people up.

Anyhoo it's something on my to do list: not crash :)

mxh

Aug 27, 2018
Australia

I'm in Sydney too - I'm amazed at the number of e-Merida's on the trails here. Pulled into the local shops in St ives the other weekend and there were 8 of them parked up at the Cafe after their morning ride.

Basy

Mar 23, 2018
Australia
Yeah I've seen a few here at the You Yangs in Melbourne. It's pretty equal with the amount of Levo's I see though. They're pretty popular.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles