Merida eOne-Sixty sizing

Joss

Hello everyone. I'm new here and on the verge of buying an eOne-Sixty. If you don't mind, I'd just like to ask a couple of questions.
First of all, sizing - are there any pearls of wisdom out there regarding the fit of these bikes? At 5'8 I'd expect to be on a medium but a friend who has a non-powered Merida runs a large (he's the same height). I know preference can come into it but I've no experience as to the effect of the extra mass and its impact on handling - perhaps there isn't any. Anyway, I've typically been riding bikes with a reach of 435mm-ish so expect a medium would be fine.
Secondly, is there much difference in the ride experience between the 800 & 900? Whilst fitting a Fox X2 transformed my Orange, I wondered if the gains were as profound between the two Merida options. I'm also familiar with the Fox 36 having had them on my last two bikes but would certainly entertain the Yari on the 800 given the saving if benefits weren't felt elsewhere.

Thanks for your time and any advice you can offer.

Joss

ChrisB NZ

Aug 21, 2018
Auckland, New Zealand
Hi Joss. I'm just a tad shorter than you and have a medium 800. It fits and rides really well. My wife, who is about 5' 5" also rides a medium. She probably should have a small but I couldn't find one!

I haven't ridden a 900 (like hen's teeth) but the 800 is awesome. I guess if you are a hard core enduro/down hill rider you would benefit from the Fox - but the Yari is still a really good shock. I might have been tempted to get the 900 if one was available - but really happy with my 800. I guess it comes down to money. The 800 is a great bike but the 900 has the edge in components.

Maybe some of the hard core guys can pitch in with their views.

ChrisB NZ

Aug 21, 2018
Auckland, New Zealand
Good news Joss. I'm sure you'll love it! I was hooked at the first ride. Was going to look at the Specialized Levo as well but didn't get past the Merida as it was so good and such good value for money. There's something very addictive about E mountain bikes. I find I'm heading to the local trails waaaaay more than I used to. I can do a blast of 30Kms (what ever that is in miles) and return without being absolutely knackered.

Joss

Yeah, I can feel my wallet trembling already!! The Merida seems to be the closest to faultless of all the bikes I've looked at, including the Levo. Certainly the most convincing overall package. Having dug a little deeper into the RockShox suspension spec'd on the 800 I'm 99% convinced it's the better option given the price difference.
I'll be keeping my other bikes (FS and hardtail); this will complete the trinity! Hoping it'll get me out on more solo rides when mates bail and/or the weather is less than perfect - one facet of the typical suffering removed and so one less excuse to stay indoors!! Also, it should be great for milking narrow windows of opportuntiy - throwing more laps of the local hill and making the subsequent cleaning easier to bear.

Bonz

Jul 2, 2018
New Zealand
Hello everyone. I'm new here and on the verge of buying an eOne-Sixty. If you don't mind, I'd just like to ask a couple of questions.
First of all, sizing - are there any pearls of wisdom out there regarding the fit of these bikes? At 5'8 I'd expect to be on a medium but a friend who has a non-powered Merida runs a large (he's the same height). I know preference can come into it but I've no experience as to the effect of the extra mass and its impact on handling - perhaps there isn't any. Anyway, I've typically been riding bikes with a reach of 435mm-ish so expect a medium would be fine.
Secondly, is there much difference in the ride experience between the 800 & 900? Whilst fitting a Fox X2 transformed my Orange, I wondered if the gains were as profound between the two Merida options. I'm also familiar with the Fox 36 having had them on my last two bikes but would certainly entertain the Yari on the 800 given the saving if benefits weren't felt elsewhere.

Joss
Hi Joss,
I originally purchased an 800 but after a few months decided to get the 900e. My wife know rides the 800.
I’ve found the 900 much more enjoyable, better shocks and brakes have made a big difference especially the X2.
The only changes I have made are better pedals and have just ordered shorter cranks because of pedal strike. 175 are a bit long for me so have gone for 150’s from Miranda.
Getting your hands on one could be a challenge.

Joss

Hi Joss,
I originally purchased an 800 but after a few months decided to get the 900e. My wife know rides the 800.
I’ve found the 900 much more enjoyable, better shocks and brakes have made a big difference especially the X2.
The only changes I have made are better pedals and have just ordered shorter cranks because of pedal strike. 175 are a bit long for me so have gone for 150’s from Miranda.
Getting your hands on one could be a challenge.

You're costing me money, writing things like that ;o) Head/wallet says one thing, heart says another!!

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
RE: sizing.

find a telescopic ladder and pick it up in the middle. walk around with it, turn a few times and do a few full rotations either way and also tilt it up and down.
Now extend the ladder to full length and try the same.

That's mtb sizing difference in a nutshell.

The question is, do you want to use your ladder like Jackie...

pwxztgxnjq7tdmbymtnp.gif

or this guy...

41%2Bterry%2Bfunk.gif

Joss

RE: sizing.

find a telescopic ladder and pick it up in the middle. walk around with it, turn a few times and do a few full rotations either way and also tilt it up and down.
Now extend the ladder to full length and try the same.

That's mtb sizing difference in a nutshell.

The question is, do you want to use your ladder like Jackie...

pwxztgxnjq7tdmbymtnp.gif

or this guy...

41%2Bterry%2Bfunk.gif
Ha, that brightened my morning - and for the record, Jackie wins for me! I don't like riding a gate, with my background I'll always get on better with a shorter bike. The question was more about the brand's sizing - there's so much variation between brands and steps between sizes differ as much as the size itself.

Re-Cycle

Jul 13, 2018
Netherlands
I'm 1.70m (is that 5'6?) and ride a size S which suits me perfect. In fact, I'm so happy with the overall sizing and geometry of this bike that I'm starting to think Merida asked me what I wanted before they began drawing the thing :)

I got the chance to test ride a medium. That didn't feel like it was way to big, but I'm glad I ordered size S, for my height and taste it's really perfect.
If you're 5'8 the medium would be the right choice.

As for the 800 or 900, where I live they cost €4.600 resp. €5.000. For 400 euros more you get the Lyrik versus Yari, DT 350 hubs versus Deore, SLX drivetrain and brakes versus XT.
And last but not least I liked the red color way better ;)
So that choice was easy for me.

But having said that, you'll definitely get a very good bike too if you choose the 800.
I was really surprised how flickable a bike of this weight can be, you get used to it in two or three rides and then you'll be riding it like you've never ridden anything else before (y)

spr0cket

Jul 16, 2018
Farnham, Surrey
I tried a large before buying the medium and I'm 5'9"
To be honest, reach on the large was preferable for me, though I like plenty of room to move around and have a long torso in relation to legs (29" inseam). The deciding factor for me, as with most frames I throw a leg over, is the seat post length. I just couldn't live with the length of the large - and would assume, unless you have an inseam greater than say 30" to 31", then the post length for you too will make it unviable.

I've swapped the standard stem to a 50mm Renthal unit which although only marginally longer than stock adds another 10mm or so to the cockpit. Though I have also swapped the bars to narrower 740mm units, which likely counteracts any stem extension.

The stock bars were the only things I didn't get on with - induced wrist and palm pain on every ride. Swapped to the old faithful Renthal carbons and everything is eased.

Joss

I tried a large before buying the medium and I'm 5'9"
To be honest, reach on the large was preferable for me, though I like plenty of room to move around and have a long torso in relation to legs (29" inseam). The deciding factor for me, as with most frames I throw a leg over, is the seat post length. I just couldn't live with the length of the large - and would assume, unless you have an inseam greater than say 30" to 31", then the post length for you too will make it unviable.

I've swapped the standard stem to a 50mm Renthal unit which although only marginally longer than stock adds another 10mm or so to the cockpit. Though I have also swapped the bars to narrower 740mm units, which likely counteracts any stem extension.

The stock bars were the only things I didn't get on with - induced wrist and palm pain on every ride. Swapped to the old faithful Renthal carbons and everything is eased.
Very good information, many thanks. I’m very similarly proportioned and so think I’ll run into just the same issues as you. I nearly fell foul of dropper insertion on a previous bike so know where you’re coming from. Looking forward to heading out on this demo in an hour or so - I genuinely have no idea what it’s going to feel like, being on an e-mtb, or what I’ll make of it...!

Joss

Hi mate.
Where to start?! The ride was fantastic in all respects. Hugely impressed with the bike and couldn't fault the componentry. I wouldn't mind a bit more bite from the brakes but then this was a box-fresh bike and it could probably do with another ride to fully bed them in.
As for sizing, the jury is still out and I need to at least sit on a medium. The large felt a lovely (perfect?) fit but I did need to run the dropper slammed into the frame with no chance of ever fitting a longer unit.
I think on balance I'll likely opt for the medium, once I've had a sit on one...

Absolutely loved the whole e-bike experience and can't wait to be a proud owner. The bubble nearly burst when I exhausted the battery but I made it home with relatively little suffering!! Lesson learned!

Joss

Also, I’m still tired today!! For all the naysayers and doubters, 26 miles and 4000ft of climbing in 2 hours has left me feeling like I’ve had a really good workout, despite being a lot more comfortable on the ride itself.

Happy days.

ChrisB NZ

Aug 21, 2018
Auckland, New Zealand
Great news Joss. I thought you'd like it! Yeah you don't want to ride too far with no battery power. It's like riding in sand. Sounds like Medium may be better for you.

Re the brakes. I find the SLX to be OK. It would be easy enough to swap to a 4 piston Zee or Saint on the front if you wanted he extra grunt.

AdrianJW

Aug 26, 2018
Oxford

Joss
Hi Joss, I am 5’7” and have a medium 900. Perfect size for me.

Joss

Thanks Adrian. The large did feel very nice...
Sorry, didn’t finish that - the large felt very nice but I don’t think the medium would feel too short. Main worry with the large is I’d already have the seatpost at maximum insertion. Now, I’m not expecting my legs to shrink but I do expect droppers to fail eventually and the large’s length of seat tube might make it really hard for me to source a compatible dropper. Pretty sure I’ll end up with a medium.

iscander13

Oct 11, 2021
earth
I'm 1.70m (is that 5'6?) and ride a size S which suits me perfect. In fact, I'm so happy with the overall sizing and geometry of this bike that I'm starting to think Merida asked me what I wanted before they began drawing the thing :)

I got the chance to test ride a medium. That didn't feel like it was way to big, but I'm glad I ordered size S, for my height and taste it's really perfect.
If you're 5'8 the medium would be the right choice.

As for the 800 or 900, where I live they cost €4.600 resp. €5.000. For 400 euros more you get the Lyrik versus Yari, DT 350 hubs versus Deore, SLX drivetrain and brakes versus XT.
And last but not least I liked the red color way better ;)
So that choice was easy for me.

But having said that, you'll definitely get a very good bike too if you choose the 800.
I was really surprised how flickable a bike of this weight can be, you get used to it in two or three rides and then you'll be riding it like you've never ridden anything else before (y)
Hi how youre Merida looks in s-size. Could you post some photo please

Brent8275

May 28, 2021
Auckland
I'm 168 or 5'6 and I ride a small. I have the seat post all the way down into the seat tube, and at full extension its a perfect riding height. Note that the seat post still sticks out about 20mm as that is as far as it will go down due to the shorter seat tube.

I run the seat is pushed slightly forward from the centre to reduce the reach and straighten my back out a bit while climbing.

Feels perfect for me.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles